I think I found my TSX, advice please...

Old 08-27-2015, 04:07 PM
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
I think I found my TSX, advice please...

I live in NJ and found a 2012 Acura TSX base, black on black, with a little over 22k miles on it for a list price of $21,700. It is coming from a one owner, used car dealer (car max, autolenders, carsense type) where they offer a limited warranty (despite the tsx having the factory one still).

I also made sure via carfax that it checks out and was no where near where hurricane sandy hit.

My question is, is this a reliable car that will not screw me in maintenance costs down the line? I would be sure to go through regular maintenance to ensure the car runs for many years to come. I know its an acura, but based off my research we aren't talking BMW maintenance.

I know I can get a newer car, that runs on regular fuel, for better financing rate, and better tech... but nothing sticks out to me and if it does it will cost upwards of 28 grand (thinking newer accord ex-l trim, vw golf gti, brand new chevy malibu).

I love the look, feel, shape of this car. I will keep it for at least 5 years then consider moving up to something better. As for tech, I am good with a nice cellphone mount (i have the iphone 6+). I test drove it the other day and it put a smile on my face.

so, tl;dr: Is the 2012 acura tsx with a little over 22k miles for 21,700 worth the price? I want a car thats a little fun to drive, so I don't need a v6, just something peppy. I just see some of the new cars out there and feel I should be leaning towards those as they are better with tech, fuel, etc. Weird.
Old 08-27-2015, 04:18 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
Sounds like you kind of answered your own question in the very last sentence

As far as fuel economy goes, I have my doubts that there's much difference between a 2012 car and a 2015 car. Even if EPA ratings are better, I don't trust EPA ratings worth shit. Half the time it seems they get those numbers going downhill with the wind pushing the car forward

If you like the TSX, buy it. Try haggling the price down a bit. Enjoy it.
Old 08-27-2015, 05:49 PM
Everyday I'm rofling

Received 1,788 Likes on 1,103 Posts
You found it!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-27-2015, 05:52 PM
Team Owner

Received 2,334 Likes on 1,962 Posts
<p>Just get the TSX.... It's reliable, maintenance is no where near the price of BMW....</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>Just make sure you can afford the premium gas. </p>
Old 08-27-2015, 06:01 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Received 354 Likes on 325 Posts
Just to add to your confusion.. have you considered the Lexus IS models...? It may be a bit cramped inside compared to what you have in mind, but if you are single / don't need space that could be considered. But it will cost more too...
Isn't it funny, when are actually buying a car there seems to be so few choices out there on the lot and immediately after buying the choices expand to a zillion...
Old 08-27-2015, 07:56 PM
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
why not? just get your TSX
Old 08-27-2015, 09:57 PM
Racer

Received 129 Likes on 99 Posts
Its a HONDA!!!! Does that answers all your concerns??
Old 08-27-2015, 10:04 PM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Flipster23
<p>Just get the TSX.... It's reliable, maintenance is no where near the price of BMW....</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>Just make sure you can afford the premium gas. </p>
I run mid grade. Can't tell any difference between that and premium in performance or fuel economy. Regular, however, is crap
Old 08-27-2015, 10:17 PM
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Thank you all for the replies. Sorry if I seem stupid to the acura/honda world. Im 28 and still drive my 01' blazer, my first car I ever got haha, so I have never bought a new/used car, but have done a lot of research and have been frequenting the forums here and drive accord since I was really close to closing on one, but the outside screams family sedan. I just got a new job, big pay jump, figured a car thats under 23g's will fit my budget. The TSX has all the features I need.

Seems like most of you are stressing this car is reliable as it is a honda brand. That was my big concern, since I always think acura being an expensive luxury car. Having an old blazer, it runs great, I keep up with maintenance, etc, it loves to drink gas though, and being a 2 door its a pain in the ass for passengers.

Someone mentioned a lexus... They never stood out to me, but thank you. I feel the Acura TSX, being used and a bit dated, but absolutely beautiful inside and out, I think I will be going for this one finally.

If the deal is right, Ill try to post pictures this weekend!
The following users liked this post:
xtcnrice (08-27-2015)
Old 08-28-2015, 01:01 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 602 Likes on 369 Posts
Do you post on reddit? I feel like I've seen an account with the same username like that before.

Anyways, I know it's regional, but I think with some good negotiating you can work that list price down. Check around what TSX with similar mileage/year are going for and use that to your advantage. From what I've seen over here though, the value has really gone down the past year. And as ceb says, the tech package TSX holds its value more than a base.

I have a black/black too, just be aware that it's hard as crap to maintain the black paint...literally you drive it once and find shit on it. I still love the color, but it can be a pain in the ass to keep clean.
Old 08-28-2015, 09:06 AM
Team Owner

Received 2,334 Likes on 1,962 Posts
<p>
Originally Posted by evo9
Its a HONDA!!!! Does that answers all your concerns??
</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>That doesn't help. </p>
Old 08-28-2015, 09:21 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,276 Likes on 951 Posts
Originally Posted by Eggs999bacon
Thank you all for the replies. Sorry if I seem stupid to the acura/honda world. Im 28 and still drive my 01' blazer, my first car I ever got haha, so I have never bought a new/used car, but have done a lot of research and have been frequenting the forums here and drive accord since I was really close to closing on one, but the outside screams family sedan. I just got a new job, big pay jump, figured a car thats under 23g's will fit my budget. The TSX has all the features I need.

Seems like most of you are stressing this car is reliable as it is a honda brand. That was my big concern, since I always think acura being an expensive luxury car. Having an old blazer, it runs great, I keep up with maintenance, etc, it loves to drink gas though, and being a 2 door its a pain in the ass for passengers.

Someone mentioned a lexus... They never stood out to me, but thank you. I feel the Acura TSX, being used and a bit dated, but absolutely beautiful inside and out, I think I will be going for this one finally.

If the deal is right, Ill try to post pictures this weekend!
The TSX is great value for the money. It is reliable, fun, good looking and cheap to operate.

You can cut the already reasonable maintenance costs down by finding a good indy shop or by having your car serviced at a Honda dealership. All modern Hondas and Acuras use the same oil and filters and the tools and training are the same.
Old 08-28-2015, 10:35 AM
Banned

Received 60 Likes on 49 Posts
Do it! it's a great car.