** The Traffic/Parking Ticket Thread ** Advice, Rants & Raves

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 08:03 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Old 07-24-2009, 08:23 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 222 Likes on 183 Posts
Yeah west palm troopers can be hard asses. I had it happen to me.
Trooper pulled me over, after chasing to catch up with me on the turnpike just after the plaza N bound. Only to give me a window tint ticket.
The fact he choose you & not the other car was cause that plate cover caught his eye, followed by the tint. He was just looking to generate revenue. 78 isn't really speeding on the turnpike. I do 90 sometimes & get passed.
I also have been stopped for a plate cover by the PBSO, which then led to a window tint reading. I no longer use a plate cover.
Old 07-24-2009, 08:33 AM
on to the next one...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 1StGenCL
Any idea why this happened? Just looking for someone or doing a bit of profiling? My friend is a cop and said they were looking for an excuse to pull me over but once they realized I was a "skinny, scared, white boy" they didn't care. I have a copper colored Infiniti FX which does have big wheels (20s that came stock) and black windows so I guess I looked shady. Had to lighten the cop mood in here, this cop was really really cool and he was a trooper
My wife drives our FX with 20's and 20% tint - she's been stopped twice this year already, but once they see she's a 100 lbs. white girl, they tell her to "have your husband do something about these tinted windows" and sends her on her way.

I'd like to think profiling doesn't happen, but ...
Old 07-24-2009, 08:41 AM
registered pw

Received 354 Likes on 252 Posts
i was driving from philly on the turnpike and the flow of traffic was 85-90+ and we all passed a smokey bear. Not a single brake light lit up.
Old 07-24-2009, 08:43 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by moeronn
I had an okay experience last Friday.

Got pulled over for:
Speeding - 85 in a 65
Tailgating - jack ass in front of me wouldn't move over
expired proof of insurance
expired tags - but had the new tags in my glove box

She asked me what the reason was for me driving like that. I said "no particular reason" when I should have said "I wish I had a good reason."

Ticket was:
Warned on speed
Following too close - 1 point
expired tags - fix it
expired proof of insurance - fix it

No mention of tint or no front license.

Now I just have to ask the judge to allow me to take traffic school, even though it's been less than 1 year since my last ticket. Maybe I should slow down.
Regarding your expired proof of insurace issue, did you have to go to the judge? I was pulled over for speeding a couple weeks ago and mistakenly gave the trooper my expired one, once i realized it I found my recent one and tried to give it to him. But he said "too late"....grrrr...

I'm planning to go to court for it and hopefully the "expired insurance" issue will be taken cared without a hiccup. As for my speeding...I hope it gets reduced...74mph on a 55mph.
Old 07-24-2009, 08:46 AM
Карты убийцы

Received 125 Likes on 100 Posts
Originally Posted by 1StGenCL
I assumed he was grabbing the girl that passed me but decided to get me for my license plate frame haha He said it covered part of "florida" up on the tag which is illegal. I know this is illegal but it is a standard UF frame that everyone has so I wasn't too worried.
You weren't profiled. The UF frame told the world that "I'm a jackass."

Go COCKS!
Old 07-24-2009, 08:46 AM
I now drive an accord....

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Couple months ago I was driving from the gym to BJ's with my fiance in the car. It was sprinkling rain out so it was cloudy and I had the windows up. I suddenly see the flashing lights behind me and pull over. I roll down my windows and the cop comes up to my window and tells me he is pulling me over for the tint on my windows. He asked if it was factory or aftermarket. I said I didn't know even though I was the one who had it done right after I bought the car. He had me roll up the window a little bit and determined it was aftermarket. He asked if I bought the car that was and I once again said yes, which was a lie. He took my papers and went back to his car. About 5 min later he came back and just told me to get the tint taken off when I can.

He was nice but I sure I was pulled over because I was driving a nice looking black car with tinted windows. Once he saw we were two white people with sweaty gym clothes on he changed his agenda.
Old 07-24-2009, 11:23 AM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,484 Likes on 1,048 Posts
I wonder if cops will pull you over for tint even if you have nothing else on. for example, I have a Honda Accord sedan, if I put tint on and nothing else I'm wondering if I'd get pulled over.

