Odometer backlight & sport shift indicator not working

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 05:12 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Odometer backlight & sport shift indicator not working

This is my first post--thanks in advance. I have a 2002 TL Type S, 107k miles. The backlight for the odometer area (also has outside temp, door open indicator, etc) doesn't work. The sport shift gear indicator light stopped working at the exact same time--when in SS mode the D5 light remains lit and the gear indicator LED's remain dark, although SS still shifts normally. Also, the "ashtray" light stopped working at the same time too.

The problem was intermittent at first. Now the lights never work. Doesn't seem to be a fuse problem, but I haven't pulled all of them.

A web search turns up a service bulletin for '01 CL-S. It's bulletin 402. The summary says: INFORMATION ON SERVICING THE ODOMETER, SPORT SHIFT INDICATOR ILLUMINATION INOPERATIVE. ( NHTSA ITEM NUMBER - 637938 ). I can't however find a copy of this bulletin.

Any help on a solution will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old 06-06-2008, 05:29 PM
Intermediate

I have the same exact problem on my 99 TL. I wish someone had a solution to this.
Old 06-06-2008, 05:48 PM
3rd Gear

I've done a bit of detective work since I originally posted this thread. It's definitely not a fuse. My guess is that I've got a loose electrical connection, most likely behind the instrument panel. When I get some free time I'm going to pull out the instrument panel to see if I can find and fix the problem.

I'll post a follow-up if/when I have an answer.

BTW, the "ashtray" light being out seems unrelated.
Old 07-01-2008, 11:31 AM
2006 NBP TL MT6/ 02TL-S

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
Any new info on this?

This is my first post also. I just (also) bought an 02 TL Type S and have the same problem. The backlights work on the speedo, but the section under it with the odometer, tripometer, outside temp, and warning lights do not light up at all.

I have no working indicator lights down on the console by the gear shift that show what gear it is in. Is there supposed to be lights here by each shift position?

The gear shift indicator lights on the tach gauge do work, but when i put it in sports shift, the light just stays on beside "D5" and does not change with actual gear selection. Are these lights supposed to follow the gear selected by the SS feature-surely they are????
Thanks
Old 07-02-2008, 10:01 AM
Instructor

I had the exact same issue in my '03 last year. It would turn off for a few days, then come back for several weeks. Eventually, it just stayed off. I brought it to the attention of the dealer when I was getting my tranny replaced and they fixed it.

Here is what I posted on the issue, and you can probably find additional info via searches on this board.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=172142
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=172607
Old 07-06-2008, 03:44 PM
No He Can't

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by AlanW
This is my first post also. I just (also) bought an 02 TL Type S and have the same problem. The backlights work on the speedo, but the section under it with the odometer, tripometer, outside temp, and warning lights do not light up at all.

I have no working indicator lights down on the console by the gear shift that show what gear it is in. Is there supposed to be lights here by each shift position?

The gear shift indicator lights on the tach gauge do work, but when i put it in sports shift, the light just stays on beside "D5" and does not change with actual gear selection. Are these lights supposed to follow the gear selected by the SS feature-surely they are????
Thanks
Does your SS mode still work and the lights won't light up, or does SS mode not work at all?
Old 07-07-2008, 01:49 PM
2006 NBP TL MT6/ 02TL-S

Backlighting...

KSuchdeve, my SS was working (shifting) right, just no indicator light to tell you what gear it was in.

Well, my lights magically started working, for 1 day anyway, so I saw how it is SUPPOSED to be. The area at the bottom of the speedo, the area with the outside temp, odometer, tripometer, etc....is supposed to be lit up at all times the engine is running, headlights on or off. Over on the tach, to the right of the line of P-R-N-D5-D4-D3-D2-D1 indicator lights-there is a little black square. When the backlights are working, and you put the shift lever over into SS, the little black square shows the digit for what gear you are in.

I still did not see any working gear shift indicator lights down on the console by the gear shifter, even though it sure seems like there should be some there. I guess you are suppose to go by the indicator lights on the tach.
Old 07-07-2008, 06:38 PM
Cruisin'

Common problem, it is caused by a bad circuit board that controls the illumination to the odometer and such. Not the entire gauge cluster circuit board but there is a small on the main board that needs replacing.
Old 07-08-2008, 02:45 PM
2006 NBP TL MT6/ 02TL-S

Very Interesting.......

