Problem with XM Traffic

Old 01-14-2008, 11:45 AM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Problem with XM Traffic

OK - Here's the deal. While I had the 3 month free trial of XM radio with traffic, everything worked great. The traffic would should me all accidents and construction up to 100 miles away. I liked it so much that I went and did the $77 subscription plus the $48 for Traffic.

Problem: when my free subscription ended, so did the traffic. I called XM twice and they told me that they would send out a signal to reset everything. However, when I look on the Navi for traffic updates, it tells me there is nothing within 30 miles. After the ride into work this morning, I'm convinced its lying

Any ideas on what the problem is? The XM radio works fine.
Old 01-14-2008, 11:58 AM
Racer

In order for the XM Traffic to work the radius must be set atleast at 1/2 mile, anything less will not have live traffic updates.
Old 01-14-2008, 02:02 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by tclavell
In order for the XM Traffic to work the radius must be set atleast at 1/2 mile, anything less will not have live traffic updates.
That I understand.

What I am talking about is when you touch the Navi screen, you get a button that states "Traffic Incidents." Previously, when I selected this button, I got a listing of all incidents within proximity of my car, up to 100 miles away. Select one and the navi screen show you exactly where its at on the map. When I press the traffic incidents button now, it says that there are no incidnets with in 30 miles. That is BS....
Old 01-20-2008, 06:47 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mine did the exact same thing. I paid for both radio and traffic and all of a sudden traffic stopped working. I contacted XM and they said my account was OK and they sent a reset. No dice. The only thing I can think of is that my relatively newly-installed window tinting is affecting it except 1) they used 3M non-metallic tint, and 2) I think the XM antenna is on top of the car.

It's frustrating because it worked great for the first 6 months. I could ask Acura but they may just point me back to XM.
Old 01-21-2008, 08:00 PM
Cruisin'

when they send the reset, you have to leave your car on channel 001 or something and leave the car running for like 20 mins, then everything should work, tint's got nothing to do with it, and one other thing, IN CASE you just turned on the car, you have to give it a few minutes to load up the traffic incedents, but if that doesn't work, then scream at XM
Old 01-28-2008, 06:21 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
I called XM again today to talk about this. The problem is that you don't get consistent answers from XM. You can go online to resend your radio a signal at www.refresh.xmradio.com or just call them. Have your radio ID number ready. It will resend the signal for 3 hours. But here's the catch. You must have your radio set to XM Channel 1 AND leave the nav screen on for 20 minutes. You must do both-not one or the other. I'm in Kansas City...we just got real time traffic but I don't think we have the traffic speeds yet-at least that's what they told me today. It should be coming very soon. If you do call XM to ask questions about your radio, ask to talk to either the Lexus/Acura dept. or the billing dept. Both should get you to people who know about the Nav Traffic.
Old 01-29-2008, 08:12 AM
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
dallas doesnt get flow data yet either...i guess we are not a big enought market...sarcasim....
Old 01-29-2008, 03:35 PM
9th Gear

I had the same problem except sometimes it would work and sometimes it would not. After talking with XM a number of times and re-setting the radio a number of times I took it into the dealer. Turns out that depending on which remote you use the settings all changed. I was embarrassed but sure enough that was my problem. On one of the remotes real time traffic was turned off and one it was on. I did not know that the remotes control things to that level. Live and learn.
Old 05-18-2008, 11:22 AM
Cruisin'

I actually got mine fixed the other day. Turns out there's a TSB on the issue. Fortunately the dealer left the 6 page document in the car so I can share if anyone needs me to. PM me if that's the case. It's nice to have it working again!!!
Old 05-18-2008, 03:04 PM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by DavidH1
I actually got mine fixed the other day. Turns out there's a TSB on the issue. Fortunately the dealer left the 6 page document in the car so I can share if anyone needs me to. PM me if that's the case. It's nice to have it working again!!!
hey can you post the document up.thanks
Old 05-19-2008, 08:47 AM
Instructor

Posting the TSB would be great!
Old 05-20-2008, 10:21 PM
Cruisin'

It's about 4 pages, I'm planning to scan it as a PDF and eMail it to those interested. Is there a better way to post it here?
Old 05-21-2008, 08:55 PM
1st Gear

would love to see the TSB....

i have the exact same traffic issue with my 08 TL. i just registered on this site so i don't think i can PM you. i am driving from DC to NYC this weekend and with holiday traffic, NavTraffic would be a welcome addition. if you can post the TSB here or email (cwmyers1 at y*hoo dot c*m) i would greatly appreciate it!!!
Old 05-23-2008, 01:13 PM
7th Gear

