Low tire pressure in Nitro filled tires

Old 10-15-2010, 07:57 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Low tire pressure in Nitro filled tires

I have an '08 TL that my wife and I bought a couple of months ago and I love it! BUT... Since it has been getting cold at night every morning the Low tire pressure warning light is on and read 4-5 psi low. The tires are supposedly filled with nitrogen according to the dealership. My understanding is that with nitrogen filled tires they should not lose pressure like this. I know its not a leak because the pressure goes back to normal after the tires warm up a little. Any ideas on why this is happening or if it is actually normal with nitrogen?
Old 10-15-2010, 08:46 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,102 Likes on 763 Posts
Originally Posted by TL Jonesy
... Since it has been getting cold at night every morning the Low tire pressure warning light is on and read 4-5 psi low. The tires are supposedly filled with nitrogen according to the dealership.
...Any ideas on why this is happening or if it is actually normal with nitrogen?
1) Put some air in your tires when they are still cold-- at least to factory recommendations if not higher. Don't trust the gauge on the air pump, either-- use your own gauge or the TPMS.

2) Air is affected by temperatures more than pure nitrogen. Unless the dealership vacuumed out all the air from the tires before putting in nitrogen, the tires will have mostly air in them, topped off with nitrogen.
Air = 78% nitrogen, by the way, so I wouldn't pay for nitrogen/Nitrofill, etc.

Welcome to AZ.
Old 10-15-2010, 10:48 PM
4th Gear

So is it ok to mix them like that? I mean I wouldn't think it would do any harm just want to make sure. Also, the tires were brand new and put on by the dealership. I just don't understand why it is fluctuating so much if they are in fact filled with nitro.
Old 10-16-2010, 12:01 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,811 Likes on 1,282 Posts
You fell for the nitrogen scam.

It makes no difference in fluctuation the way it's used in street cars. I tried it just to say I told you so and I saw the exact same fluctuation from cold to hot. Just add some air to your tires and you're good to go. Of course you can mix, as it was said, air is mostly nitrogen.
Old 10-16-2010, 04:39 PM
4th Gear

I didn't fallfor a scam... they were already "nitrogen filled" when I test drove the car so when we bought it they had nitrogen.
Old 10-16-2010, 08:44 PM
Make it so

Received 58 Likes on 46 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by TL Jonesy
I didn't fallfor a scam... they were already "nitrogen filled" when I test drove the car so when we bought it they had nitrogen.
Regardless, you can just top them off at an air pump to get to the proper tire pressure. That whole thing IS a waste of money, so as long as you don't fall for it again or paid for it the first time, you're good.