2008 TSX A-Spec

Old 11-05-2008, 08:30 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 TSX A-Spec

I found a 2008 manual transmission with navigation TSX with A-Spec package with 1,600 miles on it. It has never been sold from the dealer and it is excellent condition. The Carfax report is clean with maintenance done on schedule. The price is $29000 before tax and processing fee, the dealer will not budge saying that it initially cost $36000 with the A-Spec package and they are taking a hit.

A-Spec includes:
  • High performance shocks and springs
  • Lightweight 17-inch alloy wheels
  • Aero kit featuring:
    • Air dam
    • Chin spoiler
    • Side skirts
    • Rear wing spoiler
  • A-SPEC badging
Is this a fair and/or reasonable price?
Old 11-05-2008, 08:37 PM
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
LOL, $36,000? and the dealer is stating they're taking a hit? BTW, some here have gotten a new 2008 TL type S for less than $36,000.
$29,000 for the last year of the 1st gen tsx....man, how much are they selling the 2009's for? BTW, the outgoing model year should sell for less.
Old 11-05-2008, 08:47 PM

Received 322 Likes on 182 Posts
hell no dont buy it for 29000, and a-spec does not cost 6000 dollars (assumming base price for 08 tsx is 30k with navi). that dealership is trying to rip you off.
Old 11-06-2008, 12:43 AM
Pro

i bet u get an 08 tsx with navi, for less! the add the a-spec package later and u will end up paying way less!!
Old 11-06-2008, 01:19 AM
Advanced

Yea, that's a ridiculous price. The 08 manuals were selling below invoice, and retail price on the A-spec is not that much.

Dealers usually have three prices for OEM parts (A-spec included): Cost, Retail, and Selling

Retail is what they are supposed to charge, but they usually quote the selling price. I've seen dealers quote the selling price for almost double retail.

Use Edmunds and KBB to estimate the value of the car without A-spec, then check Ebay to see what brand new A-spec kits are selling for.
Old 11-06-2008, 06:05 AM
5th Gear

So what price could I expect to get an 08 TSX with nav for before tax?
Old 11-06-2008, 06:21 AM
Oliver!!!

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
Well, I bought mine w/out Navi right when the 09's first hit the showroom floor. Same story as yours basically, but mine had 3200 miles. I got it out the door for 24 before tax. And I got the CPO warranty on it, even though it had never been titled.

I'm sure it's a great car, and probably as new as you're going to find. But 29 is kinda ridiculous. Brand new, with zero miles, it might have been close to the 36 they're telling you, but now that it's been in service for almost a year it's not worth nearly that much. And by the way, the base MSRP on the 08 non navi was 29,800. I don't remember how much navi added, but the A Spec option was pretty pricey. I'm not saying that 36 is dead on, but its probably somewhere in the ballpark of the MSRP shown on the sticker when it was new.
Old 11-06-2008, 07:51 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Jamaicanyouth
...the dealer will not budge saying that it initially cost $36000 with the A-Spec package and they are taking a hit.
It is completely immaterial if the dealer is taking a hit or not. The only thing that is material is the market value of the car (cars are like fish at your local restaurant -- market price). If they cannot sell it for $29k, then THEY WILL sell it for less. It is a matter of timing.

Did you get the latest news -- if I recall correctly, October, 2008 car sells were off like 45 percent for GM and like 28 percent for Toyota. Acura swims in the same ocean.

I would be willing to pay 29K for such a car, if I wanted a manual, because I love the 1st Gen and they are making no more. But, if you want the car and if you are willing to lose it, then:

1) Try to work with a different sales person.
2) Decide, in your mind, what the car is worth -- and what you would be willing to pay.
3) Talk with the sales manager. Tell him that you want the car, but cannot reach a meeting of the minds with the sales person because the salesperson is not willing to be flexible. Make sure you give him your name and phone number on three pieces of paper -- a 8 1/2 x 11 inch with bold writing and on two blank business cards -- and then tell him to call you when he is ready to sell the car. Mark each with the car (short description and Stock Number) that you want. Have the three pieces of paper gem clipped (not stapled) together. He will pass at least one of the business cards on to a salesperson of his choosing.
4) If you don't hear from the sales force within four weeks, go check and see if the car is still on the lot. If it is -- make an offer based on Number 2 above.

A common mistake buyers make is NOT knowing what price they are willing to pay. They are shooting for the lowest possible price -- and, by doing so, they let someone else buy the item of interest -- because of indecision. Once the threshold is reached, i.e., the dealer matches your price, then you have a meeting of the minds regarding price -- and can discuss other matters such as finance, warranty, etc.

On my last purchase, I had a notepad with me, I told the salesperson I was going to write down my price in the rear of the pad -- and I let him witness me doing so. I told him. "Now, I have my price. Let me see your price". It took him 20 minutes to come up with his price (that is good -- because it implies that he was discussing the matter with the sales manager and getting the sales manager's approval). After he revealed his price, I revealed my price. The two numbers were identical. Excluding the 20 minutes for his calculations, it took 10 minutes to buy the new car.

Wachovia bank recently purchased a large investment bank (ML, I believe) -- and the CEO took some flack for paying too much. His response was, "If I did not pay what I did, it is likely that ML would have no longer been available Monday morning." You are in the same situation. But, generally, the longer an item is on the market, the less that it will sell for. Perhaps the dealer needs to hold the TSX, and continue to pay interest on it, for a few more weeks.

