How to read oil date codes

Old 05-11-2010, 12:58 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 210 Likes on 147 Posts
How to read oil date codes

To see some examples of specific oil company date codes, skip to the bottom of this post. Some of the reasons to read oil date codes:

a) how old is that oil I found in the back of my garage? Mobil 1 web site states that engine oil has a shelf life of 5 years (in the FAQs section). No data on shelf life of Mobil 1 gear oil. The Valvoline phone help-line has stated to me that their oil has an ‘unlimited’ shelf life (I wonder?). The Castrol help-line stated that the shelf life of their product is 3 years.

b) how old is the oil on sale at my local parts store? Can I be certain that the person who puts it on the shelf is ‘turning’ the old oil to the front, so the newest oil is in the back? Or am I buying oil that has been on the shelf a couple of years?

Beginning sometime in late 2009, Pennzoil prints an easy-to-read date code on their engine oil, such as “28APR09”. Valvoline refused to tell me (via their phone help-line) how to read their date code, stating that Valvoline oil never goes bad (I am sure). The Mobil 1 help-line decoded their old dates (which begin with the letter X) for me, but the person to whom I spoke could not decode the current style of date code. Castrol was the only company that told me how to decode their date codes.

Therefore, I cannot guarantee that the date codes below are completely accurate. They are partly based on information I have received in talking with oil company help-lines, and partly based on information I have received in talking with representatives of other types of companies. If you cannot find a data code, look on the product label for a copyright date. You can be reasonably certain that the product is not newer than the copyright date on the label.

There are only a few ways of coding a date, so that it can be easily interpreted by the stocking personnel in a store. After all, it is in the best interest of companies to have old stock pulled, and not sold to a consumer who then gets sick from eating expired canned goods. The oil companies basically use the same styles of date codes, as are used for cereal, canned goods, etc. Here are some examples:

1. 09231 = the 231st day of 2009
2. 09K19 = 19 November 2009 (letter codes are often used on batteries)
3. 11E9 = 11 May 2009, note how similar this is to the previous style

The letter code is basically “A” = January, and “L” = December. Note that some manufacturers skip the letter “I”, so that “M” = December. I assume “I” is skipped since it looks like the number digit one.

By noting the above, and looking at different dates and codes on various products, you can probably learn to decode the date on most oil products. Below are my best guesses of date codes for various oil manufacturers.

You may have to look carefully to even find the date code on some products. The codes may be printed on the product label. But they may also be printed directly on the product container. Sometimes the code is printed in black, on a black product container (boy, is that difficult to read). Mobil 1 actually prints the codes, using laser dots instead of ink, cut into the product container.

I have included some products that would not be of interest to an Acura owner, to give a broader view of various date codes, to help you interpret date codes for oil products other than those listed below. I have given the entire numerical codes printed on the product, so that you can see where the date code is included within other codes (such as plant, product codes, etc.). Sorry, but I do not know how to interpret any code except for the date codes. The following date codes were taken directly from actual products that I have in my garage.

MOBIL 1 ENGINE OIL (note that 5810 is probably the product code):
10W-30 quart// X12D8 5501 (old style) = 12 April 2008
5W-30 quart// X13F9 5810 (old style) = 13 June 2009
5W-30 quart// 10110B25A 5810 (new style) = 25 February 2010
5W-30 (5-liters)// PA02F9 5810 T339 = 02 June 2009

MOBIL 1 GEAR OIL:
75W-90 quart// (on first line) OEV09K19A C (on next line) 01521 #6583 = 19 November 2009
75W-90 quart// (on first line) OEV21G9 B (on next line) 24659 #4508 = 21 July 2009

Note the similarities of the above two date codes. Note that the placement, and number of digits for the year, has been changed. The November date code style shown above, will allow for using the same style, to show dates beginning in 2010. I have not yet seen a date code for Mobil 1 gear oil in year 2010. Also, there is some indication that Mobil 1 does not use the letter date code “I”, so that “K” would actually be October instead of November. I do not have enough samples of product to make this determination.

PENNZOIL ENGINE OIL (OLD STYLE date codes):
5W-30 quart// LALPA461482/ 05198 11:32 = 19 May 2008 at 11:32 am
5W-30 (5-qt)// LALP465289/ 071108/ 09:11 = 11 July 2008 at 09:11 am
10W-30 quart// LALPA463639/ 06168 13:34 = 16 June 2008 at 1:34 pm

Note: in cleaning out my garage and basement, I found some Pennzoil that is probably 15 or more years old. The bottles have codes that I am unable to decipher. I vaguely remember the oil was for a car I sold 15 years ago, hence my guess as to the date. It was 10W-40 SF engine oil.