NEED to see the TSB as well. 2 months into the trial period- traffic quit. Also no single nav screen now only split screen? WHAT IS THE TSB #?
Old 05-23-2008, 04:52 PM
7th Gear

I could really use a better description of the traffic fix and the TSB sent to Marc.Lilley@montgomerycountymd.gov. I had a TSX w/ nav and controls that never worked right. Hoped the TL was better, guess not.
Old 05-23-2008, 10:12 PM
Intermediate

I also had to take my 2008 TL to the dealer. They had to reset it back in October. Had a free loaner car...but it was kind of a bummer!
Old 05-23-2008, 10:27 PM
Intermediate

Copy of tsb

I would like a copy as well.

wgambella@bellsouth.net
Old 05-24-2008, 09:28 AM
2nd Gear

me too please

brianzeeb@yahoo.com
Old 06-04-2008, 07:38 AM
3rd Gear

I am also having the same issue with my 07 TL w/nav also, could you email that tsb to me also.... Chrthr@yahoo.com
Old 06-05-2008, 06:41 AM
7th Gear

Mine is in shop with TSB thanks to Dave. They did not have it! Acura says they have had problems w/ XM traffic since 04'. Will replace replace the radio 1, ONE, uno times and it still may not work all the time. Funny how it worked for 2 months then stopped?
Old 06-06-2008, 03:06 PM
Team Owner

Finally....I got a REAL answer about XM Traffic.

Well guys, I finally got a definitive answer about XM Navigation Traffic and traffic speed/flows. I was at my dealership yesterday and the midwest Acura factory rep was there. He told me that Kansas City does NOT have traffic speeds yet, but we do have traffic incidents. He told me that St. Louis does have them-they pop up every time he's across the state.

However I called XM twice yesterday and twice the night before and got 3 different answers...yes, you should get traffic speeds, no you don't get them in KC. It's ridiculous with XM. But, I wanted everyone to know that I asked XM for a discount on my $3.99 per month for XM Traffic and he credited my $12.95, so if you have the same situation as I do (you get traffic incidents but not traffic speeds), you might try to call XM about a credit to your account.
Old 06-09-2008, 01:24 PM
3rd Gear

Smile Update On XM-Nav-Traffic

Originally Posted by Chrthr
I am also having the same issue with my 07 TL w/nav also, could you email that tsb to me also.... Chrthr@yahoo.com
Well guys here it is….

Today I went to the Acura Dealership in Boston, to get my XM-Nav-Traffic fixed…

Wow what an ordeal… These are the questions that you are going to get while you are at the dealership:

1. Did you turn-off the traffic function within the Nav-Menu? No
2. Did you pay your XM-Bill or is your credit card still valid? Yes
3. Do you have zoom settings set in the traffic range? Yes
4. Did you turn-off the traffic flow data with the “Icon” Menu? No
5. Did you contact XM first before coming to the dealership? Yes (4x) w/signal sent

Now once you get past all of those dumb @$$ questions. You will you have tech tell you that it is functioning properly and send you on your way. Do not leave the dealership until you see the traffic information displayed on your nav unit

Acura pulled my car into the shop and hooked the computer up to my car. 30 minutes later, the tech pulled up my car and said everything is correct no issue. I said cool, no problem. I got into my car and used the voice command of “Display Traffic Incidents”; Nav system replied “No traffic incidents within a 30 mile radius”. I knew that was wrong because RT 93 & RT 3 Hwy always has traffic or construction issues. Issue was not fixed. I went back into the dealership and informed service rep that issue was not resolved.

I told the tech that when you are driving and you want to zoom into the traffic mile range nothing is displayed and at after 15-20 minutes of driving that the traffic range (zoom) disappears and when you go into “Icons” on the nav main screen the “Traffic” option is grayed out and you cannot turn the nav traffic option on of off. I also told the tech that when you go back to zoom feature (to zoom in and out) you no longer see the words TRAFFIC at all.

Now the service tech will probably want to test drive your car. Tell them to drive the car for about 10-15 minutes for the traffic information to disappear. Service rep drove the car for about 15 mins and said that he would do a “Master Reset” of the electronics in the car. That process took about 15-20 minutes and another road test. Once the reset was done, all traffic appeared back on the nav unit. Woo-hoo… LMAO

Now concerning the TSB that everyone was looking for, I spoke to the District Service Manager that was on site. He informed to me that he could not find a TSB for this issue at all. And that any issue when it comes to the Nav Unit usually just needs a “Master Reset” of the electronics in the car before replacing the entire unit.

