RDX versus CR-V

Old 01-20-2008, 09:27 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RDX versus CR-V

I don't own either but am considering each. Do any current RDX owners have any personal experience or feelings on this matter? I know they are two different vehicles and priced about $6500 difference at retail but each has features I like and dislike. I am considering a CR-V EX-L, things I like are the mileage, ability to use regular gasoline and it is $6500 less than the RDX. Things I don't like are the limited availability, no Bluetooth, no HID headlights, no Home-Link and some Honda dealers attitudes. The RDX likes are more availability, loaner provision, Bluetooth, HID headlights, Home-Link and a slightly better dealer network. Things I don't like are the requirement of premium fuel, less gas mileage and it appears to be slightly smaller when comparing cargo capacity. We own a 2006 TSX and like it but have noticed dealer maintenance seems pretty high ( I do every other oil change myself) and mileage does suffer if premium fuel is not used.

I have no experience with a turbo engine either so any comments on this comparison would be welcomed. I can live with the higher price of the RDX but on the surface it seems like a big difference for 3 things I would like to have and knowing the fuel/mileage situation. I also wonder if maintenance of the RDX turbo would be significant over the long haul as we tend to keep vehicles a long time.

Thanks for any of your thoughts.
Old 01-20-2008, 10:06 AM
Racer

For me, the CR-V was just too ugly to consider, and was absolutely no fun to drive. I like my cars to have some pickup, and therefore the loss of fuel economy in exchange for the extra HP/torque was a tradeoff I am more than willing to make.

I think the ultimate answer is going to come when you test drive each car. If you keep cars for a long time, you will not want to skimp on a purchase and wish you had bought something else.
Old 01-20-2008, 10:13 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by oasis3582
For me, the CR-V was just too ugly to consider, and was absolutely no fun to drive. I like my cars to have some pickup, and therefore the loss of fuel economy in exchange for the extra HP/torque was a tradeoff I am more than willing to make.

I think the ultimate answer is going to come when you test drive each car. If you keep cars for a long time, you will not want to skimp on a purchase and wish you had bought something else.
You are right about not wanting to skimp on this purchase, and that is why I am asking for opinions on here.

Does the RDX engine use a timing belt or chain? Forgot to ask that in my initial post.

Thanks.
Old 01-20-2008, 11:26 AM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The two things I like about the RDX over the CR-V:

1) Performance and potential.
2) Looks. I really can't stand the styling of the CR-V quarter glass and tailights. But my wife initially didn't like the style of the RDX either.

You can retro-fit Homelink using another car maker's transceiver. It is a simple 2-wire hookup. Also ditto with the HID. Bluetooth is nice but not a deal breaker for me.

The use of premium vs. non-premium and gas mileage is a serious consideration as well as the $6500 difference as you mentioned.

If you just want a small and reliabe suv that will get you around, then the CR-V is your choice.
Old 01-20-2008, 11:35 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was in the same comparison about a year ago and went with the RDX. CRV even tricked out pales in comparison to the standard features of the RDX. Plus, once I noticed the CRV has an underbite front end, that's now all I see and it isn't pretty! If you can afford the RDX, you can afford the gas and there's a huge thrill of being able to put the hammer down joining on the highway and blowing by cars like they are standing still when the turbo spools.

For maintenance, don't 'schedule' the A1/B16 service... just tell them to do what you want. This involves looking in the manual! For example, change the oil, rotate tires, change the differential fluid... much cheaper this way. As far as the inspection crap- most techs will look at the overall car anyhow when it's in the shop so why pay more for it. Most of the inspection crap is all visual anyhow that with a little knowledge, can save you a ton of money doing it yourself. You can always pay for the inspection every other trip to the dealer if that makes you sleep well at night but I can't justify paying $350 for an oil change, tire rotation and rear diff fluid change when you're talking only about $75 in supplies and 2 hours of labor!
Old 01-20-2008, 11:40 AM
XIS
Lizard King

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
A year longer warranty
Much less seeing your exact same car on the road
higher resale
better exterior
better interior
better seats
better stereo
better handling
better acceleration
more 'little things' like HID/blu tooth/rear view camera/ELS stereo/bigger wheels/////

need I go on... ?
Old 01-20-2008, 12:03 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 694 Likes on 536 Posts
I was thinking about CR-V first too, it looks nice from outside, $6K cheaper, better MPG.... until I took a test drive and was very disappointed. It drives like a box on 4 wheels, very plain interior and controls inside, handling/cornering can't even compare to RDX, not to mention poor acceleration you get from 170hp engine.

