Waste too much gas !!

Old 06-24-2011, 09:08 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Waste too much gas !!

Hey whats up TL enthusiasts , Every time I fill up my car I reset the mileage just to see how many miles I get per tank And I usually average 220-240 miles mixing city and highway driving, is this good because my friend also has a TL and he tells me he gets 280-300, and we both have an intake. I always drive on city and highway speed limits. Sometime I would turn on the fan not the A/C in my car.

Do I have to replace the fuel filter?

How much do you guys get per tank not per mile ?

Or is it that I put 93 and it burns more gas ?

Thank you for your inputs
Old 06-24-2011, 09:36 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When was the last time you cleaned your throttle body?
Franco
Old 06-24-2011, 09:57 PM
Unregistered Member

Received 555 Likes on 445 Posts
Cleaning TB alone won't really help your MPG, unless you seafoam everything properly.

Yea, that's kind of bad MPG. I'm driving 100% city with A/C blasting max, and I'm getting better mpg.
Old 06-24-2011, 11:41 PM
Intermediate

Sure, but it's a step in the right direction if never cleaned. A true tb clean will clear most mpg issues. It's a three step process. Injectors, fuel tank and tb for carbon build up. Cost about $100. Add a fuel filter and air filter and your good to go. Franco
Old 06-25-2011, 12:28 AM
Unregistered Member

A true (w/e that means) TB clean doesn't involve the fuel tank. Or else, it wouldn't be called a TB clean... That three step process is much more than just a simple TB clean, whether it's "true" or not.

Can't really replace our fuel filters without some serious effort. It's not a serviceable filter for our cars.

Air filter might be a problem. Since you have an intake, it might just need cleaning. Depends on the filter.

93 octane is what you're supposed to use for the car. It won't hurt the MPG. I usually get 22mpg on city, and 32mpg on highway.

I'd recommend 1 entire can of SeaFoam in a half tank of gas. You can also use the vac port or TB to suck in the SeaFoam. There's detailed instructions all over, just search for it.

How old/what brand are your spark plugs?
Old 06-25-2011, 04:26 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
do the `easy seafoam method` of twice with 1 can in just under half tank/8 gallons fuel

That gets fuel tank and fuel `filter/sock on the pickup in tank`
cleans all the fuel lines and rails, the injectors-critical to get them!, the intake valves and piston tops, seafoam makes it all shiny new inside
do that twice and you have equaled the job of 1 can in gas and 1 in manifold vac port

Clean TB air plate with carb cleaner - both sides and edges

spark plugs, replace if over 70kmiles on them NGK iridium or ngk platinum, 8 bucks each, accept no 2 buck subsitutes!!

always run the TL on 91 or higher, 93 is fine the car is made for 94 and will accept 91~

ck tire pressure 32 is way to low for max mileage
see tire sidewall for max and subtract 20%