CASTROL SYNTEC GEAR LUBE
75W-90 quart// M083157 02:06 BTW4586 = 315th day of 2008 at 2:06 am

VALVOLINE DEX-VI TRANSMISSION OIL:
(line one) G229H 2104 (next line) J-60151 = 22 July 2009
(line one) K049H 1559 (next line) J-60151 = 04 October (or November) 2009
(line one) B110H 1641 (next line) J-60151 = 11 February 2010

Note that only one digit is required for the year 2010, and cannot be confused with the year 2000, because GM Dexron VI was first introduced in the year 2006 (hence DEX 6 name). Engine oil date codes are different, but similar.

GM POWER STEERING FLUID (1 quart, made in Canada)
The following date code is stamped/ cut (not printed) on the label.
It is almost invisible, have to look carefully to see it.

26 10 7 = 26 October 2007
Note how the date and month digits are inverted from the way that they are listed in the USA. That is because Canada uses the European style of day/ month/ year.

BG SYNCHRO-SHIFT II TRANSMISSION FLUID
The code is printed on the 1-quart bottle cap.
(line one) 2030 (next line) 102209 = 22 October 2009

BATTERY (DELPHI/ AC Delco old style and some SEARS DIEHARD)
Dates are stamped on the cover near one post. The first number is the year. The second character is the month A-M, skipping I. The last two characters indicate geographic areas. For example, 0BN3=2000 February.

BATTERY AC Delco (new style)
The warranty date code is located on the top label of the battery. The first character is either a P or S. The next two digits determine the month, the third digit is year and the fourth digit indicates the manufacturing plant. For example, P 094N means the battery was made in September 2004 in the New Brunswick factory.

ACURA RDX OEM BATTERY:
My battery (2009 RDX) is made by Johnson Controls Battery Group, Inc. for Acura (as stated on the battery). There are two locations for the warranty code. As you face the car, the positive battery post is on the left (toward the passenger side of the vehicle). One code is printed on the top of the battery, on the lower right hand (driver) side corner. The other (same) code is melted into the front top center of the battery. The code on my battery is “8L26C54”, which is a date of December 2008. This is logical since my car was manufactured in December 2008, as stated on the VIN. Actually, the date may be November 2008, since I do not know if the letter “I” is used or skipped, for this manufacturer.

Often you can contact the battery manufacturer (or seller), to learn how to read the date code (or find the data online). There are only a few manufacturers of batteries. For example, SEARS does not make batteries, but I personally choose to buy my battery based on the warranty and seller, rather than the manufacturer.
Old 06-13-2012, 12:29 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 210 Likes on 147 Posts
Update 1

Since I cannot update an old post, this is a complete update/ rewrite of my original post.

This information is current as of June 2012. When the words “current” and “currently” are used below, this is the date meant. It is not possible to give examples of every possible fluid and filter, but the following should be enough information to enable you to decode most product date codes. OR, you can call the manufacturer, or search online for further information.

Some of the reasons to read oil and filter and battery date codes:

· how old is that oil I found in the back of my garage?

· how old is the oil on sale at my local parts store? am I buying oil that has been on the shelf a couple of years? is the oil older than its shelf life?

· how old is that battery sitting on the shelf that I am about to purchase? A battery older than 3 months from the manufacturer’s date is already suffering from permanent and irreversible sulfation (limiting maximum life).

In case this is not obvious, the product service life must be subtracted from the shelf life of the product. For example, if the product has a shelf life of 3 years, and the product has been on the shelf for 2 years (unused since the manufacturing date), then the product can only be used for one year (remaining service life of 1 year).

Or consider the example of radiator anti-freeze coolant with a shelf life of 8 years. If it has been stored (since the manufacturer date) for 5 years, then it can ONLY be used in a vehicle radiator for 3 years, NOT the normal 5 years for most long-life coolants.

The stated (maximum) product shelf life will be attained, only if the product is stored under optimal conditions, as specifically stated by Valvoline. Stored in your garage, in alternating zero degrees winter and 100 degrees summer, alternating high and low humidity, can hardly be considered an optimal condition. And yet, storing a lot of oil in your basement next to the furnace is not safe. Don’t buy more than one or two oil changes ahead, no matter how good the sale price.

Bottom line – all products have a limited shelf life, regardless of what the manufacturer states. I personally will not use any non-synthetic oil that is older than 2 years, nor synthetic oil that is older than 3 years, nor any filters older than 3 years – no matter how they have been stored.

SUGGESTION: if you cannot read the date code on the product that you have purchased, you can at least write your purchase date on the container. Then, a year or two later you will know when you purchased the product.

