3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Program HomeLink without a "learn" button? 3G Garage #I-049

Old 07-18-2005, 08:33 AM
Keep Right Except to Pass

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts
Program HomeLink without a "learn" button? 3G Garage #I-049

My mother and father have one of those garage door openers (I believe it's a LiftMaster) that uses a rolling code. The manuals in my TL and my father's TSX say that to program the HomeLink to work with this sort of opener you have to use the "learn" button on the door remote. There is no such button on his opener. Anyone know of a way to program that sort of door opener on the HomeLink?
Old 07-18-2005, 08:52 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 1995hoo
My mother and father have one of those garage door openers (I believe it's a LiftMaster) that uses a rolling code. The manuals in my TL and my father's TSX say that to program the HomeLink to work with this sort of opener you have to use the "learn" button on the door remote. There is no such button on his opener. Anyone know of a way to program that sort of door opener on the HomeLink?
An alternate method on my opener is to use the wall mounted touchpad. It's a 3-button touchpad w/ open, light and lock buttons. Using a combination of those three buttons I'm able to initiate a learn mode for the different functions (open/close and light on/off). Check the mfg's web site for online manuals. Good luck.
Old 07-18-2005, 10:49 AM
Keep Right Except to Pass

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts
Thanks, I will Google it the next time I go over there.
Old 07-18-2005, 11:46 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by 1995hoo
That learn button is on the opener <<<< the thing that is screwed to the ceiling in the garage. With mine I remove the light cover, u then press the button and within a few seconds of pressing it, select the homelink button u wish to use. So maybe check under the light cover for a button...if its not there I have no clue. Good luck
Old 07-18-2005, 12:31 PM
Administrator

Received 995 Likes on 569 Posts
Here is an older thread on Homelink procedures, plus my notes on the procedures. Hope something here helps you.

To program Homelink, see page 145 in the owner’s manual. Before starting, you should erase any previously learned codes by pressing the two outside buttons on the HomeLink transciever for about 20 seconds, until the red light flashes. Release the buttons and proceed to step 1.

Also remember that once programmed, you have to keep pressing the button on your homelink for 1-2 seconds for it to work. It is not just a quick push like you are used to on the original remote.

STEPS 1-6 ARE REQUIRED FOR BOTH ROLLING CODE AND NON-ROLLING CODE TRANSMITTERS.

1. Unplug the garage door opener motor from the house current.

2. Hold the end of the garage door opener remote control 2 to 5 inches from HomeLink. Make sure you are not blocking your view of the red light in HomeLink.

3. Press and hold the remote control button and one of the HomeLink buttons at the same time. (Note: Canadian owner’s, see manual for additional instruction.)

4. The red light in HomeLink should begin flashing. It will flash slowly at first, then rapidly.

5. When the red light flashes rapidly, release both buttons. HomeLink should have learned the code from the remote control.

6. Plug in the garage door opener motor, then test the HomeLink Transceiver button by pushing it. If the button does not work, repeat this procedure to train again. If it still does not work, you may have a variable or rolling code garage door opener. See if you do by pressing the HomeLink transceiver button you just trained. If the red light blinks for 2 seconds, then stays on, you have a rolling code garage door opener. Go to step 7.

For rolling codes, you have to go through the instructions from number 1-6, and then start the rolling code procedures as follows.

7. Find the Training button on the garage or gate opener. Press and hold the button until the light next to the button comes on or blinks, then release it. You then have 30 seconds to complete the next step.

8. Press the button you just tried to train two times, holding it 3 to 4 seconds each time before releasing. The training light on the opener goes off. (Some systems may require you to press and release the button up to three times.)

9. Press the HomeLink button again to operate the garage door or gate opener.

If you have a problem or for more information, call HomeLink at 1-800-355-3515 or visit their website at http://www.homelink.com/program/programming.tml
Old 07-18-2005, 12:38 PM
Team Anthracite Member

I had the same problem.
I got on my ladder and was hitting the learn button and jumping down to get in my car and get it to "learn" the code.

I believe this is what I had to do:
Use the original garage door remote and have the HomeLink learn that code.
Then have the garage door opener (Main Unit) learn/accept the HomeLink as a valid remote.

Or go to www.homelink.com to call the number there for "clearer" instructions.
Old 07-18-2005, 01:19 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Be careful not to hold down the "learn" button down too long - just press and release. I held mine down too long and erased the homelink settings to all three cars and I had to reprogram them.
The following users liked this post:
bluez16 (02-19-2012)
Old 09-11-2007, 09:16 PM

Received 2,773 Likes on 1,976 Posts
Originally Posted by Ron A
Here is an older thread on Homelink procedures, plus my notes on the procedures. Hope something here helps you.

To program Homelink, see page 145 in the owner’s manual. Before starting, you should erase any previously learned codes by pressing the two outside buttons on the HomeLink transciever for about 20 seconds, until the red light flashes. Release the buttons and proceed to step 1.

Also remember that once programmed, you have to keep pressing the button on your homelink for 1-2 seconds for it to work. It is not just a quick push like you are used to on the original remote.

STEPS 1-6 ARE REQUIRED FOR BOTH ROLLING CODE AND NON-ROLLING CODE TRANSMITTERS.

1. Unplug the garage door opener motor from the house current.

2. Hold the end of the garage door opener remote control 2 to 5 inches from HomeLink. Make sure you are not blocking your view of the red light in HomeLink.

3. Press and hold the remote control button and one of the HomeLink buttons at the same time. (Note: Canadian owner’s, see manual for additional instruction.)

4. The red light in HomeLink should begin flashing. It will flash slowly at first, then rapidly.

5. When the red light flashes rapidly, release both buttons. HomeLink should have learned the code from the remote control.

