Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheel speed sensor- service manual please 3G Garage #D-034

Old 12-26-2004, 08:33 PM
ITL
I do my own work.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wheel speed sensor- service manual please 3G Garage #D-034

Would someone please post the pages out of the service manual that regard to wheel speed sensor?

DETAILS:
I believe I may have killed my front passenger speed sensor in an icy curb collision during the Christmas holidays snowstorm Looks like this may be a project for the New Year's weekend...

My ABS, VSA, and VSA indicator lights came on two days later after the thaw. This is about the only problem I can think of regarding these indicator lights. I reset the ECU and the lights cleared, only to come on again as soon as I pulled out of the driveway
Old 12-26-2004, 09:44 PM
Administrator

Received 995 Likes on 569 Posts
Here's the two pages that show the speed sensor. Hope this helps.

The following users liked this post:
jahsh (12-03-2015)
Old 12-26-2004, 10:08 PM
ITL
I do my own work.

Well, I took the wheel off and pulled out the wheel sensor. It looked fine and wasn't cracked or damaged. I'm not really sure how to get access to the pulser without pulling off the rotor (are they pressed on?)

Even though it shows no external damage, how else could this sensor be damaged? I'm not sure if it needs to be replaced or not, but I still get the 3 indicator lights on my dash, even after disconnecting the battery for a few minutes.

Pics of the wheel sensor:

Old 12-26-2004, 10:23 PM
Administrator

Received 995 Likes on 569 Posts
Looks like a job for the experts at the service department. Could be a lot of things, most of which need a special tester or someone who knows what to look for.
Old 12-27-2004, 07:47 AM
Team Owner

Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts
Are you sure it is a wheel speed sensor? Did you scan the code? I went over a rough joint in a bridge and had the same thing happen: all 3 lights. I also immediately thought it was a wheel speed sensor. It ended up being the primary O2 sensor getting damaged.
Old 12-27-2004, 08:23 AM
ITL
I do my own work.

Thanks Steve. Headed for work this morning, jumped in the car and all the lights were clear! Gonna just keep an eye on it and get the alignment checked soon.

BTW, In my 96 Accord, I could pull the code by jumping the OBDII port with a paperclip or short piece of wire and counting the number of times the CEL blinked. This way I didn't have to buy a scanner. Any way to do this with the TL?
Old 12-27-2004, 08:24 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts
You can get the code scanned at Autozone for free... I believe they do OBDII scans... see what error you are getting. Hopefully you can avoid the service dept if possible
Old 12-27-2004, 09:02 AM
ITL
I do my own work.

Originally Posted by cTLgo
Hopefully you can avoid the service dept if possible
No doubt.

Thanks for the Auto Zone tip.
Old 12-27-2004, 10:09 AM
Team Owner

Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts
Originally Posted by ITL
BTW, In my 96 Accord, I could pull the code by jumping the OBDII port with a paperclip or short piece of wire and counting the number of times the CEL blinked. This way I didn't have to buy a scanner. Any way to do this with the TL?
You should be able to. Although if you have more than one code (like I did) it will be difficult to count.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...=OBD+paperclip
Old 01-03-2005, 10:13 AM
ITL
I do my own work.

Well, turns out my right REAR speed sensor was bad...

This is strange b/c I hit the front right wheel, not the rear. They said the rear right was going bad then finally went out. But my question is, if this were the case, then why are the lights not on on my dash anymore? They just quit one day and haven't come back since.

I have an appointment for Wednesday morning and will have to miss a half day of work for this. If the sensor had gone bad, would the codes not continue to be thrown and the lights still come on?
Old 01-03-2005, 10:32 AM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey ITL, looking forward to tonight's game!
Old 01-03-2005, 11:03 AM
ITL
I do my own work.

Originally Posted by VTHokieTL
Hey ITL, looking forward to tonight's game!

No doubt! I hope to see a really good game! Best of luck to ya. War Eagle!
Old 01-03-2005, 11:33 AM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts
One of the many reasons that I purchased an Acura is because of the 5/50 warranty.

1. Why not let the supposed experts earn their money?

2. Why practice on you car, especially when you don't know what you are doing?

3. Why miss a days work, can't you arrange a loner?

To each his/her own, just curious.
Old 01-03-2005, 11:51 AM
ITL
I do my own work.

