Door Light comes on while driving!

Old 11-07-2010, 07:43 PM
Rice and Crackers...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Door Light comes on while driving!

Tried to search for this issue, but can't think of the search terms to get good results...

For the past week, the interior lights and 'chime' sound have been occurring as if the door is open while I am driving. The message indicator flashes 'door ajar' too. Realized that it occurs when i take any sharp turns causing the passengers weight to press against the door. The person can also just push their elbow against the door and cause this too (really annoying when your friend is messing with you for an hour car ride!).

Obviously this is covered under warranty, but if there is a quick fix to avoid a dealer trip, I would appreciate it.

Thanks.
Old 11-07-2010, 08:33 PM
Pro

This happened to me in Late 2008 on my 05 and was fixed under warranty. It was the door sensor failure, it was fixed under warranty. Its happened off an on again since, but what ive noticed, it ONLY happen's when it starts getting cold outside. Its been happening off and on this fall and ive called Pohanka Acura, and even though my car is out of warranty their going to fix it for free because they said ive had it in twice in 2 years for the same issue, and they obviously havent fixed it. Good luck, its ANNOYING!
Old 11-07-2010, 08:39 PM
2011 ZCP E92 M3!!

had the same problem with my maxima , just get a new sensor
Old 11-08-2010, 10:27 AM
Rice and Crackers...

Mine just started happening with the cold weather here too. Looks like I need to make a dealer appt.
Old 11-09-2010, 05:41 PM
8th Gear

I posted the same problem in this forum a few days ago but you stated it more clearly. My issue is exactly the same as yours, even the annoying friend thinking it's funny to lean on the door and make the light and chime go off so I'm glad a few people chimed in. Anyone know if replacing the door sensor will be an expensive fix?
Old 11-13-2010, 11:49 PM
Pro

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts
Bump for how expensive this is to fix. Would this kind of issue still be covered even though I'm past 49k miles?
Old 11-14-2010, 12:21 AM
B A N N E D

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
first of all make sure the door striker is tight (the screws), may be just loose enough to allow it to move slightly and turn the sensor on)

second, door that door HAVE any type of damage to it, or been repaired/replaced before, maybe cause it to be far enough out of alignment (ie: not an OEM door/has been tweaked) to cause the issue, also do the body lines line up perfectly, (as in the front door is perfectly flush with the back door)

second A: is there a little clear bra like dot opposite of the where the switch hits on the door (trying to remember exactly where the sensor is on the 3g ), if missing it may be just enough to cause said sensor to be tripping (brother's old 92 accord did that with the glove box light, but the felt material inside of it had worn away, so it was causing the switch to be tripped)

third it may be the sensor itself, but considering that it seems to be door position related (ie: you can push on the door consistently to turn the sensor on) probably not

also as far as the issue being more apparent with the cold, it's just everything contracting causing probably too much clearance between the parts (switch and door)
Old 11-28-2010, 10:15 AM
Rice and Crackers...

Originally Posted by friesm2000
first of all make sure the door striker is tight (the screws), may be just loose enough to allow it to move slightly and turn the sensor on)

second, door that door HAVE any type of damage to it, or been repaired/replaced before, maybe cause it to be far enough out of alignment (ie: not an OEM door/has been tweaked) to cause the issue, also do the body lines line up perfectly, (as in the front door is perfectly flush with the back door)

second A: is there a little clear bra like dot opposite of the where the switch hits on the door (trying to remember exactly where the sensor is on the 3g ), if missing it may be just enough to cause said sensor to be tripping (brother's old 92 accord did that with the glove box light, but the felt material inside of it had worn away, so it was causing the switch to be tripped)

third it may be the sensor itself, but considering that it seems to be door position related (ie: you can push on the door consistently to turn the sensor on) probably not

also as far as the issue being more apparent with the cold, it's just everything contracting causing probably too much clearance between the parts (switch and door)
Screws are tight to the sensor itself. There is no striker plate or anything that it makes contact with, just the door panel itself. Bought the car CPO from dealership, and as far as I can tell, there is no damage to door and it is flush to back door.

The problem has gotten 10x worse over the past week. Any bump, and change in elevation, any braking, any anything and it chimes off and on and off and on. I just mashed the sensor 100 times with my hand in an out and turned the metal solenoid side to side and now I can't reproduce the issue with just my body weight. Gonna go for a drive and see what happens.

The dealer opens at 12pm today, might be driving out there to get this fixed ASAP.
Old 11-28-2010, 11:41 AM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by rnc_forever
Screws are tight to the sensor itself. There is no striker plate or anything that it makes contact with, just the door panel itself. Bought the car CPO from dealership, and as far as I can tell, there is no damage to door and it is flush to back door.

