frozen power windows

Old 01-27-2006, 02:15 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
frozen power windows

I never really thought that the power windows being frozen shut was to much of an issue until the other morning. Came out to a fairly cold morning and started the TL. walked around the car with a scraper and cleared the fron and rear windows. The side windows didn't have much frost at all. When I get to the end of our street the sun is beaming in my drivers window and to my horror I cant see a thing, the frost that didnt look like much a minute earlier was now a complete coating of film over the drivers window and I honestly could see nothing. Naturally the window was frozen shut and I wasn't sure what to do, so I opened the door, but still couldnt see to much to the left of me to turn, I had to use my ears to make sure I did'nt hear anyone coming. There was a car behind me and I felt pressured to do something. made the turn safely and I swear I was so angry that a window motor can't work in cold weather. I drove all the way to work with heat on and even then they wouldn't open (20 minute drive). I don't feel this is right and feel that a window shouldn't freeze up and not release over that period of time.
Old 01-27-2006, 03:14 PM
Newbie for Life

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts
Here in Indy, on super cold days when we've had precipitation overnight, my windows will freeze up as well. In fact, all of my cars have done this at one point or another.

In the mornings (my car sits outside at times during the night), I'll typically start up my car and throw on all defrosters and sit in my car for 2-3 minutes. Then I'll get out and scrape off all my windows and get back in the car. I'll wait another 2-3 minutes to get the feeling back in my face again. Then, if the temperature is up and the defrosters are working, my front window's frost should be loosening up.

As for the side window being frozen, I'll give the window switch a quick down and the immediately back up. I might do this a few times and after that my once frozen window is good. I'll only do this if I HAVE to put my window down though.

Might want to try the quick up and down of the switch a few times and see if that works.
Old 01-28-2006, 01:03 AM
Intermediate

The same thing happened to me yesterday (Thurs).

I felt very angry that I couldn't open any of my windows and what if I had been in the same situation where I couldn't see anything? Like...wth???

For some reason, I thought the power window must've broken, but on all 4 windows at the same time? I tried like 5-10 times, pushing the buttons up and down before I stopped and realized I might break them.

Damn winter!
Old 01-28-2006, 08:46 AM
10th Gear

Same here...unacceptable problem. Living on East coast of Canada, and it happens pretty well every morning, but *always* on a cold morning after a damp or wet night. All four windows and they are pretty much frozen solid, no amount of jiggling or scraping has any effect. Dealer gave me some dry silicon spray...no effect. I've had 4 Acuras in a row...and yes, it has happened occasionally on all of these other models, but something I could live with (all cars suffer this problem from time to time). If you have to go through a toll booth or open a parking garage door with a card each morning, it's pretty tough to take.

Craig
Old 01-29-2006, 01:06 PM
Advanced

I phoned the dealership, and the lady on the phone said I could bring it in and they would do something for me. I asked just what they would do, and she said put wd-40 on the tops of the window frames to prevent freezing. I suppose that might work for a few days anyway.
Old 02-12-2008, 04:32 PM
Unofficial Goat

Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts
Well I breathing life back into this thread.

Seems whenever it's cold and theres a little snow/moisture my windows all freeze shut! really annoying. I've isolated the problem to the rubber seal on the exterior lower portion of the window, and whats happening is the wipe is actually freezing to the window. So if you run a credit card or something along it to separate them the window will work fine. Anyone have suggestion for long term fix, or anyone else experience this? FWIW I have tints and moleskin.
Old 02-12-2008, 05:38 PM
The DVD-A Script Guy

Received 184 Likes on 131 Posts
Originally Posted by barry stevens
I phoned the dealership, and the lady on the phone said I could bring it in and they would do something for me. I asked just what they would do, and she said put wd-40 on the tops of the window frames to prevent freezing. I suppose that might work for a few days anyway.
She's dead wrong. Do not use WD-40. You need silicone spray that you can find at any hardware store. Use it on your window seals, door seals and trunk seals and you will greatly minimize freeze-ups. DO NOT SPRAY ON THE CAR, instead spray on a rag or paper towel and then apply to the seals. Otherwise you will have messy run-off that's a royal PITA to clean. My windows froze a bit the other day but popped free pretty quickly since it wasn't sticking to the seals.

Basically "Do not use WD-40" sums up just about any time you think you need to lube something. It has it's places but it's usually only when you have metal on metal and there is little real wear protection needed. Avoid it on plastics and rubber no matter what the can says.
Old 02-12-2008, 07:24 PM
Unofficial Goat

Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts
Originally Posted by Adobeman
She's dead wrong. Do not use WD-40. You need silicone spray that you can find at any hardware store. Use it on your window seals, door seals and trunk seals and you will greatly minimize freeze-ups. DO NOT SPRAY ON THE CAR, instead spray on a rag or paper towel and then apply to the seals. Otherwise you will have messy run-off that's a royal PITA to clean. My windows froze a bit the other day but popped free pretty quickly since it wasn't sticking to the seals.

Basically "Do not use WD-40" sums up just about any time you think you need to lube something. It has it's places but it's usually only when you have metal on metal and there is little real wear protection needed. Avoid it on plastics and rubber no matter what the can says.
Adobeman, I'm not sure if you remember but there was a thread a while back now about how chassis lubes with this silicone spray really extended the life of all the rubber bits under the car. I think the poster mentioned 3m silicone spray specifically. Is this the kind of stuff you suggest rubbing on the lower window seal to prevent freeze ups?

Ahh haa, found it. look here
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88881
and the full write up here
http://s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=179385