'04 Acura TL.. Hands Free Link option??

Old 03-19-2012, 05:58 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'04 Acura TL.. Hands Free Link option??

I just recently bought my 2004 Acura TL a couple of days ago and i was trying to set up my hands free link, but it doesn't give me the "phone setup" option. I read somewhere on the forum that the 04 TL's in canada don't have that feature, but i'm located in San Jose, CA. I see the tutorial on how to set it up on the manual.. and I have the buttons on the steering wheel and everything so i know my car is capable of doing it.

When i click on the talk button and say "phone set up" like told to in the manual.. it takes me to regular car set up. It's as if the option was taken off or something.
Old 03-21-2012, 08:20 AM
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My 04TL has had a few issues over the years. The software may be corrupted - that has happend to mine. I would think the only way to update is via the dealer.
Old 03-21-2012, 01:58 PM
2nd Gear

Hm thanks for replying. Do you know any idea on how much it would cost for them to fix it / replace it?
Old 03-23-2012, 11:38 AM
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I believe it was still in warranty or close enough that they just fixed it which tells me that it might be a simple non/labor fix that they were willing to perform for goodwill. I have seen the DIY on replacing the unit itself and it looks pretty easy - however, I have no idea about reflashing the hardware. I can't imagine it being expenseive, I would give'em a call.
Old 03-31-2012, 01:51 PM
8th Gear

I have a 2004 TL I bought new without Nav. The Hands free modules for this year have a history of being bad in many forms and replaced under warranty based on Service Bulletin 05-020, but most 04 warranties are now void unless you got one transfered that covered up to 100K miles. This bulletin references a replacement part which can not be found on line and is mentioned in this forum a few places. My Hands Free just died suddenly and I am looking for a replacement part. The dealers charge $400 to $900 to do this according to many posts. You can buy one for under $200 on line and use the service bulletin to show you how to do it. It is straight forword to do and easy. Be sure to use the feeler gauge trick to get the sun roof switch out without marking up the bezel. Now the 2005/2006 Hands Free replacement module is P# 3990-SEP-A02ZC-(the last character "c" denotes the color so it is A, B, or C depending on your interior color. I really don't know what the color changes- everything is black on my bezel.) This unfornately is not listed for the 2004 TL. What will pop up for the 2004 is the P# 3990-SEP-A01ZC which is the module obsoleted for the 2004 by the SB. I am trying to find out if the 2005 module will in fact work in the 2004. One post I read said it will work, but I want the seller to confirm it before buying. Will let you know what I find out. It lists for $181.43 plus shipping. I pulled the panel out and reconnected the sun roof button. I loose the interior lights but I remove the panel which is linked to killing batteries just in case that problem was also present.
Old 03-31-2012, 02:03 PM
8th Gear

correction of part number -replace "3990" with "39770" all places in previous post.
Old 04-01-2012, 09:22 PM
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
i'm looking for a replacement module too on my 04.
Old 04-03-2012, 11:25 AM
8th Gear

2004 Acura TL Hands Free Link Fix that worked for me for the Booting-Up problem. Cost Free.
I have read many blogs on the repair and fix of the Hands Free Link (HFL) module in Acuras. I have a 2004 TL Generation 3 is that style body. This year had a Service Bulletin 20-050 that describes what to do for a bonafied failure of the HFL module. This fixes a start-up (booting up problem) that does not seem to cause the drain the battery problem as well. I have a new battery and did not notice any weak starts. This is like a PC fix mentioned in one blog I read.
Symptom: Sudden HFL module stopped working. Buttons on Steering wheel were completely inactive for the phone. I have owned this car since new; and it has always been garage keep. Heat on the roof is a common failure for these HFL modules that sit under the sun for most of their life. It is like any computer item- heat is an eventual killer. It took 8 years for mine.
Here is what worked for me.
Be sure you have your Radio Code to enter in your radio. Mine was a 5 digit code on a sticker on the drivers side of the open glove box. If you don't have this; I am not sure what the Hands Free Module displays on the radio display without the radio activated.
Set your information display to Handsfree and press the Select/Reset button - if it says Booting Up that is what mine always said but never completed after it stopped working.
Removed the module from the roof using the feeler gauge trick to get the sun roof button out without marking up the bezel the night before and removed carefully the HFL module, cleaned the contacts with Isoproal alcohol and let dry. Handle with the same precautions of computer parts- static free environment.
Next morning I re-installed the module WITHOUT starting the car. I left it hanging so if it didn't work I could get it back out in case I had the battery issue.
I removed the negative battery connection for about a half an hour or more. DO NOT do a short amount of time or this will probably not work- I will explain later.
Reconnect the negative cable back to the battery and start the car.
Enter your radio code. I am not sure; but my HFL may have displayed the phone antenna and signal level ICONs before I looked at it. I was busy entering the radio code.
Either way the Phone symbols came up almost immediately when I looked.
I called my cell phone from the house phone and it worked.
I called my house phone from the car. It worked.
I turned the car OFF a few times and it still came back on and worked.
I went off to do some short trips and it still worked each time.
Now why did this work? First there are storage devices called capacitors that work like a battery storage but not for longs times- a few minutes to a few hours without a battery backup. Disconnecting the battery allows the capacitor to dscharge all the way and allow all computers in your car to really be turned OFF with power removed. Computers on the car work like a watch or other devices that get a quick recharge without being ON all the time. This is why the Booting UP process never completes and your module can hang up. If a half an hour does not work try an hour or more (over night) just in case this is on the border of the charge hold time. You will need a key to unlock your doors; if locked- check that your key works. Most of us seldom use the door key with the remote in hand.
Now the ggod and bad news - if this fixes your problem - you only had a booting up hang-up problem and your module is good. You are done.
If the problem continues and especially if you are having dead battery problems- your hands free link module is mostly bad and needs replacing.
Here is the skinny on that: The Service Bulletin 02-050 for the 2004 list parts for cars with and without NAV- I do not have NAV. It list 3 module for each based on interior color.
The 2004 modules end in "SEP-305Z and an A,B or C based on color. You can not find this module by searching the web. You have to write/call a on-line Acura Parts dealer who has to special order it from an Acura Warehouse. One dealer told me that the 2005/2006 where different part numbers for the 2004. I had asked the question if these would work in a 2004 and did not get a direct answer other than they were different for the 2004.
The correct replacement part for your car is based on your VIN number so have it handy if you order a module.
Light Cream IVORY is what matches the Parchment Interior. Although every unit I have seen are the Moon Lake Gray color (Black)
Good Luck and hope your problem is simple like mine.
Old 04-03-2012, 11:41 AM
8th Gear

