Help, My Bose factory cd player displays an err-3...

Old 11-03-2003, 06:16 PM
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Help, My Bose factory cd player displays an err-3...

I haven't had the car long and left the headlights on the other day. Needless to say, my battery died requiring a jump and when my car came back on the CD player said error 3. I've tried everything from holding buttons to inserting a cd in and out only to get no response. Nothing on the unit works, not even the radio. I got frustrated and decided to just go buy a new unit, but after buying a 250$ jvc cd player I found out from the installer that low and behold since this is a Bose system they wouldn't and couldn't install! So now I am back to square one. I tried calling the Acura dealership, of which there isn't one in my small college town, and they were no help at all, just told me to bring it in.. The nearest dealer is 2 hours away and I work full time.. I guess the most obvious question I have is whether or not it would be wise to try and take this thing out myself and tinker with it or say the hell with it and drive the two hours to get it fixed. I tried to reset the player by unplugging the battery for a couple minutes and that did not work either.

BTW, it's a 99' 3.0.... Thanks to anyone that can help.

Stuck in NC.
Old 11-03-2003, 06:17 PM
THE SILVER BULLET

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
u disconnected ur battery type in ur radio key in the manual
Old 11-03-2003, 06:18 PM
4th Gear

Not sure what you mean by that?

could you elaborate or are you asking me a question? I disconnected the battery cable under the hood and tried to reset it.
Old 11-03-2003, 06:23 PM
retired

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Your battery died fooling the radio into thinking that it was stolen .Open the hood and locate the underhood fusebox .Remove the lid and locate the 7.5 amp fuse marked "BACKUP" and remove it.Now count to about 15 and reinsert the fuse .Or simply pull the negative battery terminal off for about the same time .Now the next step requires that you have your radio code .If you do not have your code you will have to get it from your dealer (most have the code on file for car's they sold) .If they do not have it they can assist you in getting it .If you do have the radio code get in the car and turn the ignition on .Now turn on the radio it will say "code" on the main screen .Using the radio channel preset buttons enter the code ( the security code is 5 digits long by the way ). After the code is entered the radio will beep and will now function normally however your previously stored radio stations will have been lost just reprogram your stations and you are good to go.

Jens
The following users liked this post:
cullenation (09-28-2012)
Old 11-03-2003, 06:25 PM
4th Gear

That's got to be it..

because when I tried resetting the batt it didn't say error 3 until I jammed a bunch of buttons trying to get the thing to work. Thanks alot!
Old 11-03-2003, 06:32 PM
retired

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yeah I am sure you gave it 3 worng codes in a row inadvertently .When this is done the radio locks you out and will not accept any further codes untill power to it is interrupted again .DO as I desribed and using your security code you should be good to go .

Jens
Old 11-03-2003, 06:41 PM
4th Gear

Foudn the code in the glove box..

reset the batt.. Couldn't find the fuse, it's dark here and cold... Anyways, to make a long story short after two weeks without a radio I get it back in a matter of minutes.. Thanks alot!
The following users liked this post:
cullenation (09-28-2012)
Old 11-03-2003, 06:48 PM
THE SILVER BULLET

thats wat i said
Old 11-25-2003, 09:25 PM
1st Gear

well i must be the unluckiest sob ever.. i have the manual with the code, but IT DOESNT WORK.. the code given is simply wrong. Ive tried it 3 times and it just doesnt work.. its ridiculous.
Old 02-12-2005, 02:46 PM
Peace, Love & Acura

Get rid of that POS, I had a similar problem with mine. ALPINE sucks, get the JVC KD-SX980 or a comparable SONY or Pioneer. They will work wonders and sound great. Mine is awsome with the BOSE amps.
Old 02-12-2005, 09:16 PM
Audio/Video/Alarm Expert

you can integrate it with the factory bose system. Alpine does NOT SUCK.
JVC AND SONY are crap. Pioneer and Alpine are the most reliable units out there, that at a reasonable price.

