Front End Clunk + Increased Idle Cabin Vibration

Old 04-13-2012, 11:17 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front End Clunk + Increased Idle Cabin Vibration

I have a clunking sound like somethin is loose when going over uneven roads or when the suspension is in full droop..

I've changed:

-control arm bushings
-all ball joints (lower and upper)

When I jack up the front of the car there is zero play while trying to shake each side around.. I also get vibration at higher speeds as well (this might be a blancing issue)

I've also noticed my Idle getting alot rougher in the cabin but the RPM isn't fluctuating.. I've also noticed that when shutting the car off the cabin shakes ALOT and also on start up.

In addition, I've had an exhaust leak which I believe has started around the same time I had started to notice the increase clunking noise.. which maybe caused by worn engine mounts allowing the engine to move too much and maybe breaking the flexpipe???

I'm not sure but the mounts are fairly expensive and the bolts on my mounts are in pretty bad shape (rust wise) so before I decide to tackle this I want to be a little more certain this is my problem lol

Inputs?
Old 04-14-2012, 08:19 AM
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 123 Posts
Suggest inspecting the mounts under load. Following is what I did on Accord (very similar) to locate defective rear mount.

1) Set emergency brake firmly and have a trusted partner at the wheel w/ engine running and foot firmly holding brake to prevent car movement.

2) Place car in R and briefly punch throttle slighlty, 1500-2000 rpm, w/ you watching the rear mount from one side of the car. On Accord you can see rear mount from passenger side w/ a good light. Watch for excessive movement and damaged rubber.

3) Place engine in F and check front mount similarly.

Side mounts don't see as much dynamic load and are much more durable.

good luck
Old 04-14-2012, 09:02 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by TexasHonda
Suggest inspecting the mounts under load. Following is what I did on Accord (very similar) to locate defective rear mount.

1) Set emergency brake firmly and have a trusted partner at the wheel w/ engine running and foot firmly holding brake to prevent car movement.

2) Place car in R and briefly punch throttle slighlty, 1500-2000 rpm, w/ you watching the rear mount from one side of the car. On Accord you can see rear mount from passenger side w/ a good light. Watch for excessive movement and damaged rubber.

3) Place engine in F and check front mount similarly.

Side mounts don't see as much dynamic load and are much more durable.

good luck
Thanks for the response! Although I have a 6MT and not an automatic! What's the best way to put load on the mounts with a manual??
Old 04-15-2012, 12:57 PM
10th Gear

found these bushings cracked and torn this morning,

could this be causing my clunk over holes, uneven roads and speed bumps??

Passenger side:

Driver side:

Old 04-22-2012, 11:26 PM
Cruisin'

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
TSX's have problems with the passenger side motor mount going bad and causing the whole car to vibrate. When the mount goes bad, the bracket connected to the top of the mount will sit on top of the metal part of the mount and cause the vibration. To look at the mount better, rip the top rubber cover off of it (probably already partially torn if its broken)
Old 04-26-2012, 10:55 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by MyFreakGSR
TSX's have problems with the passenger side motor mount going bad and causing the whole car to vibrate. When the mount goes bad, the bracket connected to the top of the mount will sit on top of the metal part of the mount and cause the vibration. To look at the mount better, rip the top rubber cover off of it (probably already partially torn if its broken)
Side engine mount seems in good shape, still supporting the engine and no visual damage

I got my tires mounted and balanced today and the vibration has seems to have stopped,

Replacing the last two bushings that haven't been replaced on each control arm.. we'll see if this fixes the front end looseness sound
Old 05-20-2012, 01:54 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by blackcivic11
Side engine mount seems in good shape, still supporting the engine and no visual damage

I got my tires mounted and balanced today and the vibration has seems to have stopped,

Replacing the last two bushings that haven't been replaced on each control arm.. we'll see if this fixes the front end looseness sound
blackcivic,

Did you get those other bushings replaced? I am wondering because I have the same clunking/loosness issue. Thanks.

Thomas
Old 05-23-2012, 09:25 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by thomas_RENAMED
blackcivic,

Did you get those other bushings replaced? I am wondering because I have the same clunking/loosness issue. Thanks.

Thomas
Thomas,

I did indeed get around to swapping them all for new ones, it has helped a bit over straight driving however, it has not eliminated it.

I have ordered a set of coilovers to eliminate possible faulty top mounts and shocks. Still waiting to get these.
Old 07-18-2012, 11:23 AM
10th Gear

Little update,

The noise persists and seems to be getting worse.

Things I have changed so far:

- All ball joints
- All LCA bushings
- Swaybar endlinks (both sides)
- I have also noticed that the cabin vibration has reduced or I just don't notice it anymore...

Im also still waiting on my coilovers to arrive I should be getting them this week.

Anyone have any other ideas for me?? Any input/experience with this issue?

I am still wainting on my coilovers.