OIL SHELF LIFE:
· Castrol – their phone helpline stated that the shelf life of all their oil products is 3 years.
· Mobil 1 – their web site states that (synthetic) engine oil has a shelf life of 5 years (in the FAQs section). Some of the current production oils have an expiration date stamped on the bottle/ container. No data is provided for on the shelf life of Mobil 1 gear oil. No data is provided for the shelf life of Mobil non-synthetic oil.
· Pennzoil non-synthetic – estimated at 3 years
· Red Line products – their phone helpline stated that there is no shelf life.
· Valvoline – the web site FAQs states “The Valvoline Company does not have a documented shelf life exposure on finished motor oil or ATF. We would expect under optimal conditions that the product would be stable for an extended period of time. … Shake the container before use. If the fluid sets, sometimes the additives may settle in the bottom of the container.”
· Valvoline – the web site FAQs states “Any chemical that has been opened including brake fluid, power steering fluid, etc., has a recommended shelf life of no longer than 2-3 years, depending on storage.”

COOLANT (radiator anti-freeze) SHELF LIFE:
· Honda/ Acura type 2 brand – contains no silicates but some phosphate. Unknown shelf life. The factory OEM fill service life is 10 years or 120K miles, and then 5 years or 60K miles on a refill. The packaging, both Honda and Acura bottles, states that vehicle protection is for 5 years or 60,000 miles. Anyway, it would seem that the shelf life of the dealer fluid would be similar to the service life as indicated by either the Owner’s Manual, or the MID (maintenance indicator display).

· GM Dex-Cool – this applies ONLY to officially licensed GM products, such as Texaco-Havoline or Prestone. Make certain you check the product label for the GM license number. Since Dex-Cool is silicate free, it can be stored in an unopened container for at least 8 years. But note that the Pennzoil brand (of Dex-Cool) specifically states a shelf life of only 5 years, which is equal to the service life.

· Prestone brand – the following quote is taken from their coolant web site FAQs. It is not applicable to a particular type of their coolant product. They do make several different types of coolant/ anti-freeze. “If the product is still in the original sealed container then it has a shelf life of many years. If the product has been opened and has not been diluted with water then it also has a shelf life of many years.

· Traditional Green Color and other non-long-life types – the silicate contained will eventually polymerize into a gel, because it is unstable. So the shelf life is only about 18 months (NOT years). Now you know why these types of coolant fluids should be replaced every 2 years (max) in your vehicle radiator.

FILTER SHELF LIFE:
I have no specific information on shelf life for any type of automotive filter.

I personally will not use any type of filter that is older than 3 years. Yes, most filters have date codes. Remember, the important part of any filter is treated paper. A tiny rip or degenerative failure, and the filter is worthless.

Honda engine oil filters are packaged inside clear plastic covering. So are Honda engine air and cabin air filters. The packaging is not air tight, which is a good thing probably, because then humidity and condensation might degrade the paper filter. But most other brands of filters, are packaged only inside a simple cardboard box. Actually, with either type of packing, if the filter is not stored properly, dust and humidity can easily damage the filter.

So when you pick up an oil filter from the self to purchase it, is the box covered in dust? Well, the oil filter inside might be OK, or the filter itself might be filled with dust – not something you would want to push through your engine with the oil.

Or does the filter packaging show signs of water damage? I once purchased an oil filter. When it was time to install it, careful examination of the box (packaging) showed that the bottom half of the box had been in sitting in water. Based on where I live, I would guess that the pallet of filters was left outside, in either the rain or snow. And since the opening of the filter was downward, obviously the inside of the oil filter itself had also been water damaged. I put the filter back on the shelf in my garage, as a reminder to pay more attention when purchasing automotive products.

TYPICAL FORMATS of PRODUCT DATE CODES:
There are only a few ways of coding a date, so that it can be easily interpreted by the stocking personnel in a store. After all, it is in the best interest of companies to have old stock pulled, and not sold to a consumer, who then gets sick from eating expired canned goods. Oil companies use the same styles of date codes, as are used for cereal boxes, canned goods, etc.

Here are some examples of the most common date code styles:

1) 09231 = the 231st day of 2009, this format is known as Julian Date.
2) 09K19 = 19 October 2009
3) 11E9 = 11 May 2009, note how the year and day are reversed from the previous example
4) 1L = November 2011 (typical car battery date-code)

The letter coding is basically “A” = January, and “L” = December. Note that most (if not all) manufacturers skip the letter “I”, so that actually “M” = December. I assume “I” is skipped since it looks like the number digit one.

By noting the above, and looking at different dates and codes on various products, you can learn to decode the date on most products.