I am not saying CR-V is bad, but each car has its own class and fits better certain people income and lifestyles. Let me tell you, there is a reason RDX costs 6K more... its a totally different class of vehicle. if your goal is too save money, then go with CR-V.... I think $32K is a fair price for RDX (considering things you are getting).

Its like comparing Toyota Camry and Lexus....
Old 01-20-2008, 12:04 PM
Suzuka Master

best thing is to test drive both cars, then it will become crystal clear to you why RDX costs 6 grand more.
Old 01-20-2008, 12:13 PM
10th Gear

In all fairness, I have not yet driven the RDX, although I have looked one over at the dealer but I think I will make it a point to test drive one tomorrow. I should then immediatly drive a CR-V again to make a good comparison

The price difference would not be the determining factor.

Can anyone answer the timing belt/timing chain question?

Thanks for all the responses, that is what I am looking for, more valuable information from people who have the RDX or who have considered the CR-V.
Old 01-20-2008, 12:40 PM
haole kama'a-ina

Received 123 Likes on 72 Posts
Both CR-V engines, the K24-A1 and newer K24-Z1, as well as the K23-A1 in the RDX have chain driven cams. Here's a photo of a K24:

Old 01-20-2008, 12:56 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
If you can wait a year or two, Honda is supposed to be introducing diesel vehicles - supposedly first to Acura, then to Honda. This would give you a few more choices, I think, and one plus would be better fuel economy. Just a thought.

FWIW, I haven't driven the CR-V or the RDX, but sat in the RDX yesterday (my TSX was getting an oil change). I will say it is pretty nice, and the extra features you get (along with the longer warranty) on the RDX are very appealing. The loaner thing is also important to me, as I'm single and only have one car, so when mine goes in for service, I need a loaner to drive in the meantime.
Old 01-20-2008, 05:04 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by russianDude
best thing is to test drive both cars, then it will become crystal clear to you why RDX costs 6 grand more.
+1.

You're not just paying for the name plate. The price difference is very obvious in the smoother, more powerful drivetrain, the more refined interior, and the extra tech gadgets. If these things are not interesting to you, then save yourself the 6K.
Old 01-20-2008, 05:39 PM
Race Director

I'd rather get the RDX than the CR-V. CR-V just blends in with almost every other small SUV out there, plus it's really slow off the line compared to the turbo in the RDX.
Old 01-21-2008, 01:08 PM
Racer

CR-V's RTAWD = 1970's technology junk!

If I was to buy a CR-V I'd get 2WD version & save my money, both gas & car...
Old 01-21-2008, 01:37 PM
Meat Popsicle

I have a CR-V from the last generation as well as an RDX.
I find both to be very good vehicles in very different ways.
Money difference is huge, so I do not think that a meaninful comparison can be made.

The CRV is not slow at all by the way. It moves quite nicely when pushed a bit. But its real role is griding out the miles with little trouble or expense.

I beleive that year after year the CRV is one of Hondas best resale value vehicles.
Just go try and buy one that is 24 months old. The asking price will be very close to new.
Old 01-21-2008, 01:49 PM
Instructor

No contest. Why would you even consider a CR-V? I guess it comes down to whatever floats your boat. If your needs are filled by basic transportation, then buy a CR-V. For me, I have to go with the Cadillac commercial on TV: "The real test is when you turn your car on, does it return the favor?"

