Stereo 5-Digit Code

Old 08-15-2005, 08:34 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stereo 5-Digit Code

I'm planning on replacing the battery of my 1999 TL, which I bought about a month ago, and reading the manual I discovered that once the battery is unplugged one will need a 5-digit access code to regain use of the radio. I don't have this code nor did the dealer who sold me the car. I contacted a local Acura dealer and they told me that they would charge me $50 just to give me that code because "it's on the back of the radio and they would need to remove it first" (is this for real?). I found that ridicoulous and was wondering if any of you guys knew a site where one can find these code based on vin numbers. Anyone know where I could find such a thing? Thanks a lot!
Old 08-15-2005, 08:46 AM
Need a WHAmbulance

Unless you find the code, the dealer is right, there is no way to get it accept from the radio itself.

Did you look in the pockets of the manual to see if the card with the code on it was in there. My dealer also stuck a code sticker on one of the trunk arms just in case. You may want to look there also. Look on the inside of the glove box, some people have been know to put a sticker there.

Have the dealer call the person who owned it before to find out where or if they still have the code.
Old 08-15-2005, 08:47 AM
NiGhT rIdEr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Esteban
I'm planning on replacing the battery of my 1999 TL, which I bought about a month ago, and reading the manual I discovered that once the battery is unplugged one will need a 5-digit access code to regain use of the radio. I don't have this code nor did the dealer who sold me the car. I contacted a local Acura dealer and they told me that they would charge me $50 just to give me that code because "it's on the back of the radio and they would need to remove it first" (is this for real?). I found that ridicoulous and was wondering if any of you guys knew a site where one can find these code based on vin numbers. Anyone know where I could find such a thing? Thanks a lot!
thats bullshit, they should have gave it to you when you got the car.....the code should be on a little white card.
the code on my card was wrong, so the dealer got it for me at no charge.
btw, the code isnt on the back of the radio, all they do is take off one of those pieces of woodgrain on the side of the radio/ theres a cade there and they run that on their computers.
Old 08-15-2005, 09:06 AM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I thought there was way to get hte serial# from the front of the radio by pressing some sequence of keys. This is how I found it on a 2001 accord. Also, there was a sticker in the glove box with the serial# for the radio that was the same as the one that showed up on the front of the radio when I pressed that special sequence.
Old 08-15-2005, 03:26 PM
Advanced

Thanks, guys, but I looked all over the car and so far found nothing. I have the original manual in perfect shape, leather case and everything, but with NO code card. I thought that maybe Acura dealers kept a database with the VIN numbers and their corresponding 5-digit codes. I would assume that shouldn't be too far fetched. I'm sure SOMEBODY keeps such a database online. I would hate to waste 50 bucks on such a stupid thing when all I wanna do is change the battery, and I also don't want anybody messing with my radio! If any of you guys know anything more about this, I would appreciate any input. Thanks so much!
Old 08-15-2005, 03:35 PM
NiGhT rIdEr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would hate to waste 50 bucks on such a stupid thing when all I wanna do is change the battery!
they are trying to rob you...............go to the dealer that u got the car from and tell them that they never gave u the card!!! ez as that!
Old 08-15-2005, 06:59 PM
My "P" SpAnKs YouR "S"

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pay the 50 bux write the code down put it in a safe place and call it a day.
Old 08-15-2005, 07:34 PM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
The security code is not on the back of the radio unit. That would be pointless, since a thief could steal the radio and have the security code to it, too.

It's the serial number that's on the back of the radio unit, and they will run that number to obtain the security code. On the 6-disc units, I *think* you can get the serial number by pushing 1 and 6 at the same time, but the '99 had the single disc unit, so I'm not sure.
Old 08-15-2005, 09:37 PM
Advanced

How about using jumper cables? Might need a second person to help to make sure the cable stays attached!
Old 08-15-2005, 09:44 PM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by docrob
How about using jumper cables? Might need a second person to help to make sure the cable stays attached!

As stupid as that sounds, it would work.

Secure the jumper cables to another working battery, then unplug the terminals from your battery. But make sure the terminals are still in contact with the jumper cables from the other battery. Swap your old battery with the new, and reattach the terminals.