LOCATIONS of PRODUCT DATE CODES:
You may have to look carefully to even find the date code on some products. The codes may be printed on the product label. But they may also be printed directly on the product container. Castrol has printed the code in black lettering, on a black product container, for some gear oils (boy, is that difficult to read). Acura/ Honda prints some date codes in silver ink, on silver containers. I assume it is on purpose, to make finding and reading the date codes, difficult.

Mobil 1 actually “prints” the date codes, using laser dots cut into the product container, instead of ink. Or the date is cut into the label. At least it does not rub off or smear, like ink. Some manufacturers also stamp (or cut) the date code into the product container. In these cases it may be necessary to hold the container at an angle to the light, to see the date code reflected in the light.

DECODING ACTUAL DATE CODES:
· Castrol – the helpline person told me how to decode their date codes.
· Mobil 1 – the helpline person emailed me a decoding form for both old and new style date codes. The date code style changed in late September 2009. This information is reflected in the examples below.
· Pennzoil – beginning sometime in late 2009, Pennzoil began printing an easy-to-read date code on their engine oil, such as “28SEP09”.
· Redline – their phone help-line refused to tell me how to read their date code.
· Valvoline – their phone help-line refused to tell me how to read their date code.

Because not all manufacturers will specify how to decode the date, I cannot guarantee that the oil date codes below are completely accurate. They are partly based on information I have received in talking with oil company help-lines, and partly based on my own deciphering. If you cannot find a date code, look on the product label for a copyright date. You can be reasonably certain that the product is not newer (or older) than the copyright date on the label.

Below, the entire numerical codes printed on the product are given, so that you can see where the date code is included within other codes (such as manufacturing plant, product codes, etc.). The following date codes were taken directly from actual products that I have in my garage.

BATTERY DATE CODES:
Often you can contact the battery manufacturer (or seller), to learn how to read the date code (or find the data online). There are only a few manufacturers of batteries. For example, SEARS does not make batteries. But I personally choose to buy my battery based on the warranty and seller, rather than the manufacturer.

Battery (DELPHI/ AC Delco old style and some SEARS DIEHARD)
Dates are stamped on the cover near one post. The first number is the year. The second character is the month A-M, skipping I. The last two characters indicate geographic areas. For example, 0BN3 = 2000 February.

Battery AC Delco (new style)
The warranty date code is located on the top label of the battery. The first character is either a P or S. The next two digits determine the month, the third digit is year and the fourth digit indicates the manufacturing plant. For example, P 094N means the battery was made in September 2004 in the New Brunswick factory. This information was obtained by contacting the manufacturer directly (by my car dealer). The date code format may be different beginning in 2010.

Battery ACURA 2009 RDX OEM:
The code on my battery is “8L26C54”, which is a date of December 2008. This is logical since my car was manufactured in December 2008, as stated on the VIN. Actually, the date may be November 2008, since I do not know if the letter “I” is used or skipped, for this manufacturer.

This battery is made by Johnson Controls Battery Group, Inc. for Acura (as stated on the battery label). There are two locations for the warranty code. As you face the car, the positive battery post is on the left (toward the passenger side of the vehicle). One code is printed on the top of the battery, on the forward right hand (driver) side corner. The other (same) code is melted into the front top center of the battery.

ARMOR ALL products
ARMOR ALL Natural Finish DETAILER
A10117 009 = 117th day of 2010 (top of rear label)

ARMOR ALL ORIGINAL Protectant
UA8171 B = 171st day of 2008 (top of rear of bottle)

BG SYNCHRO-SHIFT II TRANSMISSION FLUID and TRANSFER CASE OIL
The code is printed on the 1-quart bottle cap.
(line one) 2030 (next line) 102209 = 22 October 2009

CASTROL FLUIDS
CASTROL BRAKE FLUID GT-LMA (12 ounce bottle)
M09176K1SP4110 = 176th day of 2009

CASTROL GEAR OIL, HYPOY C 80W-90
P061165 nn:nn = 116th day of 2006, ignore the digit “5”
P110905 18:19 = 90th day of 2011, at 6:19pm, ignore the digit “5”

CASTROL GEAR OIL, SYNTEC 75W-90
M062597 nn:nn BTW2578 = 259th day of 2006 at nn:nn time, ignore the digit “7”
M083157 02:06 BTW4586 = 315th day of 2008 at 2:06 am, ignore the digit “7”
M100377 11:48 ATW25612 = 37th day of 2010 at 11:48am, ignore the last digit “7”

FRAM Filters
FRAM CABIN AIR FILTER – ACURA RDX, p/n CF10134 FreshBreeze
(date code formats differ, depending upon the country of origin)
CF10134 XK12711 = 127th day of 2011