Originally Posted by MR1
One of the many reasons that I purchased an Acura is because of the 5/50 warranty.

1. Why not let the supposed experts earn their money?

2. Why practice on you car, especially when you don't know what you are doing?

3. Why miss a days work, can't you arrange a loner?

To each his/her own, just curious.
1. Since I hit a curb during a snowstorm on icy roads, they may not justify this as warranty work; although the problem was with the rear and I hit the front. I have absolutely no problem putting warranty work on Acura's tab. Any regular maintenance I pick up myself for several of my own reasons that I have positively justified to myself.

2. Practice? I never said I wasn't knowledgable, I just haven't had the time in the last week to pull the codes myself. Also, Acura offered a free diagnosis which I took them up on. I'll be going in Wednesday morning. If they deem the service warranty work, they'll have my car. If not, I'll buy the $22 rear speed sensor, forego the $65/hr labor charge, and replace it myself.

3. They didn't offer a loaner as an option; though they did offer to give me a ride (limited on distance though and wouldn't quite get me to work.)

What I'm curious about now is why the lights are not being displayed anymore on my dash if the sensor is supposedly bad.
Old 02-08-2008, 01:56 PM
4th Gear

I think I have a similar problem-- did you end up replacing the speed sensor yourself? or does anybody else do their own?

The dealership quoted me 33 bucks for part and another 350 or so for labor (i have two that needs replace)...

from the diagrams, it looks pretty straight forward?

Thanks for any feedback,

Siao
Old 02-09-2008, 06:10 PM
Under your Acura...

well you can disconnect the sensor in the rear, at the fenderwell before it goes into the body it self.

you can hook up a graphing meter, or voltmeter and set it to AC volts. This is a permanent magnent type sensor in the rear and as the reluctor ring spins, the sensor generates its own voltage from the magnetic field it creates.. anyway..

connect the leads to pin 1 and 2 of the speed sensor side connector, and spin the wheel, you will see voltage , in ac current. if you do not seee voltage or voltage is irratic, replace the sensor.

i had a 04 tl this week, setting a right rear wss code. i did the above test and found i was getting a signal. so i went to the vsa modulator, disconnected the harness, tested for continuity to ground ( testing for short to ground) on pins 5 and 6. i found that pin 5 was shorted to ground, therefore the signal was not getting to the vsa mod.

i went to the MICU, (driver side fuse box), and disconned connector H and F, retested for short, short was gone, so the problem was after the micu.

ripped up the rear seats, to access the rubber grommet where the wire does through the body, found the grn/yel wire split open and shorted the body.

acura runs such short amounts of wire to things, it was stretched to be able to attach the outside fenderwell connector to the body, that it rubbed through the tape and loom, and shorted the wire to ground.

i repaired the connection and called it a day.

this might have happened to you
Old 02-10-2008, 11:24 AM
4th Gear

Thanks tech7427,

I'll give those diagnosis steps a try too...

When I took it into the dealership today, they told me I needed my front two replaced but that the parts were on order... they wanted to charge me ~400 for labor!

I'm going to check it out once the parts come in and see if I can scope the situation,

Thanks again for your feedback tech,

If anyone else has any experiences replacing these speed sensor, any feedback would be greatly appreciated as well~

Siao
Old 05-15-2015, 12:24 AM
1st Gear

2005 acura tl abs light on

I have a 2005 acura tl . The abs light is on . I checked it with scanner it gave me a code for front right abs speed sensor malfunction. I replaced the sensor and cleared dtc. After pulling out ny driveway the abs light cane back on. Does any one have a idea on how to check new sensor. Or a wiring diagram. To the abs module. Thanks
Old 05-15-2015, 08:43 AM
Registered Bunny

Received 1,073 Likes on 892 Posts
Originally Posted by tonygon.
I have a 2005 acura tl . The abs light is on . I checked it with scanner it gave me a code for front right abs speed sensor malfunction. I replaced the sensor and cleared dtc. After pulling out ny driveway the abs light cane back on. Does any one have a idea on how to check new sensor. Or a wiring diagram. To the abs module. Thanks
Here's the SM scans if there's no DTC as well as the wiring diagram. Do you still have a DTC, and if so, what's the code?