Brake/Speaker problems fixed on 2010?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2010, 11:17 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brake/Speaker problems fixed on 2010?

I just leased a 10' TSX last week and then i registered for this site. I was reading around and saw that alot of people with the 09's are having their brakes go extremely early and their speakers blow. Does anyone know if these things have been fixed for the 2010 model?
Old 03-29-2010, 07:28 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
no they haven't, but yay for TSB's and warranties, you'll be fine. Congratulations on buying an incredible car, first few months are gonna be a bit bumpy :-P
Old 03-29-2010, 08:44 AM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i just bought my car almost a month ago and i had thought they had been fixed but i did recently read that they havent. but going through the forums, i cant remember seeing anyone with a 2010 that has had the speaker problems. plus, i have been blasting it and i havent had any problems so far. maybe cause i have a tech? idk
the brakes i cant be sure of. mine is still basically brand new, but i again i havent hear much from the forum about 2010 brakes. maybe the 09 is more popular on here.
Old 03-29-2010, 11:52 AM
Advanced

i have a 2010 base and I "blast" my music, going up to mid to high 20's, and i have no problem with the speakers yet. just tweak the tone settings a bit, and don't max out the bass. i think i have the treble at 6, bass at 3 or 4, subw at 5. My electronic music sounds amazing.
Old 03-29-2010, 12:40 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dano9258
I just leased a 10' TSX last week and then i registered for this site. I was reading around and saw that alot of people with the 09's are having their brakes go extremely early and their speakers blow. Does anyone know if these things have been fixed for the 2010 model?
There has yet to be an owner of a 2010 on these forums that has had a blown speaker, if that is of any help.
Old 03-29-2010, 01:30 PM
Racer

what about the engine pinging?
i havent gotten a straight answer on that yet.
im not even sure on what it sounds like and wouldnt know what to listen for. ive tried but i havent heard anything out of the ordinary.
Old 03-29-2010, 03:11 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Originally Posted by ctwickman
There has yet to be an owner of a 2010 on these forums that has had a blown speaker, if that is of any help.
and I don't believe that brakes are considered a 'problem' (by Acura) for the most part.
Old 03-29-2010, 03:13 PM
Advanced

I would say having to replace the brakes every 10k miles is a problem and Acura needs to step up to the plate and fix it
Old 03-29-2010, 03:31 PM
Suzuka Master

Yet, not everybody is experiencing this. In fact, not one of my customers has ever commented on brakes being replaced pre-maturely. The only place I hear about 10K brake life is here.
Old 03-30-2010, 02:04 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Colin
Yet, not everybody is experiencing this. In fact, not one of my customers has ever commented on brakes being replaced pre-maturely. The only place I hear about 10K brake life is here.
i grew up in hawaii, and reaching 10k miles takes longer to rack up if you're just doing daily driving and commute. maybe this year you'll hear about it more
Old 03-30-2010, 03:28 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by cpmajai
i grew up in hawaii, and reaching 10k miles takes longer to rack up if you're just doing daily driving and commute. maybe this year you'll hear about it more
While I certainly don't discount the possibility, I can say that there have been two generations of service loaners and none of them have had to have the brakes replaced before we sold them as used cars. These cars were sold between 12,000 and 15,000 miles. And of course, these were driven by many drivers with different driving styles and different commutes.

I think the main point of contention here is not the actual life of the brake pads, but rather their intended life span and whether they are reaching it. For example, as I recall, our Integra's used to use rear brake pads every 20,000 miles or so. Personally, I always thought this was a little quick, but since it was consistent amongst our 1994, 1997, and 2000 model year Integras, I became comfortable that that was how the machine was designed. And in this way I never viewed it as a "defect"

So with regard to the TSX I don't believe there's a definitive answer that all of the cars will wear out the brake pads at 10,000 miles. I know this discussion is about the second generation TSXs and I don't recall if there were similar complaints about the first generation TSX (but I'm guessing there were). For the record, my 2008 TSX is at 26,000 miles and not showing any signs that I need to do brakes. As always, "your mileage may vary"
Old 03-30-2010, 04:53 AM
Pro

Received 108 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by cpmajai
i have a 2010 base and I "blast" my music, going up to mid to high 20's, and i have no problem with the speakers yet. just tweak the tone settings a bit, and don't max out the bass. i think i have the treble at 6, bass at 3 or 4, subw at 5. My electronic music sounds amazing.
+1! Exactly my setup.

