How to check fuel pressure??

Old 08-31-2006, 08:26 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How to check fuel pressure??

Can someone help me and tell me how you go about checking the fuel pressure? I really need to check this to fix my car!! Let me know!
Old 08-31-2006, 09:46 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
why do you think you need to test this to fix your car?
Old 09-01-2006, 06:18 AM
Racer

Because I need to figure out if it's my fuel pump/fuel lines, or my injectors.
Old 09-01-2006, 08:34 AM
Senior Moderator

fuel pressure gauge. I thought you already knew the fuel pressure?

Originally Posted by Jorge68
When they checked the fuel pressure..it was about 10psi. I checked the lines and the gas is coming out fine. I'm guessing it's the injector. Does anyboy know how to clean them?
If you test it again and its still low it wont be the injectors. They are the last spot the fuel goes thru.

Get a fuel pressure gauge and put it on the fuel rail
Old 09-01-2006, 08:55 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
fuel pressure gauge. I thought you already knew the fuel pressure?

If you test it again and its still low it wont be the injectors. They are the last spot the fuel goes thru.

Get a fuel pressure gauge and put it on the fuel rail
Exactly..I need to retest it since I changed out the fuel pump and it didn't help any.
Old 09-01-2006, 09:02 AM
I=X - optomos

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Did you find out what the PSI is suppose to be?
Old 09-01-2006, 09:46 AM
On the way!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by optomos
Did you find out what the PSI is suppose to be?
I don't have a manual - but my best guess would be 30-50 psi (leaning towards 40-50psi). I know it can vary based on intake vacuum and rpm.
Old 09-01-2006, 10:05 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by fla-tls
I don't have a manual - but my best guess would be 30-50 psi (leaning towards 40-50psi). I know it can vary based on intake vacuum and rpm.
This is acurate. Usually fuel pressure is anywhere from 35 to 55 on most cars. If he is only getting 10 psi, there is an issue somewhere in the fuel system, and is not an injector problem.
Old 09-01-2006, 11:38 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by TNelson
This is acurate. Usually fuel pressure is anywhere from 35 to 55 on most cars. If he is only getting 10 psi, there is an issue somewhere in the fuel system, and is not an injector problem.
That's what i'm trying to figure out. It could be clogged lines because of the stuff in my gas tank.
Old 09-01-2006, 02:56 PM
Intermediate

That's what i'm trying to figure out. It could be clogged lines because of the stuff in my gas tank.
After you find out what the PSI is. You also have to do a voume test assuming the PSI is correct. you'll have to get a manual for the specs. You should call your central library ask if they have automotive manuals. Mitchell Manuals are real good on info. Good Luck!!
Old 09-01-2006, 03:03 PM
Senior Moderator

You can get a fuel presure gauge at most auto parts stores.
Old 09-01-2006, 04:52 PM
Senior Moderator

sorry for the large size but this may help

Old 09-01-2006, 10:09 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Jorge,

Did you only change the fuel pump? Did you backflush the main pressure line?

If your pressure is low, I would suspect you can pinch the return line to check the pressure regulator. Also, when you pull the vacuum line from the regulator, if you find any fuel on that side of regulator, you are suffering from a torn diaphram.

If your pressure is still low after changing the pump and blocking the regulator return, I would suspect clogged fuel line. I could suggest a couple of ways to clean out the sediment, but they all involve flushing the line with flammable liquids;-). Or a really long pipe cleaner.
Old 09-07-2006, 05:00 PM
Racer

it says I need a special part (adapter) to check the pressure. Where can I get that??
Old 09-10-2006, 07:40 PM
Racer

anybody??
Old 09-10-2006, 09:31 PM
Senior Moderator

I have no idea? Search google maybe? it has to be out there.
Old 08-20-2017, 05:34 PM
10th Gear

it says I need a special part (adapter) to check the pressure. Where can I get that??
Hello. I am having a problem with testing fuel pressure on my 03 tl. I also saw that i need a special adapter. I was wondering if you ever found the adapter or found another place to test and how?
Old 08-20-2017, 09:14 PM
Unregistered Member