This is exactly why I want to have a sleeper. No wheels, lip kit, nothing fancy to attract cops, but everything to get away from them jk

I'm kind of worried of modding my car now because I reeeeally don't want any attention from traffic police.
Old 07-24-2009, 11:26 AM
I now drive an accord....

Originally Posted by AMAN1
I wonder if cops will pull you over for tint even if you have nothing else on. for example, I have a Honda Accord sedan, if I put tint on and nothing else I'm wondering if I'd get pulled over.

This is exactly why I want to have a sleeper. No wheels, lip kit, nothing fancy to attract cops, but everything to get away from them jk

I'm kind of worried of modding my car now because I reeeeally don't want any attention from traffic police.
If tint is illegal where you live then it depends on what mood the cop is in. If the tint is illegal they have every right to pull you over whether your car is modded or not.

My car has been tinted for 6 years years and this is the first time I have had a problem with it. Most cops complement me on the way the car looks.
Old 07-24-2009, 12:38 PM
Stop Drop and Roll

Red Light Cameras

I ran a red light making a left turn which I could of sworn it was a yellow and received a ticket for it about ten days later. The ticket shows me behind the intersection when it was red and in the intersection when it was red. Its my first violation in California.

My questions are...

1. Does this count as points if I just pay for it?
2. How do I know if I'm eligible for traffic school
3. Are there ways to get out of this? I heard you can ignore the ticket since its sent through regular postal mail and just say you never got it. Does it eventually just drop off the system after X years? I read somewhere that in Arizona, it drops off after 3 years.

Yes I did search, but I didnt find any info relevant to my questions.
Old 07-24-2009, 01:25 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,102 Likes on 763 Posts
Originally Posted by jtsangAZ
Its my first violation in California.

My questions are...

1. Does this count as points if I just pay for it?
2. How do I know if I'm eligible for traffic school
3. Are there ways to get out of this? I heard you can ignore the ticket since its sent through regular postal mail and just say you never got it. Does it eventually just drop off the system after X years? I read somewhere that in Arizona, it drops off after 3 years.

Yes I did search, but I didnt find any info relevant to my questions.
Check the DMV website and the Traffic FAQ for the County Court in which you received the ticket (as directed on the ticket info) for the answers? If not, your search sucked.

1. Yes.
2. Been to traffic school in the preceding 18 mos.? If not, you're likely eligible w/o having to get a court order.
3. Yes, but ignoring the ticket is not one of them.
If the ticket is ignored, the registered owner of a CA-licensed vehicle would have his/her license either suspended or put on non-renewable status with the DMV while the penalties and collection fees escalate.

Oh, and it's a $380+ moving violation.
Old 07-24-2009, 02:15 PM
Stage 1 Audi S5

Received 1,157 Likes on 682 Posts
Originally Posted by Professor
You weren't profiled. The UF frame told the world that "I'm a jackass."

Go COCKS!
Hmm what sounds better to you, Jackass or Cock? You may want to think about your answer...

Yea, I'm really thinking he was going after her and decided I looked "shady" and was sorely disappointed when he found me in a suit and tie haha

Again, really cool trooper and an over all good experience seeing how he could have technically given me two tickets and instead went with a warning.
Old 07-24-2009, 10:06 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 222 Likes on 183 Posts
FL is FINALLY testing red light camera's. I'm ALL for them!
FL may handle it different then Cali. It as backwards IMHO. But it's a start.
The fine is $100.
In FL, a camera ticket is not a moving violation cause a cop did not witness to issue a ticket & the state can not prove the person driving is the owner.
There's are no points, no reports to insurance, & if you don't pay it, there's nothing the state can do to you except forward it to collection.
Old 07-24-2009, 10:23 PM
GO RANGERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Received 1,775 Likes on 1,234 Posts
Originally Posted by fuzzy02CLS
FL is FINALLY testing red light camera's. I'm ALL for them!
FL may handle it different then Cali. It as backwards IMHO. But it's a start.
The fine is $100.
In FL, a camera ticket is not a moving violation cause a cop did not witness to issue a ticket & the state can not prove the person driving is the owner.
There's are no points, no reports to insurance, & if you don't pay it, there's nothing the state can do to you except forward it to collection.
In Az all that is true but they send letters implying you will be convicted if you don't pay/reply but they send the same letter a month after the first deadline that is identical (except the due date is changed)

They threaten that you will be charged additional fees due to personal service but from what I understand it never happens.