Good call, doc. I've never thought about that. I got a good laugh out of it.
Old 08-15-2005, 10:54 PM
4th Gear

i just joined this forum after reading tons of interesting stuff about tl's, i came accross yours and my battery died too, i called the dealer and was told that on the inside of the fusebox cover (the one under the hood, not drivers side door) and sure enough there was a 5 digit code that worked, try this maybe you have a code there as well
Old 08-16-2005, 03:49 PM
Advanced

Thanks all for the input! Will look into your suggestions once I get out of the office.
Old 08-16-2005, 04:29 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by bogdan111
i just joined this forum after reading tons of interesting stuff about tl's, i came accross yours and my battery died too, i called the dealer and was told that on the inside of the fusebox cover (the one under the hood, not drivers side door) and sure enough there was a 5 digit code that worked, try this maybe you have a code there as well
not all had that.

Thanks all for the input! Will look into your suggestions once I get out of the office.
if you cant go back to the dealer and have them do it for free (where you bought it)
here is a DIY for the center console removal. do the steps needed to get to the radio and take the serial off your self and save yourself 50 bucks.
http://www.abunchofcars.com/diy_page...er_console.htm
Old 08-16-2005, 06:55 PM
Advanced

i just changed my battery; dealer from where i bought the car from had the code. code doesn't work. i called back today; he says they'll charge $94 to remove the stereo and 'reset' it. RIDICULOUS! I feel like writing Acura a letter.

PS - I never got the letter with the radio code when I bought my 2002 TL-S (May 2001).
Old 08-16-2005, 07:54 PM
My "P" SpAnKs YouR "S"

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mickeyfickey
i just changed my battery; dealer from where i bought the car from had the code. code doesn't work. i called back today; he says they'll charge $94 to remove the stereo and 'reset' it. RIDICULOUS! I feel like writing Acura a letter.

PS - I never got the letter with the radio code when I bought my 2002 TL-S (May 2001).
Dude! thats a rip off. Dont pay that much. They only need the serial # on the back and then they can get you the code.
Old 08-16-2005, 08:58 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts

do you have teh code now? if so unplug the radio antenna from the back and then plug it back in retry the code. many have found the antenna needs to be unplugged for it to work.
Old 08-16-2005, 09:08 PM
Advanced

thx fsttytms1. i called the dealer yesterdyay to get the code, inputted it and it didn't work. i'll try the antenna remedy.
Old 08-17-2005, 04:34 PM
Its all about Hockey !!!

...code because "it's on the back of the radio and they would need to remove it first" ...!
this is quiet interesting.. I thought that the whole purpose of the code is in case the stereo is stolen it can't/shouldn't be used.. but apparently code is right there on the back of it ? that doesn't seem right.
Old 08-17-2005, 05:01 PM
Advanced

ok, latest update for me: i did the "3" and "6" trick (pushing both buttons at the same time) before turning on radio, and kept holding when radio turned on. it gave me some weird #: "U 3000" followed by "L xxxx" . The "xxxx" part was some four digit # that i can't remember. anyways, after that, i entered in my 5 digit code, and it worked. So to those considering removing the antenna method, might wanna try this method too.
Old 08-18-2005, 08:20 AM
Racer

this definitely works for obtaining the code, i've done it in the past but i used the 1 & 6 presets.
Old 08-18-2005, 08:22 AM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
ok, latest update for me: i did the "3" and "6" trick (pushing both buttons at the same time) before turning on radio, and kept holding when radio turned on. it gave me some weird #: "U 3000" followed by "L xxxx" . The "xxxx" part was some four digit # that i can't remember. anyways, after that, i entered in my 5 digit code, and it worked. So to those considering removing the antenna method, might wanna try this method too.
I think "Lxxxx" is the serial number. If you give that to the deal they should be able to look up the code for you. That's how I did it for my accord.
Old 09-08-2005, 01:29 PM
Instructor

Once again, this site has paid for itself - worth every penny I (didn't) pay!! Had bad battery corrosion and the car wouldn't start, so after taking the terminals loose and cleaning them and putting on the corrosion preventer, the radio wouldn't work (of course). Called the dealer, got the code, and it didn't work. Tried again, rechecked the code with the dealer, still no luck. Pulled the side trim panel, and got a sticker (AKxxxxxx) on the side of it. Called the dealer back and they told me they can't look it up that way and give the code out I'd have to bring it in (makes sense, I could have just bought a hot radio). Now I have some options for when I get home. Thanks guys!!!!