Note that, according to the 2010 V6 service manual, the speakers in the Base are 4 ohm, vs. 2 Ohm in the Tech. So it looks like the tech has different speakers.
Old 03-30-2010, 06:17 AM
Old Guy

Received 161 Likes on 141 Posts
While I certainly don't discount the possibility, I can say that there have been two generations of service loaners and none of them have had to have the brakes replaced before we sold them as used cars. These cars were sold between 12,000 and 15,000 miles. And of course, these were driven by many drivers with different driving styles and different commutes.

I think the main point of contention here is not the actual life of the brake pads, but rather their intended life span and whether they are reaching it. For example, as I recall, our Integra's used to use rear brake pads every 20,000 miles or so. Personally, I always thought this was a little quick, but since it was consistent amongst our 1994, 1997, and 2000 model year Integras, I became comfortable that that was how the machine was designed. And in this way I never viewed it as a "defect"

So with regard to the TSX I don't believe there's a definitive answer that all of the cars will wear out the brake pads at 10,000 miles. I know this discussion is about the second generation TSXs and I don't recall if there were similar complaints about the first generation TSX (but I'm guessing there were). For the record, my 2008 TSX is at 26,000 miles and not showing any signs that I need to do brakes. As always, "your mileage may vary"
The first gen forum is loaded with guys complaining of rear brake pad wear (though I'm not one of them). I replaced the rear pads on my 05 mainly because I replaced the rotors, they came with new pads, and at some point the dealer service tech had reported that they were down to like 12% (not true I discovered, but I changed them anyway). I'm of the opinion that it's a rare engineering mistep for Honda, and the rear brakes are just too small for many driving styles and for tough commutes (resulting in early pad wear). It's way too common (on the 04 to 08's anyway) to be just anicdotal. And it's too bad cause it sounds like perhaps Honda didn't address it with the new model. Now.... all that said, the rears on my 05 were changed out at around 50K, the fronts at around 80K (and both still had life in them) and wife's 07, with over 85K miles on it, is still on the originals at all four corners. This is what all highway driving can do. As stated above (in this original post), I agree that driving style and conditions are the main determinent of brake wear, but I still think there are too many complaints here (with the first gen anyway) to give Honda a pass.
Old 03-30-2010, 07:38 AM
Burning Brakes

yep, dealerships all say that its been a problem on all tsx's and honda's rears wear out quicker because there brake ratio is set differently then most cars so that when you brake you don't jerk forward as much, and the rear rotors and pads are smaller then the front
Old 03-30-2010, 08:25 AM
Instructor

15,000 on my Wife's 2010. No brake problems or speaker problems.
In fact the only thing is of my doing. I need to get to a dealer to reset the TPMS system.
She is getting over 28mpg overall, (the TSX says 31.5) So I figure it is lower.
But the reality of life is that rotors on Honda products have always been a little on the small size. Our 01 CL-S is famous for going through front rotors like water.
Old 03-30-2010, 11:44 AM
Advanced

I was just at the dealer for an unrelated issue and asked them this question. The service guy stated the brakes will go every 10000-15000 miles on the rear. He stated they purposed engineered it that way so the vehicle doesn't sway forward when braking. He said he hadn't seen anything about the speaker problems.
Old 03-30-2010, 12:39 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Simba91102
As stated above (in this original post), I agree that driving style and conditions are the main determinent of brake wear, but I still think there are too many complaints here (with the first gen anyway) to give Honda a pass.
But you could just as easily flip this whole argument around and say, "if this is a longstanding known issue, and you still bought the car..."

