3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reasons for an engine mount needing to be replaced???

Old 08-04-2010, 11:48 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Reasons for an engine mount needing to be replaced???

O.K. so i'm going to take a look at 2007 TL today and i have the carfax report. the car is listed at $19,990 with 38k miles. My main question from the carfax is what would be a reason that the engine mounts would need to be replaced? Is there a possibility that the engine needed to be removed at one point?? Or am i just making a big deal out of nothing...

Carfax Report
Old 08-04-2010, 12:24 PM
Racer

my mounts were broken, they just dont hold the engine as well. let it shake a little whenevr your on WOT (when you back off you hear the engine drop back into place) the side mount goes then the front then the rear. then you have a tranny mount and if u let that break then ur in deep mud. had my mounts replaced with XLR8 mounts just yesterday. kinda a rough ride but hopefully they will settle down. i drove with broken mounts for months so its not too big of deal. just get it fixed sooner then later.
Old 08-04-2010, 07:51 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
if you drive agressively you are constantly putting a lot of stress on your mounts...TL is luxury car so the mounts are designed to absorb as much vibration as possible.

you replace them when they become worn or broken (ie you notice a change in how the car operates when idling, engaging transmission becomes harsh, excessive engine movement, etc)

If you drive gently, they last longer (I have nearly 100K on mine)
Old 08-04-2010, 10:36 PM
08 MDX, 04 TL (sold)

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts
How do you know if they are broken? Can they be visually inspected?
Old 08-04-2010, 10:53 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by jhumbo
Word..I have the same question because I think one may be broken on my car. Have never dealt with it before but also have never felt the shake that the engine produces between 1 and 2k rpms hot or cold. Cold idle can sometimes be roughhhh.
Old 08-04-2010, 11:25 PM
Safety Car

Received 481 Likes on 290 Posts
The TL, both second generation and third generation, are notorious for breaking mounts.

Third Generation

Are 3rd Gens Having Motor Mount Issues? (click here)
Broken Motor Mount (click here)
Leaking motor mount (click here)
'05 Auto Motor Mount Bad? (click here)

Second Generation

When to replace motor mount? (click here)
Motor Mount (click here)
Worn Motor Mount? (click here)
Motor mount important? (click here)
Went in for my tranny recall work, came out with broken motor mounts (click here)
Motor mount failures (click here)
Motor Mount replacement questions (click here)
cause of early rear motor mount failure? (click here)
question about the side motor mount (click here)
finding out what motor mount is bad (click here)
Side Motor Mount Tips (click here)
motor mount (click here)
Old 08-05-2010, 05:34 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by jhumbo
yes they can becusae I have asked my dealer to check them and last oil change they said they were OK
Old 08-05-2010, 11:43 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
the front and rear - looking from front of car back-- are expensive ($125-150 per) very trick, oil fluid filled and vac assisted mounts for smoother idle!

the front of car one fails from torque overload, the passenger side, (actual front of engine at crank pulley), goes after the front has been broken a while,, and its taking extra load

expect 50kmiles or so- whatever is just past warranty~ in most cases.
There are bad parts,,,,,,,,,, and there are bad drivers~

Most often found by dealer techs who know to look for oil traces from leakage-
not something a non acura tech would even know to look for--
who has fluid filled mounts!?!--besides us~

on any acura you like call customer care 1-800 382 2238x5 with the VIN
they can tell you if all recalls have been taken care of= and what was done as warranty work--things carfax will not know!

Note carfax ONLY knows what someone tells them! dealer services often get in, insurance paid crash repair gets reported for sure~-
-cash pay for crash repairs and no record sent to carfax

always have a private tech ck any car you really love and has passed the 800 number background ck, plus your visual ck of the interior and exterior, then to a mechanic for inspection underneath for crash- needs brakes-shocks etc,,
NEVER trust the acura CPO inspection- its not what you are led to believe for quality control
Old 08-05-2010, 12:39 PM
Suzuka Master

^lots of cars have "hydraulic" mounts my 89 and 92 sables had them...lol you knew when they went cause the car would go SNAP when you hit the gas......
Old 08-05-2010, 12:41 PM
08 MDX, 04 TL (sold)

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts
Inaccurate,

Thanks much for those links! In the second thread Broken Motor Mount , there was a quote that describes a nice procedure for checking:

Originally Posted by CAHobbs
One way you might be able to check the front mount is to have someone in the car, hood open, engine running, brakes ON and in low gear. Stand to the side of the engine from a safe distance and make sure the driver has the brakes on real good! Have the driver give some gas to load up the engine and then let off quickly. What you’re watching for is the engine to rock backwards then return to its normal position.. As the car tries to move forward, the engine torque will cause the engine to rotate in the opposite direction (Top of the engine towards the driver). This movement should be smooth and around one to two inches or so. If the engine rocks quickly and then "drops" back into place when the gas is let off quickly, then you may very well have a broken front motor mount.
I did this with the hood popped and without a second person to assist. With the hood open, you can see the top of the engine if you adjust your head a little. My engine movement was just as described so it seems to be okay. 123k on the car BTW.

Last edited by jhumbo; 08-05-2010 at 12:45 PM.
Old 08-12-2010, 09:58 AM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I have the same issue on my 05 with 52k miles. Started out as vibration at idle in gear with A/C on..has gotten slightly worse with vibration showing up w/o AC on. Did visually see the engine jump 1 to 2 inches when rev'd with brake on. Am probably going to replace front and side