Cost to replace wheel bearing

Old 12-27-2011, 04:53 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cost to replace wheel bearing

The bearing on my front wheel needs replacing. It has been making some noise for quite some time. I am trying to find out how much it would typically cost? Dealer quoted me $360 including $230 labor. One auto shop nearby quoted $200 including labor and part. But, I am not sure what brand of bearing he will use. I am thinking of buying the part myself and getting it replaced. Does anyone have recommendations on what brand I should buy?

Any input on these?

Amazon Amazon

Amazon Amazon
Old 01-01-2012, 08:04 AM
kbh
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I just replaced my left front wheel bearing and went with OEM, about $72 from Delray Acura. The TSX front bearings have a brown magentic strip on the inside face that works with your wheel sensor to provide data for your mileage and speed. The second bearing you list looks like it has a brown strip but the specs don't mention whether or not it is magnetic. There is also something very strange about the weights that they list for each bearing. I estimate the actual bearing weighed about 1.5 pounds.

If I were you, I wouldn't skimp on the cost of the part. The savings come if you're willing to do the replacement work yourself. You need to remove the front knuckle and use a hydraulic press to remove and install a new bearing. I would think a good shop could do it in 1-2 hours. I did it myself with a rented axle puller set from Advance Auto and a 4 lb sledge hammer. I also went ahead and replaced the wheel hub assembly at the same time. You also need to be very careful when removing the speed sensor. I broke mine and it was another $93 to replace that.
Old 01-01-2012, 08:39 AM
Old Guy

Received 161 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by kbh
I just replaced my left front wheel bearing and went with OEM, about $72 from Delray Acura. The TSX front bearings have a brown magentic strip on the inside face that works with your wheel sensor to provide data for your mileage and speed. The second bearing you list looks like it has a brown strip but the specs don't mention whether or not it is magnetic. There is also something very strange about the weights that they list for each bearing. I estimate the actual bearing weighed about 1.5 pounds.

If I were you, I wouldn't skimp on the cost of the part. The savings come if you're willing to do the replacement work yourself. You need to remove the front knuckle and use a hydraulic press to remove and install a new bearing. I would think a good shop could do it in 1-2 hours. I did it myself with a rented axle puller set from Advance Auto and a 4 lb sledge hammer. I also went ahead and replaced the wheel hub assembly at the same time. You also need to be very careful when removing the speed sensor. I broke mine and it was another $93 to replace that.
Agree totally. OE is the only way to go for this kind of stuff.
Old 01-01-2012, 09:04 AM
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
$360 isn't that unreasonable. You can try to save some money if you pull the knuckle out yourself and get the dealer or some shop to press the new one in for you. Just be sure to have a good ball joint remover so you don't crack the rubber boots.
Old 01-03-2012, 03:41 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks

Thanks for the replies. I think I will buy OEM part from the dealer and get it replaced outside (for $120).
Old 01-22-2012, 08:58 AM
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Just be careful where you go outside of the dealership. If you can take pictures of the balljoints (upper and lower) before taking it in. I wouldn't trust most mechanics using the correct balljoint separator since it runs $150+ for the tool. They will most likely use the picklefork which may tear the boot. This will end up costing you more so if you have proof, you can at least cover yourself if you need to take it to court.
The following users liked this post:
Nighthawk04 (05-27-2012)