Conversely, if you'd didn't know about the issue (before you bought), and were rudely awakened to find that rear brake pads have a short life span, you can now take comfort in that the knowledge that your car is not defective. They are all that way.
Old 03-30-2010, 03:18 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by dano9258
I was just at the dealer for an unrelated issue and asked them this question. The service guy stated the brakes will go every 10000-15000 miles on the rear. He stated they purposed engineered it that way so the vehicle doesn't sway forward when braking. He said he hadn't seen anything about the speaker problems.
lol thanks for the echo,

Also they'll go often if you ride them for a nice smooth brake everytime you slow down from every speed, if you know its a red light.. dont' speed up to it, if you know you got time to stop, stop a little harder, let off the brake and do it again till you get there.. save brakes.
Old 03-30-2010, 11:16 PM
THƎSƎ HOPƎFUL MACHINƎS

Originally Posted by ctwickman
I just had the passenger-side front tweeter replaced (it was blown) on my 2010 V6 Tech...
Old 03-30-2010, 11:24 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am sorry any dealer that is saying that the rear brake is wearing out earlier is a design issue is lying.

First off the facts do not correlate. 70% of your braking power is on the front wheels, even if they put it to 50-50, the brake wear is uneven. On my car the inside pads wear out faster than the outside pads (i got pictures to prove it).

Which means its a design fault. Sorry dealer, you are wrong.
Old 04-01-2010, 09:39 PM
8th Gear

I have had my 2010 TSX Tech for a little longer than a week with ~400 miles on it and I have no experienced the speaker blow out problems, engine pinging or premature break wear yet! *knocks heavily on wood*
Old 04-06-2010, 08:46 AM
Instructor

i'm pretty sure on my way to work this morning i either just blew or just noticed a blown speaker on my 2010 tech. either passenger side tweeter or speaker not sure. i have sub on 3, bass on C, and treble on 1.. no reason for this. also my friend works at an auto parts store and thought it was funny when he was delivering break pads for a TSX with 9k miles, thats when i took notice to the break issues.
Old 04-06-2010, 01:25 PM
2010 6MT non-tech

as you may have noticed, almost all (or maybe all) of the blown speakers are with the tech models and not with the non-tech. i believe someone confirmed that the amp in the tech TSX is crappy and ends up blowing out speakers.

as for the brakes, they have always been a weak spot in Hondas, and the TSX is no different. mine have been lightly squealing since almost day 1, and i have about 3,000 miles on them now. i haven't had time to take it in to the dealer but i probably will at some point.

you leased the car so you'll be in the warranty period anyway. just go out and enjoy it, and if something goes wrong, Acura should fix these for you without asking any questions.
Old 04-06-2010, 07:30 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I guess I've been pretty lucky with my car. Brake pads still good at 23k miles and no blown speakers. No other car issues. I do get the occasional pinging but that only happens when I get 87 gas.
Old 04-14-2010, 12:19 AM
Cruisin'

so instead of the making a new thread i thought id ask here - anyone know if the speaker problem has been solved/fixed? i did some heavy googling and got a variety of answers - some ppl claim that an updated version of the speakers is now put in as a replacement of blown ones, or that only a certain batch of the 2010's still had the problem
Old 04-15-2010, 11:39 AM
10th Gear

Having the same issue my 10 6cy - tech on the speakers; sounds like a humming even when the volume is set to min. Almost as if there is some kind of interference for power fluctuation being heard through the pass/front speaker.

Brought in today, they swapped pass front speaker inside bottom of door and they said the problem is still there. They are going to keep it for a day or so; I'll give an update as to what they wind up replacing next...
Old 04-20-2010, 12:57 AM
Intermediate

i got a 2010 non tech and ive had my 2 front and 2 rear speakers replaced and im pretty sure they are blown again right now but i havent had time to bring it in..and also the breaks been sqeeking since i bought the car
Old 06-29-2010, 08:48 AM
Advanced

I wonder if the speaker issue happen because people were blasting the music or it relates to a certain batch of cars with similar vin #.
Old 01-30-2011, 10:06 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 869 Likes on 413 Posts
Originally Posted by hjahmad
i just bought my car almost a month ago and i had thought they had been fixed but i did recently read that they havent. but going through the forums, i cant remember seeing anyone with a 2010 that has had the speaker problems. plus, i have been blasting it and i havent had any problems so far. maybe cause i have a tech? idk
the brakes i cant be sure of. mine is still basically brand new, but i again i havent hear much from the forum about 2010 brakes. maybe the 09 is more popular on here.

