My Bluetooth HandFree Link (HFL) Has stopped Working

Old 01-24-2011, 07:51 AM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Bluetooth HandFree Link (HFL) Has stopped Working

Hi Guys,

I have 2009 Acura TSX Premium. I noticed that that my HFL buttons on my steering wheel don't work anymore & bluetooth has stopped working. The only thing that has changed is that a couple of weeks back I had a box and amp hooked up to the stock system.

Everything works except for the HFL and Bluetooth so I don't think that the stereo hookup is the cause ... however they did have to disconnect the battery and I am kind of wondering if bluetooth needs to be reset after battery disconnect?

I checked the owner's manual and I did not see a fuse specifically for Bluetooth & HFL. I googled this and some people mentioned they had their HFL stuck with "booting" message in the console display ... I do not see any booting message with mine. When I press the HFL buttons in the steering wheel I get nothing ... no voice prompts no beeps ... nothing. Some people also mention pulling fuse 7 & 10 for 10 secs and putting them back in .. supposedly will reset\reboot the bluetooth.

does any one else have this problem or know how to fix this problem ?

thnx,

E
Old 01-27-2011, 11:56 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by E-ManN
Hi Guys,

I have 2009 Acura TSX Premium. I noticed that that my HFL buttons on my steering wheel don't work anymore & bluetooth has stopped working. The only thing that has changed is that a couple of weeks back I had a box and amp hooked up to the stock system.

Everything works except for the HFL and Bluetooth so I don't think that the stereo hookup is the cause ... however they did have to disconnect the battery and I am kind of wondering if bluetooth needs to be reset after battery disconnect?

I checked the owner's manual and I did not see a fuse specifically for Bluetooth & HFL. I googled this and some people mentioned they had their HFL stuck with "booting" message in the console display ... I do not see any booting message with mine. When I press the HFL buttons in the steering wheel I get nothing ... no voice prompts no beeps ... nothing. Some people also mention pulling fuse 7 & 10 for 10 secs and putting them back in .. supposedly will reset\reboot the bluetooth.

thnx,

E
Does audio come out of all the speakers? This happend to me but it was becuase there was a loose speaker wire in the front door speaker that I installed. Once I reconnected it, the bluetooth worked again. It was really weird.
Old 02-01-2011, 09:01 AM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by E-ManN
Hi Guys,

thnx,

E
I had this problem and ended up having to get the unit replaced. I don't remember it saying "booting" either. It actually happened again but fixed itself.
Old 02-11-2011, 05:38 AM
Advanced

@ james_and7

Originally Posted by james_and7
Does audio come out of all the speakers? This happend to me but it was becuase there was a loose speaker wire in the front door speaker that I installed. Once I reconnected it, the bluetooth worked again. It was really weird.

Thanks for your reply James_and7 ... All speakers work. As far as I know they did not have to touch the front speakers. I still think all this needs is a master reset/reboot of which the dealer will not tell how to do. The dealer wants me to bring the car in for a diagnostics $$$$$$.

It is odd that there is no fuse for bluetooth handsfree and they will not tell you which fuse it is connected to so you can check for yourself. I googled this and this problem was noted on earlier generation TSX could be corrected by pulling then re-inserting Fuse #6 (interior lights according to 2006 TSX manual) inside the fuse panel under the driver's side steering wheel. On the 2009 TSX this fuse is located on passenger side kick panel. I will try the pull and re-insert when it warms up ... it's too cold outside right now to do this. -25 yikes !

thanks again 4 your reply guys ... please keep them coming.
Old 02-11-2011, 05:56 AM
Advanced

@ Av8n4life

Originally Posted by Av8n4life
I had this problem and ended up having to get the unit replaced. I don't remember it saying "booting" either. It actually happened again but fixed itself.
thanks for your reply Av8n4life,

I hope it does not come to this. I have found\googled numerous post relating\similar on acura\honda HFL bluetooth problems on TSX & MDX etc ... Some say replace the unit, some say reset. I know honda\Acura has a bunch of shortcut tricks to reset certain ECUs and features without having to discconnect the battery by pulling out certain fuses which you would never guess is related to the problem waiting 5 mins or so and re-inserting without having to disconnect the battery to reset\reboot systems or onboard computers.

I don't mind bringing the car in to get it diagnosed if I have checked what I can, the BASICS ! ... I just hate the fact that the dealer wants you to bring the car in and leave it with them for a day for what could be a simple check. This is a inconvenience.

thanks again for your reply Av8n4life.

E
Old 02-11-2011, 01:36 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I believe the HFL hardware can be accessed through the glove compartment. Remove that shelf and you will see a cover you can remove. Try looking for a hard reset button there.

Regardless, this should all be covered under warranty should it not?
Old 02-11-2011, 05:03 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 82 Likes on 71 Posts
There may be a fault with the HFL switch on the steering wheel.

Two fuses power the HFL in your car, fuse #15 under hood (10A) backup which gives it constant power (for radio and phone memory), and fuse #18 (7.5A) Accessory driver's side fuse box. Removing either of them would probably require radio code to be re-input again (make sure you have them handy).
Old 02-11-2011, 06:35 PM
Op is too busy to care

Received 913 Likes on 540 Posts
Originally Posted by 09TSXTech

Two fuses power the HFL in your car, fuse #15 under hood (10A) backup which gives it constant power (for radio and phone memory), and fuse #18 (7.5A) Accessory driver's side fuse box. Removing either of them would probably require radio code to be re-input again (make sure you have them handy).

the most helpful man on the acura boards !
Old 02-25-2011, 07:35 AM
Advanced

thanks guys

Sorry for such a late relpy guys ... been away dealing with insurance ... yes somebody side swiped my baby in my friend's driveway ... WTF !!?? long story. Damage is mostly comestic but the whole passenger side needs to be repainted.

