2nd gen TSX head unit install to help upgrade "tech" feel?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2015, 12:50 PM
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
2nd gen TSX head unit install to help upgrade "tech" feel?

So, I posted a couple weeks back that I may have found a decent TSX. I didn't pull the trigger because I am beginning to feel like this car is showing its age. I can get a great deal now (in fact that one I was looking at dropped down to 20,500 for a 2012 base with 22k miles on it).

I am pleased with the look of the car, but again with all the mid model refreshes coming to other midsize sedans very soon (thinking accord, malibu, altima) with better tech, led lamps, etc... I hesitate to make a move on the tsx. I also was considering a new golf GTI.

I bring up the head unit issue because I feel I can help ease the tech issue with a new head unit (pioneer has some nice ones). I am not mechanically inclined, so I would by everything I need and have a shop install it.

What are your thoughts on this? Yes, I did check out the electronics section but figured posting in the general discussion would help get more answers and my question is kind of broad.

Also, I can always just buy a cellphone holder and just operate the nav there.

Lastly, are we able to hook up an iphone 6+ bluetooth to play stored songs and maybe pandora?
Old 09-23-2015, 01:04 PM

Received 7,772 Likes on 5,045 Posts
If all that is holding you back from buying the car is the stereo, then yes, absolutely upgrading the head unit is a good move. In the long run, it's relatively cheap to get a good (maybe not audiophile great) system installed to your liking.

If whatever route you go includes bluetooth connectivity, then yes you will be able to sync your phone and stream music locally or from a cloud service (assuming you have adequate data plan).

Depends what you're looking for really. Make a "Need/Want/Don't Want" list and see where your options fall. If the only thing the TSX is missing is the audio, well, you're in pretty good shape.
Old 09-23-2015, 01:07 PM
Pro

Received 165 Likes on 135 Posts
<p>The base and tech head units are were old even when the car was&nbsp;new. Honda seems to be behind the curve on most of their entertainment info. I sometimes wish I didnt have a tech model so I could go aftermarket a tad bit easier. Think the biggest difference between base and tech, soundwise, is the lack of rear speakers that you'd have to add on, but given how the tech speakers like to blow, you're already off to a better start in a base model if your plan is to add a system.</p><p>There are a few local owners that have upgraded to aftermarket double din's. Radio install is pretty basic. Most of it is plug and play.</p><p>I trust Google maps more than the OEM nav when moving around new areas or big cities. Music can stream by bluetooth into the head unit once paired.</p><p>GTI's are fun new, but I wouldn't own one once the warranty is over.</p>
The following users liked this post:
Eggs999bacon (09-23-2015)
Old 09-23-2015, 01:14 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by cu2wagon
If all that is holding you back from buying the car is the stereo, then yes, absolutely upgrading the head unit is a good move. In the long run, it's relatively cheap to get a good (maybe not audiophile great) system installed to your liking.

If whatever route you go includes bluetooth connectivity, then yes you will be able to sync your phone and stream music locally or from a cloud service (assuming you have adequate data plan).

Depends what you're looking for really. Make a "Need/Want/Don't Want" list and see where your options fall. If the only thing the TSX is missing is the audio, well, you're in pretty good shape.
Thank you for the reply. So, with the base audio, can I connect my iphone 6+ or my older ipod nano 5th gen via a wire or somewhere to connect? I wont buy a fm tuner they sound horrible. Also, can I connect my iphone 6+ via bluetooth and play songs stored on it?
Old 09-23-2015, 01:17 PM
Pro

Received 165 Likes on 135 Posts
<p>Check the center arm rest. The tech models have a USB and&nbsp;AUX port hidden in there. I'm pretty sure the base models should have it too.</p><p>Bluetooth streaming of audio is pretty meeeehh in quality from&nbsp;my experiences too.</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>&nbsp;</p>
Eggs999bacon (09-23-2015)
Old 09-23-2015, 03:00 PM
fbt
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by ulrblitzer
Check the center arm rest. The tech models have a USB and AUX port hidden in there. I'm pretty sure the base models should have it too.
Bluetooth streaming of audio is pretty meeeehh in quality from my experiences too.
The base unit is better to upgrade as it still keeps the hvac display. The base does have a usb and bluetooth but I'd have to look again to see if there is a AUX port. Bluetooth may not be great sound but it sure is convenient.
Old 09-23-2015, 03:34 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by fbt
The base unit is better to upgrade as it still keeps the hvac display. The base does have a usb and bluetooth but I'd have to look again to see if there is a AUX port. Bluetooth may not be great sound but it sure is convenient.
Thank you. If you could check for me that would be great. So, with a USB hub, i can connect my ipod or even just throw music on a USB drive, and have it display fine on the regular display?

I know I have asked a lot, but incase I just say screw it and keep the sound system as it is, I want to be sure it will work as I will be keeping this car for atleast 3-5 years.
Old 09-23-2015, 04:56 PM
TSX AMG Type //M i-VVT

Received 856 Likes on 643 Posts
If you put some songs on a USB stick you can plug it into the USB port in the armrest and play the songs off that, you see the list on the screen.

If you have an iPhone you can also plug the USB into that and play songs that way... i don't know if it works with newer iPhones. Last time i tried it was the 4S.

Androids don't work over USB.

Also i don't know if it will still work if you put a USB hub. Probably not.

There's also an aux port next to the USB

And you can always just play over bluetooth which is the best option imo. wheel controls work too.
Old 09-23-2015, 04:58 PM
Everyday I'm rofling

Received 1,788 Likes on 1,103 Posts
Bluetooth sounds great to me. Same as AUX. I've tweaked some settings on the equalizer on my phone(android) and I have no complaints at all.
Mercedes>BMW (09-26-2015)
Old 09-24-2015, 09:18 AM
fbt
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Eggs999bacon
Thank you. If you could check for me that would be great. So, with a USB hub, i can connect my ipod or even just throw music on a USB drive, and have it display fine on the regular display? I know I have asked a lot, but incase I just say screw it and keep the sound system as it is, I want to be sure it will work as I will be keeping this car for atleast 3-5 years.
There is an auxiliary port and a power port as well as USB. I just use a USB stick and bluetooth for the phone. The base unit display is redumenatary. You don't get meta data and of course it's only text. Same goes with bluetooth from the phone, it just diplays the name of my phone XT1528
Eggs999bacon (09-24-2015)
Old 09-24-2015, 10:08 AM
Banned

Received 60 Likes on 49 Posts
There are 3 Audio connection option on the base TSX.
1. USB- (full ipod, iphone 4, iphone 6+) control from steering wheel and stereo
2. Bluetooth- can control volume and tracks only from steering wheel and stereo (iphone 4, iphone 6+)
3. Aux cable- can only control volume on steering wheel and stereo
Eggs999bacon (09-24-2015)