Originally Posted by Acura Fixer
Common problem, it is caused by a bad circuit board that controls the illumination to the odometer and such. Not the entire gauge cluster circuit board but there is a small on the main board that needs replacing.
Very interesting indeed.
Could you please provide any more info on this, where I could fine the TSB on this problem, part number for the board, DIY instructions, basically anything I could jam up a service writer's as_ ???

I just got back from local Acura dealer. Went in to have my "SRS" light checked-bad OPDS, which is under warranty & new part is on order.

Anyway, while there, I told the service writer about this backlight problem and said I thought there was a TSB on it. He said he had never heard of any, but would check it out. He came back and said to fix it, it would take 7 light bulbs at about $7.00 each & 2 hours of labor @ $95/hr....so over $200.

I said I really didn't think it was just burned out bulbs because sometimes it works great. He just said, "well, this what my tech said and he's pretty good at what he does."
Old 07-08-2008, 08:20 PM
Cruisin'

Very interesting indeed.
Could you please provide any more info on this, where I could fine the TSB on this problem, part number for the board, DIY instructions, basically anything I could jam up a service writer's as_ ???

I just got back from local Acura dealer. Went in to have my "SRS" light checked-bad OPDS, which is under warranty & new part is on order.

Anyway, while there, I told the service writer about this backlight problem and said I thought there was a TSB on it. He said he had never heard of any, but would check it out. He came back and said to fix it, it would take 7 light bulbs at about $7.00 each & 2 hours of labor @ $95/hr....so over $200.

I said I really didn't think it was just burned out bulbs because sometimes it works great. He just said, "well, this what my tech said and he's pretty good at what he does."
There is no TSB on this issue, I can say that it is not a widespread issue and maybe happens to maybe less than 1% of all TL's. The only TSB for a backlighting problem is for the TSX in which the radios circuit board would need to be replaced.

It is not the bulbs that are the problem but the little secondary circuit board as I said before. I dont know how much that part is but its under a 100 bucks if I remember correctly. We usually charge 1.5 hours for the job as we have to take out and apart the instrument cluster. If you look at the parts catalog picture of the cluster you will see the main board and a little rectangular one, that is the one you need. It controls the illumination to the odometer and sport shift section. You could probably do it yourself if you take some time, its not that hard. Hope this helps.
Old 07-09-2008, 08:52 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Acura Fixer
There is no TSB on this issue, I can say that it is not a widespread issue and maybe happens to maybe less than 1% of all TL's.
I was told by the dealer that there was a TSB on the issue and they fixed it free of charge. Additionally, given that several owners just on this board have had this issue, I would say that it is more widespread than 1% of all TLs.
Old 07-09-2008, 06:34 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by sb65
I was told by the dealer that there was a TSB on the issue and they fixed it free of charge. Additionally, given that several owners just on this board have had this issue, I would say that it is more widespread than 1% of all TLs.
If there was a TSB I'm sure I would know about it. If you have the TSB number please post it and I can look it up. Also about the 1% of TL's, do you know how many second gen TL's were made total? Probably close to a million. 1% of that seems reasonable.
Old 07-25-2008, 01:55 PM
2006 NBP TL MT6/ 02TL-S

Problem Fixed !!!!!

Thanks to Acura Fixer he is/was exactly correct about the cause of this problem. The problem was not burned out bulbs, although you might have some, it is indeed the small circuit board on the back of the gauge cluster. It is an easy fix.

After my dealer wanted 2 HOURS of LABOR @ $95/hr. to remove the gauge cluster and replace 7 lights bulbs (over $200 total) which was not even the right fix-I discovered I can remove the dash board cover and have the gauge cluster out in 10 minutes flat. 2 hours labor my azz...

Anyway, this is all you need-go to AcuraAutomotiveParts.org and enter your car model & year info (mine is 02 TL-S) Then select "Meter Components" from the list.
The little circuit board for my model was part# 78147-SOK-A01 "Print Panel" for $32.38. There are also 4 light bulbs for the backlighting you might want to get also, just in case one or more are really burned out-these are only #3.83 each.
They are the lights you see on the back of the gauge cluster with the RED base
( part # 78181-SOK-A21 ; 9.5 V ; 1.14W)

The little circuit board just plugs/unplugs from & snaps down on the main board of the cluster, and the little lights just twist out. Since changing mine out, it has worked perfectly and has not missed a lick since. It fixes the Sports Shift indicator light also, so you tell what gear you are in when using SS.

