Buying a new Acura Advice TL&TSX

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2017, 12:35 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buying a new Acura Advice TL&TSX

Hello,

I am relatively new here, I joined a few months ago, but this is my first post. I am need of advice/recommendations of which direction to go in.

I currently own a 2004 Acura RSX Type S which I have had for 3 years or so.I have always wanted a 2007-2008 Acura TL Type S after my RSX, but I have noticed that instead of buying a car that's 10+ years old I can get a newer model/year with less mileage and for less money. I am currently in the market looking to upgrade to a 2010-2014 Acura TL SH-AWD or 2010 Acura TSX V6 but I just don't know which one should I go for. I would prefer to get the TL SH-AWD but with my budget I have been having a pretty difficult time finding one that is in good condition and has low mileage(like 60k-70k). Most of them are in the 90k-100k for the price I am looking for. I saw a 2010 Acura TSX V6 with tech package around my budget, which I would be willing to go see, but carfax lists it as being a corporate vehicle. My question to you guys is, what would you guys get? Any problems that I should be aware of with these two models? I'd be more than happy to answer any other questions.

Thanks in advance for your input and advice.
Old 02-23-2017, 08:37 AM
Banned

Received 60 Likes on 49 Posts
Go Test drive both, That will narrow your decision and save up more if you want a lower mileage car. As an Rsx owner you know Acura's retain their value. So don't expect to find a low mileage/low price, unless you got the cash in hand, that's a different story.
Old 02-24-2017, 06:36 PM
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 46 Posts
as an owner of both, i can say you can really go wrong with either choice.

the tl-shawd will feel more planted handling wise. The stock tsx v6 suspension feels sloppy. My tsx v6 was a lease car but mechanically was solid. It has its fair share of blemishes with door dings etc as long as maintenance was done properly you should be safe.

The tl shawd i would look at all the maintenance records to make sure the fluids for the differentials and etc were done properly. The known issues for the tl shawd are the propeller shaft making a whistling noise at freeway speeds. sounds like steam from a kettle or a high pitched whine. The other issue is oil consumption between oil changes. The software on the 2012+ tl shawd seems to be programmed to protect the transmission which in turn feels very sluggish at times. Almost like hesitation.

I like both cars, the tsx will be less maintenance to worry about being just FWD, but the TL has the better suspension.

Drive both good luck.
Old 03-04-2017, 08:51 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 89 Likes on 52 Posts
We have 2014 TL SH-AWD and 2013 TSX but ours is 4 cyl base. I am not sure about additional changes on V6 TSX compared to i4 but for sure there is a different between the TL and TSX i4. The TSX (at least i4) feels much lighter, almost more nimble than TL. The TSX reminds me 3g TL in that department. The TL SH-AWD on the other hand feels heavy and more planted to road, it feel like it has more presence too. In corners, it tends to oversteer more since it is heavier, unless you step on the gas to engage SH-AWD to help in steering. If you are not a person that likes to accelerate in the corners, or sprints from every intersection, I honestly think that SH-AWD wouldn't be much of a benefit for you, since for the most part the TL SH-AWD is FWD car unless you are heavy on the gas pedal.
Old 03-06-2017, 08:01 PM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,158 Likes on 1,386 Posts
You mention budget as a sticking point. I would go with the less complex V6 TSX, especially if you can't get the mileage you want on the TL.
Old 03-09-2017, 04:03 PM
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts
Get the TSX in a 6 speed! Forget the V6 (as it doesnt come in manual)