Clutch problems at just under 40k miles

Old 01-25-2015, 08:54 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clutch problems at just under 40k miles

Hello all! I drive a 2010 Acura TSX 6 speed MT. I'm the sole owner (purchased it new) and it's got just under 40k miles. I've taken care of the care, but am experiencing some clutch issues. When I press the gas, particularly in the higher gears, the car doesn't really generate the power that it used to and, instead, the engine just revs really high! I can even smell burnt clutch. It's as if the clutch is not engaging the gears or is slipping. This is the first time I've owned a manual transmission vehicle and I only really drive this to and from work (3 miles) and occasional weekend trips. So, my questions are:

Is is possible that I've worn the clutch out already?
Can this clutch be adjusted (cables?) or must it be replaced (hydraulic?)
How much does a clutch replacement usually cost?
Finally, any good mechanic recommendations near Jersey City?

I'm going to bring it to the dealer to get diagnosed tomorrow, but I'm not letting them touch it until I do more research and hear back from the Acurazine community. Hope you can help.

Thanks,

Chris G
Old 01-25-2015, 09:15 PM
Lone Wolf

Received 497 Likes on 399 Posts
Yes you can wear a clutch out fast. My first manual car my clutch lasted 12 years and 126k miles. My younger brother's first clutch lasted him 2500 miles, lol.

I don't want to scare you, but it probably will. When I first thought my clutch was slipping I took it to Acura Dealer. They wanted to test drive it. I asked to go with on the test drive, but they told me no and to wait in waiting room. Looking back on it, I should have walked out of the dealer. They took it for a drive and when they got back I noticed my front bumper was all smashed up.

The dealer denied hitting anything and said the damage was already there. I told them I just washed the car before bringing it in and know for sure the damage was not there. Then they said well you must have hit something on the way here. Lets just say I have never been back to a dealer since and do my own work on my car now.

I would want to go with on the test drive and would also be recording it.
The following users liked this post:
xtcnrice (01-25-2015)
Old 01-25-2015, 09:59 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 602 Likes on 369 Posts
Originally Posted by brian6speed
Yes you can wear a clutch out fast. My first manual car my clutch lasted 12 years and 126k miles. My younger brother's first clutch lasted him 2500 miles, lol.

I don't want to scare you, but it probably will. When I first thought my clutch was slipping I took it to Acura Dealer. They wanted to test drive it. I asked to go with on the test drive, but they told me no and to wait in waiting room. Looking back on it, I should have walked out of the dealer. They took it for a drive and when they got back I noticed my front bumper was all smashed up.

The dealer denied hitting anything and said the damage was already there. I told them I just washed the car before bringing it in and know for sure the damage was not there. Then they said well you must have hit something on the way here. Lets just say I have never been back to a dealer since and do my own work on my car now.

Damn that's some bullshit. If a dealer told me I couldn't go for a test drive in my OWN car, I'd tell them fuck off and go somewhere else.
xtcnrice (01-25-2015)
Old 01-26-2015, 01:04 PM
Pro

Received 159 Likes on 105 Posts
Yes, clutches can wear that quickly, and if your commute has lots of stopping and starting, that could contribute. Our Mazda 5 had its clutch replaced last year at only 52k miles, and the shop said that wasn't unusual in the city (downtown Philly). It cost about $1,500; the TSX will probably be more. My TSX has about 86k of mostly highway miles, and the clutch is fine. My 2001 Saab 9-5 Aero's clutch still worked fine when I sold it at 137k, and it was handling MUCH more torque, but with mostly highway miles.
Old 01-26-2015, 01:34 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
^if you operate the clutch properly, you can drive city without hurting it too bad.

its when you're riding the clutch (happens more often in the city) that tears up clutches.
Old 01-26-2015, 02:07 PM
Stay Out Of the Left Lane

Received 1,236 Likes on 1,023 Posts
Originally Posted by brian6speed

Your brother burned up a clutch in 2500 miles?
Old 01-26-2015, 03:12 PM
ROTAREDOM

Received 1,488 Likes on 1,058 Posts
Your first M/T tells me you were probably riding the clutch and didn't even know it. Labor for clutch can cost anywhere form $600-800. clutch disc and pressure plate can be had for around $250 and you can pay to get your flywheel resurfaced.

Sorry to hear man! If you're down for performance parts though, you should buy a civic LSD and have them install it while the tranny is down. You'll probably get all your money back on that Mod. Everyone wants LSD.
Old 01-27-2015, 03:14 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by justnspace
its when you're riding the clutch (happens more often in the city) that tears up clutches.
Yes, that's what my mechanic said. I never ride the clutch, but I don't drive our Mazda much either. "Someone else," also known for occasional lugging in our MT cars, might also ride the clutch. This "someone else" also didn't notice when the clutch was shot to heck. I discovered this as I tried to merge onto an Interstate. Good times. But that's all OK, because she was willing to learn MT and have all our cars so equipped!
Old 01-27-2015, 03:26 PM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
Originally Posted by justnspace
^if you operate the clutch properly, you can drive city without hurting it too bad.