This is on freeway speed cameras not redlight.
Old 07-27-2009, 01:05 PM
Advanced

Am I getting my license suspended?

On July 3 on Route 80 in Fairfield, NJ I got a ticket by a state trooper for doing 82 in a 65where it's a "65 MPH ZONE" and an improper passing ticket, meaning I passed a guy doing 55 in the left lane instead of tailgaiting and flashing my high beams to make him move over. I was driving to work at 4:45PM and the state trooper said that wasn't an excuse. Now, I plead not guilty and hoped that would move my court date. They said the max they could push it back was a week because it was a MANDATORY court date. I'm not entirely sure why I HAVE to go. The only reason what I can think of is, its my 3rd or 4th offense in 5 years. I have zero points. But the speeding ticket is 4 points and the improper passing is 4 points. Which equals 8. However, in New Jersey, if you have used both of your "unsafe driving" in 5 years, they ADD 2 points to each offense. So that means my speeding ticket would equal 6 points and my improper passing would be 6 points which would mean my license will be suspended. Is that what is going to happen to me? In which case i'd rather just pay the summons and take the 8 points rather than have the 12 and suspended license. My court date is August 6th. Also I noticed. On my speeding ticket, it doesn't say what he used to measure my speed. There are 3 boxes: Aircraft, Pace, or Speed Measurement Device.
Old 07-27-2009, 01:11 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,484 Likes on 1,048 Posts
I've never understood the improper passing ticket thing, everybody passes on the right if the guy doesn't move. Don't necessarily challenge it, but IMO it's just stupid, the cop was being a dick with that. Otherwise, just take it, try to play nice and ask the judge to lower it.
Old 07-27-2009, 01:16 PM
Missing My CL-S

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
call the DMV and ask?
Old 07-27-2009, 01:17 PM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ok, story time.

I'm coming back from a wedding this weekend Sunday morning after being up for 26+ hours straight through a wedding, reception, and being out on the town with a girl I met at the reception. I wanted to get home and sleep in my own bed (2 1/2 hour drive). I was running 90+ in a 60 trying to stay awake. If I was going any slower I would have fallen asleep. The road was pretty void of traffic as it was early on a Sunday morning.

My radar detector was too late as the cop was sitting extremely far off the side of the road so my scope didn't catch him until it was too late. Anyway I was tired, smelled like alcohol(same clothes on from the night before), and was jittery from too many redbull/vodkas the night before. When I got to the side of the road I rolled all my windows down, car off, hands on the steering wheel, keys on the dash. The officer approached and asked for my ID and registration. I retrieved my DL from my wallet and asked permission to search for my registration as it was in the glove compartment or center console ( didn't remember which) I got the two items and gave it to him.

He went back to his car and 10 seconds later I hear a blip. I check my side view and he's motioning me to come back to his car. I go back hop in the passenger side and he said he was going to have me blow since he smelled alcohol(rightfully so). So I blew and he didn't show me the recording and made some comments about his battiers being low. I ended up blowing 2 more times for him with the same reaction. I don't know if he was telling the truth or just wasn't convinced I wasn't drunk. He radioed for another unit (two showed up) to have me blow on another portable machine. He administered a hand eye coordination test with a pen as we waited. I blew a .01 on the other machine and they were finally convinced I wasn't drunk and I explained how I was tired and probably jittery from lack of sleep and redbull the night before (which ended like 4-5 hours previous to the encounter).

Anyway, I don't know if being polite or being a white kid helped me at all but he ended up writing me up for 85/60 so I didn't get a reckless charge and let me go.

I guess I made it out of the situation about as well off as possible.

There was one funny happening though. The second officer that pulled up to give me the blow test on his meter walked up to the window right next to me, stuck his head in, and said "Have you ever been arrested before?" I was like WTF heh.

