Rubbing sound coming from wheels?

Old 04-04-2009, 09:43 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rubbing sound coming from wheels?

When I drive I hear this sound as if something is rubbing somewhere by the front wheels. It kind of sounds like my tire is rubbing against something, but I have a feeling it's not the tire. When I turn the steering wheel to the left the sound gets louder. When I turn it to the right the sound goes away. I can also lightly feel the vibration in the gas pedal while driving.

Any ideas?

TIA
Old 04-04-2009, 11:21 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 439 Likes on 322 Posts
I experience something similar. I hear a rubbing sound coming from somewhere, maybe near the front tires. But I get it when i'm driving around like 45mph and I'm lightly pressing the gas pedal keeping a constant speed, so the rpms stay low. Then i hear the sound, once in a while. And if i step on the gas or take my foot completely off, it goes away. No clue if this relates to your problem.
Old 04-05-2009, 12:57 AM
Instructor

i somewhat have the same problem i got a new tire and i think when the shop put it on they torqued it too tight and it was pushing on the caliper and when i turn in either direction it sounds like a pin is scraping the rotor and when i brake it faintly goes away then comes back again randomly. got any ideas?
Old 04-05-2009, 01:24 AM
'12 & '13 AL West Champs!

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by chrisr414
i somewhat have the same problem i got a new tire and i think when the shop put it on they torqued it too tight and it was pushing on the caliper and when i turn in either direction it sounds like a pin is scraping the rotor and when i brake it faintly goes away then comes back again randomly. got any ideas?
That sounds like the brake pad wear indicator. It starts scraping the rotor when the pad is almost gone. Check your brake pads for wear and replace them if necessary. Don't wait until you're metal to metal and have to buy new rotors too.
Old 04-05-2009, 08:23 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by chrisr414
You couldnt torque the wheels hard enough to press on the caliper.
Old 04-05-2009, 08:24 AM
Senior Moderator

TL45. Does the sound sound like a humming type sound while moving?
Old 04-05-2009, 11:38 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
TL45. Does the sound sound like a humming type sound while moving?
Yes I would, but I would also describe it as some sort of rubbing since the sound goes away when moving the steering wheel to the right and the sound gets louder when turning it to the left while driving.

I've been told that it might be the breaks/rotors but they were not too sure themselves.
Old 04-05-2009, 01:28 PM
Senior Moderator

Does the sound go away when you apply the brake? The sound you describe sounds like a wheel bearing.
Old 04-05-2009, 03:24 PM
Advanced

Does the sound go away when you apply the brake? The sound you describe sounds like a wheel bearing.
I'm not sure but I'll check later when im driving.

thx
Old 04-05-2009, 03:53 PM
Instructor

mine is sorta the same problem mine only comes up when im turning then will randomly go back and forth from the scratching sound
Old 04-06-2009, 01:30 AM
'12 & '13 AL West Champs!

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts
Old 04-07-2009, 07:22 AM
Advanced

Hey, I tried applying the brakes and not much difference was made... If it's my wheel bearing, how expensive is that to repair?
Old 04-07-2009, 08:09 AM
Senior Moderator

Sounds like a wheel bearing.

Price depends on if you do it yourself or have a shop do it. The part is like 60 bucks.
Old 04-11-2009, 09:02 AM
Always Working In

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
Thanks to all your posts guys. I've been having this problem too. That scraping sound as I'm pulling off at the light or I'm goin thru a drive thru. Only happens at lower speeds up to about 15 mph then slowly fades away. I've also looked at adjusting the parking brake as I though that might be the problem but you guys were dead on. I'm going to buy the parts and look it up in the DIY section.
Old 04-11-2009, 04:44 PM
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts
Hi All :

Not sure if you have this same issue, but here's what I experienced and the solution. The others who posted regarding brake squealers are probably correct. So, make sure the pads are good and that the metal squealers are not in contact with the rotors before performing the procedure below.

I have a grinding/scraping sound which I know is the rotor rubbing on the rotor backing plate. An easy way to check this is to jack up each wheel (if you're not sure which one it is) and then move the back plate around and see if the sound gets better or worse when you gently move the plate around. WARNING !! Do not apply any force that would cause this part to bend. You will end up warping the plate and you will make things much worse. Once you find out it's the plate, spin the wheel while gently moving the plate around until you find a movement that makes the noise go away. Then carefully bend the plate in the same direction a bit at a time until the noise is gone.

