Help with slow starts

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2017, 10:19 AM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Help with slow starts

I recently brought my 2009 TSX to the stealership regarding a slow start due to my battery draining in temperatures below 40° and after sitting about 12hrs. They told me it was my positive cable leading to the starter and my starter. After them telling me it would cost $900 to replace I began looking into this myself..

The car has a 11.0 to 1 compression ratio and am curious to know if anyone on here has had the same problem and eleminated the issue by replacing the starter with a MSD starter being these are used specifically for high compression vehicles.

I apologize if this has already been answered, but have searched with no luck. Thank you in advance for your help.
Old 01-31-2017, 10:20 AM
10th Gear

I would like to add that the bluetooth has already been disconnected.
Old 01-31-2017, 10:29 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,577 Likes on 6,627 Posts
Have you gotten a new battery yet?
and battery cable. You can replace the cable pretty easily yourself.
Old 01-31-2017, 01:29 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,163 Likes on 874 Posts
The factory starter is also meant for a high compression vehicle.

Your issue may be battery life...or the positive cable that was diagnosed.

Or...maybe there isn't an issue. The car starts fine, but just does so slowly when it is cold?
Old 01-31-2017, 01:33 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
I KNOW! let's throw something expensive at it, while not even diagnosing the problem correctly!!!
that will solve it!!!!

But seriously, why would that be your first place to start???MSD starter???
the first place to start would be the original diagnosis....the battery and the battery cable.. look at it...inspect it for damage...if damaged, replace.

Def. not $900.....
Old 01-31-2017, 03:42 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by justnspace
I KNOW! let's throw something expensive at it, while not even diagnosing the problem correctly!!!
that will solve it!!!!

But seriously, why would that be your first place to start???MSD starter???
the first place to start would be the original diagnosis....the battery and the battery cable.. look at it...inspect it for damage...if damaged, replace.

Def. not $900.....
Lol. Its possible that OP is used to older domestic cars. Which...until about a couple years ago, were so badly made that most of them had issues with parts being inadequate to deal with even NORMAL operation of the vehicle.

Cars that are not generally under engineered to perform tasks like starting are alien to a lot of older guys.
Old 01-31-2017, 05:51 PM
10th Gear

Last year was the first winter with this car which is when I originally noticed it. I have replace the battery last spring and within 1yrs time already exchanged the battery out for a new one when I came out one morning to it being completely dead (Duralast Gold if I remember correctly). Alternator operates to specs. The positive battery cable I can see being an issue, but also understand slow starts for these vehicles are considered a "normal condition" which dosent seem right.

I am interested to see the compression ratio for the OE starter..
Old 02-01-2017, 07:00 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by dB_TSX
Last year was the first winter with this car which is when I originally noticed it. I have replace the battery last spring and within 1yrs time already exchanged the battery out for a new one when I came out one morning to it being completely dead (Duralast Gold if I remember correctly). Alternator operates to specs. The positive battery cable I can see being an issue, but also understand slow starts for these vehicles are considered a "normal condition" which dosent seem right.

I am interested to see the compression ratio for the OE starter..

Starters are not rated by compression ratio. The ability for a starter to create torque is a function of how much power it consumes/produces, and what its effective gear ratio is.

Even then, it doesn't tell you much.

You'd have to calculate or measure how much power you'd need to turn your particular engine at a RPM rate that causes it to start.

Then add a large factor of safety.

But...some engineer at Acura already did that. Successfully. Because its not a known, widespread issue.

I don't have any issues with mine. It has started after sitting all night in -17 degree temps....with a 6 year old battery.

MSD starters may be rated by "compression ratio" because they are an aftermarket part....and that's a desirable data parameter. I doubt you'll find the factory starter's compression ratio, though.

Any engine's start is bogged a little bit when the engine is cold, as it is harder to turn, and the battery is less effective.

If your battery is continually dying...why are you blaming the starter?

Last edited by BROlando; 02-01-2017 at 07:03 AM.
Old 02-01-2017, 07:16 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
continuing on your thoughts, he could change out starter to a factory OEM one, if he wanted too. JUST to get that out of his system...
But I agree, cranking amps from battery gets weaker during cold temps...and that should be his starting point (pun intended)
Old 02-01-2017, 07:31 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 118 Likes on 86 Posts
Originally Posted by Roland_Bluntzs
I don't have any issues with mine. It has started after sitting all night in -17 degree temps....with a 6 year old battery.
+1

I'm in the same area as Roland. I replaced the OE battery after 1 or 2 winters with either a Sears or Costco battery and have never had issues starting in cold Chicago winters. The last few were pretty rough... Yes on super cold nights the initial crankover is slower than usual and it takes and additional crank or 2 to fire, but I would consider that typical.

I would also check if something else is drawing current when the car is off. All lights, including the trunk light turn off? Anything plugged into the 12V outlets? Any aftermarket electrical or security systems? Alternator putting out around 13.8-14.8 volts while running?

Last edited by thunderbt3; 02-01-2017 at 07:33 AM.
Old 02-01-2017, 07:51 AM
10th Gear

Thank you for the posts on this topic.. Talking this through with you guys does help. The only reason I was looking at the starter is because the Acura stealership told me by changing that and the positive cable, my problem would be eleminated. This morning it was 41° and the car started like there has never been an issue (see below). I'm highly doubting the starter is the culprit, the cable is still at large though.

Again, thank you to everyone for your input.

I read some posts while at work the other night regarding locking the doors with the key fob. Supposedly, some vehicles are not going into sleep mode after locking and/or setting the alarm due to a faulty switch. Last night I manually locked the doors and it started strong this morning. I'm going to continue to run tests on this theory over the several days to see if this may be the cause of my battery drain.
The following users liked this post:
xtcnrice (02-01-2017)
Old 02-01-2017, 07:56 AM
VTEC just kicked in, yo!

Received 1,112 Likes on 876 Posts
Originally Posted by dB_TSX
Thank you for the posts on this topic.. Talking this through with you guys does help. The only reason I was looking at the starter is because the Acura stealership told me by changing that and the positive cable, my problem would be eleminated. This morning it was 41° and the car started like there has never been an issue (see below). I'm highly doubting the starter is the culprit, the cable is still at large though.

Again, thank you to everyone for your input.

I read some posts while at work the other night regarding locking the doors with the key fob. Supposedly, some vehicles are not going into sleep mode after locking and/or setting the alarm due to a faulty switch. Last night I manually locked the doors and it started strong this morning. I'm going to continue to run tests on this theory over the several days to see if this may be the cause of my battery drain.
Interesting theory. In for updates.
Old 02-01-2017, 07:59 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by thunderbt3
+1

I'm in the same area as Roland. I replaced the OE battery after 1 or 2 winters with either a Sears or Costco battery and have never had issues starting in cold Chicago winters. The last few were pretty rough... Yes on super cold nights the initial crankover is slower than usual and it takes and additional crank or 2 to fire, but I would consider that typical.

I would also check if something else is drawing current when the car is off. All lights, including the trunk light turn off? Anything plugged into the 12V outlets? Any aftermarket electrical or security systems? Alternator putting out around 13.8-14.8 volts while running?
Thank you for your reply. Alternator checks out fine, the trunk light does stay off, and do not have any aftermarket electricals. Everything is as is from the factory. My last post does throw a flag on the issue.
Old 02-01-2017, 08:16 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,577 Likes on 6,627 Posts
sounds like you need to do a parasitic draw test to see what's potentially draining your battery
Old 02-01-2017, 12:16 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by thoiboi
sounds like you need to do a parasitic draw test to see what's potentially draining your battery
already in the process..