quick questions: hardwire radar detector, which fuse?

Old 07-26-2009, 08:43 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
quick questions: hardwire radar detector, which fuse?

I searched forum but could not find my answer.
the kits from ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=280270463207
I want to hardwire to interior fuse box (left bottom of driver side), so when car turn off, the radar can also be turned off. Could you guys tell me which fuse (number) should I use? Or you use t-tap to connect to the power cable at map light? If the installing pics (or link) be provided, that will be great!!

Thanks so much!

Last edited by maclion; 07-26-2009 at 08:46 PM.
Old 07-27-2009, 09:05 AM
Site Lurker, Rare poster

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I didn't want to connect to a fuse or use a T-tap as t-taps are unreliable. I just spliced into the wires for the cigarette lighter and it works the same and gives a constant voltage with no issue. Ran the wire up the A-pillar and headliner and rest was history. Takes about 10 minutes or so from start to finish, including soldering.
Old 07-27-2009, 09:51 AM
Cruisin'

Here is a great thread for help. I believe the switched fuses only run power with the car on, but I would run the power through a toggle switch so you have the option of turning the detector off while driving. You never know if you might want it off and its a pretty easy wiring job. Check this thread out for help wiring a switch.
Old 07-27-2009, 03:58 PM
Old Guy

Received 161 Likes on 141 Posts
Don't fool around with cords and fuses and taps and all that. Invisicord (invisicord.com) is the only way to go. It's a cord that plugs into you're detector and into the power for the auto dimming rear view mirror (the only thing that G**D** auto rear view mirror is good for). Works like a charm (and is switched).
Old 07-27-2009, 04:03 PM
Instructor

good idea, but how to run through behind the cigarette lighter? Radar--headliner--A-pillar--and then what?

Originally Posted by sortudo7
I didn't want to connect to a fuse or use a T-tap as t-taps are unreliable. I just spliced into the wires for the cigarette lighter and it works the same and gives a constant voltage with no issue. Ran the wire up the A-pillar and headliner and rest was history. Takes about 10 minutes or so from start to finish, including soldering.
Old 07-27-2009, 05:33 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Here ya go. An oldie but goodie! I updated that other thread too.

The things in that picture are called mini add a circuit. I believe it also has a fuse inline.

Old 07-27-2009, 08:15 PM
Site Lurker, Rare poster

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by maclion
good idea, but how to run through behind the cigarette lighter? Radar--headliner--A-pillar--and then what?
Under the steering wheel you just remove the panels and side panel by the gas pedal. You will see the wires to the lighter and you just splice into them and solder and tape them up. You can then run the direct wire cord up the side A pillar and headliner. It would make it easier to remove that middle cubby/cd holder to see and access the wires. I did mine months ago so can't remember the exact steps but it sounds much more involved than it really is.

cigarette lighter wires--direct wire chord splice--run up a-piller--then through headliner--into radar detector. You don't have to remove all of it but just pop up a side/portion of it to slide the wire into.

I agree that it is nice to have a kill switch incase you want to ever kill the detector but that's your choice to install or not. Also would depend on what detector you have. I am running a Bel RX65 Pro and my boy has a V1 which our boy installed into his Accord the same exact way.
Old 07-27-2009, 09:30 PM
Instructor

Thanks, sortudo7 and Tsx536.

Both are very informative,very good!.

Originally Posted by Tsx536
Here ya go. An oldie but goodie! I updated that other thread too.

The things in that picture are called mini add a circuit. I believe it also has a fuse inline.
Originally Posted by sortudo7
Under the steering wheel you just remove the panels and side panel by the gas pedal. You will see the wires to the lighter and you just splice into them and solder and tape them up. You can then run the direct wire cord up the side A pillar and headliner. It would make it easier to remove that middle cubby/cd holder to see and access the wires. I did mine months ago so can't remember the exact steps but it sounds much more involved than it really is.

cigarette lighter wires--direct wire chord splice--run up a-piller--then through headliner--into radar detector. You don't have to remove all of it but just pop up a side/portion of it to slide the wire into.

I agree that it is nice to have a kill switch incase you want to ever kill the detector but that's your choice to install or not. Also would depend on what detector you have. I am running a Bel RX65 Pro and my boy has a V1 which our boy installed into his Accord the same exact way.
Old 07-28-2009, 12:38 PM
Old Guy

As I said earlier, there's no need to fool around the fuse box or running any wires. The invisicord (which comes in two sizes I think, like 8" or 12", something like that) comes with a modular connection on one end (like the one that plugs into a phone jack and is the connection on every decent radar detector that I know of these days) and the other end has a silver prong on each wire that plugs into the power plug for the mirror. This of course assumes that you'll mount the detector in the most logical place, next to the rear view mirror. Take a look at your mirror (the side that faces the windshield) and you'll see where the power plugs in and where the prongs from the invisicord plug in. Take a look at their website and it should be there too. I have no connection with this company, but I was so thrilled to find something so easy, that I feel have to spread the word. I went through the hardwire BS with my TT, running the wire, the A-pillar mouldings, getting it down through the dashboard to find some power, all that crap. This is so easy, even a caveman could do it.
Old 07-29-2009, 11:00 AM
Instructor

I looked the website, it is very simple installation. however you need to know which is ground, which is power by using eletrometers. do you know which is which? Thanks

Originally Posted by Simba91102
As I said earlier, there's no need to fool around the fuse box or running any wires. The invisicord (which comes in two sizes I think, like 8" or 12", something like that) comes with a modular connection on one end (like the one that plugs into a phone jack and is the connection on every decent radar detector that I know of these days) and the other end has a silver prong on each wire that plugs into the power plug for the mirror. This of course assumes that you'll mount the detector in the most logical place, next to the rear view mirror. Take a look at your mirror (the side that faces the windshield) and you'll see where the power plugs in and where the prongs from the invisicord plug in. Take a look at their website and it should be there too. I have no connection with this company, but I was so thrilled to find something so easy, that I feel have to spread the word. I went through the hardwire BS with my TT, running the wire, the A-pillar mouldings, getting it down through the dashboard to find some power, all that crap. This is so easy, even a caveman could do it.
Old 07-29-2009, 06:24 PM
Old Guy

I looked the website, it is very simple installation. however you need to know which is ground, which is power by using eletrometers. do you know which is which? Thanks
The instructions I recieved with the cord told me which wires (color) to attach the cord to.
Old 07-29-2009, 09:32 PM
Instructor

do you mind telling me which color is ground?
The instructions I recieved with the cord told me which wires (color) to attach the cord to.
Old 07-30-2009, 05:54 PM
Old Guy

do you mind telling me which color is ground?
There are two wires with two prongs coming from the invisicord (a black one and a yellow one). The black prong is I assume the ground and plugs into the wire going to the mirror plug with the white stripe (there are two wires on the plug too).
Old 07-30-2009, 10:38 PM
Instructor

Thanks dude! help me alot!
There are two wires with two prongs coming from the invisicord (a black one and a yellow one). The black prong is I assume the ground and plugs into the wire going to the mirror plug with the white stripe (there are two wires on the plug too).