HFL "Booting up" '07 TL

Old 08-29-2011, 09:54 PM
Cruisin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
HFL "Booting up" '07 TL

Hi, recently I noticed that my 07 Acura TL Handsfree link just froze up and stuck on the "Booting Up". I searched this forum about the basics for troubleshooting it, for example removing the fuse box for 10-15 seconds to reset the bluetooth and reconnect it. but I couldn't find what fuse box # to pull out? Also, I read the manual and it doesn't say it there either Here are the stuff that I want to try as a basic troubleshooting before I take it to the dealer.

1) Pull out the fuse and reconnect it. But what's the fuse # that I need to pull out?

2) Disconnect and reconnect the HFL module at the sunroof. I know how to do this and will try this tomorrow.

Anything else I need to try aside from items 1 & 2? Thanks in advance for the help
Old 09-08-2011, 07:46 AM
Not THAT guy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This might help.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showpos...78&postcount=7
Old 04-30-2012, 01:56 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have an 2007 Acura tl type s and the hands free link doesn't work I can't use the phone and I pressed map/guide, menus, and concel together and everything is green except the hfl. How do I fix the hfl and how do I get the code for the redio it keeps poppin on the screen to enter a code. I just got this car from a private dealer. Its my first car. Even the navigation DVD is badly scratched and I downloaded one and I can't find out if it works or not because of the code. I would appreciate it if anyone who can help me with any information. Thank you.
Old 05-01-2012, 07:49 AM
Intermediate

mine did the same yesterday, only difference was that mine also muted all radio functions due to being frozen on the boot up screen. i pulled out fuses pressed buttons and nothing seemed to work. i finally plugged in my phone to the aux cable i have going to the us spec module for my ipod and that seem to work. radio started working again but it asked me for the radio code..found that a bit strange
Old 05-01-2012, 11:49 AM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,102 Likes on 763 Posts
Originally Posted by Vegesnaise
...everything is green except the hfl. How do I fix the hfl and how do I get the code for the redio it keeps poppin on the screen to enter a code. I just got this car from a private dealer. Its my first car. Even the navigation DVD is badly scratched and I downloaded one and I can't find out if it works or not because of the code.
If the radio keeps requesting the code, your car's battery may be on its last legs. If the battery is the original OEM, replace it and see if that resolves the radio and HFL problems.
FYI, sometimes the HFL units don't turn off properly and continue to draw power until the battery dies prematurely; this was the subject of a Technical Service Bulletin.

The radio and Navi codes are on a single plastic business card which should be with the paperwork given to you with the car or in the leatherette case containing the manuals. If not, check for the code card in the glove, armrest and spare tire compartments.
Acura techs will sometimes write the Navi and radio codes on a sticker and place it in the glove box or on top of the under-hood fuse box.
Otherwise, you will need to contact Acura with the VIN for the Navi code.

A scratched navigation DVD means that the trunk drive probably has gone bad-- also the subject of a Technical Service Bulletin. If the Acura warranty is no longer in effect on your car, you'll need to pull the drive and send it to Alpine in Torrance, CA for repair @ $160.

G/L, and welcome to AZ.
Old 02-17-2013, 05:08 PM
Advanced

I have the same problem in my 2007 TLS... I bought it from a dealer but the dealer was clueless.. I noticed a phone cable coming from the roof and it was hanging so I cut it thinking it was like a radar that they removed before they turned in the car... I hope it's not part of the HF unit..
Old 02-17-2013, 06:44 PM
Resident Dingo

Received 143 Likes on 113 Posts
If you're lucky you can find used units on CL and eBay. If the fuse isn't blown (I seriously doubt it will be) and it continuously says "booting", the HFL unit is probably dead. It is VERY easy to remove and re-install.

To the above: If it was just an individual wire hanging down it probably wasn't for the HFL. There is a connector that goes to it with multiple wires. It's easy to check, pull apart the dome light structure and check it out.