the TL prefers to get up to speed so it can get into highest gear and save gas
Lugging it up to speed isnt helping like you think
Old 06-26-2011, 11:15 AM
~~~ SKY'S THE LIMIT ~~~

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
ya know guys ---i was getting terrible gas millage till i took the intake manifold off and cleaned the fuck outta it---and the TB itself-----pretty amazing cuz now im getting 420 miles to a full tank with city and highway and i have a CAI too
Old 06-27-2011, 10:44 AM
Cruisin'

Seafoam is not god. I get very similar mileage to you and after trying many different "fixes" I have finally figured out that is it because of the WAY I drive. I get about 250 miles out of a tank also. My spouse drove my car for a month and averaged about 300 miles per tank. The difference is that my spouse drives like a little old lady and I drive pretty aggresively. If you are getting 220-240 you are probably in an urban enviornment and pretty lead footed. Top Gear tested a Prius around a racetrack and it got 19MPG while an M3 averaged 28 MPG. They were proving that the way you drive your car is the most major impact to fuel economy. As a side note... putting an intake on any car is stupid. If it was that easy to squeeze out a few extra HP don't you think the engineers at Honda/Acura would have done it? The only reason you get more HP is because you get less resistance. The reason you have less resistance is because the filtration from those aftermarket intakes suck. You are pulling more crap into your motor to squeeze out a barely noticeable difference in HP. If you plan on making your motor last, do it a favor and put your OEM intake back on with an OEM filter. Any motor can be modified to produce more horsepower... the cost of that extra power is going to be efficiency and longevity.

Last edited by EFraelich82; 06-27-2011 at 10:51 AM.
Old 06-27-2011, 12:02 PM
Team Owner

there are thousands here with proof your statements are incorrect on longevity and filter change-resonator removal,,
we have moderators with actual engine teardowns at 200kmiles- found honing marks still on cylinder walls- like new! and ready to go another 200 no sweat

I do agree driving style totally affects mileage- lugging the car up to speed is actually bad for it! get it to speed so it can use highest gear possible,,but dont race car it to speed~ save that for track days,,,which I beg everyone to attend- will save your life and probably someone elses- by your newfound superior driving skills!

oe air filters are cheap pos- the oil filters have gone down in quality over the years- aftermarket is superior and releases data about their products

cleaning the egr system every 75kmiles and clean the TB, keep the injectors flowing right and intake valves and pistons clean (seafoam or your favorite) = max you can do in the engine compartment

Tire pressure correct for cars weight percentage on current tires? (usually 4-6psi more than 32)

Last edited by 01tl4tl; 06-27-2011 at 12:05 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by 01tl4tl:
Karanx7 (06-27-2011), TL260PLS (06-27-2011)
Old 06-27-2011, 12:45 PM
Intermediate

I basically got a new car , new tranny, spark plugs from the dealer, timing belt , water pump, also cleaned the TB , washed out the intake filter, I have a type-s whoever is getting a 22mpg and 32 in the highway must have the regular TL. I noticed when I put 93 I burn more gas and with 91 less gas !! My car is at 115k already had since 06 and put a total of close to 47k and it's always been the same 220-240 per tank ! So idk maybe cuz I drive aggressive here in NY but when I want to take a chill I cruise and still get the same !! Smh !!
Old 06-27-2011, 01:16 PM
Unregistered Member

EFraelich82, there is just SOOO much wrong with what you said. I agree driving technique is a major factor though.
Old 06-27-2011, 02:13 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by EFraelich82
Seafoam is not god. I get very similar mileage to you and after trying many different "fixes" I have finally figured out that is it because of the WAY I drive. I get about 250 miles out of a tank also. My spouse drove my car for a month and averaged about 300 miles per tank. The difference is that my spouse drives like a little old lady and I drive pretty aggresively. If you are getting 220-240 you are probably in an urban enviornment and pretty lead footed. Top Gear tested a Prius around a racetrack and it got 19MPG while an M3 averaged 28 MPG. They were proving that the way you drive your car is the most major impact to fuel economy. As a side note... putting an intake on any car is stupid. If it was that easy to squeeze out a few extra HP don't you think the engineers at Honda/Acura would have done it? The only reason you get more HP is because you get less resistance. The reason you have less resistance is because the filtration from those aftermarket intakes suck. You are pulling more crap into your motor to squeeze out a barely noticeable difference in HP. If you plan on making your motor last, do it a favor and put your OEM intake back on with an OEM filter. Any motor can be modified to produce more horsepower... the cost of that extra power is going to be efficiency and longevity.
Originally Posted by Karanx7
EFraelich82, there is just SOOO much wrong with what you said. I agree driving technique is a major factor though.

Try telling that to me (and most others here) I dont have any reduced efficiency OR longevity.
Old 06-27-2011, 02:15 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by TL260PLS
