2015/2016 RDX Refresh?

Old 10-26-2013, 10:38 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2015/2016 RDX Refresh?

Hi Everyone,

I am new to the forum and really found some of your posts insightful and interesting. I learned quite a bit.

Does anyone know if there is going to be a slight refresh to the RDX? I'm hoping maybe the Accords Earth Dreams Engine, power tailgate on base and rear vents? I think reading through the forum and other sites, these are the biggest pet peeves. Anyone know of anything going on?

Thanks
Old 10-27-2013, 02:08 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I am waiting for the refresh model before purchase unless I can get a good deal on a used one. I learned from first hand experience the majority of annoying problems tend to be fixed by the time the MMC comes out. My 04 TSX ,though reliable, has had a bit too many annoying problems all but solved by the MMC 06 model.

As for the 06, I hope they can put some real AC vents in the rear instead of the floor. I hope the VCM oil burning problem don't creep up on the RDX like other models.
Old 10-27-2013, 02:41 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
badboy....There will be a refresh on the RDX, all models get their MMC around year 3, so I would say that the MY 2016 would likely be the model that will receive the refresh. The million dollar question is what will the MMC bring....Everyone will speculate but we won't until much closer to release time.
The following users liked this post:
TLtrigirl (11-28-2013)
Old 10-27-2013, 08:54 PM
Intermediate

I think they went a bit off on the RDX. The Accord should not have more features than the RDX but it does. I don't care too much about the lane watch but come on, power tailgate?

I have heard nothing but good things about the VCM
Old 10-28-2013, 09:27 AM
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
In my opinion it would be very unwise not to make any changes this year.

Simple things like Pearl LED drls should be added to all models, Lane Change / Collision / etc... should be added to the tech package. Raise the price $300-500 on the base and another $200 on the tech to accommodate the new additions.

Taking a page from the Germans and offering a couple of additional non-standard colors for $500 more may be nice too. Maybe offer some tire size upgrades too for an additional cost.

I can also see them bringing a hybrid version next Fall with the Accord Hybrid engine.

As far as adding the new engine or a SH AWD version they can wait until 2016

They kind of have to added the LED DRLs since every other luxury brand has some kind of LED DRL. Since Honda has them it is something they have to do since Acura is a step above.

When people look at the X3 and Q5 vs the RDX they should not feel the Acura is inferior because of some bells an whistles. Remember the avg luxury buyer does not know crud about engine power / performance but cares more about the look and luxury features. If they drive into the valet lane and are the only car without the LED DRLs they may choose not to buy such a car.

Last edited by wildeklave; 10-28-2013 at 09:32 AM.
Old 10-28-2013, 09:30 AM
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
The current RDX was such a deviation from the '12 RDX that weather is probably right that they will likely wait until '16 for the MMC. I'm not expecting substantial changes considering the "All New MDX" seems a lot more like the new RDX than the old MDX.
Old 10-28-2013, 10:56 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by badboymn
I think they went a bit off on the RDX. The Accord should not have more features than the RDX but it does.
This is one thing that is a little troubling to me. I have been seriously looking at the RDX, but have been sort of bouncing back and forth between a sedan (Accord V6) or an SUV (RDX, probably w/o tech).

I would really like the higher ride, AWD and added cargo space that an SUV provides, but I am having a little difficulty justifying the added initial expense, lower mpg and lack of ability to use regular gas without performance loss. Then when I see that I can get a V6 Accord without navigation but which still has an 8 inch camera/data screen, rear a/c vents and also has a passenger side blind spot camera (which I feel is more important on a vehicle like the RDX which has somewhat less visibility, IMO), I really wonder if the trade-off is worth it for me. Plus the Accord isn't as wide as the RDX and fits in my garage better :-).
Old 10-28-2013, 11:15 AM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
refreshs occur early to spur sales. the RDX is suffering from nothing. it's selling very well. dont' expect change soon.
Old 10-28-2013, 12:50 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by BLACK RAVEN
refreshs occur early to spur sales. the RDX is suffering from nothing. it's selling very well. dont' expect change soon.
just curious if adding LED DRLs, blind spot monitoring, and collision assistance is considered change or refresh? To me it is not but based on some comments it sounds like because the vehicle is selling well it is better not to make any changes other than a new color.
Old 10-28-2013, 03:26 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by wildeklave
just curious if adding LED DRLs, blind spot monitoring, and collision assistance is considered change or refresh? To me it is not but based on some comments it sounds like because the vehicle is selling well it is better not to make any changes other than a new color.
I wonder if they'll do that with an Advance model. But that might put the price too close to a base MDX even though they're completely different cars.
Old 10-28-2013, 03:58 PM
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by wildeklave
what you said makes sense for us consumers, but i don't think Acura would add LED DRL just one or two model years ahead of of MMC refresh, it doesn't make any financial sense on Honda/Acura.
Old 10-29-2013, 08:12 AM
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
It would be nice to see some of the new tech on the refresh. Even the new Nissan Rogue offers items like Blind Spot Monitor, Lane Departure Warning, Around-View monitor, etc. Others like the Kia Sorento, Hyundai Santa Fe, Ford Escape, etc also have some of these.

