Nav Screen won't turn on

Old 08-22-2008, 11:09 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nav Screen won't turn on

In the last month and a half or so the Nav screen on my '08 started to pick and choose if it felt like turning on when I started up the RDX.

When it chose to remain off, I could coax into coming on by pushing the Display Mode button (the one with the quarter moon symbol on it) a few times, or scrolling between Map and Audio display modes.

Lately though (most of this week), the Nav screen has been deciding more and more to not turn on when I start the RDX, and no matter how much I push the Display Mode button, or try to scroll between the Map and Audio display modes I can't get it to turn on.

Has anyone else had this problem? I am going to call my dealership to schedule an A service since that message just appeared on the MID, and tell them about this problem, but am hoping someone else has experienced this and can shed some light on the fix.

Thanks.
Old 08-22-2008, 03:17 PM
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
My Nav screen only shows a splash screen followed by a disclaimer when I turn the car on. Then it turns off after a few seconds. When I want to use the screen I use the buttons, ie. menu, or audio, or map, etc. I dont think the Nav turns on unless you turn it on manually. Does the screen work in reverse for the camera? If its defective your warranty would cover this.
Old 08-22-2008, 05:36 PM
Banned

When it works, my Nav screen starts up with the splash screen and then goes to the disclaimer/warning screen also. If I don't hit the Enter button it will turn off automatically after 20 or 30 seconds.

What is happening now though is that when I start the RDX, the screen never comes on. I don't see the splash screen or the warning screen at all. It's just blank. If I hit the Enter button about 20 seconds after I start it up I can hear the confirmation beep for the disclaimer screen but still nothing shows up on the screen.

This problem better be covered under the warranty. The RDX is not even 4 months old yet.
Old 08-23-2008, 12:17 PM
Cruisin'

I have the same exact problem. Radio goes on, it is just the screen remains blank. Like you say, I can then cycle through the display mode button and it usually will then come on. I am sure this is covered under warranty, but I just haven't taken it in yet. I have 5,000 miles on mine.
Old 08-23-2008, 06:25 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by mwsss
I have the same exact problem. Radio goes on, it is just the screen remains blank. Like you say, I can then cycle through the display mode button and it usually will then come on. I am sure this is covered under warranty, but I just haven't taken it in yet. I have 5,000 miles on mine.
Both of you guys have a warranty issue. If you push the button when the disclaimer screen comes on, the screen stays on. If you don't, the screen turns off in about 20 seconds.
Old 08-25-2008, 02:33 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by chipt911
Both of you guys have a warranty issue. If you push the button when the disclaimer screen comes on, the screen stays on. If you don't, the screen turns off in about 20 seconds.
I realize it should be a fix covered under warranty, I was just wondering if anyone else has already experienced this and got it solved so that I could use that knowledge and guide my dealer instead of the potential hit and miss diagnosis that is innevitable with intermittent problems.

I have an appointment for an A service on Friday morning and have told them about the Nav screen problem. I'll report back and let you know what (if anything) they find.
Old 08-25-2008, 03:05 PM
Cruisin'

Please do let me know what they find out. I would greatly appreciate the info! Good Luck.
Old 08-29-2008, 09:02 AM
Banned

So I just got back from the dealer after taking the RDX in this morning for it's first A Service. I described to them the problem with the Nav screen so they could take a look at it and see what they could find.

Of course, the Nav screen did a fantastic job of making me look like a complete loon by working perfectly the entire time it was at the dealer. Maybe the visit scared it straight.

The "Fixed Operations Manager" spent some time with me trying to recreate the problem to no avail. In the end they said that they need some time to search the Acura Techline and put the feeler out within the service network to see if anyone else has run into this problem and what they did to fix it.

If they can't find any other references to this problem elsewhere, the dealership is going to submit a request to replace the Nav system. I plan on stopping in to the dealer the next time the Nav screen acts up so they can it for themselves (the dealership is only a 10 minute drive from my house).

I'll update the thread as events unravel.
Old 09-30-2008, 09:50 AM
Cruisin'

I am taking my car in for some service on Monday (10-6) and have asked them to check out my Nav System as we've described. I'll post results.
Old 10-07-2008, 06:59 AM
Cruisin'

Go figure....Nav system worked like a charm for the dealer. Had car all day and not once did it act up. Dealer told me to bring it in next time it happens. If I thik of it, I might do a video stream with my phone the next few times I start just in case...so the dealer doesn't think I am nuts.
Old 10-03-2014, 01:23 AM
1st Gear

i know it's a very old thread but while search for this issue i landed here. I have the exact same issue on my 2008 MDX. It started 2 months ago. Sometimes the screen turns on as i start the MDX but other time it will stay black. What i do notice is that it is just the backlight on the NAvi screen because if i put a torch to it i can see the splash screen and then the warning message very dim on the screen. Toggling the display mode (half moon) button a few times (3 - 30 times a different occasions) will turn it on. if any of you found a solution to this please share. I know i am way out of warranty so it is going to be fix out of my pocket.
Old 12-06-2014, 10:30 AM
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Similar issue with 05 rl, didnt hit the ok button a few times after start up and now the screen is backlit black. Everything ive read suggested a bad dvd unit in the trunj, but why did it work fine until i didnt press the ok button a few times?
Old 01-15-2019, 05:34 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by esmdx
i know it's a very old thread but while search for this issue i landed here. I have the exact same issue on my 2008 MDX. It started 2 months ago. Sometimes the screen turns on as i start the MDX but other time it will stay black. What i do notice is that it is just the backlight on the NAvi screen because if i put a torch to it i can see the splash screen and then the warning message very dim on the screen. Toggling the display mode (half moon) button a few times (3 - 30 times a different occasions) will turn it on. if any of you found a solution to this please share. I know i am way out of warranty so it is going to be fix out of my pocket.
2007 acura mdx navigation... I'm having same problem the disclaimer comes on, then nothing. Screen goes blank.. ty in advance.