All in all they seemed like pretty cool guys. It's the first time I've ever had an experience with a state trooper where he wasn't an arrogant fuck wad. These guys were older and all seemed like pals (one mentioned going fishing later during their casual conversation).

Last edited by Josh99CL; 07-27-2009 at 01:20 PM.
Old 07-27-2009, 01:24 PM
Advanced

If I ask the DMV whether I get my license suspended they'd just refer me to the Fairfield court and then they say wait for your court date.
Old 07-27-2009, 01:29 PM
I drive a Subata.

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,571 Posts
I live in CA, so it should be different.

However, I don't see how you'd get your license suspended just by receiving a speeding ticket when you have zero points at the moment.

Just pay the crap and be done with it or call a lawyer.
Old 07-27-2009, 01:51 PM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OT a little but does anyone know if there is an easy way to tell how many points you have on your license or to check what violations are currently on record for it?
Old 07-27-2009, 01:51 PM
I shave my change purse

Received 155 Likes on 87 Posts
It's ultimately up to the Judge that hears your case whether or not you get suspended. All you would be doing is getting "guesses" from here.

Pay for a lawyer if you want your changes to be better.
Old 07-27-2009, 01:52 PM
I shave my change purse

Received 155 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by Josh99CL
OT a little but does anyone know if there is an easy way to tell how many points you have on your license or to check what violations are currently on record for it?
In NY, you can go to the DMV and get a printer "Driver abstract" for about $10. It shows you everything on your record including how many points you have.

Not sure if its the same where you live.
Old 07-27-2009, 02:38 PM
Advanced

I don't think a lawyer would do much. All they would do is a half assed job of getting me nowhere. I once spoke to a laywer about a tailgating ticket and he said max he could do was 2 points. I went there myself and got 0 points. I'm asking whether anyone has any tips, advice, or similiar experiences that could help me out. Could it be possible that my speeding ticket could be dropped?
Old 07-28-2009, 08:05 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,770 Likes on 4,341 Posts
Tip: Mandatory court date and you don't know the rules = Lawyer up.

Seriously, that's probably the best tip or advice you'll get. Unless you get lucky and a NJ traffic lawyer happens to be a member here.
Old 07-28-2009, 11:31 PM
Advanced

damn, I wonder how much a lawyer is going to cost me. Plus, how do I know which ones are good and which ones aren't?
Old 08-15-2009, 05:44 AM
この道は毛むくじゃらのマンコだらけ..

Received 219 Likes on 118 Posts
Ref ticket in CA advice?

Hey guys... sooo I was given a ref ticket about a hour or two ago....
Any advice on what to do? I know I have to put my exhaust and intake back to stock, but is there anything else I should do? Also, does anyone know how much it costs to get my car checked at the ref station, and then the fees at the court? It says I have to show up in court... does that mean I have to go there and show them the paperwork stating that my car is fine?
Old 08-15-2009, 05:49 AM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Sucks dude. Yes, revert to stock, I'm pretty sure you have to get everything done with paperwork to prove it, and pay some BS fees too. I'll ask my friend since he just got a ref ticket for his Evo X a month or two ago.
Old 08-15-2009, 06:03 AM
この道は毛むくじゃらのマンコだらけ..

Thanks bro! I just need to find out the process and how much it costs total, from the ref station to the payment at court! thanks!!

i'll post my ticket later today. I'm fucking pissed!

Last edited by onebadna1nsx; 08-15-2009 at 06:08 AM.
Old 08-15-2009, 12:44 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
Make everything stock or legal and have docs to support it. Friend of mine had to go and they went over his entire car and made sure everything was right. It was a huge pain in the ass for him.

As for cost, I can't remember exactly but it was more than I thought he should pay. Call and set up an appointment and get the inspection then show the court.
Old 08-15-2009, 01:22 PM
Needs more Lemon Pledge

Received 2,000 Likes on 1,173 Posts
Why did you get the ticket? Is the exhaust too loud?
Old 08-15-2009, 01:28 PM
I got the Shifts

Received 230 Likes on 163 Posts
whats a REF TCKET?
Old 08-15-2009, 02:24 PM
'07 ASM TL NAV

yeah, you'll have to make an appt with them. Here is the phone number 1-800-622-7733. As far as i know the inspection is free.
Old 08-15-2009, 03:27 PM
この道は毛むくじゃらのマンコだらけ..