And the RDX is in a higher class than those models. It's disappointing that the Tech package on the RDX doesn't include a single item that would be considered an advanced piece of technology.

Last edited by TyroneBiggums; 10-29-2013 at 08:16 AM.
Old 10-29-2013, 09:13 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by kevTL888
what you said makes sense for us consumers, but i don't think Acura would add LED DRL just one or two model years ahead of of MMC refresh, it doesn't make any financial sense on Honda/Acura.
Now that the RLX and MDX are out with these features I would like to see Acura add them across the board. When Mercedes, BMW, and Lexus added LED DRLs they did it for all their models. You don't see some of their models with LED DRLs and some without.
Old 10-29-2013, 10:49 AM
2021 RDX A SPEC

Received 308 Likes on 189 Posts
^^ well...Acura has to get rid of the models that have halogen headlights as well... why would I buy a 'tier 2 or whatever' luxury brand to get cloth interior and halogens?
Old 11-03-2013, 09:04 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 159 Likes on 100 Posts
Don't forget about the Earth Dreams engine, if Acura adds this and other items mentioned, I will consider trading in my MDX. If they don't add these, I will consider the new TLX if it has the ED engine and goodies.

If Acura F's up, they may loose me as a long term customer. My 2014 Ford Escape (Company Vehicle) has many more features and tech over the current RDX. Acura not only needs to play catch up, they need to lead the pack like they used to. Come on Honda, I hope you are listening, but you are making me consider leaving the family.
Old 11-09-2013, 01:29 PM
Intermediate

For me the earth dreams is a must. I haven't bought the RDX yet due to that. I want to get it, I am holding out. I don't want to move to the MDX not because of the price but the bulk. Power tailgate, rear vents and ED is mandatory. Car companies need to quickly realize that the navigation systems they put in there vehicles sucks. Wanna add an option? A CD player. I would rather have a Hard drive/USB to play music.
Gen4MDX (11-09-2013)
Old 11-09-2013, 01:55 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by badboymn
For me the earth dreams is a must. I haven't bought the RDX yet due to that. I want to get it, I am holding out. I don't want to move to the MDX not because of the price but the bulk. Power tailgate, rear vents and ED is mandatory. Car companies need to quickly realize that the navigation systems they put in there vehicles sucks. Wanna add an option? A CD player. I would rather have a Hard drive/USB to play music.
^^^^^^^^
What he said!

I am sitting at my local dealership getting a LOF and tire rotation, the service advisor tried talking me into getting the B1-6 service for $349, which includes rear differential fluid change, ummm No Thank You, my X doesn't quite have 10k miles. How much for the rear diff change? $125, ummm no service code has popped up I say, he says well it usually pops up about 14k, ok I say, but you want me to get it done now? Well you have to look at time in service 2.5 years he says, well I will wait for the computer to tell me it needs it done.
Jeesh

I proceed to tell him my X uses about 1 quart of oil every 3-4k, he says this is normal and that they all use oil, I dispute this as None of my previous Hondas or Acura's have burned a drop, he asks if they were all 4 cylinders, yes I say, oh that is why he says. So, he says 1 qt every 1k is acceptable, I laugh in his face and say really, you want me to drive down the road blowing a smoke screen if this is acceptable? He shuts up.

Last edited by Gen4MDX; 11-09-2013 at 02:01 PM.
Old 11-27-2013, 08:10 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thinking about it now, I'm an idiot for buying the '13 RDX (base fwd)... After the having a '14 RDX (tech) loaner car, I regret getting the base. The power tailgate is super handy (or maybe I'm just lazy), but it's great. It's lacking so much from the Accord... If they add the jewel eye LED's and stuff that the Accord has, I'm going to upgrade for sure. But seriously, a car like 35k should have power tailgate and HID's. I feel like Honda/Acura is spending more time on Honda than Acura.
Old 11-27-2013, 09:22 PM
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
I'd like to see rear parking sensors and side blind zone assist. A programmable tailgate would be nice as well as the rear vents I've seen other people mention.
Old 11-28-2013, 02:37 AM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
Originally Posted by BLACK RAVEN
This is (one of) Acura's problems.. they wait until sales drop then they decide they need to do something. Lots of competition in this segment and the coming MKC may take some sales.