GATES HOSE
TRANSMISSION COOLER HOSE (the following is printed on the hose)
TRANSMISSION COOLER LINE HOSE SAE J1019 400 psi WP (working pressure),
CS071110 22:14 = 11 July 2010 at 10:14pm
CS081011 x2 13:02 = 10 October 2011 at 1:02pm

GM (General Motors) FLUIDS
GM gear oil Synthetic Axle 75W-90
101006 = 10 October 2006

GM MANUAL TRANSMISSION and TRANSFER CASE fluid (1 quart, made in Canada) –
P/N 88861800 (88861801 in Canada)
(date printed in black on black bottle on bottom)
102609/0033/3/0125 = 26 October 2009

GM ODOR ELIMINATOR odorless (16 ounce spray) – p/n 1237 8554
(date printed in black on black bottle on top-side)
E3186 = 318th day of 2006 OR 186th day of 2003

GM POWER STEERING FLUID regular (1 quart, made in Canada) –
P/N 89020661 (89021183 in Canada)
The following date code is stamped/ cut into (not printed onto) the label. The date code is almost invisible, have to look carefully to see it.

26 10 7 = 26 October 2007
Note how the date and month digits are inverted from the way that they are listed in the USA. That is because Canada uses the European style of day/ month/ year.

GM POWER STEERING FLUID cold weather semi-synthetic
P/N 12345866 and P/N 12345867 – (16 and 32 oz respectively)
Xxxx

PRESTONE DEX-COOL long-life coolant (RADIATOR) licensed by GM
MT8199B = 199th day of 2008
MT9259B = 259th day of 2009
MT0293B = 293rd day of 2010
MT1335B = 335th day of 2011

HEALTHY CLIMATE furnace filter for my house
HCF16-16 Merv-16 (16 x 25 x 5)
11/329/2 = 329th day of 2011, no idea what the digit “2” is about

HONDA and ACURA FLUIDS (fluids are the same, just different packaging, and Acura fluid part numbers (P/N) are the same as Honda P/Ns except Acura P/Ns end with the letter “A”):

NOTE: the MSDS for ATF-Z1 (dated 2003) mentions that the product is manufactured by Apollo America Corporation, http://www.apolloamerica.com/ That web site states: “Effective September 1st, 2006 Apollo America Corporation becomes Idemitsu Lubricants America Corporation (ILA). A new name with the same great products and services.” This company makes all of the Honda oils, for both cars and motorcycles.

HONDA/ ACURA BRAKE FLUID – p/n 08798-9008(A) – 12 ounce bottle:
(date code = ARyymmdd, located fairly obviously on the front label)
AR100115 = 15 January 2010
AR100401 = 01 April 2010 (yes, made on April Fools day)
AR090502 = 02 May 2009
AR080601 = 01 June 2008 (yes, I found a bottle of two year old fluid sitting on the dealer’s shelf, right next to a bottle that was only one month old)

HONDA/ ACURA COOLANT (RADIATOR) TYPE 2 – P/N OL999-9011(A)
(I do not have enough samples to properly decipher the date code.)
Acura // 10120 N
Honda (gold printing) // D11200 00:17:35 = unknown date at 17 minutes after midnight
Honda (gold printing) // D12352 21:35:15 = unknown date at 9:35pm, and I know that the date is not in 2012 because I purchased this bottle back in 2011. However, the date may possibly be 235th day of 2011.

NOTE: Honda/ Acura coolant (radiator anti-freeze) is made by Sunstar CCI in India – well, for coolant sold in the USA, it is actually made here in the USA by a subsidiary (of the parent Indian company) named Intac, which is located in Illinois. This includes coolant made for Honda motorcycles.

(HONDA) ACURA DPSF (Dual Pump System Fluid) p/n 08200-9002C, 08200-9007(A)
rear differential fluid for SH-AWD: (NOTE: date code is printed in silver ink-dots on the bottom of the silver bottle. There is also an obvious (non-date) code printed on the side of the bottle in red ink, e.g., 21010833)
ATL-2 14:48 06/02/10 = 02 June 2010 at 2:48pm
ATL-2 14:49 06/02/10 = 02 June 2010 at 2:49pm

HONDA POWER STEERING FLUID P/N 08206-9002: single digit year, LETTER for month
Acura // (on first line) 8I JA0007 (on next line) 1657 052B = September 2008
Honda // 9K JA0014 = November 2009
Honda // 0F JA0002 = June 2010

HONDA TRANSMISSION FLUID ATF: single digit year, LETTER for month
(NOTE: date code is printed in silver ink-dots on the bottom of the silver bottle, very difficult to see. There is also a clearly visible (date) code printed on the side of the bottle)
ATF-Z1 P/N 08200-9001 OES: the following two codes are printed on the same bottle:
0B JA0045 = February 2010 (side of bottle)
021710/?/1918/0125 = 17 February 2010 (bottom of bottle)

DW-1 P/N 08200-9008 OES (USA) and P/N CA66844 OES (Canada)
??? date ???

