2014 RDX or wait for the 2015 version

Old 07-05-2013, 09:03 AM
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
2014 RDX or wait for the 2015 version

Hi everyone

1st post for me. I am starting to look for a new car. I currently drive an 8 year old Santa Fe and ready to step up to a more luxury vehicle. Was looking at the Audi Q5 along with some sedans from Lexus and the new TLX. I like the U in SUV so will probably stick with the SUV while adding roof racks and a trailer hitch. Plus the RDX gets similar MPG as the TL (and probably the TLX when released in the next few months). I am planning to wait until the end of the year to buy a new car (after getting my tax refund for a down payment). Since it will be 2014 and we will be hearing rumors about the 2015 models I wanted to ask would it make sense to wait for the 2015 RDX? Has anyone heard rumors of the minor updates that will be made for the 2015 version? We probably won't get a redesign until 2016 so any changes would be minor.

While the vehicle is great and a good value some of the weaknesses are:
-weaker in the tech area vs Audi, Mercedes, and Lexus (no blind spot, lane change, and other tech stuff)
-don't have the new pearl headlights from the RLX and TLX (rumored). Even the new Accord has the Led lights now.
-small gas tank vs competitors (only 16 gallons)
-roof racks are not standard like some of the competitors
-no hybrid version (I can see the engine from the 2014 Accord Hybrid that is set to be released very soon to be part of the RDX for those who drive a lot of miles). Not sure if I would get the hybrid if the engine is only 200 hp and 200 torque though.

I don't expect the gas tank to be increased but it would be nice if it went to 17.5-19 gallons to increase driving from around 360 miles per tank to above 400 and possibly to the 450 range. I would think the lights and the tech stuff would be upgraded though since without that stuff you lose a competitive advantage, especially when non-luxury competitors are adding those bells and whistles

My family has owned Hondas and Acuras for years so I am sold on their vehicles for service as well as their sales model (packages over the nickel and diming from other brands for options). I get turned off when I go to a site like Edmunds to compare vehicles and have the Acura side by side with the Audi only to see the Audi while a similar price for the base model is realy 5-10k more after adding many of the options that are standard in Acuras.
Old 07-05-2013, 09:45 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 153 Likes on 125 Posts
I agree with your points. One more thing is the lack of rear vents. I hope they will put that in the 2015 model. I'd wait for the 2015 if you don't need to buy right now.
Old 07-05-2013, 10:22 AM
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by hadokenuh
I agree with your points. One more thing is the lack of rear vents. I hope they will put that in the 2015 model. I'd wait for the 2015 if you don't need to buy right now.
All the passengers I had in the back seat in 90 degree plus weather commented about how it got so cool so fast back there. I don't understand why so many people complain about not having vents just because they don't see them in the back of the center console. Acura chose to place them under the front seats and they work apparently much better than some vehicles that have them in the back of the center console according to my rear seat passengers.
Attached Thumbnails 2014 RDX or wait for the 2015 version-tx44b3720.png  
Old 07-05-2013, 10:45 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
I never had experienced the cooling effect in the back seat as I never sit there (or have passengers per se) however, it is interesting that the cool air on the floor can cool the cabin because from fluid dynamic's point of you, we all know cool air is heavier and therefore, denser than warm air so you would think it would remain closer to the feet and not cool the upper part of the rear cabin. Not disputing your claim, just thinking out loud...
Old 07-05-2013, 12:41 PM
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by weather
I never had experienced the cooling effect in the back seat as I never sit there (or have passengers per se) however, it is interesting that the cool air on the floor can cool the cabin because from fluid dynamic's point of you, we all know cool air is heavier and therefore, denser than warm air so you would think it would remain closer to the feet and not cool the upper part of the rear cabin. Not disputing your claim, just thinking out loud...
The only passengers I usually carry in the backseat are rugrat grandkids. They complain about everything after 20 miles but hot or cold hasn't been one of them. Since it's a compact CUV, the air movement from the vehicle"s fans seems to cool pretty well. Now if I lived in Phoenix or Florida I might be more concerned but for 90% of the U.S. I think the present system is fine.
Old 07-06-2013, 12:11 PM
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts
The only comment I have is that the gas mileage of the TL SHAWD I just got out of is much worse on gas than the new RDX I have. As for the vents, I don't care cause I am never back there. The RDX is a nice, clean, more upscale vehicle that I just love.
Old 07-06-2013, 04:15 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 229 Likes on 161 Posts
Roof racks are great when you need them but ugly any other time.
I'm so glad they are optional.
Old 07-06-2013, 07:51 PM
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by hand-filer
Roof racks are great when you need them but ugly any other time.
I'm so glad they are optional.
I had roof racks on the Infiniti SUV I traded in on my RDX. Never used them once in ten years. Some wind resistance I could have done without over the years!
Old 07-17-2013, 01:48 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Roof racks create more drag on your vehicle and take away from fuel efficiency.
Just sayin'
Old 07-20-2013, 08:01 PM
Racer

