3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Acura dealership balking at replacing wiper motor under recall

Old 07-12-2011, 02:12 PM
2004, SSM, 6-speed, Navi

Received 23 Likes on 2 Posts
Acura dealership balking at replacing wiper motor under recall

Two weeks ago, my wipers stopped after a few days of heavy rain, but started working again the next day. I took it in for the recalls before I was going to go on a road trip. I asked them before and after if they were going to replace the wiper motor and they said yes. Well I was driving on my road trip about 1 hour later and I ended up in a horrible storm. The wipers were working okay, but then they just stopped. They started again a few minutes later, but stopped again for the day. I was forced to park on the highway every few miles as the rain was off and on. I looked on my paperwork, but they only added the kit, and didn't replace the motor.

So I took it back to the dealership today and they said, "yeah, you have a failing wiper motor." They ended up giving me a loaner until tomorrow. That is when the district rep is going to be in and they are going to see how much they can help out on the motor replacement.

Does this make any sense? Has anyone else had this problem? Does anyone know how they are supposed to determine if the wiper motor needs replacement?
Old 07-12-2011, 02:53 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,770 Likes on 4,341 Posts
Not enough detail.

Go to this link: https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-2004-2008-93/3g-tl-technical-service-bulletins-tsbs-3g-garage-j-016-a-613659/

Follow the instructions at the top of the thread to access this TSB: http://techinfo.honda.com/Rjanisis/pubs/SB/b08-013.pdf

If your car is not in the VIN range, the recall does not apply. There may be other circumstances where the recall does not apply to you (for instance, it's not the same problem or you've already had the recall performed).

If the recall does not apply to you and you are out of warranty, Acura has no obligation to provide repair free of charge.

Not all vehicles within the affected VIN range have a
wiper motor problem. To verify vehicle eligibility, you
must check at least one of these items:

• The client has a notification letter.
• The vehicle is shown as eligible on a VIN status
inquiry.

In addition, check for a punch mark above the fifth
character of the engine compartment VIN. A punch
mark in that location means this campaign has already
been completed. ....
Old 07-12-2011, 02:53 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 831 Likes on 679 Posts
If the motor showed any sign of corrosion during the recall it should have been replaced. Guess it must be proved that water/corrosion was the cause of the faiulure. Good luck.

Sorry for the caps, but this is directly from the NHTSA:

NHTSA Campaign ID Number: 08V092000 Summary:
HONDA IS RECALLING 129,600 MY 2004-2005 ACURA TL VEHICLES. IF WATER ENTERS THE WINDSHIELD WIPER MOTOR BREATHER PORT, WHICH IS DESIGNED TO ALLOW THE MOTOR TO VENT WARM AIR DURING NORMAL OPERATION, IT CAN RESULT IN CORROSION INSIDE THE MOTOR HOUSING. THIS COULD CAUSE A FAILURE OF THE ELECTRICAL CIRCUIT BREAKER INSIDE THE MOTOR HOUSING. Consequence:
IF THE CIRCUIT BREAKER FAILS, IT WILL CAUSE THE WINDSHIELD WIPER MOTOR TO BECOME INOPERATIVE, WHICH CAN INCREASE THE LIKELIHOOD OF A CRASH IN CERTAIN CONDITIONS. Remedy:
DEALERS WILL INSPECT THE WINDSHIELD WIPER MOTOR FOR SIGNS OF CORROSION. IF NO SIGNS OF CORROSION ARE PRESENT, A SNORKEL TUBE WILL BE ADDED TO THE WIPER MOTOR BREATHER PORT TO PREVENT WATER FROM ENTERING THE WIPER MOTOR HOUSING AND FOAM TAPE WILL BE INSTALLED ON THE COWL ABOVE THE WIPER MOTOR TO DIRECT WATER AWAY FROM THE WIPER MOTOR. IF SIGNS OF CORROSION DAMAGE ARE OBSERVED ON THE WIPER MOTOR, THE MOTOR WILL BE REPLACED, AND THE BREATHER TUBE AND FOAM TAPE WILL ALSO BE INSTALLED TO PREVENT WATER INTRUSION ON THE NEW WIPER MOTOR. THE RECALL BEGAN ON APRIL 28, 2008. OWNERS MAY CONTACT ACURA AT 1-800-382-2238. Notes:
ACURA RECALL NO. Q72. CUSTOMERS MAY ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV.
Old 07-12-2011, 04:20 PM
2004, SSM, 6-speed, Navi

Originally Posted by Bearcat94
Not enough detail.

Go to this link: https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=613659

Follow the instructions at the top of the thread to access this TSB: http://techinfo.honda.com/Rjanisis/pubs/SB/b08-013.pdf

If your car is not in the VIN range, the recall does not apply. There may be other circumstances where the recall does not apply to you (for instance, it's not the same problem or you've already had the recall performed).

If the recall does not apply to you and you are out of warranty, Acura has no obligation to provide repair free of charge.
I cannot access that. The page says:
"You are not authorized to view the content on this page."