The problem has gotten 10x worse over the past week. Any bump, and change in elevation, any braking, any anything and it chimes off and on and off and on. I just mashed the sensor 100 times with my hand in an out and turned the metal solenoid side to side and now I can't reproduce the issue with just my body weight. Gonna go for a drive and see what happens.

The dealer opens at 12pm today, might be driving out there to get this fixed ASAP.
no the striker plate for the latch itself (the u-shaped thing on the pillar/car itself), it may not be holding the door shut far enough which is allowing the sensor to flicker on and off

dealers here are not even allowed to be open Sundays (especially for car sales; so service also stays closed too)
Old 11-28-2010, 01:58 PM
Rice and Crackers...

Not sure it is fixed, but on my last ride out, couldn't get the problem to happen again! No dealer trip for me yet...
Old 11-28-2010, 05:31 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,811 Likes on 1,282 Posts
Originally Posted by friesm2000

Wow, great advice!

I had to add a small piece of felt to mine to get the sensor to push in all the way. So far so good nearly 2 years later.

The first time I noticed it was getting run off a 2 lane highway by a diesel. I hit the gravel shoulder and passed the diesel so sideways that I saw his shocked look through the windshield instead of the side window. Recovered very easily but I remember the chime and lights coming on during that event. I thought it was some safety thing telling me I was crossed up. The CD radio turned itself off too. After that it would randomly come on over bumps and hard cornering so I guess it was just the striker.
Old 11-28-2010, 11:26 PM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by I hate cars
Wow, great advice!

I had to add a small piece of felt to mine to get the sensor to push in all the way. So far so good nearly 2 years later.

The first time I noticed it was getting run off a 2 lane highway by a diesel. I hit the gravel shoulder and passed the diesel so sideways that I saw his shocked look through the windshield instead of the side window. Recovered very easily but I remember the chime and lights coming on during that event. I thought it was some safety thing telling me I was crossed up. The CD radio turned itself off too. After that it would randomly come on over bumps and hard cornering so I guess it was just the striker.
sounds almost like the ignition or something got turned off instead (or maybe somehow the g-forces tripped the main -relay off , or just made the CD skip )
but as you are saying kinda also, just enough flex in the car to trip the switch, with bumps and turning hard

but a good one about that safty feature is on like the early 2000's Lexus RX300, with when you activate the stability control for more then a few seconds, a buzzer comes on to tell you that it is working (a dirt parking does wounders, especially when they are basically complaining that it fells like the ABS is not kicking on, since ABS and Stability are basically the same system after all with a few added sensors)
Old 04-19-2011, 08:38 PM
Rice and Crackers...

UPDATE: Problem came back again, so for the last 2 months I have had a piece or cardboard over top the sensor which stopped the problem.

Got a B1 service done at the dealer Wednesday and they adjusted the door sensor. Problem gone, no cardboard needed.
Old 04-23-2011, 12:16 AM
contemplating future mods

Received 132 Likes on 94 Posts
Question Door unlocks and lights go on while I am driving

Does anybody have and idea why my doors unlock and lights go on while I am driving??? This problem just started within the last few days and it seems to be happening more often. The problem occurs mostly when I am making a right hand turn. I first happened when I made a quick turn and I thought it was some sort of "G-force" sensor or something but I find that hard to believe. Now the doors unlock and the lights will go on even when I am making a turn at 5- 10 mph.

I have absolutely no idea why this is occurring. I am going to look into this issue more tomorrow but I figured that I would ask the community if anyone has experienced this before and if so, what would be causing this.

I have checked all my "keyless" settings and everything is set as it should be. Could it be loose wiring or an issue with a fuse???
Old 04-23-2011, 12:37 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,770 Likes on 4,341 Posts
Door isn't closed or the sensor doesn't think it's closed.

Merging your thread with another that got bumped a few days ago.
Old 04-23-2011, 01:20 AM

Originally Posted by Bearcat94
Door isn't closed or the sensor doesn't think it's closed.

Merging your thread with another that got bumped a few days ago.
Thank you Bearcat
Old 04-23-2011, 03:17 PM
Dominic@n TL

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Is there a DIY to this problem or atleast pics to what we have to look for???
Old 06-22-2011, 04:44 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 71 Likes on 49 Posts
bump

started happening to me on a long road trip. it is very intermittent tho, it could happen 10 times in 2 mins or not at all for 30 mins.
Old 06-22-2011, 07:28 PM

Received 1,162 Likes on 847 Posts
happened to my car one time when i was making a quick turn. wasnt even the quickest turn i've made, but faster than normal.
Old 06-23-2011, 01:42 PM
Burning Brakes

Do i just need to replace the door sensor? It's only $5 from the dealership
The following users liked this post:
MyBabysBaby (01-23-2012)
Old 06-23-2011, 09:04 PM