HONDA and ACURA PARTS (some parts such as drain plug washers, are common between Honda and Acura models, and I find that the Honda Dealer parts cost is generally a bit less than my Acura Dealer parts cost. Also my Honda dealer gives me a 10% discount on parts.):

NOTE: most parts have three codes on the label along with the part number, as below. Some parts have a single code – no idea what it is but I cannot decipher it as a date. As a point of interest, all of the example parts below were purchased in May 2012, even though the dates vary by more than 10 years. And all of these examples were purchased for my 2009 RDX. The non-date codes apparently indicate the manufacturing plant location, etc.:

VC nnnnn
CP nnnnn
JD nnnnn – Julian Date as YYDDD

(HONDA) ACURA Engine Air Cleaner for Acura RDX – p/n 17220-RWC-A00:
VC 000777
CP
JD 11003 – 3rd day of 2011

(HONDA) ACURA GREASE
p/n 08798-9012: Dow Corning MolyKote MH62 – note that this product has a 5 year shelf life from date of manufacture according to Dow Corning. As it was purchased in May 2012, it is already 18 months old and I have ‘lost’ one third of its $30 cost.
VC 002165
CP 909030
JD 10354 – 354th day of 2010

(HONDA) ACURA HVAC driver side Duct Assembly for Acura RDX – p/n 79101-STK-A41:
VC 001754
CP CRN
JD 08328 – 328th day of 2008

(HONDA) ACURA Power Steering RETURN HOSE (passenger side wheel well) – p/n 53732-STK-A01:
VC 000742
CP CRN
JD 11019 – 19th day of 2011

(HONDA) ACURA Power Steering Return Hose CLIP (engine bay) – p/n 53729-S0X-003:
VC 0743
CP CRN T
JD 11115 – 115th day of 2011

VC 000743
CP CRN T
JD 12041 – 41st day of 2012

(HONDA) ACURA Power Steering Return Hose CLIP (passenger wheel well) – p/n 53729-S87-A01:
NOTE: the following codes are printed on the label without the indicating (VC, CP, JD) lettering.

CRN
01156 – 156th day of 2001

(HONDA) ACURA Wiper Blade Inserts for Acura RDX
NOTE: the parts are almost 2 years old (from date of purchase in May 2012). Since the parts are not vacuum sealed (like my Chevy dealer blades), they are subject to slow oxidation. I assume that the parts people do not understand the date code, and do not ‘turn’ the parts so that oldest parts are sold first.

p/n 76622-STK-A01: driver side blade insert (long)
VC 000710
CP CRN
JD 10243 – 243rd day of 2010

p/n 76632-STK-A01: passenger side blade insert (short)
VC 000710
CP CRN T
JD 11063 – 63rd day of 2011

p/n 76622-S2K-004: rear hatch blade insert
code: 1S18 – no idea what this means

K&N Filters
Engine Oil Filter – Acura RDX, p/n HP-1010
(date printed in pale yellow ink, on the end of the filter)
061709AB2 19:25 = 17 June 2009 at 7:25pm

MEGUIAR’S products
(MYnnn aaaa: code either etched or printed on bottom of back of bottle. The last two digits of the p/n indicate the number of ounces in the container, so that the p/n differs by packaging.)

MEGUIAR’S GOLD CLASS CLEAR COAT PASTE WAX – p/n G-7014J
L5092 MRMG = November 2005

MEGUIAR’S HI-TECH YELLOW WAX 26 (paste) – p/n M-2611
H601 MRQC = August 2006

MEGUIAR’S HI-TECH YELLOW WAX 26 (liquid) – p/n M-2616
K4303 TBAS = October 2004

MEGUIAR’S POLYMER SEALANT 2.0 (21) – p/n M2116
C6131 SSLC = March 2006
K0041 636F = October 2010

MEGUIAR’S MIRROR GLAZE 2 FINE CUT CLEANER – p/n M0216
D6131 ERMG = April 2006

MEGUIAR’S MACHINE GLAZE 3 – p/n M0316
?4182 LMMO = (month) 2004, the month on this example was smudged out

MEGUIAR’S SHOW CAR GLAZE 7 – p/n M0716
D7201 SSQC = April 2007

MEGUIAR’S HEAVY DUTY VINYL CLEANER 39 – p/n M-3916
C5091 RCMG = March 2005

MEGUIAR’S VINYL and RUBBER CLEANER 40 – p/n M-4016
J7031 LVRA = September 2007

MOBIL1 (Exon-Mobil) brand FLUIDS and Filters:
Date codes are either “printed” by laser etched dots on the container, no ink, OR cut into the label. Location of dates is currently most-often somewhere on the label. Since there is no ink, the only way to see the date-code is to hold the container at an angle, and see the code reflected in bright light. There are also typically other (non-date) codes printed on the containers, clearly, in ink.