Compared to the CR-V, the RDX "turns me on," and that's why I bought one.
Old 01-21-2008, 03:20 PM
08 PMM/Black Tech

We needed a beater 6yrs ago so we bought a CRV. Now we need a comfortable family car for long road trip. Enter the RDX. It's all down to your purpose for needing a small SUV.
Old 01-21-2008, 04:17 PM
Intermediate

those cars don't drive anything like each other. I drive an s2000 daily and when I get in my wife's RDX, I actually enjoy it. We drove the CRV and I told my wife that if she wants me to drive her around like I often do, we're getting the RDX.
Old 01-21-2008, 05:00 PM
08 PMM/Black Tech

Originally Posted by dombey
those cars don't drive anything like each other. I drive an s2000 daily and when I get in my wife's RDX, I actually enjoy it. We drove the CRV and I told my wife that if she wants me to drive her around like I often do, we're getting the RDX.
Same here. It's weird but I actually enjoyed tossing this thing around without any regret for leaving the S2000 in the garage.
Old 01-21-2008, 05:17 PM
10th Gear

I took and extensive test drive in the RDX today and followed that with a short drive of a CR-V. I have driven the CR-V several times in the past but not the RDX until today.

I thought both were fine vehicles but after driving the RDX I can say it is much more than the CR-V. Besides the amenities we want, it did feel a lot more solid and had a lot more power.

I am looking at the regular (non-technology package) RDX and was quoted $2000 off sticker without any dealing. Any thoughts on that price?
Old 01-21-2008, 05:56 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by jd111
I thought both were fine vehicles but after driving the RDX I can say it is much more than the CR-V. Besides the amenities we want, it did feel a lot more solid and had a lot more power.
good now you know why it costs more. It all depends on your budget... as you probably already noticed cars get better and better as they get more expensive, so the trick is to find a balance between how much you should spend and what things you want.
Old 01-21-2008, 05:58 PM
Suzuka Master

I am looking at the regular (non-technology package) RDX and was quoted $2000 off sticker without any dealing. Any thoughts on that price?
I got my 08 RDX base at invoice price + destination (31250) in October 2008.
It depends on your area, and I'd expect prices to drop by now.
Old 01-21-2008, 06:27 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by russianDude
I got my 08 RDX base at invoice price + destination (31250) in October 2008.
It depends on your area, and I'd expect prices to drop by now.
That is $2600+ off sticker. Since we have bought 3 cars from this same dealership (2 Infiniti G-20's and 1 Acura TSX), I think I could do better than the $2000 off that was thrown out today. This was with no negotiation at all. Invoice is $30,505 and freight is $715 for a total of $31,220. Sticker is $33,910. All dealers in my area want $250 (or more) for documentation fees, although I know one small GM dealer that only charges $50 for this.
Old 01-21-2008, 07:03 PM
Suzuka Master

That is $2600+ off sticker. Since we have bought 3 cars from this same dealership (2 Infiniti G-20's and 1 Acura TSX), I think I could do better than the $2000 off that was thrown out today. This was with no negotiation at all. Invoice is $30,505 and freight is $715 for a total of $31,220. Sticker is $33,910. All dealers in my area want $250 (or more) for documentation fees, although I know one small GM dealer that only charges $50 for this.
yeah, I paid 31250+ doc fee($200), and it was also in Oct 2007, if I were - you I'd give 31,000 bid and walk away. See what will be their lowest offer, and walk away. Remember you can always come back, thats what I did, in fact, I walked away with my best offer 31,000 and their best 31,800, then they kept calling me, and 3 days later we met at 31,250. again, this was 3 month ago, I don't know whats the market price today.

never be in rush, call different dealership, get their quotes... I got one quote from one dealer at 31,200 (I had to give my credit card on phone for deposit), but he was 50 miles away, so I declined... but it gave me power of knowledge negotiating with other dealers. In fact, do online quote and have them call you, ask for their best quotes over the phone.. they will be reluctant to give them to you, if they do, just make it straight that u either need a firm quote or you will hang up.
Old 01-21-2008, 07:23 PM
10th Gear

Closest dealer to me is 35 miles (almost 1 hour) away and next closest is about double that distance, so I am rather limited there. The salesman (same one we dealt with on our TSX) did say business was rather slow so I think they would be happy making a small profit. We pretty much paid OUR price for the TSX so I feel I could do the same with the RDX. Other than some lease and finance incentives, there is nothing else on the 2008 RDX right now from what I can find.
Old 01-22-2008, 08:25 AM
big shot.

