Tighten Fuel Cap - ?

Old 04-03-2006, 05:03 PM
06 Antracite/Ebony 6MT

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Tighten Fuel Cap - ?

Just bought my 06 TL on Friday (woo!) and drove it to work on Sunday. About 1 mile from work, the "TIGHTEN FUEL CAP" light came on the MID. So, I pulled over a few miles up, turned off the car, tightened the fuel cap and restarted. "TIGHTEN FUEL CAP". Hmm, checked the manual and followed it. No luck. Anyone have any advice for this? Its an 06 TL 6MT and was not being driven hard. Thanks!
Old 04-03-2006, 06:41 PM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Received 205 Likes on 128 Posts
hmmm my advice would be dealer. I mean it happened two days after you picked it up.
Old 04-03-2006, 06:56 PM
Racer

The warning I got was "check fuel cap". There was no difference in the car that I could detect after retightening the cap so I just kept driving. I filled up the tank and the warning went off a few days later. It's been a month now and no problems since.
Old 04-03-2006, 09:47 PM
LeftFoot, RightHand Happy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Happened to me just recently on the first warm day this spring, and I followed the manual, and went away on next start-up. I assumed the warm weather caused some extra pressure buildup or something...
Old 04-03-2006, 10:22 PM
Currently at 50,546 miles

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had it happen with a large temperature change... if it hasn't happened again, I wouldn't worry.
Old 04-04-2006, 10:13 AM
06 Antracite/Ebony 6MT

Problem is that it hasn't cleared yet. Haven't drove it since but have cranked it once or twice. Talked to the dealer/service yesterday and they'll look at it later this week. Said it was a non-issue, just needed to be reset. Haven't re-fueled it so far. Still on the original tank of gas.
Old 04-04-2006, 11:23 AM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
Originally Posted by tnmg
Problem is that it hasn't cleared yet. Haven't drove it since but have cranked it once or twice. Talked to the dealer/service yesterday and they'll look at it later this week. Said it was a non-issue, just needed to be reset. Haven't re-fueled it so far. Still on the original tank of gas.
I'd give it another day or so, maybe put more gas into the tank and drive a little ways. If its still on then take it down to the dealer. There have been some other members with the same light coming on and a little driving took care of it.
Old 04-04-2006, 04:16 PM
Intermediate

Make sure you crank it past at least three "clicks."
Old 04-04-2006, 04:49 PM
Burning Brakes

I'm pretty sure if you get the light because your system detects a loose cap (bad for environment), and you get a light in the dash..... if you correct the situation the light will not immediately go out. It will take some time for that error condition to purge from the ECU.

All they did is improve the system a little bit... on most OBD2 cars that situation will just trip the "check engine" light on the dash. Acura improved the system, and for that same trouble code it's able to trip a little more informative light on the dash for the given situation. Like I said, I'm 99% sure it takes several drive cycles to purge this error condition from the system (just like any other CEL light condition), so just give it some time.
Old 04-05-2006, 10:09 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by HiTEC
I'm pretty sure if you get the light because your system detects a loose cap (bad for environment), and you get a light in the dash..... if you correct the situation the light will not immediately go out. It will take some time for that error condition to purge from the ECU.

All they did is improve the system a little bit... on most OBD2 cars that situation will just trip the "check engine" light on the dash. Acura improved the system, and for that same trouble code it's able to trip a little more informative light on the dash for the given situation. Like I said, I'm 99% sure it takes several drive cycles to purge this error condition from the system (just like any other CEL light condition), so just give it some time.
tnmg ... I picked up my 06 on 3/31, and after getting the car back from the shop yesterday, I've gotten the same message. I had ~160 miles on the odometer when the light tripped. I happened to be right down the road from the dealer, swung by there, and he's told me the same info you're hearing ... give it a couple days, and the code will clear itself. I did gas up after that trip (had about 1/4 tank remaining), but so far the light is still on. We'll see how long before it goes out.
Old 04-06-2006, 07:19 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Rocket_Cowboy
tnmg ... I picked up my 06 on 3/31, and after getting the car back from the shop yesterday, I've gotten the same message. I had ~160 miles on the odometer when the light tripped. I happened to be right down the road from the dealer, swung by there, and he's told me the same info you're hearing ... give it a couple days, and the code will clear itself. I did gas up after that trip (had about 1/4 tank remaining), but so far the light is still on. We'll see how long before it goes out.

In the ODB2 world it takes a certain number of engine run cycles to clear the codes. You can't just start and stop the engine either. There are certain parameters that must be met to what is considered a cycle. It usually involves the engine being cold and then being driven to a full warm up cycle. Depending on how much you drive it may take up to two weeks. Just make sure in the future you get the cap tight.
Old 04-06-2006, 10:50 AM
06 Antracite/Ebony 6MT

Originally Posted by Rocket_Cowboy
Wow, this is like Bizarro World. I picked up mine on 3/31 too and had right around 160 miles. Thanks for update. I've driven her two or three times since and light hasn't cleared and haven't had to refill yet. Was still on the first tank. I also read one of the Acura ServiceNews Bulletin (Nov. 2005) here that addresses the problem if it doesn't go away. There is a sticky on the 3GTL page with all of them. Interesting reading. Here's a link:

http://www.in.honda.com/Rjanisis/pubs/SN/B051100.PDF

Maybe I just need to drive her some more
Old 04-06-2006, 10:56 AM
06 Antracite/Ebony 6MT