Received 555 Likes on 445 Posts
Originally Posted by nak3791
Hello. I am having a problem with testing fuel pressure on my 03 tl. I also saw that i need a special adapter. I was wondering if you ever found the adapter or found another place to test and how?
You can buy the adapter for about $80. The part number is 07VAJ-0040100. I'm not sure if it fits any other fuel gauges, but the Acura fuel gauge part number is 07406-004000C for about $60. There's no other simple and easy solutions, so it might be easier to spend $140 than to hack something up.
Old 08-21-2017, 04:55 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by Karanx7
You can buy the adapter for about $80. The part number is 07VAJ-0040100. I'm not sure if it fits any other fuel gauges, but the Acura fuel gauge part number is 07406-004000C for about $60. There's no other simple and easy solutions, so it might be easier to spend $140 than to hack something up.
Thanks for the reply. Im actually at a scrap yard right now about to pull the feed hose off of another TL. I'm just going to cut it and replace mine with it and use the fuel pressure gauge adapter that comes with most fuel pressure kits that you rent from auto parts stores that is a T fitting with the hose ports on it and use hose clamps.
Old 12-27-2019, 10:59 PM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by nak3791
Thanks for the reply. Im actually at a scrap yard right now about to pull the feed hose off of another TL. I'm just going to cut it and replace mine with it and use the fuel pressure gauge adapter that comes with most fuel pressure kits that you rent from auto parts stores that is a T fitting with the hose ports on it and use hose clamps.
I know it's been a while for you but I now have the same issue of no freekin' standard way to hook up a fuel pressure gauge on my Acura.
Hi, I'm actually planning the same thing to read my fuel pressure. How did it work for you?
Have any issues after cutting the feed line and using the standard T to connect your fuel pressure gauge?
Did you fix our problem?
Old 12-28-2019, 04:14 PM
Unregistered Member

Welcome to AZine, azinemotoman261
Old 03-04-2020, 09:48 AM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Karanx7
Welcome to AZine, azinemotoman261
01 TL 3.2 I have a 01 and first I thought I had transmission problems it was hesitating first at 45 I couldn't go over it then the next week I could only go 35 eventually to where the car wouldn't start this was in the dead of winter so expensive to mechanics both charged me for telling me they can't find the problem so now it's been sitting in my yard for a year and when I crank it I get nothing but when I spray starting fluid in the throttle body of fires up for a second or two until it's gone I replaced the fuel pump I replaced transmission filter change transmission fluid but I've come to know that it's the fuel lack of fuel or too much fuel I just heard yesterday that too much fuel would give me the symptoms for instance a broken fuel pressure regulator but I'm thinking that's the diaphragm is ruptured oh and also I've had people come to me and tell me my car was leaking gas one time at a red light months prior to the one t but nothing ever came of it until Doomsday but like I said I've had my injectors tested they are spraying the guy said he found 40 pounds of pressure in my system fuel so I'm completely fucking clueless here and there's this weird clamp on my pressure regulator it's like a crimp clamp I just today really read into how these fuel pressure regulators work and I guess it has a sending fuel line a return fuel line and a vacuum line that sucks or vacuums the air up which causes aether the diaphragm to open and allow more fuel but also now I'm thinking okay also my airbox is not completely sealed I'm missing a couple clamps where the air filter is so is that really that critical the vacuum pressure and I I'm thinking if it starts with starting fluid the problemmust be not enough fuel is this the case if it starts with starting fluid in the throttle body... Or could too much fuel cause the same symptom of constant cranking and never firing except with starting fluid and it does not remain running it shuts office within seconds any help would be greatly appreciated I think I've replaced every part in the fuel system except for the regulator and injectors but they are spraying and I don't have a pressure gauge but I'm not going to buy one either no money but I have tools and car parts so any help here would be greatly appreciated and I'm thinking if I am in fact getting too much fuel shouldn't I hypothetically be able to kinkthe line a little bit to hinder its fuel reception could this possibly work please let me know because I've had to buy two other cars because I can't fix this the first and explorer engine blew the second day I had so now it's sitting next to the Acura not moving and then I bought a Geo tracker wrote it for two years and now it's sitting next to both of them with a bad tranny and my shoes are just about worn through so any help would be greatly appreciated thank you world
Old 03-04-2020, 09:50 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,568 Likes on 6,621 Posts
Holy wall of text.