MOBIL 1 ENGINE OIL
(note that 5501 is the product code for 10W-30 weight oil):
(note that 5810 is the product code for 5W-30 weight oil):
(note that 5888 is the product code for 5W-30 Extended Performance weight oil):

(old style date examples)
10W-30 quart // X12D8 5501 = 12 April 2008, plant X = Beaumont, product = 5501
5W-30 quart // X13F9 5810 = 13 June 2009
5W-30 (5-liters) // PA02F9 5810 T339 = 02 June 2009, plant PA = Port Allen

(new style date examples): pppYYMDDa nnnn
5W-30 quart // 10110B25A 5810 = 25 February 2010, plant 101 = BeaumontTX

MOBIL 1 ENGINE OIL FILTER, Acura RDX, p/n M1-110
(date printed on the end of the filter)
110509AB3 02:42 = 05 November 2009 at 02:42am

MOBIL 1 GEAR OIL:
(old style date examples): OEV (d)dMy
75W-90 quart // (on first line) OEV5J6 C (on next line) 01788 #5990 = 05 September 2006
75W-90 quart // (on first line) OEV21G9 B (on next line) 24659 #4508 = 21 July 2009

(new style date examples): OEV YYMDD aa
75W-90 quart // (on first line) OEV09K19A C (on next line) 01521 #6583 = 19 November 2009
75W-90 quart // (on first line) OEV10B25A B (on next line) 33964 #9186 = 25 February 2010

Note the similarities of the characters between the “old” and “new” style date codes (just above). Yet the placement, and number of digits for the year, has been changed. The November date code style shown above, allows for showing dates beginning in 2010. Also, there is some indication that Mobil 1 does not use the letter date code “I”, so that “K” would actually be October instead of November. I do not have enough samples of product to make this determination.

MOBIL 1 GREASE (date located on the plastic removable end-cap):
10511G25A = 25 July 2011, plant 105 = Olathe, production run “A”

MOBIL 1 TRANSMISSION OIL ATF:
Synthetic ATF// 10110G15A SYN ATF = 15 July 2010, plant 101 = BeaumontTX

MOPAR synthetic Gear Oil 75W-90:
MRT 081205 C = 12 August 2005

PENNZOIL ENGINE OIL (old style date codes):
5W-30 quart // LALPA461482/ 05198 11:32 = 19 May 2008 at 11:32 am
10W-30 quart // LALPA463639/ 06168 13:34 = 16 Jun 2008 at 1:34 pm
5W-30 (5-qt) // LALP465289/ 071108/ 09:11 = 11 July 2008 at 09:11 am

Currently Pennzoil prints an obvious date on most products, such as “28APR09”.

PROCTOR and GAMBLE products
SIMPLE GREEN MOTORSPORTS Cleaner and Degreaser – p/n 13412 VER: 13412B08
PG0181002 = Proctor and Gamble, 181st day of 2000

SIMPLE GREEN Cleaner Spray Bottle – p/n 13033 VER: A-11
PG1230044 = Proctor and Gamble, 230th day of 2011
PG1230045 = Proctor and Gamble, 230th day of 2011
PG1270058 = Proctor and Gamble, 270th day of 2011

SIMPLE GREEN refill bottle (2 quart+) – p/n 13014 VER: A-11
PG1334071 = Proctor and Gamble, 334th day of 2011

RED LINE brand FLUIDS:
I special order Red-Line fluids from my local CARQUEST auto-parts dealer. Price is lower than anywhere else, including the online case-price from Amazon.com (even with FREE shipping). CARQUEST does not charge me shipping, arrival is within 3 days (faster than online orders), and I can order a single bottle if I like. The exception is Light-weight Racing ATF, which I must order from a local speed shop (specializing in Subaru cars).

RED LINE ATF (automatic transmission fluid) D4 p/n 30504:
Quart // 61164/ 8750S-003352 = 164th day of 2011 – 2 samples from the same packing case
Quart // 61164/ 8750S-003353 = 164th day of 2011 – 2 samples from the same packing case

RED LINE ATF (automatic transmission fluid) D6 p/n 30704:
Quart // 00xxx

RED LINE ATF SYNTHETIC RACING p/n 30304:
As shown by the following examples, all of which were purchased in February 2011, the age of dealer stock can vary by years. And the older bottles indicated that they had been on the shelf for some time, being dusty and dirty (the outside of the bottles).