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
the CRv, both old and new gen's are damn fine vehicles in their own right. however, the new CRV is just a completely diff truck than the RDX, just cant compare them.

we have 2 crv's in the fam, and i must say they have been the most reliable, durable, all weather cars weve ever had...beaters in their own right and have never had a single problem...05 ex's with the single tone paint, leather, lamps etc. There are some pluses to the CRV you may want to consider...if its hauling crap around --u will prob be more likely to abuse the CRV (and it can take it) and toss things inside it versus the RDX (prob more protective of its nicer interior & materials) the CRV is the fam workhorse and other than being completely boring to drive and less exciting than golf, its a great vehicle.
Old 01-22-2008, 05:18 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We looked at the CR-V, the MDX, and decided on the RDX. The CR-V would have been a fine choice, but we couldn't deal with the lack of power. The MDX was big and felt that way to drive. We replaced a Jeep Liberty. Even with the 21mpg we get out of the RDX and the premium gas we each mile is still cheaper to drive that with that Liberty.
Old 01-22-2008, 09:19 PM
Burning Brakes

My parents have a 2007 CR-V and I have a 2007 RDX. I have driven my parents CR-V for maybe 100 miles. Here are the three things that stood out to me:

1. The extra power of the RDX is really, really, really noticeable. While I didn't exactly drive them back to back (my parents live in OH), there is no comparison.

2. The seats in the CR-V feel too small. I am not that tall, but I wear a size 48 jacket, so my sholuders are pretty damn wide. It felt like the CR-V seats hit me in the shoulder blades.

3. The fit and finish of the CR-V is better, especially the interior. Probably just an Ohio vs. Japan thing.
Old 01-22-2008, 10:57 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by brizey
3. The fit and finish of the CR-V is better, especially the interior. Probably just an Ohio vs. Japan thing.
Though I have not been up to a CR-V really close, I am a little disappointed in the way some of the panels fit on my RDX. The left quarter panel is slightly off (2 mm) where it meets the LR door. For most people, you will not notice. Also, the pinch welds on the left quarter panel to the wheelhouse were "wavy" and I had to use a hammer and dolly to straighten it. The driver door was sticking outwards about 2 mm and the belt molding on the door was sticking out by 3 mm. I am a little annoyed that I did not notice it until after the vehicle was delivered. Acura was good about taking care of it afterwards and now the driver door looks fine. Also, I noticed that there is some dust in the paint. The factory did not do a good job of color sanding and buffing to remove these dust particles.

I wonder how are the American made Accords and Camrys are?
Old 01-23-2008, 08:30 AM
big shot.

I will say...i am not totally impressed with the overall RDX package. my interior plastic (the b pillars and C pillars most notably) have the plastic seem/mold still remaining on their edges...its looks very unrefined. Some plastics are misaligned. The trim on the exterior bottom of the drivers door sticks out and is not in line with the passenger door trim.

Ohio vs Japan? not sure...the CRV's are also assembled in Ohio other than the very first batch that came over. Would i rather have the RDX put together in Japan? o yea, but when it comes down to it who knows. I have never had these issues in the Hondas I have owned, there seems to be a little lack of quality control with the RDX that leaves me unimpressed.
Old 01-23-2008, 04:15 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by MMike1981
I will say...i am not totally impressed with the overall RDX package. my interior plastic (the b pillars and C pillars most notably) have the plastic seem/mold still remaining on their edges...its looks very unrefined. Some plastics are misaligned. The trim on the exterior bottom of the drivers door sticks out and is not in line with the passenger door trim.

Ohio vs Japan? not sure...the CRV's are also assembled in Ohio other than the very first batch that came over. Would i rather have the RDX put together in Japan? o yea, but when it comes down to it who knows. I have never had these issues in the Hondas I have owned, there seems to be a little lack of quality control with the RDX that leaves me unimpressed.
Even though I live in Ohio, knowing Honda has a big presence here, I also have concerns about quality based on your post and the previous post. One would like to think the quality should be the same, and I know several people who work for Honda, but part of the reason we opted for the TSX over the TL was the fact it was made in Japan.

