AcuraZine Community - View Single Post - Clean Your Transmission Screen!
View Single Post
Old 05-25-2005, 5:05 PM  
hrtrworms
Registered Member
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: (0)
Post Clean Your Transmission Screen!

I was not aware that the transmission screen could be cleaned or replaced on 1st Gen. TL's. I was quite surprised when I saw an oil pan on the bottom of my transmission. I had always been told that Honda products didn't use a filter. Wrong. The screen is so fine, it might as well be a filter.

My 96 TL with 170,000 miles was experiencing a flare on the 3-4 shift (sometimes), and also in cold weather the transmission sometimes didn't want to go into gear. Cleaning the screen resolved my problems. I purchased a new pan gasket ($13), and cleaned the filter. Extremely easy procedure.

This is a new filter (Note, this is a 2.5 filter). The screen is so fine it is almost transparent. It is visible through the small suction hole. That dimple is behind the screen

Click the image to open in full size.

My screen was really plugged. This is what it looked like after a finger was wiped across the screen.

Since they gave me the wrong screen, I cleaned the old one. This worked quite well.

It was extremely easy, and totally resolved my shifting problems. Completely! (I guess the ease of this change makes up for the starter mounting). Hope this helps someone with a similar transmission problem.
hrtrworms is offline   Reply With Quote