'08 TL air conditioning compressor turning on and off?

Old 06-09-2011, 02:02 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'08 TL air conditioning compressor turning on and off?

Seems when the weathers warm and i turn my A/C on that the compressor keeps turning on and off literally every 10 seconds. If sitting at a stop light you can actually see the rpms flutter a little bit when it turns itself on. The only thing I can think of is that it needs to be hooked up to the A/C machine to fill up, but it blows out cold air? Has anyone had this problem with hearing and feeling the compressor turning on and off like crazy?
Old 06-09-2011, 04:10 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 831 Likes on 679 Posts
It will cycle on and off so as the system doesn't freeze up.
Old 06-09-2011, 04:23 PM
Instructor

yeah but not every 5-10 seconds. I've never been in a car where the compressor turns on and off so much.
Old 06-09-2011, 05:33 PM
B A N N E D

Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts
I had the problem just as you, until it did not start anymore. If my memory is correct, the shop changed a magnet in the compressor, or in some area of the A/C system, and it solved the problem. But I am sure the part replaced was or had a magnet included. Hope this helps!
Old 06-09-2011, 07:24 PM
Instructor

Hmm i'll have to run that by one of the techs. It def. does not seem right. I've worked at a car dealer for almost 6 years and have drove about everything you could. With that said I have seen many weird problems but nothing of this sort.
Old 06-09-2011, 07:43 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 831 Likes on 679 Posts
Put a stick thermometer in the vent to see what the temp is, but if at idle the compressor will cycle off and on quickly under certain conditions and that is normal.

If you believe there might be a problem, there is a way to retrieve a DTC without the HDS as it can be done through the climate control system or throw some gauges on the system to check.

Last edited by Turbonut; 06-09-2011 at 07:49 PM.
Old 06-09-2011, 08:02 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Same things happens in my 2008 TL. Are you sure it doesn't happen with all 3G TLs?
Old 06-09-2011, 09:57 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by tl3097flnkr
Same things happens in my 2008 TL. Are you sure it doesn't happen with all 3G TLs?
It can't be, my luck the compressor will take a dump when im just out of warranty. It cycles on and off literally under 10 seconds ALL THE TIME. It would not make any sense. The only thing i was told by a tech was that it could be from the A/C fluid being low, meaning to re-charge the system constantly. But again my a/c seems to be blowing cold and it isn't in a warm climate area for 9 months (NY).
Old 06-09-2011, 10:07 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,987 Likes on 1,411 Posts
Originally Posted by tl3097flnkr
^ this is normal, I've been in probably 100 different Acura's that are 2004+ and they all do the same thing with it cycling on and off.
Old 06-09-2011, 10:22 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by csmeance
^ this is normal, I've been in probably 100 different Acura's that are 2004+ and they all do the same thing with it cycling on and off.
Really? I checked out a MDX and a 4th gen tsx we have and they didn't seem close to how many times mine cycles, and never really seems to catch up. Like i've said before though I only know a limited amount on the TL in my few months of owning it. Cycling that much doesn't add a lot of wear on the A/C units themselves?
Old 08-08-2011, 05:31 PM
Intermediate

I have this problem too!!! but even if I put the blower and the a/c to OFF position....everything if OFF.....you heard the A/C clutch and condenser Fan go on and off every 10 sec....I really don't know the problem....and when I put the A/C on...it's very cold.....so the gaz seem ok!!!

thank to help me!!!

Oh yeah!!! I forgot!! the output of the ECM pinout E27 send the signal to the A/C clutch and everything is OFF....very weird!!
Old 08-11-2011, 09:40 AM
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
In my experience if the ac cycles on and off all the time, you are low on refrigerant. The low pressure switch in your ac system causes this. However if your air is still very cold it may either be low, but low enought to cause the compressor to cycle rapidly, but high enough to still transfer heat. OR the compressor could be on the way out... alot of times the compressor is starting to seize up and requires more force to turn when the clutch is engaged, causing the engine to slightly studder or load when the compressor cycles. just my .02.