Forgot to mention: If you need a new HFL Module, I found the module based on the service bulletin at Acura of Peoria .
For the Parchment Interior here is what I was told would work for my Acura 2004 TL VIN #:

The modules for the 2004 TL are different than the 2005, and 2006 is yet another design.

The bulletin changes to several part numbers. If yours has the cream/ivory interior, we can narrow it down to two:

With navigation: 04397-SEP-305ZC (807.26) numbers change based on interior color
Without navigation: 39770-SEP-305ZC (174.34)numbers change based on interior color

I had not gotten a price from Peona before I got my module fixed.

A local Dealer Hadley Acura indicated they could only get the 2004 HFL from the Honda warehouse on special order of about one day at a price of $232.00 plus taxes and ground shipping fo about $7.50.

Hope this helps!
Old 04-07-2012, 06:49 AM
8th Gear

2004 TL Hands Free Booting Hang-up Fixed.

OK Here is the latest. After doing what was described above, disconnecting the battery for at least 30 minutes, my Hands Free module continues to work fine.

So the real powering down (removing Negative cable for about an hour is probably best) and cleaning the HFL contacts with isopropal alcohol did the trick. Since I had cleaned the contacts first, but did not remove the battery cable and it did not work; I am sure the HFL rebooting (software) was reset by the removal of power.

This means you could try removing the power without taking the HFL module out at all and this makes the test very simple. If it works you are done.

Cleaning the contacts, if you take the module out, is probably a good thing to do especially if you are a smoker. Air pollutants and smoke residue collects on contacts and the Hands Free Module is up high where these would rise with heat of any kind. It surely won't hurt anything if you are careful when you do it not to bend the contacts.
Old 06-04-2012, 11:01 AM
8th Gear

OK here is an update to the Software Reboot fix I describe above. It has been over 3 months now and since I disconnected the battery and the HFL reset for the Boot-Up, every thing is still working fine. A side note: the HFL in my car is one that is suggested to be replaced because it has a high failure rate based on the Service Bulletin. It is still working fine and is original. I wonder how many working modules are replaced when the problem really was a simple bootup hangup. You are at the mercy of the dealer service department and how honest they are. Remember most service technicians are paid by the job they do and what they sell. So if you get the high price answer from one dealer, try another if possible, you may save a bundle.
Old 06-04-2012, 06:53 PM
Stay Out Of the Left Lane

Received 1,236 Likes on 1,023 Posts
This might be worth moving to the 3G garage...........
Old 06-20-2012, 03:20 PM
atm
Cruisin'

Has anyone confirmed that the 2005 part #39770-SEP-A02ZC will work in a 2004? The part that comes up for my 2004 was quoted at an astounding $800 from oemacuraparts.com now that Acura discontinued the 39770-SEP-A01Z(A,B,or C) parts.
Old 06-20-2012, 06:48 PM
Stay Out Of the Left Lane

Received 1,236 Likes on 1,023 Posts
Originally Posted by atm
Has anyone confirmed that the 2005 part #39770-SEP-A02ZC will work in a 2004? The part that comes up for my 2004 was quoted at an astounding $800 from oemacuraparts.com now that Acura discontinued the 39770-SEP-A01Z(A,B,or C) parts.
I would reach out to Tim to have him confirm pricing and the 2005 P/N is compatible and/or supersedes the 2004 P/N.

Tim Poliniak
Internet Parts Sales - Acura of Peoria
www.oemacuraparts.com
1-866-347-8355
e-mail: hondacuraworld@aol.com
Old 06-27-2012, 01:58 PM
atm
Cruisin'

Last week I called parts department at my local dealer who said he could order the correct part for my 2004 when I talked to him, but he was wrong. I called back today and he said he left me a voicemail with the phone number to call at JCI (Johnson Controls?) and stated that the part is discontinued. I never got the voicemail, but I ordered a new HFL unit for 2005/6 on ebay from an Acura dealer since it had a 14 day return policy. Received and installed it today. Glad to report that it works great on my 2004 TL. The part number I installed is 39770-SEP-A02ZC (Light Ivory Cream).

Last edited by atm; 06-27-2012 at 02:02 PM.
Old 06-27-2012, 03:11 PM
2004 Acura TL

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by atm
Last week I called parts department at my local dealer who said he could order the correct part for my 2004 when I talked to him, but he was wrong. I called back today and he said he left me a voicemail with the phone number to call at JCI (Johnson Controls?) and stated that the part is discontinued. I never got the voicemail, but I ordered a new HFL unit for 2005/6 on ebay from an Acura dealer since it had a 14 day return policy. Received and installed it today. Glad to report that it works great on my 2004 TL. The part number I installed is 39770-SEP-A02ZC (Light Ivory Cream).
good to know thanks