RocketCowboy, your new Tl isn't a Antracite/ebony 6MT with navi is it?
Old 04-06-2006, 03:32 PM
06 Antracite/Ebony 6MT

And now its gone. Went out today after about 3 miles of driving.
Old 04-06-2006, 07:21 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by tnmg
RocketCowboy, your new Tl isn't a Antracite/ebony 6MT with navi is it?
Sure is, why?
Old 04-06-2006, 07:36 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
I recently...just the other day...left the cap off at fillup like a total geek (was embarassed as all heck cause I get a real laugh seeing people drive like that historically) and luckily some lady honked at me as I went around the corner and I stopped and put it on.....dont remember the light ever even coming on or staying on? Damn...must have been on cloud nine that night! Geez....damn man...I am an old man now, arent I....its official...break out the loafers and beaded seat covers! lol :killer:
Old 04-06-2006, 08:38 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 89 Likes on 52 Posts
Same thing happened to me in my Accord ’06. I got message “check fuel cap” after about putting 150 miles since the last fillup. I checked the cap, made sure it click 2-3 times and drove another 100 miles (2-3 days) and the message cleared up.

My manual says that it takes some times to trigger the message as well as to clear it, so if you do not drive a lot it might take few days – for some it might be just a matter of a day or so.
Next thing is, if there was a defect etc, the check engine light might follow up.
Old 04-09-2006, 02:30 AM
I make Boom Boom in

The same thing happened to me on Friday. I took it to the dealer and the dealer said that it was the gas cap seal and the "Please check gas cap" light will go off in 1-100 miles or so. If your check engine light comes on then you need to take it into the dealer. The warning went away sometime Saturday. Maybe it's a temp thing with the gas fumes?

Mine was an 05 and have it for just over a year and this is the first time something like that has happened to me.
Old 04-10-2006, 12:14 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by txathlete
The same thing happened to me on Friday. I took it to the dealer and the dealer said that it was the gas cap seal and the "Please check gas cap" light will go off in 1-100 miles or so. If your check engine light comes on then you need to take it into the dealer. The warning went away sometime Saturday. Maybe it's a temp thing with the gas fumes?

Mine was an 05 and have it for just over a year and this is the first time something like that has happened to me.
Well ... here I am, at the dealer getting the system checked out. I now have 408 miles on the car, and this morning on the way into the office the tighten fuel cap message was replaced with the check engine light.

Unlike others who have had their message clear, it looks like mine is possibly something else. Hopefully it's an easy fix, and not a sign of things to come.
Old 04-11-2006, 09:10 AM
Cruisin'

Well ... they ran a test on the evap system, and everything checks out. No idea why the original message came up, or why it was still there to trigger the check engine code.

For now, we've just reset the codes and will wait and see if it comes up again.
Old 04-27-2006, 04:18 PM
"HMS Ruby"

My "Check Fuel Cap" light came on a week ago. We always click the cap 3 times when we fill up so I don't know what could have caused it. We took the cap off and replaced it, the light has still not gone out. ?? It also has not changed over to the "Check Engine Light".

If I take it to the dealer will they charge me to reset it? (Assuming there isn't anything really wrong with my fuel cap or system?) Argh, I hate taking an hour or so out of my day for something like this.
Old 04-30-2006, 11:19 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by ResearchFreak
My "Check Fuel Cap" light came on a week ago. We always click the cap 3 times when we fill up so I don't know what could have caused it. We took the cap off and replaced it, the light has still not gone out. ?? It also has not changed over to the "Check Engine Light".

If I take it to the dealer will they charge me to reset it? (Assuming there isn't anything really wrong with my fuel cap or system?) Argh, I hate taking an hour or so out of my day for something like this.
They shouldn't charge you to reset the codes. Even if no problem is found, obviously something set it off the first time.

FYI ... mine is going back tomorrow morning. I seem to be having chronic problems with this issue, and it always results in a check engine light. But only when I'm city driving. I can run tank after tank after tank through it on the highway ... no problem. As soon as I do a tank in city driving, I get the "tighten fuel cap" error.
Old 05-01-2006, 06:52 PM
"HMS Ruby"

Well, the light finally went out! It was on for 10 days. When I drove on the freeway for 20 minutes, it went away. I guess I don't do enough freeway driving. The manual says it should only take a minute of two of driving at 45 MPH. I guess my car is just tempermental! I hope your problems get worked out Rocket Cowboy!
Old 05-02-2006, 05:59 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by ResearchFreak
Well, the light finally went out! It was on for 10 days. When I drove on the freeway for 20 minutes, it went away. I guess I don't do enough freeway driving. The manual says it should only take a minute of two of driving at 45 MPH. I guess my car is just tempermental! I hope your problems get worked out Rocket Cowboy!
Thanks ResearchFreak.

Dealer called today, and we found the source of the problem. The evap canister (charcoal canister that filters evap fumes) was defective from the factory. It's being replaced, and should cure my ills.

Since this has been a day one problem for the car (I got the tighten fuel cap message on my first tank of gas, and on subsequent tanks), it makes sense. We'll see how she does when I get her back tomorrow.

Driving this loaner TSX, I definitely miss my TL.
Old 05-07-2006, 02:47 AM
06 Antracite/Ebony 6MT

Wow, its taken them awhile. How long have you been with a TSX?? :P