6. Plug in the garage door opener motor, then test the HomeLink Transceiver button by pushing it. If the button does not work, repeat this procedure to train again. If it still does not work, you may have a variable or rolling code garage door opener. See if you do by pressing the HomeLink transceiver button you just trained. If the red light blinks for 2 seconds, then stays on, you have a rolling code garage door opener. Go to step 7.

For rolling codes, you have to go through the instructions from number 1-6, and then start the rolling code procedures as follows.

7. Find the Training button on the garage or gate opener. Press and hold the button until the light next to the button comes on or blinks, then release it. You then have 30 seconds to complete the next step.

8. Press the button you just tried to train two times, holding it 3 to 4 seconds each time before releasing. The training light on the opener goes off. (Some systems may require you to press and release the button up to three times.)

9. Press the HomeLink button again to operate the garage door or gate opener.

If you have a problem or for more information, call HomeLink at 1-800-355-3515 or visit their website at http://www.homelink.com/program/programming.tml
ok, this worked perfectly. thanks

my main issue was that the battery in my garage door opener was able to open the garage door, but wasnt strong enough to program homelink.
Old 02-19-2012, 09:42 PM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks!

Originally Posted by Yakuza70
Be careful not to hold down the "learn" button down too long - just press and release. I held mine down too long and erased the homelink settings to all three cars and I had to reprogram them.
Thanks!! That answered my question!!
Old 12-24-2013, 11:04 AM
2007 6SMT Type-S

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
This worked for me, only now my previous remote doesn't work. What steps do I take to program multiple remotes? Will this cause my wife's remote to stop working as well? She's at work and can't test it.
Old 12-24-2013, 01:18 PM
-------Tim-------

Received 609 Likes on 513 Posts
^I just did this, this morning. Homelink in the TL works, but the remote opener (Liftmaster)no longer works. Haven't had a chance to try to reprogram that remote yet, didn't realize until after leaving house and randomly trying the remote. Haven't had a chance to test my fiance's remote yet either(she's at work). I have read that even with a Rolling code, it can remember up to 5 remotes/homelink. Any advice appreciated.
Old 12-24-2013, 06:45 PM
2007 6SMT Type-S

Originally Posted by Slpr04UA6
^I just did this, this morning. Homelink in the TL works, but the remote opener (Liftmaster)no longer works. Haven't had a chance to try to reprogram that remote yet, didn't realize until after leaving house and randomly trying the remote. Haven't had a chance to test my fiance's remote yet either(she's at work). I have read that even with a Rolling code, it can remember up to 5 remotes/homelink. Any advice appreciated.
Sound like we are in the same boat. The wife got home and sure enough, her remote no longer works now. Just got stink eye cuz (God forbid) she had to walk in the house to open the garage.
Slpr04UA6 (12-25-2013)
Old 12-24-2013, 07:08 PM
2007 6SMT Type-S

Been playing around for awhile with mine, see if this works for your Lift Master (mine's a Genie). Just go push your learn/progarm button of the garage opener. Press the button on your remote, wait 2 seconds and push it again. If it's anything like mine, your remote will now work as well as your Acura's Homelink.

In other words, just follow the instructions that came with your Lift Master to program a standard remote. Good luck!
Slpr04UA6 (12-28-2013)
Old 12-28-2013, 05:34 PM
-------Tim-------

^yup. Apparently when I was doing the learn process for the Homelink in the TL, I held the learn button vs just pressing it once. I believe this erases all other remotes that were programmed prior. As you stated, my fiance's remote didn't work as well. So after doing the learn procedure again, I programmed the two remotes, and my fiance's TSX homelink, and ALL work great now!
Old 12-28-2013, 06:49 PM
the overexplainer

Received 385 Likes on 337 Posts
i was trying to do this earlier today with my parent's new garage opener. Except when I unplugged the garage motor it still has a built in battery back up so it opened and closed while i was trying to get the HL to learn the remote.

my HL also didnt blink rapidly to indicate it learned, it just slow blinked until it turned off by itself. I already pre-wiped the HL before all of this.

Gave up. i dont park in the garage anyway let alone live at my parents' but i wanted to see if it'd work lol.
Old 12-28-2013, 08:59 PM
-------Tim-------

^some procedures are different. Depends on the model/year. Some have "learn" buttons, some don't. For garage doors I have found that #2, or 3 on the HL works, I have never been able to program #1 for some reason. Also, the "learn" button if you have it, seem's to work easier than the remote (in my experience).
Old 12-29-2013, 08:45 AM
2007 6SMT Type-S

^yup. Apparently when I was doing the learn process for the Homelink in the TL, I held the learn button vs just pressing it once.
Now that you say that, I realize that I did the same thing. Glad you got yours working.

Originally Posted by ez12a

Gave up. i dont park in the garage anyway let alone live at my parents' but i wanted to see if it'd work lol.
Yeah, totally not worth the trouble if you will never (or rarely) use it. This is the 3rd time I’ve tried getting mine to work. I was pretty determined (took all morning on my day off reading and troubleshooting). This attempt was going to be my final, I got too many other projects around the house that need my attention. The remote on the visor really didn't bother me THAT much. Now the indentation of where the remote once was bugs me more than the actual remote did.
Old 12-29-2013, 05:39 PM
Drifting

Received 591 Likes on 441 Posts
I just programmed my HL to a new opener a couple weeks ago. I followed the procedure in the owner's manual which is what Ron had posted.

To note, it did not wipe out the other remotes like some of you have posted. You should just have to press the "learn" button on the back of the motor and then press the HL button in the car. I do not think I held the learn button, but just pressed it and it lit up. This is on a Chamberlain opener which should be the same as a Lift-Master/Craftsman which supports Security+.