If you buy the metra harness for a RSX Type S system, that harness will work with your vehicle and it will integrate the bose amp. That goes for 3.2CL's too.
If you run highlevel in, using a regular honda harness, it sounds distorted when you crank it up too high. By giving the bose amp low level input like you should, it'll sound great.

The wire harness has 4 rca's on it and power, ground, ignition, and amp turn on.
Old 06-14-2007, 01:16 AM
2nd Gear

PAC OEM-2

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-XgMmQLo....asp?i=127OEM2

Scosche FAI-3A

http://www.cardomain.com/item/SCOFAI...m=product_feed

you can use one of those (there are others i've found, but alot more expensive) interfaces to connect any after market deck to the system if you go that wrought.

this site http://www.carstereoremoval.com has instructions on how to get your deck out so you can read the serial number off the bottom of it. once you get the serial number you can call any Acura dealer and they will give you the code over the phone. you don't have to take the deck all the way out. i got the dash to tilt up just enough for me to look under and i could read the number off the bottom of the deck. just remember to write the code down for later. you can also register at the Acura's owner's website and save it there.
Old 06-14-2007, 07:00 AM
ur as welcome as cancer

Originally Posted by ajtcl
Get rid of that POS, I had a similar problem with mine. ALPINE sucks, get the JVC KD-SX980 or a comparable SONY or Pioneer. They will work wonders and sound great. Mine is awsome with the BOSE amps.
Come come now, don't talk out your ass haha.
My stock headunit cd player died oh I don't know about 80k ago and my Alpines have worked fine ever since. But I will say, as stupid as it is, you can buy a JVC or Pioneer at Wal-Mart, while Alpine wouldn't be caught dead @ Wal-mart...I'm just sayin'...
Old 06-14-2007, 07:04 AM
ur as welcome as cancer

Originally Posted by BlueCL3.0
reset the batt.. Couldn't find the fuse, it's dark here and cold... Anyways, to make a long story short after two weeks without a radio I get it back in a matter of minutes.. Thanks alot!

Dark and cold in NC? Come on hun, you can do better than that. College towns suck, yes, I know. The Honda dealership here thinks I'm a stupid girl "You know, you should think about getting a new timing belt" "Really? I just got a new one 20k ago, but thanks" haha

Glad you got it working again though. Write down the code & the steps you used to get your cd player working again if you need to b/c it'll always need to be reset after you get a new battery, have to get jumped, or after the battery has been disconnected.
Old 06-14-2007, 07:18 AM
Bagel Bomber

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
mreben....nice usage of the search! Its rare these days.
Old 06-14-2007, 08:54 AM

This happened to me a few days ago right after I bought my CL and took it to get checked out by my mechanic. What a pain in the ass, the 1 previous owner didn't give me the manual!!!. The dealers said it would cost 100$ + for them to take the stero out to get the stero s/n and then to look it up and put it in there. So I drove to the dealership (not my own just a random Acura dealer) and gave them the stero s/n that I got on my own, and it took 2 min for him to pull it off his computer. Entered just fine Didn't charge me a dime.
Old 06-14-2007, 09:00 AM
Instructor

[QUOTE=arstraub] The Honda dealership here thinks I'm a stupid girl "You know, you should think about getting a new timing belt" "Really? I just got a new one 20k ago, but thanks" haha
QUOTE]

The dealership maint shops think everyone is stupid. The only thing the service writers have ever studied is how to extract money from the customer.
Old 06-14-2007, 09:49 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 4,405 Likes on 3,017 Posts
Originally Posted by arstraub
Dark and cold in NC? Come on hun, you can do better than that. College towns suck, yes, I know. The Honda dealership here thinks I'm a stupid girl .
Old 06-14-2007, 10:05 AM
Nom Nom Nom Nom

Received 76 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by 97BlackAckCL

Nice resurrection of an old thread... I can't get over how much Acura charges to find out the code for a stereo. For 100 bucks, that would be a nice jump start for a better deck.
Old 06-14-2007, 12:18 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts
:shakehead