Thanks, Acura Fixer, for the tip!
Old 08-01-2008, 03:23 PM
Cruisin'

Glad I could help out.
Old 08-25-2008, 07:31 PM
9th Gear

There is Acura Service News "newsletter" dated June 2002 which has a paragraph dedicated to odometer and sportshift indicator not illuminating where they reference the part 78147-S0K-A01.

Does this count as TSB?

Also to AlanW - apart from removing the two screws on the cover - how do you remove it, (hopefully without breaking it)?

thank you,

dave
Old 08-25-2008, 09:55 PM
1st Gear

Same Problem

I have an 02 TL-S with same LCD backlight intermittent problem. THANKS for the posts. Now, can someone point me to any posts that tell how to remove the instrument cluster? I get nervous working around those yellow air bag wires! Thanks....Steve
Old 08-27-2008, 06:33 PM
10th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Add me to the list with this same problem. Now I can fix it with all this great information. Mine had been going off intermittently, but was out all day today.

Thanks
Mike
02 TL Type S.
Old 08-28-2008, 06:35 AM
1st Gear

Me Three

You can add me to this list. Thought it had to do with something, and had contemplated wiring the proper voltage to the panel. Thanks for all the great info!!
Old 08-29-2008, 09:47 AM
10th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Alan W. Thanks for all the part numbers and referral to AcuraAutomotiveParts.org
I would never have looked under "meter components"? I would have been searching for "guages", "cluster", "odometer", "dash"!!! The nice thing about that dealer's web site is the exploded views which help for the removal and installation. I have ordered my parts and can't wait to get it fixed.
Old 08-30-2008, 01:09 PM
9th Gear

BTW AcuraOEMParts.com has better shipping rates to California. They also have the same ordering system as delray.

I am still interested in any tips on how to remove the dash cover/panel.

Thanks -

dave
Old 08-31-2008, 06:13 AM
9th Gear

Originally Posted by dfigu
They also have the same ordering system as delray.
Correction - what I meant to say, (acuraoemparts.com) has the same ordering system as "AcuraAutomotiveParts.org".
Old 09-02-2008, 10:28 AM
2006 NBP TL MT6/ 02TL-S

DIY for Dash Board Removal :

http://files.subtledream.com/TL/reve...low_gauges.htm

This DIY is really for reverse glow gauge installation, but it will show how to get the dash cover off and gauge cluster out. It is not as good as the DIY dash board removal post I originally found back when the search function would work right.

Hope this helps! This would be a good time to check all the little light bulbs behind gauges, inside switches, and in the control panel for climate control, etc.....order the little bulbs at the same time you order the circuit board.

Lights bulbs for the insdie of switches are listed under "Switches"
Lights bulbs for behind the gauges are listed under "meter componets"
Lights bulbs for the climate control section are listed under either "heater control" or AC Control"
Old 09-04-2008, 02:27 PM
9th Gear

Thanks Alan,

The above link did not work for me.

I had no directions but went ahead and did it anyway. Removing the cover was tricky; Since I had already removed the radio dash cover (I'm replacing the radio), it was easier to start on the right side where the fan controls are. Otherwise - darn that would have been hard... I guess you have to use a non-maring pry tool. It must exist.

Once released from its hooks, it turns out that you should pull the cover out starting the bottom, not the top... I managed to get it out with a few scuff marks, since I tried several ways before I figured it out. To do this the steering wheel top cover must also be removed.

I did end having to replace one of the lamp bulbs that that was either out or was very dim. Actually I went ahead and replaced all four of them.

There is a guide on this board after all, I found it after the fact:fix for rattle behind instrument cluster.

After I did the the above fix the SRS light came on, and had to be reset. There is a reset procedure that involves a sequence of shorting/releasing the SRS connector. The fix for that is described here: srs reset thread - post 39. Also look for picture of cable that needs to be jumpered in post 16 of this thread.

I took some pictures, if anyone is interested - not sure how to post them though.

cheers,

dave
Old 09-04-2008, 07:15 PM
9th Gear

Sorry if this is a nob question but is the gear indicator (the digital one that indicates which gear the tranny is in) supposed to be lit when in auto or just in SS mode? Mine only shows the gears when in SS mode but I just purchased this car so I'm not sure if that's how it's supposed to work or if my circuit board is broken as well.