If you enjoy being spoon fed, here's a link to a how to pull that crap apart -- https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-2004-2008-93/g-100-diy-led-interior-conversion-part-i-map-light-console-746609/

Last edited by TheDingo; 02-17-2013 at 06:47 PM.
Old 03-25-2013, 07:29 PM
5th Gear

HFL part#

hey so i have been reading this forums and seems like im screwed now as well with my HFL being done for. keeps saying booting up and the wheel controls do nothing anymore. so i was going to buy the replacement, but im having trouble finding it anywhere, i want to make sure i have the right part i dont want to get the wrong one, so if anyone can help me out with this i would appreciate it.
07 TL
Old 03-27-2013, 07:10 PM
4th Gear

Hi everyone. It sounds like the lifespan of HFL (hands fee link) is 5 years. I had a similar problem this past February 2013 and had mine replaced. Cost about $350. Replacement works great. By the way if you contact hands fee link directly 888-528-7876 they will be able to help you determine if the HFL needs to be replaced or if it is something they can help you with over the phone. But you should be sitting in your car (not driving) when you call them. Don't despair, it can be fixed.
Old 03-27-2013, 07:14 PM
4th Gear

By the way, your Acura service department can do the repair. When I spoke with the HFL people they gave me a code to give the service department. In my case it was 3412555. They may give you a different code, but that I couldn't tell you.
Old 04-01-2013, 05:10 PM
2008 TL Type-S

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
I have had my TL-S for 2 days, and I noticed this same issue. After 5 min. of reading about this issue removing the unit is 10x easier then changing your oil so unless the dealer is doing the repair for free why would anyone not just do this themselves?
Old 04-01-2013, 05:28 PM
All Around Klown

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Dont bother trying to reset or repair... Been through that... Tried everything from battery disconnect to pulling fuses to holding HFL button for like 5 minutes (lol)... gonna have to buy a new unit. They are easy to replace though, and you can order online from Delray Acura...

http://www.acuraoemparts.com/delray/jsp/home.jsp

Partial part number 39770-SEP-A12... then pick your color from list. If they dont show your color you can always order wrong color then just switch the module itself.
Old 04-02-2013, 01:39 PM
2007 6SMT Type-S

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Will Y.

A scratched navigation DVD means that the trunk drive probably has gone bad-- also the subject of a Technical Service Bulletin. If the Acura warranty is no longer in effect on your car, you'll need to pull the drive and send it to Alpine in Torrance, CA for repair @ $160.

G/L, and welcome to AZ.
Alpine now charges $375.00 to repair the navi's DVD drive. Found out last month. Tried to get it for $160, they refused.

Originally Posted by EvilJoker
Dont bother trying to reset or repair... Been through that... Tried everything from battery disconnect to pulling fuses to holding HFL button for like 5 minutes (lol)... gonna have to buy a new unit. They are easy to replace though, and you can order online from Delray Acura...

http://www.acuraoemparts.com/delray/jsp/home.jsp

Partial part number 39770-SEP-A12... then pick your color from list. If they dont show your color you can always order wrong color then just switch the module itself.
I'm confused, what is the color for? The unit is located inside the dome light compartment, correct? So why does it ask for a color?

I noticed my phone wasn't pairing on it's own any more. Went out to the car are re-paired it with no problems. Everything worked. Went to make a phone call on my lunch break and once again, it wasn't paired. Hit the talk button and nothing. Went into the HFL using the controls on the right side of the steering wheel and under HFL it pops up the same "Booting up" message.

This sucks. I'm not buying another Acura/Honda unless it ships from Japan.
Old 04-02-2013, 08:22 PM
All Around Klown

Originally Posted by SurfingScotty
I'm confused, what is the color for? The unit is located inside the dome light compartment, correct? So why does it ask for a color?

