Acuralink data connection and iPhone

Old 12-10-2008, 01:50 AM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Acuralink data connection and iPhone

I have the original iPhone (non-3G) and want to use it to connect to Acuralink for data exchange. I can't get it recognized by my 2009 TL. I've tried all 3 of the AT&T options and none of them works. Is there a specific or custom initialization string I need to use? I know the iPhone has an unlimited data exchange. Thanks.
Old 12-10-2008, 08:47 AM
4th Gear

The iPhone (3G and non-3G) does not work with the Acura Data Link. If you check Acura's handsfreelink link you will see that all the features of the iPhone except Acura Data Link and Bluetooth Audio are supported.
Old 12-10-2008, 09:19 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm using the 3G iPhone every day with the USB cable? The only issue I've had as it OCCASIONALLY doesn't recognize it. It's happened three times so far. I have to turn off the car, then restart and it then works. I've also been able to listen to the iPod portion of the phone, then switch to make or receive a phone call. Initially, the iPhone prompts you with a message stating that you will not be able to utilize the phone, but it works for me. The importing of my iPhone address book works as well, but I get a message stating the iPhone has too much information and not all could be transfered, I wonder if that's because I have pictures and ringtones assigned to those numbers? That would be cool if they would pop up in the display!

Last edited by bmode; 12-10-2008 at 09:22 PM.
Old 12-10-2008, 09:37 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
well that answers my question about acura link - I was trying w/ an iPhone
address book import is a big step up from the 3G - no import
dont really need blue tooth audio if you plug the phone in the USB con

so does anyone have any exper w/ the acura link - sending data up ? what do I miss out on w/o it?
Old 12-11-2008, 04:54 AM
Three Wheelin'

I'm kind of confused here. AcuraLink works in Nav systems only and works through XM radio, it provides operating tips, messages from Acura, maintenance reminders, possible vehicle issues. What data exchange can you do with an iPhone using AcuraLink? I'm missing something here as I thought AcuraLink was independent of the phone features?
Old 12-11-2008, 02:59 PM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
AcuraLink will not work with the iPhone since the iPhone does not support tethering through blue-tooth (AT&T restriction). I had a motorola Krzr phone that I used for tethering for the instances where I wanted to use the AcuraLink - and it worked well for the basic messaging.

The 3G TL also has phone import - which does work well from the iPhone (use it often). Does the 4G TL have 3 distinctly different places to store phone numbers? (handsfree, imported phonebook & navi)
Old 12-11-2008, 04:24 PM
Three Wheelin'

Again, to repeat myself...How is any cell phone correlated with AcuraLink? See comment posted above... In the past, was AcuraLink every connected with cell phones?
Old 12-11-2008, 05:57 PM
Pro

if you pair your phone via blue-tooth, it gives the car the ability to talk to the 'mother-ship' interactively via the tethered phone. The iPhone, however, does not currently support tethering, so you'd need a phone that could - for instanced, a motorola Krzr
Old 12-11-2008, 06:49 PM
Three Wheelin'

Jeez this is so confusing. I just got off the phone with my dealer, and after talking to two salesman, the AcuraLink has nothing to do with your cell phone, at least that's what they say.

I just went down to the car and turned off my iPhone, drove around the block and still got weather and traffic information through XM? So I'm not sure how the cell phone has an impact on receiving data through the AcuraLink since it's based in the tech package?

But on a positive note for those who are using the iPhone in the 09' TL's, I can listen to the iPod portion of my iPhone with VGA screen display, and still receive calls. Most of us who use the iPhone know the familiar message of," This accessory is not made to work with the iPhone...", but it sill works regardless.
Old 12-11-2008, 07:05 PM
Three Wheelin'

The dealer is wrong. Some diagnostic information must be paired with the Hands Free link AND have a data plan service and be set up with AcuraLink. Handfreelink.com lists the compatible data services. So now where back to Rick's original post I guess, and the answer is no until updates arise.