I hope this helps
Old 06-10-2008, 06:44 AM
7th Gear

There is a TSB. Dave sent it out. Yes Acura dealer was surprised. Ulimately it its a test on a new XM uit, to see if replacing it fixes the problem. Acura said they will replace it 1 time because it is a known problem between XM and Acura- traffic does not work consistently. I have contacted American Honda and will let you know what they say when I tell them the story. It may in fact be the antennae's inability to pull in the signal. Refreshing does not fix the problem. I love the fact that Consumer Reports NEVER has any of this info and says it works GREAT.
Old 06-12-2008, 11:13 PM
Cruisin'

It's amazing that some dealers can't find the TSB! It would be interesting to know if anybody followed the steps in the TSB (without going to the dealer) and got it working.
Old 06-13-2008, 07:55 AM
3rd Gear

TSB Copy

It's amazing that some dealers can't find the TSB! It would be interesting to know if anybody followed the steps in the TSB (without going to the dealer) and got it working.

Can you send out the TSB again. Here is my email addy - Chrthr@yahoo.com

Thanks
Old 06-15-2008, 04:06 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Chrthr
Can you send out the TSB again. Here is my email addy - Chrthr@yahoo.com

Thanks
On its way. If I inadvertently missed anybody, please PM me and I'll fire it off.
Old 06-16-2008, 06:47 AM
7th Gear

The replacement XM radio is getting the traffic signals. The Acura Rep tried to tell me that Baltimore is my closest traffic center! NOOO its DC! She also asked me to send them the TSB! I am completely convinced that Acura's great repair record is a hoax. There are many problems that they are aware of but somehow they are kept quiet.
Old 06-16-2008, 08:25 AM
Intermediate

Has anyone got the TSB?
Old 07-01-2008, 09:17 PM
Intermediate

Well the saga continues! I dropped my 2008 TL off at my Acura dealer yesterday and picked up my loaner car. They made me pick up the car and get XM to refresh the radio that night. Actually, their tech thought that since the Interstate showed red, that the Nav Traffic was working. He had NO CLUE!

Then I took the car back this morning along with the TSB that I got from Dave and got my loaner car again. Well, the dealer still has my car. They don't why the Nav Traffic does not come up. This is crazy?

Well, I still have their 2008 Loaner TL to drive and put miles on. More probably to come tomorrow in this saga.
Old 07-01-2008, 09:51 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,987 Likes on 1,411 Posts
also to any members that have the TSB, please forward a copy to csmeance@yahoo dot com so I can put it here for everyone.
Old 07-02-2008, 07:45 PM
Team Owner

Guys, I'm so excited...as of Sunday night, we now have traffic flows on XM Navigation Traffic in the Kansas City area.
Old 07-04-2008, 11:14 PM
Intermediate

Here are the details that my Acura Dealer told me. They installed new update that was available for the RL on my TL. My Nav Traffic is working!
Old 08-11-2008, 02:49 AM
Racer

Anyone have this TSB available? I am running into this as well. I couldn't get an appointment at my dealership for another two weeks so I am hope to fix this before I bring my car in. I guess I am just curious on how to do a master reset of the radio to see if that will fix the problem

Thanks
Old 09-28-2008, 07:35 PM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
can you please post the tsb on the traffic glitch? Thanks!
Old 09-28-2008, 09:26 PM
2nd Gear

Can you email me the TSB? Thank you..
Old 09-29-2008, 02:58 PM
2nd Gear

Sorry, email is Rrecinos@verizon.net
Old 09-29-2008, 09:44 PM
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts
can you email me too please? glennwbaker@msn.com
Old 10-07-2008, 03:02 PM
5th Gear

Adding XM + Siris w/ $77 special

I'm new to this so hang in there.... has anyone had any luck adding the Best of Siris to their existing XM Service?? I have a few months left on XM ($77.00 special for the year) and they won't add Siris without ordering a brand new package. They claim you can't add Siris to the $77.00 special. Let me know if anyone has any ideas!!
Old 10-28-2008, 12:34 AM
3rd Gear

I am having this issue with my 07 TL Type-S. Can you please forward me the TSB - travis at alltravis dot net.

Thank you!
Old 11-10-2008, 04:33 PM
1st Gear

copy of tsb

It's about 4 pages, I'm planning to scan it as a PDF and eMail it to those interested. Is there a better way to post it here?
can someone send the TSB to me pllease - the dealer has idiots as service techs and it is now day 2 of the second time I have left the car at the dealer.

wdforrest@hotmail.com

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Problem with XM Traffic