I hope the 2015 version has a look similar to the MDX in front with the cool lights.

http://images.freshnessmag.com/wp-co...to-show-01.jpg
Old 07-21-2013, 01:16 AM
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
ib2015RDXorwaitforthe2016version

The following users liked this post:
H_CAR (07-22-2013)
Old 07-21-2013, 08:23 AM
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
LED headlights are nice, but i can live it without it. what i'm looking for for MMC is a Earth Dream motor or the non-vcm equipped 3.5L from the current TL. i'm not a big fan of the current 3.5 L V6 with vcm, my mom's Pilot has it (basically the same motor, just tuned differently). as others have stated the vcm engagement is definitely noticeable and the mpg saving is only minimal.
Old 07-22-2013, 10:18 AM
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
IMO, the 2015 would stay the same as the 2014.
The MMC will be 2016 which then would get the ED engine and jewel eyes.
It's possible due to such strong sales so far, 2015 would see a higher trim level above tech.
An advanced trim would include all the doo dads which other luxury brands offer.
Old 07-22-2013, 10:22 AM
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by kevTL888
i'm not a big fan of the current 3.5 L V6 with vcm, my mom's Pilot has it (basically the same motor, just tuned differently). as others have stated the vcm engagement is definitely noticeable and the mpg saving is only minimal.

I believe VCM is much more effective on smaller or more aerodynamic vehicles than the Pilot.
The VCM on the RDX definitely is useful to the effect of at least 2mpg extra on highway.

The engagement so far has not been an issue for me as it is very slight and fast if not totally undetectable since it happens together with the tranny shift.
Old 07-22-2013, 01:03 PM
Racer

I was in a friend's new Ford Escape last night. They had the lane change / blond spot sensor. Pretty cool feature. If Ford is offering it I would think Acura has to step up to offer such a thing.

a trim level above Tech may make sense for 2015 if they don't want to make the new stuff standard or as a way to keep the base price about the same.

Would like to see:
1. a hybrid version using the new Accord Hybrid engine (would be cool if they had a more powerful hybrid like the new infiniti Q50)
2. pearl headlights
3. blond spot / land change technology
4. parking assist
5. other add ons that Lexus, Mercedes, and Audi offer that Acura does not.
Old 07-23-2013, 04:18 AM
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 12 Posts
What is it with these pearl headlights anyway? They look like something out of an old Japanese Godzilla movie IMO. Not sure why Audi picked up on them.
Old 07-29-2013, 09:15 AM
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by geocord
I had roof racks on the Infiniti SUV I traded in on my RDX. Never used them once in ten years. Some wind resistance I could have done without over the years!

Roof racks never been a deal killer for me. I owned four vans over the 22 years and all have roof racks that I used all but twice in that many years. All they do probably caused more drag that benefitting car dynamic on the highway. Maybe I wasn't all that active in mountain biking, canoeing, or stowing donut bin on the racks like some others?
Old 07-29-2013, 02:49 PM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think there might only be minor changes for 2015 for the RDX. If you need a new car so badly, then get the 2014 RDX.
Old 07-29-2013, 03:09 PM
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
if the current pattern holds, RDX won't see a refresh until the '16 model year version. '13 - '15 will most likely be exactly the same other than new colors and standard features being added.
Old 07-30-2013, 08:42 AM
Racer

