Acura maintenance costs

Old 06-05-2007, 07:51 AM
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Acura maintenance costs

Quick question from a noob...how are acura's with respect to maintenance costs? I'm cross shopping the LR2, X3, and RDX for my wife, and I would like some honest opinions on how much these things cost to maintain. How frequent are typical oil change intervals? How much do most dealerships charge? What about "big" services (ones where they do more than change the oil)? She currently has a VW touareg, and it's a nightmare. Every 10K miles the maintenance schedule calls for a "big" service that is always in the $400 range. Hell front brakes on the thing cost $860. I'm just trying to get an idea where the RDX is for price comparison to the bimmer and rover.

Thanks!
Todd
Old 06-05-2007, 09:02 AM
Instructor

The maintenance costs would vary depending on the dealer or if you decide not to use the dealer. The dealer I go to has a list price of about $100 for oil changes all inclusive.

The oil change interval depends on the driving style/environment but I've been averaging every 5300-5400 between changes (I've done two).

The on-board computer hasn't indicated a big maintenance check yet, but I'm expecting one around 15,000 miles (I'm at 11,000 miles right now).
Old 06-05-2007, 09:50 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I believe BMW's maintenance costs are included for the first 4 years.
Old 06-05-2007, 09:56 AM
9th Gear

Originally Posted by sasair
Yes maintenance is included w/ BMW and Rover for first 4 years. I'm tryign to determine how much Acura will cost to make a fair comparison. My guess is it adds about $40-50/month to the actual payment when you consider a brake job, oil changes, etc.
Old 06-05-2007, 10:03 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
My first service at 6000 miles was free but I think usual cost at an acura dealer is about $60. My second service around 12000 was $180. Those are the only servicings I have had done.

I don't believe brakes would be covered in standard maintenance, but I also haven't heard about anyone getting their RDX brakes serviced yet.
Old 06-05-2007, 10:42 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Had my very first service done. Paid $34 at the acura dealership in plaza auto mall, brooklyn.

I kinda expected more but not complaining here. =P
Old 06-05-2007, 10:48 AM
Race Director

I know generally speaking Acura has its big service costs at 30k, 60k, 90k and from what I have read around here those are the big $400. I dont have an RDX but this is true for the TL and I from what I can tell its pretty much the same accross all of the Acuras.
Old 06-05-2007, 11:36 AM
9th Gear

Originally Posted by Trackruner228
I know generally speaking Acura has its big service costs at 30k, 60k, 90k and from what I have read around here those are the big $400. I dont have an RDX but this is true for the TL and I from what I can tell its pretty much the same accross all of the Acuras.
I can deal with a $400 service at 30k with minor $60 per oil change. Gotta figure brakes in there somewhere...probably $500ish maybe?

So over a 45k mile lease we have:

$400 - Major Service
$60x9 = $540 - Oil Change
$500 - Brakes
===============
$1440 / 36 months = $40/mo (service)

Does that sound about right?
Old 06-05-2007, 11:50 AM
Undercover Slacker

Another note about Acura dealer service costs, they don't all costs the same. For example, for my 2005 TSX's 10k service, the dealer I bought my car from wanted to charge me $90 + tax... another dealer that I usually bring my car too only charged me $65 (after tax... they also have a better service department IMO). So if possible, call a couple dealers to compare prices.

My 1st oil change = free from dealer (regular cost: $30+tax)
My 10k service = $65 (after tax)
Brakes = don't know yet

Hope that helps.
Old 06-05-2007, 12:00 PM
RDX Tech - Bronze/Ebony

Originally Posted by sasair
Although BMW maintenance costs are included, I would be hesitant in making an apples to apples comparison if you intend to keep your vehicle longer than 50k miles. BMW will only service the vehicle for free if the service indicator says it needs servicing. This means you may go up to 15,000 miles between oil changes. My guess is that BMW will only end up picking up the tab for maybe 3 oil changes and little else.