BTW - if anyone has a car that just won't start, all you hear is click-click-click when you turn the key, check your battery terminals. If they are coroded, then the high current demanded to crank the engine can't get through, and it'll act like the battery is dead. Clean the terminals, and give it a try......you may not need to buy a battery after all...
Old 09-09-2005, 04:47 AM
Intermediate

Instead of the antenna trick I can confirm that the driving around works. I drove for two blocks, powered on radio and voila the code worked.

Before that I tried the code like 5 times and it never registered. I also tried the pressing 3 and 6 that a forum member suggested but it did nothing. 1 and 6 did nothing too.

My guess is that the antenna for some reason warms up and stops grounding or doing what it is. Good luck. The code the dealer initially gave is probably right.
Old 09-09-2005, 12:17 PM
Instructor

I've punched in that #$% code so many times, the paint's gonna wear off the buttons!! Still no go. I've done it driving, sitting, after start up, and even with the engine off and the just the key on. I tried the 1 & 6 presets thing and got the numbers to come up like mickeyfickey said, still nada!! Oh, and if you're trying to mess with it in the garage at night, MAKE SURE YOU TURN OFF YOUR INSIDE LIGHTS OR THE BATTERY WIL BE DEAD THE NEXT MORNING......yeah, I pulled a bonehead manoeuver...
Old 09-19-2005, 11:05 AM
Instructor

FWIW - Finally got the radio back....the wife stopped by the dealer on the way home, and they printed out a paper showing the radio serial number and the code. Turns out the 2 sets of numbers that come up when you hold the preset 1 & 6 when turning on the radio (V-xxxx, and then L-xxxx) are the serial number - at least the 8 numbers are, forget the V & L. Therefore, if this theory holds out, there is no need to pull the radio to get the serial number. Why the dealer kept giving me the wrong code I don't know, except that at some point in time the radio has been changed...
Old 10-25-2005, 07:21 PM
I don't sleep...I wait

Angry

Tried all the tricks...going for the antenna unplug method. Does anyone know if there is an easier way than removing the entire stereo to unplug the antenna?? Can I just remove one side of the paneling and get my hand back there somehow? If so, I would like to know. Taking apart my entire console sounds like a major pain in the ass!
Old 10-25-2005, 08:29 PM
05 C230K & 09 135i 6MT

Originally Posted by PeteTLS
I've punched in that #$% code so many times, the paint's gonna wear off the buttons!! Still no go. I've done it driving, sitting, after start up, and even with the engine off and the just the key on. I tried the 1 & 6 presets thing and got the numbers to come up like mickeyfickey said, still nada!! Oh, and if you're trying to mess with it in the garage at night, MAKE SURE YOU TURN OFF YOUR INSIDE LIGHTS OR THE BATTERY WIL BE DEAD THE NEXT MORNING......yeah, I pulled a bonehead manoeuver...
I left maplights on for 2 days and my battery was fine. I thought I'd surely done it that time.

Did you have the dome light on, too? Did you know if you leave a door open to your car, the dome light will turn itself out after 7 minutes to preserve battery?

Glad you got it worked out.
Old 11-27-2006, 08:14 PM
1st Gear

i recently changed my battery in my 2002 tl non type s. i didn't have the code anywhere so i looked around on different forums and someone said that the code is on the inside cover of the fuse box, on the passenger side under the hood. i got that number and tried punching it in several times and it still didnt unlock the radio. today, i called the acura dealer from where i got the car and asked them for the code. they gave me the code and i tried that and it didnt work so i called back. the rep at the dealer said that for 01 and 02 tl radios, you HAVE to take out the antenna wire from the back of the radio before entering the code. so i tried this and voila, my radio works.
Old 12-11-2006, 07:11 AM
6th Gear

I am in the process of trying to get my code for the radio. The dealer told me the same as everyone else, I could pay to have them find it, or I could get it myself. I held the 1 and 6 then turned it on, and I got a U3007 then LXXXX. Are those 8 numbers my serial number (as one person mentioned previously), or do I need to pull the entire radio out?
Old 12-11-2006, 07:19 AM
6th Gear

Nevermind the previous post. I just got ahold of the dealer and gave them the 2 numbers combined, and they gave me my code. Worked on the 1st try.