I fixed mine by adjusting the STRIKER ASSY, DOOR LOCK. This let the door shut a little tighter. I haven't had a problem since. The fix took me only a few minutes.
Old 06-26-2011, 12:29 AM
Burning Brakes

anyone have a pdf on how to change out the driver door sensor?
Old 06-29-2011, 04:46 PM
Burning Brakes

Bump. Got new door sensor but not sure how to replace it
Old 07-06-2011, 10:35 PM
B A N N E D

iirc, you gotta pull back the little rubber cover on the outside, and there should be a hidden screw/bolt

OR you might need to get access to it from the inside...
Old 11-17-2011, 08:25 PM
1st Gear

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Found a Fix for this -- for me at least

I just got a 2006 TL that was plagued with this same issue, constantly the dome light would come on and the passenger door sensor would flag as being open. It was horrible. Here's the solution that provided the answer for my problem:

1. When you open the passenger door, there are two round rubber stopper things that prevent the inside of the door from touching the metal frame of the car. My car is black on tan and one stopper is black and one is tan. The upper stopper is the black one. The lower one is the one that presses against the switch/button on the car frame.
  2. Locate the switch/button on the car frame. It's a simple button that sticks out, and it should have a rubber gasket/coating over it. When you press it in the car should register that the door is shut--pretty simple.
  3. The problem is that the stopper is not lining up or staying lined up during driving, with the sensor/switch/button.
  4. Use a phillips screwdriver to remove the door stopper, in my case it's tan, the lower one on the interior side of the passenger door.
  5. Now you need to figure out exactly where the button/switch is striking the door when it's closed, so you can move the stopper there. I didn't have any chalk, so I put a little sprinkle of flower (like cooking flower) on the end of the button/switch. Now shut the door and then open it. You'll see a little trace of flower on the door where the button hit it.
  6. Hopefully it's slightly offset from where the original screw hole was. That tells you that if you move the stopper, you'll fix the problem. In my case I had to move the stopper over about 1/4 inch.
  7. Use a small drill bit to carefully start a small hole right where the flower was. Now just screw the stopper back in to that new hole.
  8. That solved the problem for me!
Good luck and I hope that helps someone.
The following 4 users liked this post by JStandifird:
AcRight08 (12-20-2013), bigg_86 (11-29-2011), gghenry62 (01-21-2015), guneygolf1 (05-03-2023)
Old 01-24-2012, 06:16 PM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by con5tant
Do i just need to replace the door sensor? It's only $5 from the dealership
Can you share the part number and your dealer? I'll purchase it from your dealer. I called the Acura dealer nearest me and the young lady spent 5 minutes asking someone else to help her find the sensor in the system. I just hung up.
Old 02-01-2012, 03:52 PM
1st Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Door Sensor Part Number

I have the same problem as everyone else is describing. Happens in cold weather when things contract. Most noticeable on a cold day when cornering or going over a bump. I live in Florida, so the cold days are few and far between. But it is annoying and I need to get it corrected before I forget about it again for a month.

I just bought the new sensor, and will install when it arrives. It was tricky to find the right part number, so I'll post so it might help others.

Acura PN 35400-S5A-013
The following 2 users liked this post by Neal_FL:
AcRight08 (12-20-2013), bibik (01-04-2023)
Old 02-03-2012, 01:28 PM
'06 NBP TL 5AT NAV

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I also have this problem, but only when I pull a hard left hand turn with or without passengers. It has happened only a few times since I bought the car in '06 and I usually just forget about it until the next time it happens, and then forget again.

I'll go out now while it's still fresh on my mind and check the striker and door sensor.

Thanks A-Zine, thanks OP!
Old 02-28-2012, 10:33 AM
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
I had the exact same problem. Whenever I would take a hard, sweeping right turn, or even push my elbow into my door with a significant amount of force, the door ajar would activate. When sighting the car down the left hand side, I noticed that the door was not properly aligned (i.e. stuck out a little). I adjusted the striker and now the door is aligned and the door ajar issue vanished.
bryrock (08-26-2016)
Old 08-02-2012, 05:11 PM
'08 TL-S 6MT

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Morrissey25
I fixed mine by adjusting the STRIKER ASSY, DOOR LOCK. This let the door shut a little tighter. I haven't had a problem since. The fix took me only a few minutes.
Where is this? Pics? Some ppl have said that they replaced the sensor but I thought the issue comes up due to the stopper not lining up with the sensor. I think my sensor works fine because the light shuts off when I press the switch with my finger.

Also, how is it that the stopper has moved?! or maybe the sensor moved? Gonna investigate and report back!
Old 10-08-2013, 02:50 AM

i had this problem too, if I push on the door hard enough it'll think the door has opened. This usually happened when i have a passenger who leans on the door during a turn. I didnt want to do the ghetto way of fixing it by adding felt and stuff to an unnecessary spot.