I have leased a 2010 premium since July 2010 and have experienced no pinging or speaker issues. However, when winter hit with lots of snow, humidity, and cold, i have noticed that my breaks squeak quite noticeably in the first few minuteséstops after the car has been sitting. Usually goes away after that.
Old 01-30-2011, 11:02 AM
Make it #7!

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts
Overnight oxidation is normal. No problems with my '09 TSX/Tech with 25K miles so far.
Old 01-30-2011, 01:24 PM
mbp
5th Gear

I've had the rear brakes serviced on my 2009 TSX at 31k miles I believe they replaced the brake pads with the "upgraded" set. My vehicle fell under the brake pad settlement still waiting on them to approve the reimbursement. Also I should note my front brakes are squeaky they've resurfaced the rotors at 12k miles due to excessive vibration during braking -- vibration went away but squeaking didn't. Just small annoyances the brakes work perfectly fine overall
Old 01-30-2011, 07:02 PM
Make it #7!

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts
What exactly is the "brake pad settlement"?
Old 01-30-2011, 08:50 PM
mbp
5th Gear

Originally Posted by 5 Acuras
What exactly is the "brake pad settlement"?
This is the official site, it's got all of the information regarding the law suit and etc.
Old 01-30-2011, 09:03 PM
4th Gear

Rotors

I need some awesome rotors for street racing so I can stop on the dime. What do ya'll suggest?
Old 01-30-2011, 09:08 PM
4th Gear

Brakes

Where can I get calipers on an 07 TL Type S the size of as the fronts for the back calipers?
Old 01-31-2011, 06:30 PM
SeeYou2Crew #2

Received 825 Likes on 636 Posts
Originally Posted by lattimore23
I need some awesome rotors for street racing so I can stop on the dime. What do ya'll suggest?
i suggest you to not street race.
Old 02-01-2011, 01:38 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 114 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by ed_423
i suggest you to not street race.
X2.... take it to the track.
Old 02-01-2011, 01:57 PM
Op is too busy to care

Received 913 Likes on 540 Posts
Originally Posted by lattimore23

buy some neon lights first, adds atleast +20 bhp
Old 02-01-2011, 08:52 PM
kgs
Advanced

Originally Posted by mapleloaf
when winter hit with lots of snow, humidity, and cold, i have noticed that my breaks squeak quite noticeably in the first few minuteséstops after the car has been sitting.
weird....I just had that happen on my car for the first time today. Parked it at the train station all day to avoid driving in sleet and freezing rain and when I was leaving the garage, I noticed they were squeaking which they have never done before (typically park in closed garages). It stopped pretty much right away, so hopefully nothing but being cold.
Old 04-15-2011, 10:14 AM
Cruisin'

Brake problem 2010 TSX V6 16,100 miles

Brake problem 2010 TSX V6 16,100 miles
Just got back from dealer and boy I'm pissed!

Went to Vegas last week and the brakes were very bad and felt a vibration! Vegas Mechanic told me they have had many cars with the same problem! Told me brakes are not covered and to check at my local dealer if they can do anything,

After dealing with dealer in San Diego they told me the same thing not covered. They told me to call Acura. Acura said they would split it with me and only charge me $100 for the front brakes. After I said No I want you to pay for it all they said let us look at the car again and measure how much breaks are left. Long story short They paid for the front brakes! They also said there is a service bulletin now on the front brakes. After a few phone calls a lot of time they said they will fix the car charge me $150 for the back brakes and to get reimbursed from Acura.

After all of this I pick up the car today and they put a dent in the side!!!

Then they said this could not have happened here!

Well I did not see it when I dropped it off and the paper work did not show any dents! The manger said he will fix it now.

To top it all off they gave the car back on fumes gas tank on E

I had a 1/4 tank when I dropped it off!

What a WASTE OF TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Brake/Speaker problems fixed on 2010?