If you intend to keep your vehicle long-term, I would not go that long between oil changes. About 5,000 miles makes more sense to me, even with synthetic oil. Not intending to start an oil change interval debate here, so please forgive me if one breaks out.
Old 06-05-2007, 12:08 PM
9th Gear

Originally Posted by pmaggan
Although BMW maintenance costs are included, I would be hesitant in making an apples to apples comparison if you intend to keep your vehicle longer than 50k miles. BMW will only service the vehicle for free if the service indicator says it needs servicing. This means you may go up to 15,000 miles between oil changes. My guess is that BMW will only end up picking up the tab for maybe 3 oil changes and little else.

If you intend to keep your vehicle long-term, I would not go that long between oil changes. About 5,000 miles makes more sense to me, even with synthetic oil. Not intending to start an oil change interval debate here, so please forgive me if one breaks out.
I know what you're saying. We will only keep the car for the lease period, so I don't mind the BMW maintenance schedule. I've been driving BMW's for years now, and so far I haven't had any problems (but the longest I've kept one is 4 years). They definitely go about 14k miles between oil changes. Porsche and MB are about the same. In either case, doesn't have an immediate impact on me. If we were keeping the car longer, I would be changing the oil in between BMW intervals just to be safe.
Old 06-05-2007, 01:48 PM
Race Director

Another thing to keep in mind about BMW is that tires are NOT included. We had a family friend who was not happy about that with a Z4 since those tires are VERY expensive. However I dont know about the deal with X3 tires.

I do my granddad has an A6 pushing 100k and he says its been a great car but the maintenance is insane. He said paying 2k for a sevice is normal. So I think its german cars in general that have expensive maintenance costs.
Old 06-05-2007, 02:21 PM
9th Gear

Originally Posted by Trackruner228
Another thing to keep in mind about BMW is that tires are NOT included. We had a family friend who was not happy about that with a Z4 since those tires are VERY expensive. However I dont know about the deal with X3 tires.

I do my granddad has an A6 pushing 100k and he says its been a great car but the maintenance is insane. He said paying 2k for a sevice is normal. So I think its german cars in general that have expensive maintenance costs.
Believe me I Know....just got a bubble in a run flat tire on my 335 coupe. $300 from tirerack! However, tires on the X3 are standard SUV tires I believe. Don't think the RDX woudl be any different.
Old 06-05-2007, 11:09 PM
Racer

Just don't replace your tires with the OEM tires... you just need to find a tire with the same OEM ratings. Tirerack has good comparisons to choose less costly and many times better performing alternatives.
Old 06-07-2007, 09:16 AM
Instructor

My dealer offered an option to pre-pay for scheduled maintenance. I think it was for 4 years or 40,000 miles and supposedly by prepaying you saved something like 15%. I'll try to remember to look through my paper work when I'm at home to see what the cost was - that might give you some idea of what the dealer anticipates the maintenance costs to be.
Old 06-10-2007, 02:53 AM
Safety Car

Received 377 Likes on 234 Posts
Todd,

I'm guessing you are from Philladelphia. If that's the case Piazza Acura pretty much has SE PA blanketed. Here is the service sheet from Piazza Acura Reading:

"A Service" (oil chg, gen insp) : 58.95

"B Service" (oil chg, comprehensive insp) : 99.95

each A or B also comes with a numeral code (ie. A1, B6, etc.) The numeral codes and additional cost:

1 (rotate/bal wheels) : 34.95

2 (replace eng air and cabin filter, insp drive belt) : 146.95

3 (trans fluid chg) : 69.95

4 (replace spark plugs, inspect valve clearance) : 115.95

5 (coolant chg) : 89.95

6 (rear diff fluid chg) : 90.95

I bought the RDX Service Manual and intend to do routine service myself (I have already done an A1), so I cannot comment on the dealer experience, other than they are very helpful with info and advice.

Touareg, the hot girlfriend who comes on to your buds.

I am a former Touareg enthusiast. My wife drove an 04 V-8 for 3+ years. We loved the acceleration (like it was tied to a locomotive that was falling off a cliff), the near sport sedan handling, and the beautiful wood/leather/aluminum interior with those cool integral baby sun-shades.