Originally Posted by tsturbo
^^^^^^^^
What he said!

I am sitting at my local dealership getting a LOF and tire rotation, the service advisor tried talking me into getting the B1-6 service for $349, which includes rear differential fluid change, ummm No Thank You, my X doesn't quite have 10k miles. How much for the rear diff change? $125, ummm no service code has popped up I say, he says well it usually pops up about 14k, ok I say, but you want me to get it done now? Well you have to look at time in service 2.5 years he says, well I will wait for the computer to tell me it needs it done.
Jeesh

I proceed to tell him my X uses about 1 quart of oil every 3-4k, he says this is normal and that they all use oil, I dispute this as None of my previous Hondas or Acura's have burned a drop, he asks if they were all 4 cylinders, yes I say, oh that is why he says. So, he says 1 qt every 1k is acceptable, I laugh in his face and say really, you want me to drive down the road blowing a smoke screen if this is acceptable? He shuts up.
Honda recently lost a class action lawsuit on this issue with their V6. But it only applied to some V6's, not sure if the RDX V6 is one of them.
Old 11-28-2013, 09:35 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Rocket_man
This is (one of) Acura's problems.. they wait until sales drop then they decide they need to do something. Lots of competition in this segment and the coming MKC may take some sales.

Honda recently lost a class action lawsuit on this issue with their V6. But it only applied to some V6's, not sure if the RDX V6 is one of them.
I am liking what I read about the MKC. If the pricing is similar I will probably end up in that vs. the Acura. Plus Lincoln offers 2 years and 24k miles of free scheduled maintenance.
Old 11-28-2013, 08:37 PM
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocket_man

It's not, as the RDX has the new gen motor. They are talking about the Honda V6s with the deactivating cylinders in the Accord and Odyssey. Not sure about the Pilot.
Rocket_man (11-29-2013)
Old 11-28-2013, 10:06 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 88 Posts
I wonder what type of output can be made with ED and premium fuel.
Old 11-28-2013, 10:18 PM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
There is some discussion about the Honda engine recall on this thread:

https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-rdx-2013-2018-404/honda-class-action-lawsuit-3-5l-vcm-engines-898539/
Rocket_man (11-29-2013)
Old 12-02-2013, 09:09 PM
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Yes, the recall includes several model years of the Pilot. The problem listed in the class action was definitely present in the 2009 Pilot - I should be seeing a refund for several spark plugs.
Old 12-02-2013, 09:40 PM
Cruisin'

When do you guys think we gonna learn anything new about 2015 changes? Thanks.
Old 12-03-2013, 08:52 AM
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Don't hold your breath for much in the way of changes. Current model is selling well, they just did the MDX and the TLX is in the works for next year.
Old 12-03-2013, 09:05 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,276 Likes on 951 Posts
Originally Posted by BlackDogRDX
Don't hold your breath for much in the way of changes. Current model is selling well, they just did the MDX and the TLX is in the works for next year.
Who knows with Honda/Acura these days.

The 2012 Civic was panned by reviewers as being the worst Civic ever but it had stellar sales. They changed it for 13 and the reviewers loved it. Sales are strong. Now they are doing another revision for '14.
Old 12-05-2013, 11:54 PM
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
With 2013 Wrapping Up, Time to Speculate Some More

Originally Posted by SM05
When do you guys think we gonna learn anything new about 2015 changes? Thanks.
Well it would appear I may hold off on the Macan given just the two models of it being offered in 2014.

With that in mind anyone care to speculate re. SM05's above question & what, IF any MMC we may see?

Last edited by RDXinNETX; 12-05-2013 at 11:56 PM.
Old 12-06-2013, 01:43 AM
Banned

Received 113 Likes on 91 Posts
Even the 2014 EX-L Civic which I may be trading my TL on gets lane watch, Honda app for iOS and Android so it can use the phones navi, Siri, Google Now interface. The deck Looks awesome in '14.

http://vtec.net/news/news-item?news_item_id=1171489

Old 12-09-2013, 07:35 AM
5th Gear

What I'd like to see for a change which probably won't happen is why can't there be a 10 way adjustable passenger seat? Even in the MDX, to get power lumbar for the passenger you have to get the top model. That just baffles me. Why have two different front seat controls?
Old 12-09-2013, 08:36 AM
Racer

Received 234 Likes on 82 Posts
I wouldn't expect to see rear vents, or power tailgate on base models, that's part of the selling point of the tech package. The cabin of the RDX is currently FAR from luxury in my opinion.