I basically got a new car , new tranny, spark plugs from the dealer, timing belt , water pump, also cleaned the TB , washed out the intake filter, I have a type-s whoever is getting a 22mpg and 32 in the highway must have the regular TL. I noticed when I put 93 I burn more gas and with 91 less gas !! My car is at 115k already had since 06 and put a total of close to 47k and it's always been the same 220-240 per tank ! So idk maybe cuz I drive aggressive here in NY but when I want to take a chill I cruise and still get the same !! Smh !!
Why is it so hard to believe it can be done? I have gotten 500+- out of my tank many times with my type-s motor cruising along at 80 or so. (with the manual trans that is 750 rpm higher than the auto even)
Old 06-27-2011, 02:23 PM
takin care of Business in

Received 4,732 Likes on 4,064 Posts
dude i get more mileage even on days when i stomp on the gas....

couple questions for you:

1> your fueling style: do you stop at the first click or top off or round to the next dollar/dime ?
2> your driving style: drove like you stole it or you coast to red lights/stop signs
3> terrain: road type/uphill/downhill/city/highway (i know you said mixed but some % will help)
4> oil change intervals
5> miles on the car?
6> seafoam often ? type of oil ?
7> air filter: clean ? new ?

I have a 05 TL with 150K miles which is regularly maintained by me and i get 25mpg 60-40 (highway-city) ~350miles/tank....and 32+mpg highway ~500miles/tank....

you should be getting around the same....
Old 06-28-2011, 02:16 PM
Intermediate

@ fsttyms1 No way you can get 500+ on one tank not believable, sorry man !! A tank is 17 gallons maybe you fill up twice !!
@ swoosh in order 1. Stop at first click
2. I do both
3. All terrains
4. Every 2500 to 3000
5. 115k
6. Every 6 months , mobil synthetic
So what seems to the problem , I believe 300+ a tank but not 500+, what I'm doing wrong !!
7. Cleaned recently
Old 06-28-2011, 08:02 PM
Unregistered Member

Seriously, you're gonna call Fatty on his BS? Why would he lie? Also, it's not like he's the only one that has gotten 500+. If I go 99% highway, I would also get 500+, though I'm a TL-P.

If you're getting 240 per tank, something is wrong. Also, the OEM engine filter isn't really washable. You have to buy a new one, or get a K&N.
Old 06-28-2011, 09:55 PM
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts
Ever had it aligned? Are you toting all your tools around in the trunk? Ever inspected the brakes for sticking calipers or changed fluid?

Last edited by totaledTL; 06-28-2011 at 10:01 PM.
Old 06-28-2011, 10:33 PM

Received 1,015 Likes on 866 Posts
Ive Bet is the Driving Manners and City Traffic Styles.
Here in San Diego Ive could never Dream of getting More than 300K of a Tank in this kind of traffic and driving in a Conservative Style, A/C is a Luxury with this weather so thats a plus too...

But thats in Here, In Highway I get more than 500K out of a Tank going 80mph Cruise.
Old 06-29-2011, 05:56 AM
Team Owner

skirm- you have lost your mind- ck your numbers above 300k? 300,000 miles on a tank!
you went to the moon (and coasted back?) .... on one tank--amazing

TL260 the tank holds MORE than 17, supposed to hold 17.3 to the first click of pump and you can get another gal+ a little if you let it settle and top off the tank to the filler neck- note dont get any in that side hole or fill it so much it can get in there-
goes direct to charcoal cannister and screws it up!!
You can get away with topping off IF you are jumping directly on the freeway and using some fuel
do that and go park on a hot day = make yourself a headache~

ANY use of VTEC rpm will destroy your mileage
keep it under 3000 and medium throttle to accellerate for max economy mode
Old 06-29-2011, 06:32 AM
Unregistered Member

Shit, I hit VTEC in my driveway and I still get ~350miles. Even if you drive aggressively, you should still get at least 300miles.

Hmm, I've always wondered. Is there a speed limit in your property? Can you get a ticket for speeding on you're own driveway?
Old 06-29-2011, 09:11 AM
Senior Moderator

@ fsttyms1 No way you can get 500+ on one tank not believable, sorry man !! A tank is 17 gallons maybe you fill up twice !!
2. I do both
3. All terrains
4. Every 2500 to 3000
5. 115k
So what seems to the problem , I believe 300+ a tank but not 500+, what I'm doing wrong !!
7. Cleaned recently
bs on me Well believe it!!! Why dont you use the search button and search for the other 10,000 mpg threads and see how many others have as well. My current tank has about 420 hwy miles with the AC on and about 77mph average on it. I still dont have the low fuel light on. With a mix of driving i never get less than 320 to a tank (and that usually gets filled at or before the low fuel light comes on which means (in my car) there is 3.5 gallons of fuel left in the tank which even at the low end of mileage there is at least 60 more miles left.
Old 06-29-2011, 11:03 AM
takin care of Business in

Received 4,732 Likes on 4,064 Posts
2. I do both
3. All terrains
4. Every 2500 to 3000
5. 115k
7. Cleaned recently
dude seems like we have the pretty same stuff here....while filling up i round it off to the next $....so if it stops at 50.20, i round it up to 51....
1> what tires are you rolling on?
2> mods on the car?
3> how much weight is in your TL usually...?
4> alignment/balancing ?
5> when did you last clean your throttle body and intake manifold ?
6> calipers sticking ? when did you last change ur brake fluid ?
7> M/T or A/T....do you drive using tiptronic shift (if A/T) ?

Originally Posted by totaledTL
Ever had it aligned? Are you toting all your tools around in the trunk? Ever inspected the brakes for sticking calipers or changed fluid?
didnt think about brakes....you bring out a good point there buddy....adding it to #6 up there

