2003 Acura TL - SRS Light is on

Old 08-20-2010, 07:40 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 Acura TL - SRS Light is on

Hi,

I'm trying to reset the SRS light, there's a small problem however..

Just wondering the MES plug for the 03 TL is under the steering wheel to the left, right? (behind the fuse box on driver's seat side)
If so, then how do you unplug it? I tried many different approaches and I failed. I really dont want to yank on anything unless I'm sure it's the only way.

Also a much smaller problem. My memory seat, always goes to number 2 when I turn off and turn on the car, regardless of how my seat and mirrors are setup. how do I solve this?
Old 08-20-2010, 10:41 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
did you ck the SRS reset in the diy section of threads?

what triggered the light?- battery connected while working on wiring,, or an accident?
there is a special 10year/150kmile srs warranty,
you can try a reset once and if it comes back take to dealer
Old 08-20-2010, 10:43 AM
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts
The seat & mirrors will move to the memory setting corresponding with the remote that you use. Remote 1- memory settings 1; remote 2- memory settings 2.
Old 08-20-2010, 11:52 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by totaledTL
The seat & mirrors will move to the memory setting corresponding with the remote that you use. Remote 1- memory settings 1; remote 2- memory settings 2.
I only have 1 remote, and the vehicle never did that before. I found it strange, before the car would get unlocked, and just stay at the setting that it was when it you turn it off.

@01tl4tl

What trigged it? I parked it in the underground garage, away from the elements at night, like I do every night, woke up the next morning, started the vehicle and the srs light came on.

I am residing in Canada right now, I understand my car is under warranty, however I called 3 dealers and each one of them told me that As soon as they connect to the car's computer they automatically will charge me 120 canadian dollars (110 USD).

I did look on how to reset it myself, however my problem is not the process, but the Unplugging of the MES cable. that thing is plugged in really well, and I have no idea how I can possibly unplug it safely without messing up the back of the fuse panel. if you can just tell me what I have to press in to get it to come out that would be great.

Oh btw I did pull out the 2 SRS fuses and checked them. nothing is wrong with them, but I'm guessing that wasn't going to help me now that I read through many threads, is that correct?

Last edited by Arabguy; 08-20-2010 at 11:56 AM.
Old 08-20-2010, 04:11 PM
Team Owner

is it a canada made car... or a usa car living in canada?

call acura canada and ask if you are covered by the srs extended warranty
1-888-9 acura 9

service writers and phone staff always tell you there is a diagnostic charge--
thats actually a law to protect YOU from car strippers,,
diagnostic/repair invoice shows they have permission to work on your car- can show cops they are not car thieves~...thieves of some type sure-
but not stealing your car

the service manager can waive that fee, or if its discovered to be a warranty issue then corp pays and you pay nothing

some TSBs tech service bulletins contain a section allowing warranty replacement of a part in certain circumstances
Old 08-20-2010, 04:16 PM
Team Owner

beyond that, read the azine DIY again - maybe it will make more sense today
look in acurazine `Meets` threads for azine members near you who may be able to help

register with acura care canada--search for web address on here on online
I only know usa site
You can read the owner manual online there for `keyfob operation`
1-2 means driver #, so you can have your own presets and if you actually let someone else drive your baby--they can have their own setting
So as not to screw up yours all the time!!!
Old 08-22-2010, 12:16 AM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Arabguy
I did look on how to reset it myself, however my problem is not the process, but the Unplugging of the MES cable. that thing is plugged in really well, and I have no idea how I can possibly unplug it safely without messing up the back of the fuse panel. if you can just tell me what I have to press in to get it to come out that would be great.
It's just your basic clip connector. Press the clip in and pull out. Make sure you're taking out the SMALLER of the two yellow connectors. Once you stuff your head under the dash you'll see the big yellow one (I think with green wires) in your face. A little further up and closer to the dashboard is the MES connector.

Short wires, wait SRS to turn off
Un-short wires, wait for SRS to turn on
Short wires, wait for SRS to turn off
Un-short, and if successful, SRS should blink twice.
Old 08-23-2010, 09:31 AM
Intermediate

Hey guys,
I have an update. I went to a friend's shop to change a part for my car. He had the tool that hooks up to your car, and did diagnostic on it (free of charge) + reset the SRS light. He said it's the OPDS and I'm sure he's right because the light came back on the next day. I called an acura dealer nearby and they told me some mumbo jumbo about checking what part of the OPDS is broken and if it is covered by the warranty. but I'm still worried as the advisor I spoke to sounded like he wants to charge me 120 dollars for a 2 minute diagnostics that I had already done. what's more confusing is that He mentioned some parts of the OPDS is not covered under warranty. He also failed to mention what parts are not covered under warranty :/

Gonna call Acura canada to see if they can inform me of the parts not covered under warranty.
Old 08-23-2010, 11:18 AM
Team Owner

the usa coverage is 5 of 6 parts in the system are covered-
per acura service managers that are ziners `its 99.98% chance it is covered` `assuming no accident or salvage title history`

service writers are salesmen (of repairs and parts) who must- by law- tell you of a diagnostic charge
If the problem is found to be warranty- corp pays diagnostic fee and replacement of part, dealer tries to give you a loaner car if part must be ordered- 2 days
Old 08-23-2010, 11:19 AM
Team Owner

you dont have anything sitting on the passenger seat do you?