Quart // 59348/ 8689-000058 = 348th day of 2009
Quart // 59348/ 8689-001076 = 348th day of 2009
Quart // 60267/ 8461-003063 = 267th day of 2010
Quart // 60267/ 8461-003065 = 267th day of 2010
Quart // 60267/ 8461-003066 = 267th day of 2010
Quart // 60355/ 8558-002277 = 355th day of 2010

RED LINE ATF LIGHTWEIGHT RACING p/n 30314:
Quart // 61032/ 8601-001059 = 32nd day of 2011 – 6 samples from the same packing case
Quart // 61032/ 8601-001060 = 32nd day of 2011
Quart // 61032/ 8601-001062 = 32nd day of 2011
Quart // 61032/ 8601-001063 = 32nd day of 2011
Quart // 61032/ 8601-001064 = 32nd day of 2011
Quart // 61032/ 8601-001067 = 32nd day of 2011

RED LINE gear oil 75W-90 p/n 57904
Quart // 56292/ 6084-0001663 = 292nd day of 2006

RED LINE POWER STEERING FLUID SYNTHETIC p/n 30404:
Quart // 60158/ 8322-003068 = 158th day of 2010
Quart // 60316/ 8510-003108 = 316th day of 2010

SEARS FLUIDS
Spectrum Plus 10W30 engine oil
(date printed in black on black bottle on top-side)
Quart // 26G11 B79847-11 19:46:05 = 26 July 2011, at 7:46pm and 5 seconds

TURTLE WAX products
TURTLE WAX ICE TOTAL INTERIOR CARE
10014 0002PPP = 14th day of 2010 (top of rear label)
11126 0018APP = 126th day of 2011 (top of rear label)

TURTLE WAX BUG & TAR REMOVER (16 ounce spray bottle)
07225 0020ANL = 225th day of 2007 (top of rear label)

VALVOLINE brand FLUIDS:
(date codes = mddyy an ), the “an” is apparently a product code

VALVOLINE gear oil HIGH PERFORMANCE 80W-90:
C186O = 18 March 2006, the “O” is apparently a product code
J2611C3 0831 = 26 September 2011

VALVOLINE gear oil SynPower 75W-90:
F076C = 07 June 2006, the “C” is apparently a product code
H2211C3 1124 = 22 August 2011

VALVOLINE GREASE SYNPOWER SYNTHETIC NLGI 2:
9051580 = date ??
00xxx
05xxx
7xxx
08xxx

VALVOLINE TRANSMISSION OIL – DEXRON-VI ATF:
(line one) G229H 2104 (next line) J-60151 = 22 July 2009 @ 9:04pm
(line one) K049H 1559 (next line) J-60151 = 04 Nov 2009 @ 3:59pm
(line one) B110H 1641 (next line) J-60151 = 11 Feb 2010 @ 4:41pm
(line one) K1611C1 1640 (next line) J-60151 = 16 Oct 2011 @ 4:40pm

Note that J-60151 is the GM license number
Note that another valid Valvoline GM Dexron-VI license number is: “J-60319”
Note that GM Dexron-VI license number:
“J-600nn” means that the provider is an ORIGINAL FORMULATOR/ manufacturer.
“J-601nn” means that the provider is a re-BLENDER of the product.
“J-603nn” means that the provider is a re-BRANDER of the product.

Therefore, VALVOLINE is both a RE-BLENDER (license J-60151) and a RE-BRANDER (license J-60319) of Dexron-VI, not an original manufacturer of the product.

VALVOLINE TRANSMISSION OIL – DEX/ MERC ATF:
(There is currently no license number on this product, as it is NOT a licensed product)
J1210S2 06:42 = 12 Sep 2010 @ 6:42am
E1011S2 15:26 = 10 May 2011 @ 3:26pm
K2211S1 11:47 = 22 Oct 2011 @ 11:47am

VALVOLINE TRANSMISSION OIL – MERCON V:
The date is printed on the bottom of the bottles, in blue ink on the blue bottle,
in a standard format of mm/dd/yy followed by several other codes.

WINDSHIELD WASHER FLUIDS:
PRESTONE DE-ICER (yellow color):
IA1334 08:19 = 334th day of 2011 @ 8:19am

RAIN-X windshield washer fluid 2-in-1 (orange color):
09256 CRY = 256th day of 2009
09343 CRY = 343rd day of 2009
11327 CRY = 327th day of 2011

---eof
The following users liked this post:
NBP04TL4ME (10-05-2014)