The car was within the VIN range and "My Acura" actually told me the recalls still needed to be done. They did the wiper motor "kit" and the power steering hose last week free of charge. They just did not replace the motor even though they verbally told me they were going to and did replace it.
Old 07-12-2011, 04:28 PM
2004, SSM, 6-speed, Navi

Originally Posted by Turbonut
If the motor showed any sign of corrosion during the recall it should have been replaced. Guess it must be proved that water/corrosion was the cause of the faiulure. Good luck.

Sorry for the caps, but this is directly from the NHTSA:

....SNIP....
Where would the sign of corrosion be though? I think what is the most telling is it would stop working after a tremendous amount of rain and moisture in the air. I first noticed it was not working after two days of downpours. I had not been out, but when I started the car and tried to use the wipers, I got nothing. That is when I checked the fuses and remembered the recall. Before I got it to the dealer, a few days of it being dry, they started to work again fine. Then after driving in the huge storm again for a little bit, they stopped again. Once it dried up the next day, they worked again fine. I did try it on the way to the dealership, and the wipers moved very slowly up and down and then just stopped in the up position. I doubt they will work again.

They seemed to be more interested in the HID reverse lights than the recall on the motor though.
Old 07-12-2011, 04:30 PM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by bbplayer
I cannot access that. The page says:
"You are not authorized to view the content on this page."

.... .

Go to this link: https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=613659

If you read the TSB (after following the access instructions), replacement is not required. A "modificaiton" is an option depending the state of the motor.

However, it sounds like in your case, the replacement should have been done (motor failed) no questions asked. Never should have the "kit" (assume you mean the "snorkel" modificaiton).

if they continue to drga their feet call Acura Corporate Customer Care and lodge a complaint. Make sure they assign a case number.

Last edited by Bearcat94; 07-12-2011 at 04:33 PM.
Old 07-12-2011, 05:29 PM
2004, SSM, 6-speed, Navi

Total fail on my part. My ADD got the better of me there.

If you read the TSB (after following the access instructions), replacement is not required. A "modificaiton" is an option depending the state of the motor.

However, it sounds like in your case, the replacement should have been done (motor failed) no questions asked. Never should have the "kit" (assume you mean the "snorkel" modificaiton).

if they continue to drga their feet call Acura Corporate Customer Care and lodge a complaint. Make sure they assign a case number.
Thanks for the info. It seems pretty clear:
"1. Turn the ignition switch to ON (II), and turn on the
wipers:
• If the wipers work, go to step 3.
If the wipers don’t work, go to step 2.
2. Replace the wiper linkage assembly (includes the
wiper motor):

Why would they be making this such a big deal? Doesn't the dealership get paid by Acura for the repair?

Last edited by bbplayer; 07-12-2011 at 05:33 PM.
Old 07-12-2011, 06:10 PM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by bbplayer

Thanks for the info. It seems pretty clear:
"1. Turn the ignition switch to ON (II), and turn on the
wipers:
• If the wipers work, go to step 3.
If the wipers don’t work, go to step 2.
2. Replace the wiper linkage assembly (includes the
wiper motor):

Why would they be making this such a big deal? Doesn't the dealership get paid by Acura for the repair?
Yep, Acura pays warranty work. I agree, doesn't make sense that they're being dicks about it.

Take the TSB/Recall with you and ask why they aren't following the repair instructions.

Another option is to report them to NHTSA (the recall agency). Tell them that Acura dealer x is not following the recall repair instruction. Copy the dealership and corporate. That might get their asses in gear.

Question: Did you buy this car used? If so, is if possible the previous owner had the work done and the replacement/repair failed?
Old 07-12-2011, 08:59 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
They acted shady about replacing mine too... It took three days of calling bak and forth before they finally agreed to do it
Old 07-12-2011, 10:46 PM
2004 Acura TL

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
My acura dealer replaced mine but I had my easycare warranty pay for it leaving me a $100 deductible to pay my dealer. It was only after that I found out that it was a recall! So make sure your up to date on the recalls and tsbs before you walk into the dealer.
Old 07-12-2011, 11:20 PM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by navarretg
My acura dealer replaced mine but I had my easycare warranty pay for it leaving me a $100 deductible to pay my dealer. It was only after that I found out that it was a recall! So make sure your up to date on the recalls and tsbs before you walk into the dealer.

If you car is qualified under the recall, they are obligated to give your money back.

There is no charge for NHTSA enforced safety recalls. Ever.

The Recall letter approved by NHTSA is here: http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/do...8V092-9842.pdf

It includes how to request remedy if the dealer fails to correctly fix the problem.
Old 07-13-2011, 05:33 PM
2004, SSM, 6-speed, Navi

They called today and told me my car was ready to be picked up. I went right up there and the service person I originally dealt with when I took it in the first time basically said sorry over and over and said Acura might contact me and they wanted me to be happy with my service there.

So they did replace it for free, but on the paperwork it says. "Repairs covered as a one time measure of goodwill per DPSM." I'm not sure why it was considered goodwill. I would hate to try and get something that wasn't already obligated to me from them if this is what I had to go through with this.
Old 07-13-2011, 06:04 PM
AZ Community Team

Glad you got it resolved. :thumsbup:

Not sure what is going on, but it's obvious that for some reason the dealer and/or Acura don't beleive you're eligible for the recall or for the motor replacement part of the recall.

Guess it doesn't matter why at this point though.