can you rephrase in sentences that normal humans can interpret so we can properly help diagnose your problem?
The following users liked this post:
whitetiger5 (03-04-2020)
Old 03-04-2020, 10:09 AM
3rd Gear

You can thank Google speech keyboard 2001 3.2 crank no start except with starting fluid I replace fuel pump I'm wanting to know if my pressure regulator is bad it will start with starting fluid until it burns off my injectors are spraying 40 PSI so I heard would too much fuel cause these symptoms or does this mean I have not enough fuel if it could be too much fuel couldn't I hypothetically kink the line a little bit until it runs good until I could buy a new one basically what's most important is is this definitely my fuel pressure regulator I replace the sending unit the entire assembly it is spraying through my injectors which means it is spraying through my system as I've also physically checked I have not myself put a gauge on it one of the two failing mechanics told me they did and I like how you talk about my post being useless by making your post useless but nevertheless thanks for the useless reply and it's funny because I think anyone else can understand exactly what I'm saying without being the keyboard police
Old 03-04-2020, 11:56 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,568 Likes on 6,621 Posts
i think i saw useless in there a few times.. but i never said your reply was useless, i'm saying it's really hard to understand your problem and if you want some help, it'd be prudent of you to use commas, periods, and other types of punctuation so it doesn't look like you just had one stream of thought shat out in a single sentence.

But what do i know..
Old 03-04-2020, 12:04 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 308 Likes on 253 Posts
Are you a bot?

Marc, we want to help you, but we need you to help us, help you.

Did you get a copy of the service manual? you can find it on here for free by searching "1999-03 tl service manual."

in the service manual they will guide you through the process of a 2G TL that doesn't start. since you are physically near the car I feel its best you go through this help diagnose what's going on.

Here's a google search of some similar threads, maybe something here will sound familiar to what you are experiencing (a note of caution on replying to the existing threads as some may be over a decade old)

https://www.google.com/search?q=site...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Old 03-04-2020, 03:03 PM
4th Gear

Here are a few ideas...

Any engine codes? How old is the gas in the tank? Maybe bad gas, water in the gas?
Could be an issue with the gas pedal position sensor, it's on the throttle body.
Could be the 'immobilizer' ie: blinking green light shaped like a key on the dash when cranking.
You should also check the fuses and reseat all the relays in the fuse boxes.
I think having too much fuel would not make it hard to start but just making it hard to keep running.
I'm a curious out the loss of power you mentioned. I wonder if the exhaust pipe or the CAT might be constricting the exhaust.
Btw, I don't think that would keep it from starting on it's own but would make it run like crap.

Since the starting fluid makes the engine start briefly it sounds like it's not getting ANY fuel to start.
Acuras (and hondas) famously have a main fuel relay under the dash that can develop bad solder joints and cause starting issues.
Google "PGM-FI main relay - Honda/Acura"
You might also check youtube videos like this one:

Good luck
Old 03-04-2020, 05:11 PM
3rd Gear

I can't remember the codes but I think the exhaust was fine I think he check that. And I did see that component under the steering wheel I saw that video and checked in mine looks good I was just wondering if kinking my sending fuel line a little bit what kind of Mach a good fuel pressure regulator and give me a temporary fix but that would only be if a bad regulator would cause low fuel pressure and yes I agree that the starting fluid letting it start tells me I'm not getting fuel although my injectors are spraying I'm planning on checking it out tomorrow I also have to jump it because my spare key is stuck in my ignition at the on position such a headache but I'd much rather be driving that then walking I had a Geo tracker up until this point kind of embarrassing to drive it can't get no girls in a Geo tracker 4 any body that would have the balls to test that theory LOL I'll save you the trouble. So yeah I just signed up on here today got a hell of a welcome but it's cool to actually be a member here I must say I thought it would take months for people to reply this is awesome it's going to be like the world versus my Acura LOL hopefully we win I might just break down in order a fuel pressure regulator tonight I found one on eBay for $40 looks identical versus $113 at AutoZone fucking commies.....jk
Old 03-04-2020, 09:17 PM
Unregistered Member

Lmfao welcome to AZine, Marc Okubuo.