But the beast was eating us alive with maintenance. Dead battery, mis-alignment, worn tires, leaking fluids, dead control modules, stepper motor, harsh shifting...and that was the first three months. I could have Lemoned the car several times over-- many owners did-- but we loved it.

After Warranty expiration came the failed headlight range controller, burnt xenon bulbs, water pump and timing belt, and then trans trouble.

When the love affair ended I could not find a better replacement for the Touareg's virtues (with none of it's flaws) than the RDX. It's faster, more agile and safer (IIHS) than the Touareg. Seven months now and 8500 miles with NO problems...none...zip...I sleep at night again. I feel like I don't deserve this...where did the abuse go?

I bought a Honda mower and I love that too.

I wouldn't presume to tell you what to do, but at least consider that the BMW and especially the Land Rover have consistent, below average reliabilty scores, and you may find yourself in the same love/hate relationship...and paid more for it.
Old 06-11-2007, 07:08 AM
9th Gear

Thanks! That is fantastic information. I generally agree about the t-reg. The interior is super comfortable and gorgeous. We only had the v6, so the power was so-so, but the ride was fantastic. We had a bunch of the same problems you mentioned. It's going back in for an "airbag fault" for the 3rd time tomorrow. The odometer has 49,7xx miles on it, so I can't wait for the d@mn thing to explode after it ticks over 50k. I hope my wife likes the RDX, because so far I think it's the front runner (despite my love of BMWs). I'm a die-hard bmw enthusiast. I've become active in the BMWCCA and so far have done quite a few performance driving events (doing Summit Point this weekend with the PCA ). But my wife is going into her residency as a doctor next spring, and we need a car that has no reliability uncertainties. I'm sure the bimmer woudl be fine (i've had zero problems in 6 years and 4 different bmws), but I don't want to risk it. We shall see. Thanks for the maintenance prices!

Originally Posted by XLR8R
Todd,

I'm guessing you are from Philladelphia. If that's the case Piazza Acura pretty much has SE PA blanketed. Here is the service sheet from Piazza Acura Reading:

"B Service" (oil chg, comprehensive insp) : 99.95

each A or B also comes with a numeral code (ie. A1, B6, etc.) The numeral codes and additional cost:

1 (rotate/bal wheels) : 34.95

2 (replace eng air and cabin filter, insp drive belt) : 146.95

3 (trans fluid chg) : 69.95

4 (replace spark plugs, inspect valve clearance) : 115.95

5 (coolant chg) : 89.95

6 (rear diff fluid chg) : 90.95

I bought the RDX Service Manual and intend to do routine service myself (I have already done an A1), so I cannot comment on the dealer experience, other than they are very helpful with info and advice.

Touareg, the hot girlfriend who comes on to your buds.

I am a former Touareg enthusiast. My wife drove an 04 V-8 for 3+ years. We loved the acceleration (like it was tied to a locomotive that was falling off a cliff), the near sport sedan handling, and the beautiful wood/leather/aluminum interior with those cool integral baby sun-shades.

But the beast was eating us alive with maintenance. Dead battery, mis-alignment, worn tires, leaking fluids, dead control modules, stepper motor, harsh shifting...and that was the first three months. I could have Lemoned the car several times over-- many owners did-- but we loved it.

After Warranty expiration came the failed headlight range controller, burnt xenon bulbs, water pump and timing belt, and then trans trouble.

When the love affair ended I could not find a better replacement for the Touareg's virtues (with none of it's flaws) than the RDX. It's faster, more agile and safer (IIHS) than the Touareg. Seven months now and 8500 miles with NO problems...none...zip...I sleep at night again. I feel like I don't deserve this...where did the abuse go?

I bought a Honda mower and I love that too.