Thanks!
Old 09-04-2008, 08:27 PM
9th Gear

Matt -The gear indication light is only on when you are using SS, so you're good. I guess it would be cool if it was always on.
Old 09-05-2008, 01:02 AM
9th Gear

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by dfigu
Matt -The gear indication light is only on when you are using SS, so you're good. I guess it would be cool if it was always on.
OK good. I was worried for a bit since my Mazda6's gear indicator is always on, whether you're in SS or auto.
Old 09-05-2008, 01:05 AM
Drifting

Received 212 Likes on 100 Posts
Matt is that you?

macky
Old 09-05-2008, 01:27 AM
9th Gear

Talking

Originally Posted by sixsixfour
Matt is that you?

macky

Old 01-12-2010, 07:29 PM
Advanced

I just noticed the same problem in my 2002 TLS tonight for the first time. This forum is great. This isn't the first time something that seemed like it could be expen$ive turns out to be relatively minor... The last time was the heater blowing cold air. Cleaning and lubricating the cable that goes through the firewall to the water valve, per info from this site, fixed the problem for free.
Old 06-23-2011, 08:20 PM
6th Gear

I talked with a Honda Dealer who said they have the same problem....but he said it was a bad display modular circuit board inside the radio, and thus it needed to be taken out.

My Odometer, trip, temperature cluster lights are out.

Thanks

Mike
Old 09-12-2011, 06:53 PM
1st Gear

Smile

Anyway, this is all you need-go to AcuraAutomotiveParts.org and enter your car model & year info (mine is 02 TL-S) Then select "Meter Components" from the list.
The little circuit board for my model was part# 78147-SOK-A01 "Print Panel" for $32.38. There are also 4 light bulbs for the backlighting you might want to get also, just in case one or more are really burned out-these are only #3.83 each.
I created an Odometer Backlight Repair Video for the Acura TL using these instructions above .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKN4-kMOC0Q
Old 11-28-2011, 07:20 PM
10th Gear

I might be in the wrong thread and if I am I'd love some guidance where to go. My center console on my 03 TL is having a few electrical issues:

The gear shift lights stopped working.
Recently the a/c display it acting funny, switching from 72 to 90 degrees without me touching it. Or if I do turn the temp dial it goes all over the place.

I sense a loose wire or circuit failure. Thoughts?
Old 09-17-2012, 04:11 PM
6th Gear

I tried this fix and it didn't work my Odometer lights are still dim....Lot of money for nothing.
Old 09-17-2012, 04:52 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 784 Likes on 743 Posts
If you have a dim light, it's better than no light at all.
I'm assuming that you replaced the bulb and checked the connectors.
Is it possible that perhaps the dimmer rheostat is funky, or is it only the odo ?
Old 09-18-2012, 03:42 PM
6th Gear

The the dimmer rheostat works just fine, when I turn it ALL the lights dim, radio everything (I have NO light in the gear shift area where the shifter is on the console) but all else dims ok.
Old 01-27-2013, 12:35 PM
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Props to Acura Fixer and AlanW - just fixed the exact problem with my 1999 Acura TL with their advice:

I also ordered four of the blue backed lights in the attached picture. You can use a volt meter to check for resistence of the light bulbs when you remove them. In my case, my TL has 214K and had four of the blue plastic backed lights out as well as the four red ones I ordered from the above part list. The blue backed (white lights) are part number 35505-SJ4-003 (Socket)(14V 3W)
Also props to YouTube video:
Old 01-28-2013, 06:52 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 784 Likes on 743 Posts
Yeah, it's a rather common issue with the odo backlight. This thread was a good reference to be able to fix it yourself, rather than get ripped big $ at the dealer !
Old 10-23-2015, 08:29 PM
2nd Gear

So I replaced that circuit board and the odometer light works just fine...EXCEPT THAT THE ODOMETER LIGHT WORKED FINE BEFORE AND THE PROBLEM WAS THE BACKLIGHTS TO THE TACH, SPEEDOMETER, FUEL GAUGE AND TEMP GAUGE WERENT WORKING AND ARE STILL NOT WORKING. HAHAHA!

I read this thread wrong. Any ideas on the repair to the gauges mentioned above? I've checked fuses per other threads and they all seem to be fine. TIA.
Old 10-24-2015, 12:18 AM
Pro

Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts
The bulbs test ok?
Old 10-25-2015, 10:59 PM
2nd Gear

Yeap, the bulbs are good. In a quandary. 0_o.

Quick Reply: Odometer backlight & sport shift indicator not working