EDIT - find someone with r134a manifold or even one of those charge bottles with a low pressure gauge on it and see what kind of pressures you're getting with the car on and on max cool. Should be about 40-50 psi depending on ambient temps.
Old 08-11-2011, 03:27 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts
I have the same problem... i didnt really pay attention as to how very ofter the compressor cycles but ive never used the ac much and it still blows cold like crazy. The problem that i have is that when it cycles my rpms flactuate and my car shakes a little more then it should.....
Old 08-12-2011, 03:24 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by BukvaMan
I have the same problem... i didnt really pay attention as to how very ofter the compressor cycles but ive never used the ac much and it still blows cold like crazy. The problem that i have is that when it cycles my rpms flactuate and my car shakes a little more then it should.....
My problem exactly. I live in NY so only about 3 months out of the year i actually use the AC. I will try getting it tested at my dealership though.
Old 04-25-2012, 08:19 PM
2nd Gear

I have a similiar problem on an 07 RDX, the ac seems to work on cooler days, but on hot days it blows cold(normal) for about 10 minutes then the air turns warmer. the fan pressure seems to be constant.
Old 09-23-2016, 12:42 PM
Stay Out Of the Left Lane

Received 1,236 Likes on 1,023 Posts
An old thread I know, but have recently run into a similar situation with my 08 TL-S. System would run fine when the engine was cold but after a little bit, it would only blow warm air. So I had a mechanic friend of mine take a look. At first he tried replacing the relay as he says this is a common failure point. Replaced and made no difference. Voltage on relay terminals was normal / at spec. He then jumped the terminals and still no click coming from the compressor clutch. The stator is not operating when it is hot. With the engine cold the following day he checked the stator. Resistance was 4.3 ohms - top of the range for resistance spec of 3.9 -4.3 ohms. He started the car and turned on the AC - it worked fine. He let run for 10 mins and it stopped working. He checked the stator resistance while hot - infinite resistance. Compressor clutch set and stator need to be replaced. $465 all in for OEM parts and his labor. So thought I would just share in case someone else is having similar issues/symptoms.
He is also replacing my PS pump which has been whining and complaining for about a year now. I've replaced the seals and tried all suggestions here on AZ, but no luck for me. Debated getting the AC fixed as it is late Sept in New England but it needs to be done and I know I will need it for the defroster this winter. These are the first out of pocket repairs on my almost 9 year old TL-S, so while I'm not crazy about spending a chuck of $$$ on my car, she has served and treated me well while I have owned her.
The following users liked this post:
RgnzlzTLS (07-29-2020)
Old 10-13-2018, 01:49 PM
1st Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by NBP04TL4ME
An old thread I know, but have recently run into a similar situation with my 08 TL-S. System would run fine when the engine was cold but after a little bit, it would only blow warm air. So I had a mechanic friend of mine take a look. At first he tried replacing the relay as he says this is a common failure point. Replaced and made no difference. Voltage on relay terminals was normal / at spec. He then jumped the terminals and still no click coming from the compressor clutch. The stator is not operating when it is hot. With the engine cold the following day he checked the stator. Resistance was 4.3 ohms - top of the range for resistance spec of 3.9 -4.3 ohms. He started the car and turned on the AC - it worked fine. He let run for 10 mins and it stopped working. He checked the stator resistance while hot - infinite resistance. Compressor clutch set and stator need to be replaced. $465 all in for OEM parts and his labor. So thought I would just share in case someone else is having similar issues/symptoms.
He is also replacing my PS pump which has been whining and complaining for about a year now. I've replaced the seals and tried all suggestions here on AZ, but no luck for me. Debated getting the AC fixed as it is late Sept in New England but it needs to be done and I know I will need it for the defroster this winter. These are the first out of pocket repairs on my almost 9 year old TL-S, so while I'm not crazy about spending a chuck of $$$ on my car, she has served and treated me well while I have owned her.

Sounds like a problem I’m have with my O6’ Acura TL thanks for sharing.
The following users liked this post:
Oldman-anto (03-25-2019)
Old 10-13-2018, 02:43 PM
Stay Out Of the Left Lane

Received 1,236 Likes on 1,023 Posts
Originally Posted by Dap Williams

No problem - hope this helps and you get yours figured out.
Old 03-25-2019, 04:09 PM
1st Gear

Same

What did you find out. What did you do? I have an 06 too and it’s doing the same thing.

[/QUOTE]