I always leave it in gear at stops with my foot on the clutch. Never had to replace the clutch in the numerous MT vehicles I owned or own.
Old 01-27-2015, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by nj2pa2nc
I always leave it in gear at stops with my foot on the clutch. Never had to replace the clutch in the numerous MT vehicles I owned or own.
Agree with you! I always keep the transmission in gearnwith my foot holding the clutch to the floor. I've been driving MT cars since the late 80's over multiple manufacturers and have not replaced a clutch to date.
Old 01-27-2015, 05:21 PM
ROTAREDOM

Originally Posted by Nedmundo
Yes, that's what my mechanic said. I never ride the clutch, but I don't drive our Mazda much either. "Someone else," also known for occasional lugging in our MT cars, might also ride the clutch. This "someone else" also didn't notice when the clutch was shot to heck. I discovered this as I tried to merge onto an Interstate. Good times. But that's all OK, because she was willing to learn MT and have all our cars so equipped!
lol you solidified my decision to absolutely let my wifey learn on something like a chevy S-10 lol. A new clutch for TSX is as much as an older small pick-up haha
Old 01-28-2015, 09:57 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by ssjoeboe9
lol you solidified my decision to absolutely let my wifey learn on something like a chevy S-10 lol. A new clutch for TSX is as much as an older small pick-up haha
Probably a good idea, but I took a different, probably unwise approach -- I taught her on a brand new 1995 Jetta GLX VR6 after we'd been married only five months! She learned the basics on a drive up to a weekend getaway, and I just handed her the keys for the way back. Incredibly, this worked.

She spent a lot of time driving that Jetta, which had over 100k when we dumped it, and I don't recall ever replacing its clutch. So I'm not 100% sure her driving habits killed the Mazda's clutch prematurely, but that's my bet. The regular lugging is a clue, and when I described riding the clutch, she admitted that was "possible" in the city. (To be fair, her actual shifting technique is very good.) Since then, she's been a little reluctant to drive my TSX, which is just fine by me!

I'll confess that this factor lends some appeal to the 8DCT in the TLX and upcoming 2016 ILX. Probably not enough for me to abandon 6MT if I replace my TSX, but possibly depending on our needs and the other options available at the time.
Old 01-28-2015, 10:07 AM
ROTAREDOM

The clutch is meant to slip, that's what it's there for... but in the city, holding it half way in so you don't have to apply the brakes is not the right way lol. Oh well, at least she knows how.

I tried to teach mine on my tsx, and she was so worried about the clutch it's like she forgot how to steer. We almost ran directly into a curb in a wide open parking lot. SMH lol never again haha
Old 01-28-2015, 07:23 PM
10th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Unfortunately it sounds like your clutch is toast. Probably cost you $700-1k to replace.

My beater accord has 253k miles on the original clutch.
Old 01-28-2015, 08:35 PM
VTEC just kicked in, yo!

Received 1,112 Likes on 876 Posts
^now that's a lotta miles!
Old 01-28-2015, 08:41 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 241 Likes on 185 Posts
Depends on the shop, to do a rip and replace on clutch to drop the LSD into the transmission case on mine, and the clutch install it was 800....
Old 02-01-2015, 10:27 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 527 Likes on 339 Posts
Originally Posted by Nedmundo
I'll confess that this factor lends some appeal to the 8DCT in the TLX and upcoming 2016 ILX. Probably not enough for me to abandon 6MT if I replace my TSX, but possibly depending on our needs and the other options available at the time.
I don't think manual drivers will have much of a choice in the coming years, as the MT is going the way of the Dodo unfortunately. I did end up with an AT this time around because I was getting a little tired of constantly shifting in our traffic and when you have a stop sign at every block (and in many cases within just a few feet) it can get old. At times I miss it but overall not as much as I thought I would...and the paddle shifters, while not the same of course, do help to scratch the itch on occasion.

The DCT tranny intrigues me and once Acura irons out the kinks a little more, it will definitely be on my list.
Old 02-22-2015, 04:14 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,163 Likes on 874 Posts
Originally Posted by nj2pa2nc
This doesn't help your clutch disk. It wears out your engine thrust bearings, though. As well as your clutch's fingers, etc.

You're not supposed to leave the clutch pushed in. It can do quite a bit of damage. Push it in only to shift or take off from a stop.
Old 02-26-2015, 03:55 PM
Racer

Received 104 Likes on 72 Posts
6 year 70,000 mile powertrain warranty. Should be covered right?
Old 02-27-2015, 06:27 PM
Safety Car

I'm not sure they'll cover a worn out clutch under warranty. They might.
Old 02-27-2015, 07:16 PM

Might depend on dealer and/or relationships owner has with dealership. However, I believe most dealers are going to say its a wear item.
Old 02-28-2015, 05:45 AM
it's a car-drive it

Originally Posted by Roland_Bluntzs
This doesn't help your clutch disk. It wears out your engine thrust bearings, though. As well as your clutch's fingers, etc.