Originally Posted by Skirmich
Ive Bet is the Driving Manners and City Traffic Styles.
Here in San Diego Ive could never Dream of getting More than 300K of a Tank in this kind of traffic and driving in a Conservative Style, A/C is a Luxury with this weather so thats a plus too...

But thats in Here, In Highway I get more than 500K out of a Tank going 80mph Cruise.
i have my $$$ on the same...driving style....highway i get only 500 a tank when am doing 70-75....i cant seem to drive at 80....either am at 75 cruising/chilling or am doing 90ish

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
skirm- you have lost your mind- ck your numbers above 300k? 300,000 miles on a tank!
you went to the moon (and coasted back?) .... on one tank--amazing

TL260 the tank holds MORE than 17, supposed to hold 17.3 to the first click of pump and you can get another gal+ a little if you let it settle and top off the tank to the filler neck- note dont get any in that side hole or fill it so much it can get in there-
goes direct to charcoal cannister and screws it up!!
You can get away with topping off IF you are jumping directly on the freeway and using some fuel
do that and go park on a hot day = make yourself a headache~

ANY use of VTEC rpm will destroy your mileage
keep it under 3000 and medium throttle to accellerate for max economy mode
yup i saw the mpg drop the minute i hit vtec....and true the TL tank holds ~18 gallons to the top....i did this little experiment when i drove till my car stalls (i know its bad for the fuel filter)...then i put a gallon of gas which i had in the trunk and went straight to the pump where i pumped in 17.2 gallons....hence I guessed the tank is ~18 gallons....

Originally Posted by Karanx7
Shit, I hit VTEC in my driveway and I still get ~350miles. Even if you drive aggressively, you should still get at least 300miles.

Hmm, I've always wondered. Is there a speed limit in your property? Can you get a ticket for speeding on you're own driveway?
35mph for residential area....read the rule book

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
bs on me Well believe it!!! Why dont you use the search button and search for the other 10,000 mpg threads and see how many others have as well. My current tank has about 420 hwy miles with the AC on and about 77mph average on it. I still dont have the low fuel light on. With a mix of driving i never get less than 320 to a tank (and that usually gets filled at or before the low fuel light comes on which means (in my car) there is 3.5 gallons of fuel left in the tank which even at the low end of mileage there is at least 60 more miles left.
you should ban him for raising the BS flag against you
Old 06-29-2011, 11:11 AM
Team Owner

Received 2,334 Likes on 1,962 Posts
Ur calling Kris a Liar op

anyway search there are 50492334838290202 threads on MPG's :shakehead
Old 06-29-2011, 12:52 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Flipster23
Ur calling Kris a Liar op

anyway search there are 50492334838290202 threads on MPG's :shakehead
Yep, I'm a liar. I never did the 6 speed conversion or put Audi A4 headlights on my car either. All those videos of me racing weren't real, they were computer generated
Old 06-29-2011, 03:10 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've had my TL-S for 6 years. I get 330 / 340 miles per tank in town and get over 500 per tank highway with c.c. set at 75-80mph. I also have a Comptech Icebox.
Old 06-29-2011, 11:54 PM
Intermediate

yeah when i travelled across country i filled up the tank full and ran it til the low fuel light came on and got 500 miles easy
Old 06-30-2011, 08:20 AM
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
the fools that are getting poor gas milage should turn their cars off while they are sitting in traffic going no were and burning fuel. That is the biggest reason for poor gas milage in a city enviroment.
Old 07-08-2011, 03:27 PM
8th Gear

I get about 330 miles out of my full tank, but I never go more than 30 miles after the idiot light goes on....2000 TL. I drive in Southern Californa traffic, which means that I don't drive at a long distance without meeting some sort of traffic. I use 91 only. So what is implied (correct me if I am wrong), that if I continued driving after the 30 miles when the light goes on I could get an additional 150+ miles out of it??? Really? When is it bad on the filter of fuel pump?
Old 07-09-2011, 04:22 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
there are thousands here with proof your statements are incorrect on longevity and filter change-resonator removal,,
we have moderators with actual engine teardowns at 200kmiles- found honing marks still on cylinder walls- like new! and ready to go another 200 no sweat

I do agree driving style totally affects mileage- lugging the car up to speed is actually bad for it! get it to speed so it can use highest gear possible,,but dont race car it to speed~ save that for track days,,,which I beg everyone to attend- will save your life and probably someone elses- by your newfound superior driving skills!

oe air filters are cheap pos- the oil filters have gone down in quality over the years- aftermarket is superior and releases data about their products

cleaning the egr system every 75kmiles and clean the TB, keep the injectors flowing right and intake valves and pistons clean (seafoam or your favorite) = max you can do in the engine compartment

Tire pressure correct for cars weight percentage on current tires? (usually 4-6psi more than 32)
totally agree with you on that.all these keep your car up to par but most tend to slack which is where a problem results.