I noticed my phone wasn't pairing on it's own any more. Went out to the car are re-paired it with no problems. Everything worked. Went to make a phone call on my lunch break and once again, it wasn't paired. Hit the talk button and nothing. Went into the HFL using the controls on the right side of the steering wheel and under HFL it pops up the same "Booting up" message.
you cant buy the actual unit by itself (dont know why), you actually get the whole trim piece with the module already attached (minus the buttons and switches).. And it is super common for those damn HFL modules to go out (they should have done a recall)... and sometimes when they get stuck in "booting up" they do not turn off and run your battery down...
Old 04-02-2013, 08:26 PM
All Around Klown

BTW, I have a friend that is a technical engineer and had him look at my old unit. There was no physical damage whatsoever at the board or component level. He said it was most likely a crappy chip they use.
Old 04-02-2013, 09:34 PM
Registered but harmless

Alpine now charges $375.00 to repair the navi's DVD drive. Found out last month. Tried to get it for $160, they refused.
I think others posted that the repair price changed during the last quarter of 2012.

The HFL comes with the large plastic bezel/housing that is in front of the overhead console lights, and that plastic housing's color changes with the color of the interior.

My HFL was the Moon Lake Gray color, since my TL interior is black w/ gray headliner & trim. The HFL for the camel interior is more expensive because of that bezel color.
IIRC, the HFL is only held in by 4 Torx screws, so one can buy the cheapest HFL and swap it for the dead HFL in the existing bezel if necessary.
Old 04-10-2013, 05:35 PM
1st Gear

Hi everyone, I'm new and just picked up a white 2007 TLS this past weekend. Mine is doing the same issues as what everyone else is saying in this thread.

HFL won't recognize my phone when I try to pair it and on the screen below the speedometer, it just says "Hands Free Link Booting Up" when I try to access it. I pulled fuses 7 and 10 to try and reset it, but all it did was reset the Nav, nothing changed with HFL. I'm now on the hunt for a new/used HFL module...should be fun.
Old 05-01-2013, 05:22 PM
4th Gear

I apologize for what might be a silly question but here it goes...

I have an 08 TL with Navi... where would it say "booting up"?

I've never used the Hands Free function so I don't know anything on how it works. I'm having a battery drain problem and it seems the HFL is a common reason for this so I'm gonna just disconnect it to see if it fixes my battery problem.
Old 05-17-2014, 10:38 AM
2nd Gear

I have a 2007 TL-S.
The part number on the module is different:
83251 SEP A20

Should the 39770-SEP-A12 listed for the TL work on the TL-S?
Old 05-19-2014, 09:20 PM
3rd Gear

Hey guys.

I had this problem. I tried a few options to fix it, minor unplug and fuse pulls etc with no luck.

I bought a board from an 06, however it doesent fit. The 05 And 06 have a dual card board and different plug. I even tried wiring the harness in, but the pin alignment is different and wire colors do not match up. Unless you have the schematic for both cars I wouldn't recommend trying this.

After hope was lost and I was going to order a new one online, I did the 385 for 9 minutes in the over. Well, I'm all smiles. It worked. Very happy.

Thanks everyone who contributes to this.

Also, I have a board now for an 05 or 06 that I'd sell for pretty cheap. Pm me if interested.

Cheers
Old 06-28-2014, 11:11 AM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hi everyone, I would not just go out and buy one. Here is what happened to me:

'Booting up' was displayed on my HFL link menu. I call up the HFL help and they said there is no fuse to reset the HFL, as it is hard wired. They also said there is no way to reset it by pressing the HFL buttons and holding for any time. I was thinking of disconnecting the battery, but read that it didn't work.

I bought the part 39770-SEP-A12ZA (07-08 TL) for $220 and it doesn't fit my 07 TL. It is a dual board type with a different connector and the part numbers do not match my module. Anyway, I disconnected my HFL unit from the connector during the swap out and reseated the connector and it now works. So, don't rush out and drop $200 or more. First, ether take 5 minutes and disconnect the HFL connector or disconnect your battery. It just might save you $200!

If I can't convince Delray Acura to take this part back since the part number on my unit doesn't match and the connector doesn't even mate correctly, I will let this go for $120. You can mount this HFL unit in your trim shell, so the color is irrelevant.