Still undecided.
Old 01-24-2008, 08:39 PM
07 RDX White w/tech

Almost got a CRV

Before I purchased the RDX I test drove a CRV exl. I felt the CRV met my needs(good gas mileage,practical,) but even in the EX-L I felt it was OK but lacked the luxury feeling. I did not like the fact that the arm rests in the CRV didnt support my arms at all-was useless.
However, when my Legend broke down I went to Honda with the intent to buy the CRV EXL. When I arrived, they had none in stock-it was the only a few weeks after the new CRV came out. Disappointed, I saw an Acura dealer across the street and the rest is history.I knew the RDX didnt have the gas mileage I wanted or price, but when I sat in it it felt like my old Legend. The dealer sold it to me a little over invoice-about 6500 more than the CRV.Honda at the time made NO deals on the CRV since it was so popular.
The only time I wish I had the CRV is when I gas up and when it comes to loading the RDX with stuff from home depot-because you have to watch not to cut the leather or mess up the carpet etc.
Old 01-24-2008, 09:44 PM
10th Gear

The CR-V EXL is very hard to find in my area, although I did find a large Honda dealer that probably had 30 CR-V's but only maybe 10 of the EXL models. Discounts range from $500 to maybe $1000 but then they want to load them up with dealer add-ons at inflated prices.

Difference between the RDX and CR-V is about $4500 from what I have found so far and I think I could narrow that to $4000 (or less) if I got serious about buying.

I don't plan on loading that much into either vehicle but the premium gas and mileage is a long term item so that is a concern.

I would really like a white vehicle and the RDX is something other than Taffeta White.
Old 01-25-2008, 07:35 AM
Instructor

Even though I live in Ohio, knowing Honda has a big presence here, I also have concerns about quality based on your post and the previous post. One would like to think the quality should be the same, and I know several people who work for Honda, but part of the reason we opted for the TSX over the TL was the fact it was made in Japan.

Still undecided.
I don't understand that line of thinking. You seem to be partial to "perceived quality" which to you is linked to where something was made rather than getting the model you prefer.

I'm the opposite. I want a certain model. Settling for a TSX over a TL would be a disappointment. That's settling for a lesser model, IMHO. I'm less concerned about where a car is manufactured than I am about getting the exact model that interests me.

The model is the most important thing. Brand is secondary, as is where it was made. I bought a RDX (my first Acura) because it was my first choice of all vehicles in it's class regardless of brand. I'll buy any brand, as long as it doesn't have a Ford emblem on it.
Old 01-25-2008, 08:37 AM
big shot.

the way the TSX is put together (made in japan) vs the way the rdx is put together is well...i dunno, just different. there isnt any 1 thing i could pinpoint but the package overall feels so much tighter, the doors close different, the seams are better. Whose to know if its just because its a different model and different processes but there are differences, i think, in build quality. When im in my gf's tsx, it just feels rock solid in every aspect. I dont feel the same way when im in the RDX. again, this is all subjective, but, things I have noticed. Since i was in a rare position of owning the 07 RDX then moved into an 08, i would have thought there would be some changes, at least, in building respects theyd have some stuff narrowed down...there is absolutely no difference in build quality..if anything i noticed more lacks in the 08 than my 07.

again, just my subjective opinion.
Old 01-25-2008, 03:25 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by ThePlainsman
I don't understand that line of thinking. You seem to be partial to "perceived quality" which to you is linked to where something was made rather than getting the model you prefer.

I'm the opposite. I want a certain model. Settling for a TSX over a TL would be a disappointment. That's settling for a lesser model, IMHO. I'm less concerned about where a car is manufactured than I am about getting the exact model that interests me.

