Knock sensor chewed by a mouse/Mice eating wires/Mouse Ate my TL (merged threads)

Old 07-05-2004, 04:57 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Knock sensor chewed by a mouse/Mice eating wires/Mouse Ate my TL (merged threads)

I just brought my '04 TL in for maintenance and because the check engine light was on. The service guy told me the engine light was on because a mouse chewed "the knock sensor wire." He said this was common in MDX's and older generation TL's. It's going to cost me over $300 to have it replaced. The wire itself is under $20 and the rest is labor.(over 4 hrs) Has anyone heard of this happening before? Does the repair cost sound high? He said he was going to show me the chewed wire.
Old 07-05-2004, 04:59 PM
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
This is common? What kind of rodent infested homes do TL owners live in??? LOL!
Old 07-05-2004, 05:14 PM
Administrator

Received 995 Likes on 569 Posts
The mechanic has to remove the intake manifold, and then remove the fuel rails and the intake runner base, to get to the knock sensor, so the repair cost probably is about right. The labor rate where you live must be near $100 per hour. Wow!

I guess there is not enough of the wire left to just splice it together, or is that too simple a solution?
Old 07-05-2004, 06:35 PM
Instructor

Does anyone think this should be covered under warranty?
Old 07-05-2004, 06:42 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Steveb
Does anyone think this should be covered under warranty?
NO WAY!!!
Old 07-05-2004, 06:43 PM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I had the same thing happen to me ! It happened over the winter. My office parking lot backs up to woods. The rodent must of got up in there to keep warm. My dealer fixed the wire under a one time
"good wiil" , but said it was going to be 300.00 next time if it happens.
So your not alone.................
Old 07-05-2004, 07:57 PM
Team Camel Executive VP

I warned you modders to leave the TL alone.

BJ
Old 07-05-2004, 08:07 PM
7th Gear

I just brought my '04 TL in for maintenance and because the check engine light was on. The service guy told me the engine light was on because a mouse chewed "the knock sensor wire." He said this was common in MDX's and older generation TL's. It's going to cost me over $300 to have it replaced. The wire itself is under $20 and the rest is labor.(over 4 hrs) Has anyone heard of this happening before? Does the repair cost sound high? He said he was going to show me the chewed wire.
I had a mouse that tried to chew through an alternator wire.
My mouse wasn't as lucky as your mouse. . .

Al
Old 07-05-2004, 08:20 PM
never stops!

I had to park my Nissan van out at night once. Next day when we tried to drove it the steering locked while driving and would not let steer. It was fortunate that my wife could stop the van without anybody hitting the van in the street. I got down and when opened the hood, found a big rodent like squirrel ran from the engine compartment and into the grass at the side of the strret.

Had to tow the van to the Nissan dealer and found out that lot of wires and power steering fluid pipes were eaten by the rodent. Costed me $900 to get everything fixed. Have'nt parked my van out since.
Old 07-05-2004, 08:33 PM
Instructor

Sue the Mouse in small claims court. J/k wow sucks damn mouse.
Old 07-05-2004, 08:44 PM
Drifting

Where do you guys live that you get these rodent programs?
Old 07-05-2004, 10:10 PM
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Mobile...

I bet a lot of these TL's are parked outside near shrubbery, etc. (i.e. parking lots that abut a patch of vegetation, etc).
Old 07-05-2004, 10:47 PM
Powered by Guinness

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by boltjames
I warned you modders to leave the TL alone.

BJ
Yeah, you were right on that one. I had a family of hamsters confuse my CAI for a Habitrail and move in.

Sorry, couldn't resist!
Old 07-06-2004, 06:44 AM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mouse?? Yea Right....

Ok, now I have heard it all..The Acura tech is skillful enough to tell that the wire was "chewed by a mouse". By saying this is a common problem, maybe the wire has faulty insulation or other problems that can be blamed on a mouse. Why would a mouse pick that particular wire to chew making this a "common problem"?? Geez..I have owned 30 cars in my lifetime and never had a mouse/rat/gerbil/ferret/squirrel chew anything...The obvious question is how can he prove what happened to the wire??..Maybe he found rat shit in the motor..Short of that, it is a big guess and Acura should pay... I would refuse to pay and complain to everybody at the dealership and Acura
Old 07-06-2004, 04:36 PM
Mmmmmm... Anthracite

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jazzpicker
Ok, now I have heard it all..The Acura tech is skillful enough to tell that the wire was "chewed by a mouse". By saying this is a common problem, maybe the wire has faulty insulation or other problems that can be blamed on a mouse. Why would a mouse pick that particular wire to chew making this a "common problem"?? Geez..I have owned 30 cars in my lifetime and never had a mouse/rat/gerbil/ferret/squirrel chew anything...The obvious question is how can he prove what happened to the wire??..Maybe he found rat shit in the motor..Short of that, it is a big guess and Acura should pay... I would refuse to pay and complain to everybody at the dealership and Acura

I agree that Acura has to prove it was a mouse that chewed through the wire. If they refuse warranty work they have to prove that it was not manufacturer's error.