39770-SEP-A12ZA Moon Lake Grey TELEPHONE ASSY., HANDS FREE *NH528L* 1 $213.66 $213.66

Last edited by freakerdude; 06-28-2014 at 11:18 AM.
Old 07-19-2014, 11:20 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 160 Posts
freakerdude.....I also have an 07 AT with Navi and the part number that Acura gives me is the same as the one you listed....just a different color to match my interior. I don't know how the part can not fit if the part is the one referenced by Acura.
Any update from Delray or a solution from Acura?
My HFL came up with the "Booting up" error also. I found the service bulletin (08-057) , checked the fuse, dismantled the parts and reconnected and now it works....without replacing the control unit. Not sure how long that will last, so I may need to order the part. Acura wants $330 and online (not Delray) wants $221. Any update would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 08-01-2014, 07:55 PM
6th Gear

Thumbs up

Had this booting up message with no audible recognition from my buttons, so I simply removed the housing and two harnesses then the four (4) 8mm bolts and lastly the harness into the bluetooth unit.

I dusted the unit off, took a photo of it so I had the exact part number, replugged in the harness and reinstalled everything and it worked like a charm!!

I own a 2007 Acura TL base model no navi. Took me less than 10 mins.
Old 08-02-2014, 03:59 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 160 Posts
My HFL was intermittent after the dismantle and reseat so had to replace mine after all.....Acura of Tempe had a good price and they were great to work with. The switch over was very easy. Was hoping that the temporary fix would last, but no such luck. At least I saved a bundle from what the dealership wanted to charge for an easy fix.
Old 08-03-2014, 02:18 PM
8th Gear

(07 TL base no nav).... battery has been dying all the time, battery got replaced twice and they said its prob some small power draining and im pretty sure its from the HFL. I thought since mine is just the base i didnt have the bluetooth and all mine says is booting up, but i now know the pos hfl is broke. Im going to try to remove and put back in now hoping it work. Found a replacement online... cheapest i could find http://www.acurapartsforless.com/acura/tl/39770sepa12zb/2007-year/base-trim/5-speed-automatic-engine/electrical-exhaust-heater-fuel-cat/interior-light-scat/?part_name=telephone-assy-hands-free-nh556l-gray?search_str=39770-SEP-A12ZB
Old 08-07-2014, 04:08 PM
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Had Booting-up message.

My Bluetooth went out also, and read the fixes like heating the module with a heat gun or placing the module in the oven. I understand that this may work in some cases, but I used the info to purchase an OEM replacement. A new one cost me around $200 online. The dealer will charge you more of course. It's pretty easy to install yourself. There's a video on how to replace it. If you do a search on this topic it's easy to find. The install took me about 15mins to complete. You will need to program your phone numbers when you're done.
Old 08-12-2014, 12:11 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Since you have an 07+, I would just buy this off amazon:

Amazon.com: Kinivo BTC450 Bluetooth Hands-Free Car Kit for Cars with Aux Input Jack (3.5 mm) - supports aptX: Cell Phones & Accessories Amazon.com: Kinivo BTC450 Bluetooth Hands-Free Car Kit for Cars with Aux Input Jack (3.5 mm) - supports aptX: Cell Phones & Accessories

Buying the HFL wasn't worth it and since you have an AUX port, this gives you same bluetooth calling features AND bluetooth streaming audio for your music. Shelling out $200+ wasn't worth it.
The following users liked this post:
NateTheGreat8 (09-25-2014)
Old 08-13-2014, 11:13 PM
5th Gear

Thanks for the info, guys! Just bought an '08 TL-S with the "Booting Up" issue. While hardwiring a Valentine One, I noticed the bluetooth unit was disconnected and figured that's why it's not working. Plugged it back in when I put it all back together and it still doesn't work. After reading the info here, I'm disconnecting it again as it was likely causing battery drain w/ the previous owner!