Last edited by bmode; 12-11-2008 at 07:08 PM.
Old 12-11-2008, 07:18 PM
Three Wheelin'

Data connection description from the handsfreelink.com website:

Ability to connect and transmit data to the Acura Server for the purpose of AcuraLink communication. AcuraLink Diagnostic Info provides a deeper analysis of what caused the malfunction in any one of the many systems in your vehicle. This can sometimes prevent the need for an unnecessary visit to your dealer. The system can notify you via AcuraLink when you have service needs that are indicated by the remote diagnosis system. The AcuraLink Diagnostic Info system requires the use of a Bluetooth enabled cell phone that is also active with a specific "Data" plan. Adding "Data" represents a charge on top of your monthly phone service plan. To find out which data plan to choose from your wireless carrier, look for the "phone Data Connection" service indicated for your phone and carrier in the "find a phone" section of www.handsfreelink.com.

The dealer is merely a dealer, not much for advice these days...
Old 01-13-2009, 07:06 PM
Advanced

Well this thread confirms my findings.

Does anyone have an update on AT&T allowing tethering on the iPhone? The following article says this year.
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-10083957-37.html
Old 01-13-2009, 09:57 PM
Advanced

For me I found that the iphone is always recognized by the car when plugging it via USB before pressing OK on the Nav. I dont know what the reason is though.
Old 01-14-2009, 09:03 AM
5th Gear

In order to use AcuraLink over a cell phone's data connection, you will need a cell phone that can act as a Bluetooth modem (also referred to as Bluetooth tethering).

The iPhone does not support wired tethering nor Bluetooth tethering yet. Most, if not all, AT&T cell phones are disabled for tethering. This is because AT&T doesn't want this to cannibalize sales of their laptop data cards and plans.

There certainly are phones out there that support Bluetooth tethering, but you will have to look for unbranded phones. For example, Fry's Electronics sells unbranded Sony Ericsson phones.

I personally have a Nokia E71 that I bought online. My phone is able to use AT&T's fast 3G connection and I'm able to use it as a Bluetooth modem for browsing the internet with my laptop.

If I had a 4G TL w/Tech, then I would be able to use AcuraLink over my cell phone's AT&T data connection.
Old 01-14-2009, 09:21 PM
Three Wheelin'

appears as something you might hardly ever use - as only if the car has a prblm would it have anything to send up stream to acura. or if you want to sched a service appt thru it -- seems as if a phone call might be easier? - anyone actually use it as intended yet?
Old 01-15-2009, 03:16 AM
Three Wheelin'

Ah good insight Kenny, I forgot about that AT&T has data cards for laptops. However, I'm not too worried about it, but it would be nice to have the option nevertheless.
Old 03-19-2009, 07:33 PM
Cruisin'

If you jailbreak your iphone 2g or 3g it works fine... I don't have any issues and mine works awesome... The issues lie with ATT blocking the tethering via bluetooth, it has nothing to do with the phone. If you remove the software that ATT has provisioned on the phone it works great.
Old 03-19-2009, 08:56 PM
Three Wheelin'

I never bothered with the whole jailbreak thing. 3.0 is coming out soon, they'll have to break 3.0 now. It's just not worth it just to change the cosmetics of the phone for me. I'm looking forward to MMS in the iPhone and cut and paste! So I use the old method to have my TL serviced, big deal. Mat, what you gonna do when 3.0 comes out, assuming you have a 3G?
Old 03-19-2009, 09:53 PM
10th Gear

Most Acura Link services are apparently NOT dependent on a HFL linked telephone. This is taken directly from the Acura owners information website;

Most AcuraLink™ information is uploaded via satellite. Bluetooth® is used only to communicate diagnostic information about your vehicle directly with Acura (and only if you have activated the optional diagnostic data submission via AcuraLink™). Your Bluetooth®-enabled phone will be connected for approximately 20 seconds for each data exch
NYPete
Old 03-20-2009, 02:11 AM
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by bmode
I never bothered with the whole jailbreak thing. 3.0 is coming out soon, they'll have to break 3.0 now. It's just not worth it just to change the cosmetics of the phone for me. I'm looking forward to MMS in the iPhone and cut and paste! So I use the old method to have my TL serviced, big deal. Mat, what you gonna do when 3.0 comes out, assuming you have a 3G?
I'm running 3.0 now, and theres a work-around to enable teathering, so I'm going to give it a shot tomorrow....