Example: If I put a CAI on my car and I have a problem with the headlights, and they refuse to work under warranty because I have a CAI. They have to prove the CAI caused the problem or in this case the mouse caused the problem.
Old 07-06-2004, 05:18 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by jazzpicker
there is no way acura should pay. i am an acura tech and have seen quite a few wires chewed by animals. i could tell you if it was chewed by an animal or not. wires from the factory dont come with chew marks in them. the tech probably popped the hood and looked at the knock sensor and saw the harness was all chewed up. if it was a defect from the factory then why wasnt the check engine light on when the car was purchased? the answer is because some sort of animal chewed it.
Old 07-06-2004, 06:58 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Rats...wires...Acura

Originally Posted by nick04tl
there is no way acura should pay. i am an acura tech and have seen quite a few wires chewed by animals. i could tell you if it was chewed by an animal or not. wires from the factory dont come with chew marks in them. the tech probably popped the hood and looked at the knock sensor and saw the harness was all chewed up. if it was a defect from the factory then why wasnt the check engine light on when the car was purchased? the answer is because some sort of animal chewed it.
Nick04TL,
Did you inspect the car in question?? Only one wire damaged and that wire was stated to be commonly damaged in other cars...Do rats/mice/varmits like to chew on that paticular wire???
Your knowledge of animal caused damage might not be as good as you think and unless Acura can prove the problem was caused by a critter, Acrua should pay
Bottom line, it's a big guess with the poor customer on the losing end of the deal as usual......
Old 07-06-2004, 07:29 PM
Team Camel Executive VP

Originally Posted by Aegir
Yeah, you were right on that one. I had a family of hamsters confuse my CAI for a Habitrail and move in.
Finally, someone responded to my joke. It was a good one; went over too many heads I guess.

BJ
Old 08-22-2004, 11:52 AM
3rd Gear

Mice eating wires

I just paid $397.84 to have my knock sensor cable replaced! The cable cost $5.66, labor was $360! The service tech told me the outer cable is made from a soy based product and rats, mice, etc. love to chew on them. According to him this is happening all over the country. Has anyone else heard of this? The replacement cable is the same as the original, soooo, I may be in for a similar bill every few months.
Old 08-22-2004, 11:57 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
I just cannot believe it would happen...

You ain't alone... check this.

http://www.acura-tl.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86162
Old 08-22-2004, 12:36 PM
Administrator

So far, only two people have replied with this problem, but who knows how many others out there, who are not members of this forum, had the same thing happen to them.

If it is true that the wires are made of something that rats find good to eat, then maybe Acura should consider warrantying this repair, and also either making the wires of something else or putting them in a protective outer cover.

This may be the only wire made in this way, which is why it is the only one that is being chewed upon by animals.

I would definitely contact Acura Customer Services, armed with the knowledge that the tech told you the wire is made from soy-based materials, and fight for a reimbursement. Can't hurt.
Old 08-22-2004, 01:36 PM
Racer

Maybe we should point this thread out to all the guys complaining about cats hanging around their cars!! It could be that they're after the mice!

Ed, maybe you should buy a live mousetrap and remove the little pest - humanely, of course. I once spent a month "relocating" some mice from my in-laws garage to a field about 5 miles away. They thought I was nuts, but they're so cute!

Or maybe you could put down some kind of repellent. If they're nibbling on the TL, they could be nibbling on other stuff too!
Old 08-22-2004, 07:52 PM
Instructor

I had this on my 2000 323i. They said an animal chewed through the cable for the outside temp guage.
Old 08-22-2004, 08:03 PM
WDP Director of R & D

Originally Posted by Ed Moore
I just paid $397.84 to have my knock sensor cable replaced! The cable cost $5.66, labor was $360! The service tech told me the outer cable is made from a soy based product and rats, mice, etc. love to chew on them. According to him this is happening all over the country. Has anyone else heard of this? The replacement cable is the same as the original, soooo, I may be in for a similar bill every few months.
What indication did you experience that led you to the dealer and them finding the above? Did your TL actually start knocking or overall running poorly? Given your cost, the cable replacement must list at 4-5 hours of labor. They must have had to remove the intake manifold or something (then again its obviously somewhere that the critters can get to it..). Sounds like if one lives or parks their vehicle where this can/or did occur they need to find a way to place a non-desirable "sheath" on this cable...

Damn the luck - time to leave the cat in the garage....
Old 09-09-2004, 01:51 PM
8th Gear

Knock Sensor 2004 TL

I have the same alleged problem. twice in two days. The cost to repair was $600. In contact with corp office about problem. Interested in info from anyone who has same problem
Old 09-09-2004, 02:07 PM
Instructor

yea, my knock sensor ate by mouse too..cost me $395 to repair it. I wonder how is those knock sensor taste? Doesn't any one want to take off ur sensor and try it?
Old 09-09-2004, 02:22 PM
Advanced

Oh come on, Acura should take care of this under warranty for using "cheesy wiring"
Old 09-09-2004, 02:35 PM
loves his TL!

Originally Posted by Alfred
I had a mouse that tried to chew through an alternator wire.
My mouse wasn't as lucky as your mouse. . .

Al
Old 09-09-2004, 02:45 PM
loves his TL!

thought id share this here ...

not so long ago my uncle was driving down a rural road when he needed to slow down on through a railroad crossing. so he depresses the brake pedal but much to his surprise, nothing happened!! so he flies through the railroad crossing ... quick thinking, he downshifted, and engine braked until he coasted to a stop. it turned out that one of his brake lines were chewed out by some critter!!

these wires and lines must taste like chocolate!!
Old 09-09-2004, 02:51 PM