What the MMC needs to include is LDW, FCW, BSI, and Different rims for Tech package, and for both a big front and rear change to differentiate it from the MDX more.
Old 12-09-2013, 09:39 PM
10th Gear

I think they must finally include fog lamps in the base model. Now it must be purchased separately and installed. That runs around $500 to $550 and required removal of most of the front end! Ridiculous. There are plenty of $23,000 cars out there that include fog lamps as standard equipment. Honda cars costing $25k all have them. Why should a $35,000 "luxury compact SUV" (Consumer Reports classification) not include them?
Old 12-10-2013, 06:42 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Corey_Straker
What the MMC needs to include is LDW, FCW, BSI, and Different rims for Tech package, and for both a big front and rear change to differentiate it from the MDX more.
^^^^^^^
This
Old 02-26-2014, 09:14 AM
1st Gear

It looks like I may jump ship. I was looking at the 2014 RDX and trading in my 2003 MDX but the RDX has no new features or technology. Then I came across the MKC and it beats RDX on price and has everything the RDX doesn't have. I am taking in my MDX to my Acura dealer tomorrow and see if they know anything about the 2015 RDX
Old 02-26-2014, 10:17 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by videofx
It looks like I may jump ship. I was looking at the 2014 RDX and trading in my 2003 MDX but the RDX has no new features or technology. Then I came across the MKC and it beats RDX on price and has everything the RDX doesn't have. I am taking in my MDX to my Acura dealer tomorrow and see if they know anything about the 2015 RDX
Good luck and please share what you find out. My guess is we may hear something in about a month before the NY Auto Show. A fully loaded MKC is around $47k. If Acura adds all the features that the RLX and MDX has in the advanced trim the RDX will be similarly priced. I think the features add about $4-5k to the sticker price.
Old 02-26-2014, 10:27 AM
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by bigwavedave
I think they must finally include fog lamps in the base model. Now it must be purchased separately and installed. That runs around $500 to $550 and required removal of most of the front end! Ridiculous. There are plenty of $23,000 cars out there that include fog lamps as standard equipment. Honda cars costing $25k all have them. Why should a $35,000 "luxury compact SUV" (Consumer Reports classification) not include them?
Back around 2007 I remember all Acura's came standard with Xenon headlights. The 1st generation RDX had fog lights standard also.

It doesnt make sense. They are reducing the quality of the Acura brand, but at the same time the Honda brand is improving.
Old 02-26-2014, 10:34 AM
OG

Received 162 Likes on 100 Posts
I agree with all the "missing" items on the RDX but regardless of the complaints WE ALL bought it the way it sits AND it's hitting record sales highs...

So i think complaining on a forum vs NOT buying the car is the way to spark change...

If i wanted lots of "cool toys" and no power i could have bought a 2014 rogue lol
KJW73 (02-26-2014)
Old 02-26-2014, 10:54 AM
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by ottoman101
Back around 2007 I remember all Acura's came standard with Xenon headlights. The 1st generation RDX had fog lights standard also.

It doesnt make sense. They are reducing the quality of the Acura brand, but at the same time the Honda brand is improving.
You have to understand that the earlier RDX's failed from a marketing perspective so when the 2013 was introduced Acura was trying to make the RDX be an entry vehicle to the brand. They were trying to lure a wide audience that otherwise would not be interested in the brand. The plan was to get those looking at the regular brands to consider a premium brand while at the same time get cost conscious buyers from other premium brands to jump ship. That left a narrow price point which caused Acura to have to trim the amenities. Since Acura has enjoyed high brand loyalty the thinking was the buyer would return to buy another Acura when the time came to replace the RDX. Obviously due to some buyers displeasure with the compromises it is not working out as well as was planned.

Last edited by GRDX; 02-26-2014 at 11:00 AM.
Old 02-26-2014, 02:32 PM
2014 RDX Tech AWD

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ottoman101

I was really surprised to learn that the RDX base model doesn't come with HIDs or fog lights. There are still 2nd GEN TLs out there with HIDs. Seems like Honda is desperate to get a head of the pack (even Hyundai's and Kia's come with LEDs, etc.) and are willing to sacrifice Acura in the interim. I have NO complaints about my RDX; but I will say that my 05 TL had more/same technology and seemed more quality built - but I was willing to give that up because I wanted a new, different ride. ;-)

Best,
K

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2015/2016 RDX Refresh?