This may have been caused by hitting a rock or something else on the road that came in contact with the plate.

Hope this helps.

smartypants.
Old 04-26-2009, 10:37 AM
Instructor

what does the backing plate look like?
Old 04-26-2009, 10:43 PM
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

Old 05-04-2009, 02:08 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by smartypants
Hi All :

Not sure if you have this same issue, but here's what I experienced and the solution. The others who posted regarding brake squealers are probably correct. So, make sure the pads are good and that the metal squealers are not in contact with the rotors before performing the procedure below.

I have a grinding/scraping sound which I know is the rotor rubbing on the rotor backing plate. An easy way to check this is to jack up each wheel (if you're not sure which one it is) and then move the back plate around and see if the sound gets better or worse when you gently move the plate around. WARNING !! Do not apply any force that would cause this part to bend. You will end up warping the plate and you will make things much worse. Once you find out it's the plate, spin the wheel while gently moving the plate around until you find a movement that makes the noise go away. Then carefully bend the plate in the same direction a bit at a time until the noise is gone.

This may have been caused by hitting a rock or something else on the road that came in contact with the plate.

Hope this helps.

smartypants.

Good idea i will check mine and will post the update
Old 06-16-2010, 03:22 PM
1st Gear

Help!

I have the same problem as most of you, except opposite. Just got new tires and new Stock wheels put on front replacing temporary fix, but the same size is the original tire and wheel but now when driving it makes a rubbing type sound, like humming, but it starts after about 65 mph and up, and starts shaking a little after 70, and only when slightly turning left and even less turning right, but not straight. Any ideas?
Old 06-16-2010, 04:17 PM
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by eclipsegurl03
I have the same problem as most of you, except opposite. Just got new tires and new Stock wheels put on front replacing temporary fix, but the same size is the original tire and wheel but now when driving it makes a rubbing type sound, like humming, but it starts after about 65 mph and up, and starts shaking a little after 70, and only when slightly turning left and even less turning right, but not straight. Any ideas?
May need an alignment.
Old 06-16-2010, 08:01 PM
2003 TL-S w/Navi NBP

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Sounds like right front wheel bearing.
Old 06-17-2010, 06:40 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by eclipsegurl03
I had this problem too. It was my wheel bearing. Just note in my case, after getting my wheel bearings fixed by a private mechanic, he only replaced my wheel bearing but damaged my hubs in the process. I would suggest replacing your hubs also. Anyone more experienced feel free to correct me, but that has been my painful experience as the sound of the damaged hub is not easy to describe and I had replaced my rotors/pads all the way around 3 times before it was discovered to be my hubs. Even Acura recommended me to change the 1 week old rotors.
Old 06-17-2010, 05:35 PM
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by TL45
I had this problem too. It was my wheel bearing. Just note in my case, after getting my wheel bearings fixed by a private mechanic, he only replaced my wheel bearing but damaged my hubs in the process. I would suggest replacing your hubs also. Anyone more experienced feel free to correct me, but that has been my painful experience as the sound of the damaged hub is not easy to describe and I had replaced my rotors/pads all the way around 3 times before it was discovered to be my hubs. Even Acura recommended me to change the 1 week old rotors.
You don't have to change the hub when servicing the wheel bearing. At least when i did mine a month ago. Don't bring your car to that same mechanic again. I don't think he's that good.
Old 04-21-2017, 01:39 PM
1st Gear

This noise is driving me crazy

Originally Posted by my.daily'tl'
Thanks to all your posts guys. I've been having this problem too. That scraping sound as I'm pulling off at the light or I'm goin thru a drive thru. Only happens at lower speeds up to about 15 mph then slowly fades away. I've also looked at adjusting the parking brake as I though that might be the problem but you guys were dead on. I'm going to buy the parts and look it up in the DIY section.
I am having pretty much the exact samething happening with my car. Started last Sunday. Some trips you can go and there will be no problem at all. It does do it when I am going through a drive through and driving at a low speed. I have to go up to Madison today through tomorrow and I want to make sure that it will be okay till I get back and am able to get it fixed? I dont get tow insurance in wisconsin just Illinois. I would like some resurrence before I headed up there?