Thanks!!
Old 12-11-2006, 10:11 AM
Intermediate

Hola my fellow acurazine peeps. Well I had the same problem myself, I had to replace my battery on my 03 TL-S with Navi. Now I bought this car used and I had no code for either the radio or Navi. so I was already starting to get fustrated cause I thought I had to pay my Acura dealer $160.00 for them to take my radio out and Navi unit to get my serial number.

Now I know with Acura cars things work differently than on Honda cars, whenever I had to input the radio code on my 99 Honda Accord I will just take my vin number to the parts dept at Honda and they will give me my code at no charge.

With Acura, its different if you loose the code you have to take the radio out to get the serial number.

Here is a cool little trick though. Some Acura dealers or I dont know if the cars come like that from the factory have the code stuck on the fuse box underneath your hood. Whooh luckily I mentioned to the Acura service guy that my radio and Navi unit needed the codes. So he told me "Have you looked in your fuse box underneath your hood?" I was like "No." I looked and there it was both codes, the radio code and Navi code. He said the majority of all Acura cars have them stuck to the top of the fuse box, thats if the previous owners didnt take them off to prevent usage of the radio if it gets stolen or whatever. If they're not there, then your S.O.L.
Old 12-12-2006, 10:35 PM
Intermediate

My code is on the side of my glove box.

So, when I open the glove box, there is a sticker on the outside of it on the left side of the box with the code.

My dealer pointed that out for me.
Old 12-13-2006, 07:10 PM
hates the winter

WOW, thats crazy that they want to charge you $50. lol I called my dealer and told them I didn't get the card when I got the car and they read me the code over the phone for free.
Old 02-25-2007, 08:34 AM
Cruisin'

What about getting the code for the navigation. Does anybody know how to get it aside from going to the dealer and paying a fortune for it?
Old 02-25-2007, 11:33 AM
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I was not given a code for my car radio when I purchased the car *%@*

I then took my car in for an oil change at my nearest dealership, they provided me with the code at no charge, great service!
Old 11-29-2007, 03:38 PM
5th Gear

My battery went dead and the code that the dealership gave me was not right.so i read all the post and i tried the fuse box
and i saw the code and it worked
but i have one problem my navi wasnt working so we got a new one over ebay
and the person didnt give us the code
and i dont know how to find out that code
will it be the same one that was written under the fusebox or different?
Old 11-29-2007, 04:34 PM
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by m.raja
My battery went dead and the code that the dealership gave me was not right.so i read all the post and i tried the fuse box
and i saw the code and it worked
but i have one problem my navi wasnt working so we got a new one over ebay
and the person didnt give us the code
and i dont know how to find out that code
will it be the same one that was written under the fusebox or different?
No, the code in the car will not work on the new navigation unit that you bought. The codes are associated with the individual nav units.

Your local Acura dealer should be able to give you the code based on the unit's serial number. Call them first but they might ask you to bring in the box and your car's registation info to prove that you actually own a TL.
Old 11-29-2007, 06:01 PM
5th Gear

what do you mean by the unit. i just bought a screen does that have a different serial number also?
Old 11-29-2007, 06:35 PM
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by m.raja
what do you mean by the unit. i just bought a screen does that have a different serial number also?
No. I thought you bought a new trunk-mounted navigation unit. Each one of those units has a unique security code.

There is no security code associated with the display screen. So your navigation security code should work fine. I know this for sure as I replaced the nav screen in my TL.

Bob
Old 11-30-2007, 04:28 PM
5th Gear

sorry one more question
i got the code to work and it works perfectly but i have no idea how to change it from the USA
to Canada. is their any thread on it already?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Stereo 5-Digit Code