the only caveat to holding the status quo is: The current version of the Honda Accord (highest model) includes many of the bells and whistles that the Lexus's, BMW's, and others are offering (led daytime running lights, blind spot warning, lane change technology, etc...). If they are going to expand it to the CRV, Pilot (being redesigned for 2015) or Civic in 2015 they should add it to all the Acuras too. Plus Kia, Hyundai, and Ford are including these options. Considering they made 0 changes this year I think some minor changes may come next year or they risk being the old / stale CUV when compared to the Audi Q5 (being redesigned in 2015), Lexus RX (being redesigned in 2015), BMW X3, and Infiniti QX 50 (being redesigned in 2015). Even moreso some may compare it to the Ford Escape, Nissan Murano (being redesigned for 2015) or Hyundai Santa Fe as well. With a couple of competitors being redesigned they need to stay fresh against these vehicles and not fall behind on features. Another reason to wait and see what the 2015s look like.
Old 07-30-2013, 11:16 AM
Cruisin'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by geocord
The only passengers I usually carry in the backseat are rugrat grandkids. They complain about everything after 20 miles but hot or cold hasn't been one of them. Since it's a compact CUV, the air movement from the vehicle"s fans seems to cool pretty well. Now if I lived in Phoenix or Florida I might be more concerned but for 90% of the U.S. I think the present system is fine.
I live in Las Vegas, NV and our kids are fine with the HVAC of our 2014 RDX. I worried about it as well. I commented about it to the sales person during and after our test drive, but the lack of HVAC vents in the console for the rear seats has turned out to be a non-issue.
Old 07-30-2013, 01:50 PM
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
The 2014's have just come out so no one knows what is going to be done with the 2015's. Your guess is as good as mine.

I drive a lot of highway miles, about 16K a year so I'd never buy a hybrid. Hybrid's are good for city driving and a lot of stop and go. Hybrids on the highway at 80Mph are only using the gas engine for the most part. I've owned diesels before (VW's) and I was averaging 46Mpg so I'd go diesel before hybrid any day if it was an option.

The rest I could not really care about. More tech means more issues when the vehicle is older and I don't carry anything on racks so don't care about those.
Old 08-19-2013, 08:29 AM
Racer

I am very encouraged with the MDX and RLX advanced package that offers a lot of the safety features that I am looking for. I just hope they don't force an entertainment package with the advanced package like on the MDX. I also saw on the MDX board that some of the drivers are getting 28+ mpg with their MDX's which is encouraging since the RDX engine is similar, potentially even more efficient. I typically buy vehicles and drive them for 7-10 years which is why I prefer the latest technology since most of it becomes standard on most vehicles within 5 years.
Old 08-21-2013, 04:58 PM
Pro

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts
The 2015 will most likely have the next gen of AcuraLink.
Old 08-22-2013, 05:55 PM
Pro

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts
I hope the RDX will look like the MDX inside, with 2 screens, link HERE.
Old 08-22-2013, 09:48 PM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe Las Vegas
I don't know if I would get my hopes up too high. That is a pretty big change and honestly Acura is selling these things so fast I doubt they see a need to make such a big change.
Old 09-10-2013, 10:19 AM
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe Las Vegas
Look over at the MDX board. There are a lot of complaints about the responsiveness on the touch screen. This could get annoying if you are trying to quickly change something.
Old 09-10-2013, 01:57 PM
Racer

does the RDX release its new model around January each year or was it only because this year they made no changes so it made sense to change the year? I see the RLX and MDX were over the summer. The TL is in September.

Being that it is Sept already and the model has been out for 8 or so months would make it worthwhile to wait 4 months to see what changes may be in the new model. It will also coincide with tax refund season for adding a little extra to a down payment.

I have been comparing the Acura to the BMW X1 and the new Jeep Cherokee. Each has certain advantages and disadvantages.

Acura RDX - plenty of space and nice engine with lots of standard features. Lacks certain features on the RLX / MDX advanced that Honda, Ford, Kia, and other non-luxury brands offer now.

BMW X1 - nice engine with great torque. Best in class MPG. Lots of features, some that Acura does not offer. Smaller backseat legroom and trunk space. More like a wagon in an SUV costume.

Jeep Cherokee - brand new vehicle. Weaker engine than Acura but similar gas mileage. Nice space in back. Lots of features, some that Acura RDX does not offer. Takes regular gas. Not a luxury vehicle but the Jeep brand is on the list of best selling vehicles in America's wealthiest zip codes.

http://blog.truecar.com/2012/08/07/b...est-zip-codes/.

Adding an Advanced package similar to the RLX / MDX would probably lock me into the Acura in a few months. I really like the new headlights on the new MDX's that I have seen and would love them on my new vehicle.

Last edited by wildeklave; 09-10-2013 at 02:11 PM.