As I believe someone mentioned, www.edmunds.com and www.kbb.com are good resources. Also, it is generally to your advantage to approach the dealer during the last three days of a month.

Last edited by JimHolloman; 11-06-2008 at 07:56 AM.
Old 11-06-2008, 08:14 AM
Instructor

ALSO -- The approach I described pulls the rug out from under a lot of salespeople because they can no longer play on your emotions, or "desire", to have the item (car, house, etc.). It becomes more of an objective process -- usually with some negotiations involved.
Old 11-06-2008, 09:05 AM
boost owns

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
OP are you in Canada or the US?

That makes a big difference on pricing.
Old 11-06-2008, 09:43 AM
5th Gear

Thank you for your responses. I am located in the Southeast U.S. I spoke to the car saleman. He was very rude and tried to lecture me on selling cars and giving me bad analogies. I was having none of that. He hung up and called back and spoke to the sales manager. He would not budge either on the $29,987. I told him that if we could not meet on a price then, I would have to move on. He went on to say that manuals are not in demand in his market. I was wondering, if its not in demand and never been titled then why is he holding on to it? He said that he would rather hold on to it for several more months than sell it for a mid $26K price. Manual TSXs are hard to find for sale, everything is auto with not the best colors. I guess I will keep looking.

For an auto 08 TSX with nav and 10k miles on it, what do you think the final sale price should be after taxes?
Old 11-06-2008, 05:49 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Jamaicanyouth
...For an auto 08 TSX with nav and 10k miles on it, what do you think the final sale price should be after taxes?
Taxes vary more than car prices, so you question ought to be before taxes.

If the car is in like new condition, both interior and exterior, then figure depreciation at 0.25 for dealer and at least $0.30 per mile for private sale. Thus, assume $28,000 new price = $25,500 for dealer sale and $25,000, or less, for private sale. But, once again, check Edmunds and KBB.
Old 11-08-2008, 05:38 AM
gets all the crazy chicks

Originally Posted by Jeff_B
Yea, that's a ridiculous price. The 08 manuals were selling below invoice, and retail price on the A-spec is not that much.
Really? That sucks, I paid a bit over invoice for my 08 manual (this was back in February though and PWP/Ebony was super rare even then, I think there were only 3 on the east coast, I had to take a train 300 miles away). For my curiosity (and this may be of help to the OP) how much cheaper were manuals going for?
Old 11-08-2008, 05:44 AM
gets all the crazy chicks

Originally Posted by JimHolloman
It is completely immaterial if the dealer is taking a hit or not. The only thing that is material is the market value of the car (cars are like fish at your local restaurant -- market price). If they cannot sell it for $29k, then THEY WILL sell it for less. It is a matter of timing.

Did you get the latest news -- if I recall correctly, October, 2008 car sells were off like 45 percent for GM and like 28 percent for Toyota. Acura swims in the same ocean.
Listen to him, he knows what he's talking about. I would forget about this guy and keep looking. People are losing jobs like crazy, consumer spending is at an all time low, I bet a lot of people will default on their expensive car loans or sell/trade their cars to pay their mortgages. Plus we have an issue with deflation now (our dollar has more spending power). All these lead to driving prices down - this is probably THE BEST TIME to buy big ticket items like cars or houses.
Old 11-13-2008, 05:31 PM
Cruisin'

I just bought my car brand new... 2008 TSX Navi (Auto) for $27,000.... and sticker was $32k. I told them how much I was willing to pay for the car since and I got a few quotes from Edmonds.com

Then I purchase the A-SPEC Kit a month later for $1000.00 out of pocket.

I called every dealership in NC to find a White on Black Interior. Most dealership had ever color I didnt wanted. Most of the ones on the lot was around the same price. I did all my shopping over the phone and didnt drive to any of those other lots. It was really easy, I basically bought the car over the phone and did some paperwork thru the fax machine. Then finalize the paperwork in person.

Thats no where near $36,000

I have my car for 3 months now.
Old 11-13-2008, 06:03 PM
Cruisin'

I went to Edmonds.com and enter my real info in there and within 10 minutes, I had 3 dealership called me to ask me when if I was serious about buying a new car. I told them Edmonds.com showed me what Invoice goes for on there... and I want to pay around there or less, not more. The internet makes it easier to buy car without haggling. All 3 dealership was within the same price range b/c they got my info from Edmonds. My price was accepted too easy without haggling. I am use to haggling. I have bought many cars over the years. I dont mind haggling a bit if I can save even more. I told them, let me call around to see if I can get a better price then we can talk again.

I called every dealership in NC to find a White on Black Interior. Most dealership had ever color I didnt wanted. Most of the ones on the lot was around the same price. I did all my shopping over the phone and didnt drive to any of those other lots. It was really easy, I basically bought the car over the phone and did some paperwork thru the fax machine. Then finalize the paperwork in person.

I got my car brand new... 2008 TSX Navi (Auto) for $27,000.... and sticker was $32k.

Then I purchase the A-SPEC Kit a month later for $1000.00 out of pocket.

Thats no where near $36,000

I have my car for 3 months now.