Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2017, 11:22 AM
Safety Car

Received 833 Likes on 581 Posts
Wagon Brake Recommendation

2012 TSX Wagon
85,000 miles

1st brake job

Getting lots of squeal from the car. Time for new pads. No vibration on steering wheel. Rotors were machined ONE time under warranty at 37K miles.

QUESTIONS:

1) Do you guys recommend sticking with OEM pads or going aftermarket? IF aftermarket, what are your recommendation and where do you buy from?

2) I will measure the rotor, but should I expect rotor to have enough meat, or would likely need replacement? If so, what rotor would you recommend?

Given that the first brake job is almost at 85K miles, car is mostly seeing highway miles.

Thank you
Old 03-08-2017, 12:53 PM
Drifting

Received 657 Likes on 478 Posts
AFAIK, nobody has really gone with OEM replacements because they are known to fail prematurely on our cars. (Or at least on the 09-10, saw a lot of threads about it)

My first brake setup was a stoptech package from XLR8. Slotted rotors and I forget which pads, but they've been great so far, no complaints.
Old 03-08-2017, 01:30 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,163 Likes on 874 Posts
I usually shop rockauto for brakes.

Looks like AZ vendors carry brake packages too.

I always buy new rotors. They're cheap...and a new rotor gives the pad a clean bedding surface. I also paint the hats or buy coated rotors.

I prefer blank rotors. I usually end up with Centrics because...idk. whatever. Centric is a known brand, and as far as I can tell...they're reputable. And they're inexpensive. They're just rotors. Buy whichever brand is cheapest and most advantageous for shipping location (if you know how to play the rockauto game...make sure as much stuff ships from the same place as possible to get advantages on shipping).

On rockauto, for the 2nd gen...at a quick glance, the pads I'd go with are either the Akebono ACT Ceramics or the Raybestos Hybrids.

Bed them in properly.
Old 03-08-2017, 02:41 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by iSeeYouTwo
AFAIK, nobody has really gone with OEM replacements because they are known to fail prematurely on our cars. (Or at least on the 09-10, saw a lot of threads about it)

My first brake setup was a stoptech package from XLR8. Slotted rotors and I forget which pads, but they've been great so far, no complaints.
thank you

oem replacements fail ? What does that mean ?
Old 03-08-2017, 02:42 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Roland_Bluntzs
I usually shop rockauto for brakes.

Looks like AZ vendors carry brake packages too.

I always buy new rotors. They're cheap...and a new rotor gives the pad a clean bedding surface. I also paint the hats or buy coated rotors.

I prefer blank rotors. I usually end up with Centrics because...idk. whatever. Centric is a known brand, and as far as I can tell...they're reputable. And they're inexpensive. They're just rotors. Buy whichever brand is cheapest and most advantageous for shipping location (if you know how to play the rockauto game...make sure as much stuff ships from the same place as possible to get advantages on shipping).

On rockauto, for the 2nd gen...at a quick glance, the pads I'd go with are either the Akebono ACT Ceramics or the Raybestos Hybrids.

Bed them in properly.
so centric with akebono ? Thanks much appreciated !!

I have to check the rear pads before ordering to see if I need those too

I know I need the fronts
Old 03-08-2017, 04:07 PM
fbt
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by iSeeYouTwo

I wouldn't consider 85k premature wear. If you are happy with the performance of the brakes then OEM is fine. Although personally any quality aftermarket pads are probably good as well and should save you a few dollars as well. Just stay away from the discount stores.
Old 03-08-2017, 06:56 PM
VTEC just kicked in, yo!

Received 1,112 Likes on 876 Posts

Bed them in properly.
If you're referring to the ProACTs, I have those for my RL BBK. Instructions specifically say you don't need to bed them in, but I did the typical procedure anyway just to be sure.
Old 03-08-2017, 07:07 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by fbt
I wouldn't consider 85k premature wear. If you are happy with the performance of the brakes then OEM is fine. Although personally any quality aftermarket pads are probably good as well and should save you a few dollars as well. Just stay away from the discount stores.
thank you

the wagon isn't going to race track

i have been pleased with with performance of oem

thus if replacements have at least the same bite as oem I would be happy
Old 03-08-2017, 09:19 PM
Safety Car

Genuine Acura pads shouldn't be very expensive either, from Bernardiparts or something.
Old 03-09-2017, 11:28 AM
Safety Car

Genuine Acura pads shouldn't be very expensive either, from Bernardiparts or something.
thanks

will check there today
Old 03-09-2017, 12:07 PM
Safety Car

Oem pads are $43 front
$48 rear
Old 03-09-2017, 12:42 PM
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Rocking Brembo blank rotors and akebono pads, love it and no complaints
Old 03-09-2017, 02:00 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by dhuynh
Rocking Brembo blank rotors and akebono pads, love it and no complaints
did you buy from rock auto or other vendor?
Old 03-09-2017, 04:43 PM
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by 2012wagon
did you buy from rock auto or other vendor?
a front pair from new-part.com was 94, got pads from amazon
The following users liked this post:
2012wagon (03-10-2017)
Old 03-10-2017, 09:17 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 247 Likes on 173 Posts
I did the Excelerate brake package with blanks. Bernardi as mentioned above is great too for OEM components. My front driver side has developed an occasional low tone howl recently during light braking, but I'm not sure what the cause is yet, need to get under there this weekend. Brake setup was good until this point.
2012wagon (03-10-2017)
Old 03-10-2017, 10:30 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Puppetmaster
I did the Excelerate brake package with blanks. Bernardi as mentioned above is great too for OEM components. My front driver side has developed an occasional low tone howl recently during light braking, but I'm not sure what the cause is yet, need to get under there this weekend. Brake setup was good until this point.
Bernardi had lower price than oem Acura website (sponsor)

but bernardi wanted $19 for shipping

oem was $10 for shipping

thus oem ended up being cheaper
Old 03-10-2017, 01:46 PM
VTEC just kicked in, yo!