My solution was to let the door seal in tighter, so I loosened the door latch on the frame(pop off the black cover), pushed it more inside bye about 2mm, and then re-tightened it. Only took me 2 min. Problem solved!
bryrock (08-26-2016)
Old 12-19-2013, 04:44 AM

problem came back eventually. none of the solutions are working for me. I might need to resort to adding some black foam tape on the door panel so it hits the door sensor more. The issue isn't with the sensor, but I got a new one anyways
Old 04-13-2014, 01:52 PM
Advanced

I just started having this issue also and it's just getting worse n worse and its driving me absolutely crazy!!! I was reading the comments above and it seems like its happening on passenger door... mine however is the driver door.. any suggestions? ??
Old 07-29-2014, 12:15 PM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Em2slow
I just started having this issue also and it's just getting worse n worse and its driving me absolutely crazy!!! I was reading the comments above and it seems like its happening on passenger door... mine however is the driver door.. any suggestions? ??

Started getting the same issue as everyone else in the thread, driver-side door on right turns on 2008 TLS. Now it's almost every slightly-aggressive right turn I make, which is soooo annoying.

Might have to go to dealer for this one ....ugh

Last edited by RedsTL; 07-29-2014 at 12:27 PM.
Old 07-30-2014, 12:31 PM
Cruisin'

Thankfully (or not thankfully LOL) I found others with this issue. I just bought an 07 TL from CarMax and noticed this same behavior when I take a tight right turn and the force of my body goes into the door. My behavior is that it unlocks the door, dings the sound, and turns on the interior light briefly. I have a call into my sales guy as CarMax boasts they will fix anything within 30 days so I will let you know what they find.
And just as the OP stated I have searched google and this site but couldn't find the right words and just happened upon this thread... WIN
Old 08-28-2014, 09:52 AM
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by ajelder01
Thankfully (or not thankfully LOL) I found others with this issue. I just bought an 07 TL from CarMax and noticed this same behavior when I take a tight right turn and the force of my body goes into the door. My behavior is that it unlocks the door, dings the sound, and turns on the interior light briefly. I have a call into my sales guy as CarMax boasts they will fix anything within 30 days so I will let you know what they find.
And just as the OP stated I have searched google and this site but couldn't find the right words and just happened upon this thread... WIN
Did you get it fixed, if so, what was the cure?

I have this issue, just like described by others. During driving, if I take a fast/hard left corner, the light comes on and chimes for door open. Or, if there's a passenger in the car, leaning on the door, a moderately hard left turn will do it. I can also push on the door to get it to register open.

For now, I've just taken the screw out of the door sensor/plunger assembly thing, which has just completely deactivated the sensor. It looks like the plunger and screw are connected by a metal plate, and without the screw in, the circuit isn't complete.

I don't really think it's the sensor itself. I think I'll make sort of a foam/felt gasket to go under the sensor assembly.
Old 08-28-2014, 10:21 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by stm25rs
Did you get it fixed, if so, what was the cure?

I have this issue, just like described by others. During driving, if I take a fast/hard left corner, the light comes on and chimes for door open. Or, if there's a passenger in the car, leaning on the door, a moderately hard left turn will do it. I can also push on the door to get it to register open.

For now, I've just taken the screw out of the door sensor/plunger assembly thing, which has just completely deactivated the sensor. It looks like the plunger and screw are connected by a metal plate, and without the screw in, the circuit isn't complete.

I don't really think it's the sensor itself. I think I'll make sort of a foam/felt gasket to go under the sensor assembly.
I had some delay in scheduling, but I have an appointment to get it fixed next week. They called it a "door switch", but that was the lady scheduling the appointment so not sure that is the technical term. Once I get it fix I will post if it is resolved.
Old 01-21-2015, 04:14 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by ajelder01
I had some delay in scheduling, but I have an appointment to get it fixed next week. They called it a "door switch", but that was the lady scheduling the appointment so not sure that is the technical term. Once I get it fix I will post if it is resolved.
Did you get the problem fixed? I am having the same issue as of a few weeks ago on my 06 TL. Instead of annoying its scary to me. its on the drivers side and I feel like the door is going to come open. I also notice the door is no longer flush with the outside of the car and I hear a little road noise I didn't use to.
Old 01-26-2015, 08:16 PM
4th Gear

Thanks for the information, I am having exact same problem. its on the drivers side, and if i push the door even not driving, it still pops up the alarm (door open). Most thread suggested i need to adjust the door striker. I don't know if that's the problem?
Old 01-30-2015, 03:23 PM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I had the same problem with my 06 TL last year, but it was the door switch. My wife had slammed the door one day and the seat belt latch was caught in the door and crunched the switch. I just replaced it and the problem was gone.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Door Light comes on while driving!