I wouldn't presume to tell you what to do, but at least consider that the BMW and especially the Land Rover have consistent, below average reliabilty scores, and you may find yourself in the same love/hate relationship...and paid more for it.
Old 06-11-2007, 03:58 PM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I always get the dealers to throw in 6 (or more) free oil changes too. That might help with some costs.
Old 06-12-2007, 08:39 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by ToddPhilly
We had a bunch of the same problems you mentioned. It's going back in for an "airbag fault" for the 3rd time tomorrow. The odometer has 49,7xx miles on it...
For what it's worth:

Three unsuccessful attempts to resolve a (Warranty) problem trigger the Lemon Law in PA. Your Touareg is still in Warranty and thus should be eligible.

There are several ways Lemon complaints can be satisfied. You may receive a new vehicle, or cash compensation for "loss of service". You may alternately receive cash compensation under the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act for "degraded value". A Lemon Law attorney can provide counsel at no cost.

The prospect of suing may be distasteful (it is to me), but in our litigation-happy society the process is nearly painless. The Lemon attorney can handle everything over the phone and fax and then take his cut from the award.

I filed on behalf of my in-laws and they received $3800 compensation (Mag-Moss) for problems with their (Certified-used) Buick.

I wish now I had done the Touareg, as I probably could have received a new vehicle which would have had a higher trade value. Some Touareg owners have Lemoned twice; Lemon attorneys are very familiar with the Touareg.

Good luck racing!
Old 06-12-2007, 11:54 AM
9th Gear

For what it's worth:

Three unsuccessful attempts to resolve a (Warranty) problem trigger the Lemon Law in PA. Your Touareg is still in Warranty and thus should be eligible.

There are several ways Lemon complaints can be satisfied. You may receive a new vehicle, or cash compensation for "loss of service". You may alternately receive cash compensation under the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act for "degraded value". A Lemon Law attorney can provide counsel at no cost.

The prospect of suing may be distasteful (it is to me), but in our litigation-happy society the process is nearly painless. The Lemon attorney can handle everything over the phone and fax and then take his cut from the award.

I filed on behalf of my in-laws and they received $3800 compensation (Mag-Moss) for problems with their (Certified-used) Buick.

I wish now I had done the Touareg, as I probably could have received a new vehicle which would have had a higher trade value. Some Touareg owners have Lemoned twice; Lemon attorneys are very familiar with the Touareg.

Good luck racing!
I hear you. I thought about trying lemon law. My wife's grandmother bought the car in Colorado, then moved here. It was transferred to Amy, so I thought the whole thing would have gotten very complex. Not really worth the time. It's a lease, and the lease is up in a few months. I'll gladly return it...if it still runs.

Thanks for all the great advice though! Shame you HAD to know all this!

Take care
Old 06-13-2007, 05:14 PM
Intermediate

Todd,

I believe the amount will be higher because Acura recommends Mobile 1 oil for their turbo.
Old 06-13-2007, 07:48 PM
08 RDX CBP/Taupe/Base

Does anyone know the breakdown of the Acura dealers charges for servicing an RDX in Canada over the 4 year warranty period?What services and what costs?
Is this information published anywhere?
Thanks
Old 06-14-2007, 11:23 AM
Race Director

Another thing that might be helpful is caranddriver. They recently did a 40,000 mile test on a Honda Rideline and said they didnt even spend $400 the whole time it was there. If you think Acura is expensive go to Honda they will work on it for you.
Old 06-16-2007, 02:56 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by jackdiamondss
Todd,

I believe the amount will be higher because Acura recommends Mobile 1 oil for their turbo.
The price quoted is with Mobil 1.
Old 07-31-2007, 11:08 AM
Advanced

I just scheduled service for A 1 2, $289.90 at elite in Mapleshade NJ. The dealer closest to my house wanted $440. but also wanted to change the spark plugs which is not neccesary
Old 07-31-2007, 09:36 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by Madison3
The maintenance costs would vary depending on the dealer or if you decide not to use the dealer. The dealer I go to has a list price of about $100 for oil changes all inclusive.

The oil change interval depends on the driving style/environment but I've been averaging every 5300-5400 between changes (I've done two).

The on-board computer hasn't indicated a big maintenance check yet, but I'm expecting one around 15,000 miles (I'm at 11,000 miles right now).
Mine cost about $45 or less I think...