Crank Seal Replacement

Old 10-15-2009, 11:42 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Crank Seal Replacement

Does anyone have a DIY on this project - Very new to the K Series and not very familiar with its components but dont want to give an arm to Acura for something that seems so simple. Did the Search Function and NO luck - Please Help. any special tools needed to complete this petty job?
Old 10-15-2009, 11:57 AM
Someone stole "My Garage"

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
I can check the service manual at home later, or you can download a similar one from hondahookup.com if you're so inclined. It shouldn't be TOO difficult but this is something that I'd consider investing $80-ish in for the service manual. I'm sure bringing it to any mechanic or dealership would cost you 5-10 times that much and you wouldn't learn anything from it that way either.
Old 10-15-2009, 02:25 PM
Cruisin'

Hey Curls, thanks for the quick response - I just registered with hondahookup.com but am not able to view the manuals . If you dont mind, any info would be most appreciated. I'll also try at home to see if i can view those PDF files - Cannot open while at work - kinda strange. Thanks again
Old 10-15-2009, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by evokitan
Hey Curls, thanks for the quick response - I just registered with hondahookup.com but am not able to view the manuals . If you dont mind, any info would be most appreciated. I'll also try at home to see if i can view those PDF files - Cannot open while at work - kinda strange. Thanks again
You gotta log in, get to the manuals area, click link, wait a few seconds, then it'll open the file menu to save or open. Click save, etc...

It didn't work from my office either, but worked fine from home. Be mindful that the manual there is WAY different (electronic version but less detailed it seemed) than the paper one I have at home by Helm's.

If you still need a scan of those pages, it'll be a few days... gotta get the time and dig up my scanner, etc.
Old 10-15-2009, 08:49 PM
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
evokitan:

Why does the crank seal need to be replaced? When these seals go bad in the TSX do they leak oil? Is it an external leak where oil goes into the engine and hits the floor or does it leak internally where oil is burned?

What year is your TSX and how many miles does it have?
Old 10-16-2009, 09:36 AM
is in Honda heaven

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Depending on your mileage you may be able to get Acuracare to cover it. Cant explain why but Hondacare covered mine while I was in for some other warranty work. At the time I had 400 miles left on my 100,000 mile warranty, if they hadn't covered it the cost would've been $600.
Old 10-17-2009, 12:21 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Miamicarfan
evokitan:

Why does the crank seal need to be replaced? When these seals go bad in the TSX do they leak oil? Is it an external leak where oil goes into the engine and hits the floor or does it leak internally where oil is burned?

What year is your TSX and how many miles does it have?
I have a 2004 with 80k miles - currently, i would have drops of oil on my garage floor - its a external leak. I cant really pinpoint to where the oil is leaking from but seems like lots of oil from the crank so i thought i would start there. I will have to complete this job when i get some free time. I would assume that if the seal is bad, it would leak oil - a bad seal will always leak.
Old 10-17-2009, 12:23 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by curls
You gotta log in, get to the manuals area, click link, wait a few seconds, then it'll open the file menu to save or open. Click save, etc...

It didn't work from my office either, but worked fine from home. Be mindful that the manual there is WAY different (electronic version but less detailed it seemed) than the paper one I have at home by Helm's.

If you still need a scan of those pages, it'll be a few days... gotta get the time and dig up my scanner, etc.
Thanks again Curls - No need to scan for those pages. It did work from home and it seems like more than enough info to complete this job.
Old 10-17-2009, 02:10 PM

What you describe (oil on floor), I experienced a while back as well. I figured I had a seal leak and once I got under the car, I checked everything very closely. What it ended up being was the result of a (typically) messy oil filter change last time I had done it. If you've done an oil change on this car, you'll know what I mean -- the removal of the filter will seemingly always pour a fair amount of oil onto the axle shaft and onto the front crossmember as well as the plastic splash shield.

My oil-on-floor thing happened a solid MONTH after the oil change, but I guess the oil had pooled up and finally overflowed whatever area it was gathering in, resulting in a puddle on my garage floor. I wiped everything down, and have not seen a drop of oil since (a number of months ago now!).

With car repairs, unless you KNOW where the problem is, start with the simple and cheaper stuff. A crank seal isn't one of the cheaper things to do, even as a DIY.