Long story short, someone called the cops and said many people were racing or driving reckless around the city... 4 cops pulled up to our shop as we were closing the gates and getting ready to go home. These cops went out of their ways to come out and interrogate us, and then pop all of our hoods and accuse us of street racing... then they proceeded to give us ref tickets and went on their merry way.
Old 08-15-2009, 03:37 PM
Team Owner

Received 105 Likes on 69 Posts
Wow, what bullshit.
Old 08-15-2009, 03:42 PM
この道は毛むくじゃらのマンコだらけ..

Wasted 2 hours of my fucking sleep dealing with this bullshit... they held us for about 2 hours.
Old 08-15-2009, 05:59 PM
Sounders FC

Should have told the cops to F off. They can't just force random people to pop their hoods.
Old 08-15-2009, 09:29 PM
Needs more Lemon Pledge

Received 2,000 Likes on 1,173 Posts
What the hell does looking in your engine bay have to do with racing?

It's an engine. Most cars have them.

If I happen to be there in my Bugatti Veyron, but hadn't been racing, would I have gotten the biggest ticket for having the biggest engine?

I say fight it if you weren't really racing. No one saw YOU racing.
Old 08-15-2009, 09:58 PM
この道は毛むくじゃらのマンコだらけ..

Originally Posted by stogie1020
What the hell does looking in your engine bay have to do with racing?

It's an engine. Most cars have them.

If I happen to be there in my Bugatti Veyron, but hadn't been racing, would I have gotten the biggest ticket for having the biggest engine?

I say fight it if you weren't really racing. No one saw YOU racing.
We weren't racing at all... And yes, there weren't any witnesses to us supposedly "racing".

They only ticketed us for VC 27156(B)- Smog Device, vehicle not equipped with device when required, or device has been disconnected or modified.

That's fucking retarted, because all I have is an axleback exhaust (it doesn't alter emissions), and a intake... but the Intake isn't CARB legal, so if I fought the ref ticket I would have lost, and had to pay a $250 fine. I'll just go to the ref center, put my exhaust and intake back to normal, pay the fee for them to test my car, then go to court with the papers showing my car is well within the smog pollution limits. It's a freaking BS ticket though....

BTW Stogie just wondering, but since we were already parked on the driveway at the shop, and getting ready to close, would the police still have be able to ticket us? They did pop our hoods and search us on the driveway of the shop..
Old 08-16-2009, 03:19 AM
Safety Car

Received 619 Likes on 459 Posts
man you guys straight up fail. Know your rights. You were on private property. *also was it your shop*? Tell them to fuck off in a nicely and profession way. They cannot search you with probable cause. Just move the car back into the garage, and lock the door tell them to come back with warranty if they want to look around. No free show today. Don't be afraid of cops at one point in time they were there to protect the peace.

Your conversation should have been like this *for future reference*
You: Hello officer is there a problem or are we disturbing the peace in anyway?
Cop: something blah blah blah street racing
You: Well officer we were not street racing do you have any proof / evidence?
Cop: going to make up some bs
You: So am I free to go? Or am I being arrested?
After that he would try to trick you n try to make you give up yours rights of to a search. Just be firm. Pretty much he will leave you alone after. But yeah it suck Cali is soo screwed up. State doesn't have money they gotta make it from somewhere, and BS tickets are the key. I know a guy that got a ticket for illegal modify muffler on a stock STI. LOL the muffler even says Subaru it.

As for the ticket it cause 40 bucks to do a state ref. i believe. I had to get my friend LS swap motor State ref and barred. Swap your oem intake back on and leave the axle back. As long as you meet the 95db requirement you are fine. If you try to go in with your intake that automatic fail since it is not CARB.

Quick Reply: ** The Traffic/Parking Ticket Thread ** Advice, Rants & Raves