2003 Porsche 911 Turbo [pics] UMW 1-bar ECU tune | H&R Coilovers & 24mm rear sway | CCW C10's 235f/315r
2008 Acura TL Type S 6MT [pics]
ex's: '01 BMW M5, '08 G37S Coupe 6MT, ''98 Trans Am WS6 M6, '98 Trans Am M6 conv't, '97 Mustang Cobra conv't, '92 Stealth Twin Turbo
Old 08-18-2014, 11:24 AM
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Yeah, $200 is kinda steep for a Bluetooth device that doesn't even stream music from your phone. I installed a separate device for that and put it in the console.
Amazon.com: Griffin Technology BlueTrip AUX for iPhone and Smartphones: Cell Phones & Accessories Amazon.com: Griffin Technology BlueTrip AUX for iPhone and Smartphones: Cell Phones & Accessories

I wanted the OEM HFL for phone calls since it integrates with the car's HUD.
The following users liked this post:
NateTheGreat8 (09-25-2014)
Old 08-26-2014, 08:46 PM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
so no music streaming???? that suxs
Old 09-25-2014, 10:02 AM
2nd Gear

I just bought my 07 TL w/ nav. a couple months ago. kept getting the "booting up" message for the HFL. Battery kept dying and always wondered what the issue was. I replaced my battery (which was the original Acura battery) and will now just disconnect the HFL so it doesn't drain the new one. Going to buy one of the Bluetooths for the AUX off Amazon, great idea!!
Old 11-19-2014, 06:28 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
So after disconnecting the hfl, my mid still display 'booting up' is this normal??
Thanks, Sam
Old 12-27-2014, 08:49 PM
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Possible solution

Guys, i had this issue this week after i tried to sync a new phone to my car.
"Booting up"
So i took out fuse 7 and 10 for 30 min like it was recommended but then i got the "Information not available"
So i synced my new phone (which was synced with the car the day before the issues started), with another Bluetooth device in the car and used that for a day.
Today i went back to the car and the HFL is back up and running.

Perhaps its just luck, but i would try that before you buy a new module, try to sync your phone to something else in the car...

GL
Old 12-28-2014, 09:14 AM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
What do you mean sync it to something else in the car? I had the same issue and did the fuse trick and baked it. Got the information not available like you after doing that. Drove it around some but still can't do anything with it. The buttons on the steering wheel seem to work but no voice commands go through.
Old 01-09-2015, 03:36 PM
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by tjl_48
What do you mean sync it to something else in the car? I had the same issue and did the fuse trick and baked it. Got the information not available like you after doing that. Drove it around some but still can't do anything with it. The buttons on the steering wheel seem to work but no voice commands go through.
I basically paired my phone with another Bluetooth unit in the car (i have a Bluetooth receiver i use to play music which output to the aux in the car)... i used it for 2 days then i noticed my phone synced to the car by itself.

if you have an old bluetooth ear piece it might work.

Good luck
Old 01-09-2015, 09:27 PM
10th Gear

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm sorry I'm not sure I follow "sync your phone to something else in the car."
Old 02-16-2015, 08:04 PM
'08 TL-S 6MT

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by boxmanryan
I'm sorry I'm not sure I follow "sync your phone to something else in the car."
I think he meant sync another phone to your car.

Anyways, I think my TL-S hit this issue. The two HFL buttons aren't responsive. I didn't look for the HFL booting screen in the MID, but figured it's the same issue. Where's the fuse box for #7 and #10.

Is this the TSB - http://www.mdxers.org/forums/attachm...oesnt-work.pdf
Old 05-12-2015, 05:02 PM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Does anyone know if I unplug the hands-free link, if my garage door opener was still work or not?
Old 05-12-2015, 07:57 PM
Registered but harmless

Originally Posted by jdw1
Does anyone know if I unplug the hands-free link, if my garage door opener was still work or not?
Yes, your Homelink will work as long as you remember to plug it back in after disconnecting the HFL unit.

The only things you lose in disconnecting the HFL are the Bluetooth phone connection and voice commands (if it's a TL w/ Navi).
Old 05-12-2015, 08:09 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts
I thought I'd share this since this thread popped up.

My HFL stopped working a couple of months ago. I decided to see about fixing it. Researched the problem and came across the baking technique as well as pulling fuses, etc. Anyway, I baked the module in the oven for just under 8 minutes at 385 degrees and it has worked again for the past month or so. No problems so far.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: HFL "Booting up" '07 TL