Originally Posted by Puppetmaster
Could be brake dust. Your wheels ever get dusty from the pads?
Old 03-10-2017, 02:13 PM
Safety Car

Low tone howl is usually pad deposits on the rotor. Its the same as rotor "warp" conditions....except that the deposits are not yet big enough to make the pedal pulsate substantially.

I'm guessing there is some rhythmic feedback thru the pedal, though. It likely pulses at the same frequency as the noise waves. And it likely started after the brakes were thrashed on...either a heavy stop on the highway or spirited driving with repeated use.

yes?
The following 2 users liked this post by BROlando:
Puppetmaster (03-13-2017), xtcnrice (03-10-2017)
Old 03-10-2017, 02:43 PM
VTEC just kicked in, yo!

Low tone howl is usually pad deposits on the rotor. Its the same as rotor "warp" conditions....except that the deposits are not yet big enough to make the pedal pulsate substantially.

I'm guessing there is some rhythmic feedback thru the pedal, though. It likely pulses at the same frequency as the noise waves. And it likely started after the brakes were thrashed on...either a heavy stop on the highway or spirited driving with repeated use.

yes?
Thanks for the info! I'll have to check my rotors for pad deposits as well, as I started feeling a slight pulsation on light braking as well. Have you ever encountered this? If so, did you use Hawk Blue pads (found this info on the internet) to scrub the rotors clean before switching back and re-bedding your original ones?
Old 03-10-2017, 06:09 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by xtcnrice
Thanks for the info! I'll have to check my rotors for pad deposits as well, as I started feeling a slight pulsation on light braking as well. Have you ever encountered this? If so, did you use Hawk Blue pads (found this info on the internet) to scrub the rotors clean before switching back and re-bedding your original ones?
I have experienced it. I usually just buy new rotors and pads....as that would be cheaper than buying a set of hawk blues to scrape off rotors.

Though...hawk blues will definitely scrape the barnacles off the Titanic. Blues are very VERY abrasive racing pads. They become less abrasive when they ride on a transfer layer from very hard, repeated braking from lapping a circuit. They're pricey...so Idk if I'd use them just as scrapers lol. I certainly wouldn't use them for street pads....so they'll be kind of useless.

I thought you had RL calipers? I don't think Hawk makes an RL pad, do they? Honestly, the pad selection for RL calipers sucks. I am currently using Wagner Ceramics and I'm happy enough. No pulsing or anything...and these calipers pretty much force any pad to bite down. I bedded them in when I bought them. They recently started making a creaking noise, though. So...idk. I'll have to look into that.

You can scrape rotors with any cheapo semi-metallic/metallic pad, if you want to give that a shot. I think Centric semi-metallics are like $8 on rockauto lol.
xtcnrice (03-10-2017)
Old 03-10-2017, 10:24 PM
VTEC just kicked in, yo!

I have experienced it. I usually just buy new rotors and pads....as that would be cheaper than buying a set of hawk blues to scrape off rotors.

Though...hawk blues will definitely scrape the barnacles off the Titanic. Blues are very VERY abrasive racing pads. They become less abrasive when they ride on a transfer layer from very hard, repeated braking from lapping a circuit. They're pricey...so Idk if I'd use them just as scrapers lol. I certainly wouldn't use them for street pads....so they'll be kind of useless.

I thought you had RL calipers? I don't think Hawk makes an RL pad, do they? Honestly, the pad selection for RL calipers sucks. I am currently using Wagner Ceramics and I'm happy enough. No pulsing or anything...and these calipers pretty much force any pad to bite down. I bedded them in when I bought them. They recently started making a creaking noise, though. So...idk. I'll have to look into that.

You can scrape rotors with any cheapo semi-metallic/metallic pad, if you want to give that a shot. I think Centric semi-metallics are like $8 on rockauto lol.
Yeah didn't actually look into whether they're available for the RL or not, but also didn't realize they're pricey racing pads haha. Thank you as always!
Old 03-13-2017, 11:39 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 247 Likes on 173 Posts

yes?
Possibly except there's no change in pedal feel nor is there any pulsating that changes in frequency. It sounds like when you get a tiny pebble caught between pad and rotor, but then it goes away. Unpredictable as to when it comes up, sometimes once a drive, sometimes 3-5 times. Also, I'm not sure if its my imagination or mistaken perception, but I'm starting to hear it from the middle beneath the center console out to the driver side as well, but then I'm not sure why I only hear it when I'm braking. Looks like we're going to get a snow day tomorrow, so I'll finally have time to take a look at it. Sorry, don't mean to take away from the brake discussion that was going on here. If it's big enough of an issue, I'll start my own thread.