3.0 breaks the 'ipod link' feature (its beta, still buggy) but the stereo bluetooth is sick as hell to play music...i'll see if enabling USB/BT teathering will do anything for the data connection tomorrow/the weekend
Old 03-20-2009, 02:36 AM
Three Wheelin'

How'd you get 3.0 it's not out yet? Can you post a link for the beta?
Old 03-20-2009, 06:33 AM
Advanced

Matthew, what did you do to get the link working? I'm jailbroken, but I still can't get it to work.
Old 03-20-2009, 06:28 PM
Instructor

How'd you get 3.0 it's not out yet? Can you post a link for the beta?
The 3.0 is locked to developers (who have their phones specific UDID registered with their developer account), if its installed on another phone, it'll lock you out and say "unable to activate, not part of the beta program"

but teathering still doesnt work, I got the teather screen to appear but it doesnt connect yet for me, a friend of mine is tinkering with files to try and get it working
Old 03-21-2009, 04:43 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by muadib
Matthew, what did you do to get the link working? I'm jailbroken, but I still can't get it to work.
2nd. I'm jailbroken, and I'd love to get this to work. Thanks in advance.
Old 03-21-2009, 05:43 AM
Three Wheelin'

So 3.0 has only been released to beta testers?
Old 03-21-2009, 10:21 AM
Instructor

Yeah, its still an early beta version and its still pretty buggy. 2.0 went through a bunch of horribly buggy beta's before the final was ready for prime time, so I guess we'll have to wait it out until June-ish for a fully functional 3.0. MMS still doesnt work in the beta (its there, just doesnt successfully send), teathering doesnt work correctly, and stereo bluetooth works ok, but whenever you press buttons on the phone, it jumps a little..I'm confident that this data link will work once 3.0 gets to primetime
Old 03-21-2009, 04:19 PM
Three Wheelin'

I thought the tethering was on the carrier side, not the phone? So did AT&T open this up? Is there any cosmetic make over? New crazy apps other than MMS?
Old 03-21-2009, 05:49 PM
Three Wheelin'

I thought the tethering was on the carrier side, not the phone? So did AT&T open this up? Is there any cosmetic make over? New crazy apps other than MMS?

http://www.apple.com/iphone/preview-iphone-os/

watch the presentation lot of info
Old 03-21-2009, 07:55 PM
Three Wheelin'

I've been trying for 3 days to watch this presentation, it finally came up. I'll check it out.
Old 03-23-2009, 09:54 AM
G Force

Apple's iPhone's Bluetooth does not support Datalink profile, or Tethering, therefore, no matter what you want to do, it won't work...

Blame of Apple and AT&T, especially AT&T for their greediness...
Old 03-24-2009, 02:38 AM
Three Wheelin'

That's not true, jailbroken phones with Data plans can tether, and what does bluetooth have to do with the datalink or tethering? And I'm not being sarcastic, seriously what does bluetooth have to do with a modem?

http://lifehacker.com/5086490/the-be...aptop-for-free

If you watch the iPhone 3.0 presentation on Apple's website, you'll see that they tether a few 3G phones during the presentation, so tethering apparently works. For our 4G usage it obviously does not at this time, thanks to AT&T.
Old 03-24-2009, 07:12 AM
G Force

That's not true, jailbroken phones with Data plans can tether, and what does bluetooth have to do with the datalink or tethering? And I'm not being sarcastic, seriously what does bluetooth have to do with a modem?

http://lifehacker.com/5086490/the-be...aptop-for-free

If you watch the iPhone 3.0 presentation on Apple's website, you'll see that they tether a few 3G phones during the presentation, so tethering apparently works. For our 4G usage it obviously does not at this time, thanks to AT&T.
Dude, I know when Apple release iPhone OS 3.0, they might enable tethering and additional bluetooth profile, so on...

But, I'm sure the OP was talking like today, he or she might be using iPhone and would like to have AcuraLink, which I know current iPhone has limit support.

So, far the best phone support on Acura I've seen is SonyEricsson, no matter bluetooth phone call transfer back and forth between cellphone and Acura, very reliable.
Old 03-26-2009, 01:09 AM
Three Wheelin'

George, hold up on the posts till we get the skinny, your fishing without a rod.