NeverTheLess, thanks James, 09TSX & all my other brothers & sisters on this forum ... Will try your suggestions and let you know how it works out.
Old 04-13-2011, 08:11 AM
Advanced

Update

Hi Guys,

09TSXTech I finally got a chance to try some of your suggestions. I pulled fuse #15 under hood (10A) backup , and checked it. Looked good, put it back in after about 30 Seconds. As you suspected Radio code had to be ren-enterd ... after that clock, All radio settings (bass,treble,fade etc), memory presets were still saved & Climate control settings as well. Had to resave my Seat position ... no big deal because I did not move the seat ... all I had to do was hit the save button again. Key fobs are OK as well (Driver #1, Driver #2)

Bluetooth still will not work and has the same problem.

I will try fuse #18 (7.5A) Accessory driver's side fuse box next ... failing that a maybe a complete battery disconnect ... failing that I will be satisfied and bring into the dealer.

thanks all ... Will keep you all posted.
Old 06-19-2011, 09:25 PM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,914 Likes on 14,457 Posts
What was the outcome finally? I'm curious!
and having a problem, myself!
Old 04-26-2012, 10:22 AM
Dedicated Member

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Having the same problem. I know this is a old posts but what was the outcome?
Old 05-07-2012, 02:34 PM
10th Gear

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Hfl issue

I just replaced my broken HFL. Car battery was dying after 3 days of sitting, HFL was stuck in boot, alarm system and HUD were in complete disarray. Replaced the HFL from acuraoemparts.com and followed the service bulletin for the installation, 4 days later...all systems normal.

See my DYI/reflection here: https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...8#post13758568
Old 05-15-2012, 12:33 PM
Advanced

Wow

Originally Posted by Djr587
I just replaced my broken HFL. Car battery was dying after 3 days of sitting, HFL was stuck in boot, alarm system and HUD were in complete disarray. Replaced the HFL from acuraoemparts.com and followed the service bulletin for the installation, 4 days later...all systems normal.

See my DYI/reflection here: https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...8#post13758568

from AcuraOEMParts.com ...

39770-TL2-A01 HFT UNIT (BLUETOOTH) 2009 TSX $1026.80 $770.06

Looks like the price has gone up ... list price is $10126.80 and their price (AcuraOEMParts) is $770.06

freaking rediculous ! for a bluettoth unit which is crap tp begin with. I'll continue to use my Speakerphone !!
Old 07-21-2012, 12:08 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 88 Posts
Wow that's pricey. I had trouble with mine yesterday. I was hitting "ok" on the Nav 10x while it was booting---stupid thing to do. It must have ruined my profile. I wouldn't connect to any phone or show my phone as one of the choices. After 2 restarts I was able to pair my phone.

Last edited by musty hustla; 07-21-2012 at 12:10 PM.
Old 08-08-2012, 10:04 PM
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
I just picked my car up from the dealership today as it was getting some dents fixed and low and behold my damn HFL is acting up also. I'm getting a high pitched screeching noise anytime I switch to bluetooth audio or HFL. I'll have to schedule an appointment to get it looked at.
Old 07-18-2014, 06:58 AM
6th Gear

I've been having a problem with my Handfree link as well. I use my voice commands "setup" "phone" etc and it just goes back to the main menu. Once I actually go it to start searching for my phone and it say "phone not found." It was working one day and the next just went out. However, long story short I just got a bluetooth for from my cellular company.
Old 09-26-2015, 12:41 AM
Drifting

Received 166 Likes on 146 Posts
acura bluetooth has sucked for many years. I am surprised they didnt fix it with the newer model. But Even when it worked the voice quality was bad. using the mic.
Old 09-26-2015, 06:00 AM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Well, my short experience with my 2014 TL is that HFL works seamlessly with my Galaxy III. I did have some issues with my 04 TL however, losing synch, not synching right away etc.
Old 09-26-2015, 08:26 AM
Drifting

Received 166 Likes on 146 Posts
And your car is less than 2 yrs old...
Old 12-29-2015, 07:29 PM
1st Gear

Hi All I am new to this site, I was doing an online search as to why the HFL quit working in my wifes car. You guys have helped me a ton by figuring out how to "bake" the HFL. I did just as was directed and RIGHT away the darn thing started working again. My wife lives in her car and this feature is worth having. I am just glad I didn't have to spend 300.00 to buy a new one. I hope this works long term and if not I'll just try to BAKE IT again!!

Thanks and my hats off to yall for sharing this info. Think Ill hang around and see what else I can find to fix.
Old 10-05-2016, 01:50 PM
1st Gear

No HFL

Hi. Just bought a nice 2009 TL. Love the car but HFL stopped working. Was loving the features but nothing shows up on screen for Bluetooth even though phone says connected. Both HFL buttons on steering wheel are dead. Anyone have luck with fuse or hard resets of any kind. I see above post you had luck on how to "bake" it. What do you mean?
Thanks everyone. I don't mind doing some DIY stuff if not overly complex. Even replace the unit if I can find a reasonable price. Does not sound like that exists. Lol
Old 01-26-2024, 03:58 PM
10th Gear

Hello,

I’ve got a 2007 Acura RDX and the HFL has never worked. I replaced the HFL module with a known working one but it’s still not doing anything. Do you know how to test the button or any other components that could be causing this?

Thank you in advance!