The model is the most important thing. Brand is secondary, as is where it was made. I bought a RDX (my first Acura) because it was my first choice of all vehicles in it's class regardless of brand. I'll buy any brand, as long as it doesn't have a Ford emblem on it.
We drove both the TL and TSX several times before making a decision. Country of origin was not the deciding factor but it was a part of the entire decision making process. We were open to both models and we did not "settle" for the TSX, we CHOSE the TSX because it better fit our needs/wants. It was not a matter of price or where manufactured, it was the ENTIRE package of the vehicle. Call it "perceived quality" if you want but IMHO, there still is a difference, maybe slight, and it appears I am not the only one with these concerns.

Speaking of Ford, I currently have a rental for a week of business travel and was upgraded from a full-size vehicle to an SUV, it was a Ford Edge. I drove it one day and returned it for an Impala. Besides feeling awkward, the fuel mileage was under 20 for interstate driving. I would consider any brand, as long as it does not have a Chrysler badge on it and the Ford Edge was a big disaapointment also. That is why I am considering Acura and Honda.
Old 01-26-2008, 12:22 AM
Instructor

We drove both the TL and TSX several times before making a decision. Country of origin was not the deciding factor but it was a part of the entire decision making process. We were open to both models and we did not "settle" for the TSX, we CHOSE the TSX because it better fit our needs/wants. It was not a matter of price or where manufactured, it was the ENTIRE package of the vehicle. Call it "perceived quality" if you want but IMHO, there still is a difference, maybe slight, and it appears I am not the only one with these concerns.

Speaking of Ford, I currently have a rental for a week of business travel and was upgraded from a full-size vehicle to an SUV, it was a Ford Edge. I drove it one day and returned it for an Impala. Besides feeling awkward, the fuel mileage was under 20 for interstate driving. I would consider any brand, as long as it does not have a Chrysler badge on it and the Ford Edge was a big disaapointment also. That is why I am considering Acura and Honda.
Well, for me Ford is the only brand I will never touch. I'd buy a doggone Pontiac before I'd buy a Ford. I'd buy a stinking Kia before I'd buy a Ford.
Old 01-26-2008, 02:28 AM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Tells us how you really feel.

I don't mind some Fords *ducks*
Old 01-26-2008, 08:40 AM
Instructor

I drove both cars too. I actually liked the look of the CR-V exterior, but as soon as I got behind the wheel, I said to the salesman..."I think at 40, I need more in a car." No WoW appeal. Definitely no fun to drive either.

I've had the RDX over a year now, and still LOVE to drive it! This car is as close to a sports car then you can get, and be a CUV.

One thing though, and I realize that nav systems like Garmin are just as good as the one in the car. I've seen the garmin at work, and it's impressive, but I'm still glad I paid the extra $ for the nav system with blue tooth. I use the nav all the time, on trips, and I don't have to worry about someone trying to steal it!
I find headsets and phone ear buds to be a nuissance, and I love the ease of the bluetooth!

I've seen more folks on this sight trading in the base model for the tech package, or trying to figure out how to install thier own nav system ect... IMO, if your paying that kind of money, get the whole shabang. Oh, and the backup camera has helped me to get into some real tight spots without worrying.
Old 01-26-2008, 09:21 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by mickie
I drove both cars too. I actually liked the look of the CR-V exterior, but as soon as I got behind the wheel, I said to the salesman..."I think at 40, I need more in a car." No WoW appeal. Definitely no fun to drive either.

I've had the RDX over a year now, and still LOVE to drive it! This car is as close to a sports car then you can get, and be a CUV.

One thing though, and I realize that nav systems like Garmin are just as good as the one in the car. I've seen the garmin at work, and it's impressive, but I'm still glad I paid the extra $ for the nav system with blue tooth. I use the nav all the time, on trips, and I don't have to worry about someone trying to steal it!
I find headsets and phone ear buds to be a nuissance, and I love the ease of the bluetooth!

I've seen more folks on this sight trading in the base model for the tech package, or trying to figure out how to install thier own nav system ect... IMO, if your paying that kind of money, get the whole shabang. Oh, and the backup camera has helped me to get into some real tight spots without worrying.
I am not wanting the NAV on what I purchase but I do like the idea of Bluetooth. The 2008 RDX comes standard with Bluetooth in the non-NAV model, I believe this is a change from the 2007 model.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: RDX versus CR-V