I know when Apple releases 3.0, they might...
That just don't make sense cuz. You know for a fact that they might??? Guud won.

Just answer this as I previously asked, does bluetooth have anything to do with tethering in the iPhone?

Last edited by Bearcat94; 03-30-2009 at 12:27 PM. Reason: Unecesary Reference
Old 06-20-2009, 11:49 PM
Cruisin'

Just downloaded 3.0 for my iPhone 3G and I have Bluetooth Internet Tethering Enabled. Works great for my computer. Though I tried connecting to the AcuraLink through Bluetooth and it doesn't connect. The Bluetooth keeps on dropping and trying to reconnect. Anyone have any suggestions? Oh yeah, I'm doing this on the 2009 Acura TSX Tech Package.
Old 06-20-2009, 11:59 PM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ultxx
Just downloaded 3.0 for my iPhone 3G and I have Bluetooth Internet Tethering Enabled. Works great for my computer. Though I tried connecting to the AcuraLink through Bluetooth and it doesn't connect. The Bluetooth keeps on dropping and trying to reconnect. Anyone have any suggestions? Oh yeah, I'm doing this on the 2009 Acura TSX Tech Package.
I don't think any phone works with Acura link unless you get a data plan.
Old 06-21-2009, 05:31 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
The phones that are compatible with Acuralink data connections have data modems. iphones do not have data modems (not sure about the new model). Similarly, until a few recent models, Blackberries not have data modems.

Acuralink uses the phone's data modem to create data packets which are transmitted to the Acuralink server via XM. Example...your car has a trouble code. It can be sent to Acura via Acuralink. The car uses the phone's data modem to pass the info via XM to Acuralink server. A service rep can diagnose, and return a message to the car where again the cell phone's data modem can translate the message to display on the NAVVI or in theory, a software fix transmitted to the car.

You do not need an XM subscription for this feature to work. Your cell subscription must allow for data transmission and reception. You may not need to have a data plan but at least the capability. Some cell carriers will allow data transmission without a plan, but the fee per transmission can be high. And if you have this link it is a passive service which could cause unexpected charges on your cell account.

I have recieved inbound Acuralink messages such as appointment reminders, service reminders, operating tips, etc. I have yet to have an outbound message sent from my RL. You can, however test the Acuralink server or 'ping' it with the NAVI menus if you set up the datalink connection. If you pair a phone with a data modem (and tested compatible by Acura) it likely asks you if you want to establish a data connection.
Old 06-21-2009, 09:42 PM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Love Acura But.....

I got to say it, I think the Acura Link is the only glaring whole in the technology of Acura cars.

If any one has used a newer Onstar, BMW or Mercedes ver. of this technology know Acura is really in bad shape here.

Also the side view mirror not dimming and no rain sensing wipers would be the only other things I could think of but Acura link is much more impotent when you are in a ditch on the side of the road dying.
Old 06-22-2009, 12:57 PM
Cruisin'

Guys it is not a phone limitation, it is a provider limitation. The blackberry bold does not work either. It has to do with ATT Mobility blocking the data tethering options. If you jailbreak your iPhone it will work just fine. (don't ask me how to do it, use google...)
Old 06-23-2009, 12:04 AM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I have a RDX and Acuralink worked with my Nokia N95, using its data connection. Of course I was also able to use the N95 as a bluetooth modem with my laptop. I got the iPhone 3GS, and enabled tethering on it by going to http://help.benm.at (on the iphone browser, not your computer) and downloading a configuration file for AT&T. WIth the Iphone, the internet tethering works when connected to my computer, I can connect via bluetooth or usb cable and surf the net using the 3G internet through my computer. However, the iPhone internet tethering thing is different than a bluetooth modem, it's just not the same Bluetooth service, therefore it doesn't work with AcuraLink, I tried. It works with my computer but not with AcuraLink, due to different bluetooth service type required by AcuraLink.
Old 06-23-2009, 10:54 PM
User-approved

I tried it in every possible CE configuration and got nothing. This either needs a hack or Acura needs to bow down to the iPhone Army.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Acuralink data connection and iPhone