You're not supposed to leave the clutch pushed in. It can do quite a bit of damage. Push it in only to shift or take off from a stop.
as stated never had to replace the clutch in the numerous MT vehicles owned. all went way over 100K miles including my 06 tsx. do what works for you.
Old 02-28-2015, 06:43 PM
Safety Car

"Do what works for you"? I'm not sure how holding a clutch down at stoplights helps its life. Do you guys think its slipping while you're idling in neutral or something?

Your clutch would have lasted just as long if you let the pedal rest at stoplights instead of holding it down. It does absolutely nothing for clutch disk life. If anything...its detrimental.

Its like saying you've never broken your arm because you always lift heavy stuff with your back instead of your legs.

It 100% for sure, proven time and time again....is AWFUL for the crank thrust bearings.

Ultimately, you're gonna do what you want to do. I'm just informing you that the fact is its really bad practice to hold down the clutch pedal. Thats not a matter of opinion.

Last edited by BROlando; 02-28-2015 at 06:47 PM.
Old 03-03-2015, 05:42 PM
Safety Car

Tips on making clutches last:

-Dont downshift. Even rev match downshifting will eat up clutch life. Even if you're good at it...you're not going to get it matched perfectly.

-avoid stop and go

-avoid parallel parking or hill starts. I parallel parked a car in SF once. cot dangit.

-don't reverse into your hilly driveway. You'll almost always be slipping the clutch.

When the pedal is part way pushed in while the car is in gear...you are slipping the clutch. The more mismatch you have between driveline RPM and engine RPM, the more you're slipping the clutch.

The disk is splined to the input shaft and hence...attached to the drive line and will always move at driveline RPM.

The pressure plate and flywheel are attached to the engine and will always move at engine RPM.

When your foot is off the pedal, the clutch is in a position where it has the most clamping load and friction...and hence, the least ability or inclination to slip. On a good working clutch that can hold the engine output, there is virtually no slip with the clutch engaged (pedal fully out).

Last edited by BROlando; 03-03-2015 at 05:47 PM.
xtcnrice (03-04-2015)
Old 03-03-2015, 09:08 PM
Unregistered Member

Received 405 Likes on 282 Posts
So if you shift and let off the clutch fast causing the vehicle to do the jerk, does that wear the clutch as well? (Honest question, I've done that numerous times when I first was learning to drive stick). Also when you let off the clutch slowly to not allow the jerk, does that help preserve the clutch or is that bad (another honest question)?

Last edited by Harper; 03-03-2015 at 09:11 PM.
Old 03-03-2015, 10:50 PM
Safety Car

Releasing the clutch slowly as you try to take off will burn up the clutch disk faster. Jerking won't hurt the friction material, but it will wear out the clutch damper springs and motor mounts.

You should be able to find a happy medium. Not too much slip. No jerking back and forth.
Harper (03-04-2015)
Old 03-04-2015, 10:51 AM
it's a car-drive it

"Do what works for you"? I'm not sure how holding a clutch down at stoplights helps its life. Do you guys think its slipping while you're idling in neutral or something?

Your clutch would have lasted just as long if you let the pedal rest at stoplights instead of holding it down. It does absolutely nothing for clutch disk life. If anything...its detrimental.

Its like saying you've never broken your arm because you always lift heavy stuff with your back instead of your legs.

It 100% for sure, proven time and time again....is AWFUL for the crank thrust bearings.

Ultimately, you're gonna do what you want to do. I'm just informing you that the fact is its really bad practice to hold down the clutch pedal. Thats not a matter of opinion.
how many miles have your manual transmission vehicles lasted.
Old 03-04-2015, 12:08 PM
Safety Car

My TSX has 128k miles on it. Runs like day 1.
I sold an EM1 with 175k on it. Ran like day 1.
Sold an 01 GSR that had 150k on it that ran like day 1.

My S2000 has 70k on it and has been heavily tracked since 8 days after buying it. Obviously it runs amazingly well.

The highest mileage car I've had was a 98 civic with 250k on it. It ran like it was new.

I've had quite a few high mileage cars. My EM1 was owned for 75k miles...the clutch had 72k miles when I sold it and there was no sign of slippage. I changed the clutch myself at 103k miles. It was semi worn out at that point.

Idk what the purpose of your inquiry is, though.

Holding in the pedal at stoplights absolutely does nothing for the life of the disk. This is not the reason that your clutches lasted 100k miles. There is nothing astonishing about a 100k mile clutch.

My 01 GSR's 127k mile original clutch was absolutely fine. I changed it because I replaced the trans with a B16 trans (I hate GSR gearing) and thought I might as well replace it while I was in there.
Old 03-04-2015, 12:09 PM
Safety Car

My TSX has 128k miles on it. Runs like day 1.
I sold an EM1 with 175k on it. Ran like day 1.
Sold an 01 GSR that had 150k on it that ran like day 1.

My S2000 has 70k on it and has been heavily tracked since 8 days after buying it. Obviously it runs amazingly well.

The highest mileage car I've had was a 98 civic with 250k on it. It ran like it was new.

I've had quite a few high mileage cars. My EM1 was owned for 75k miles...the clutch had 72k miles when I sold it and there was no sign of slippage. I changed the clutch myself at 103k miles. It was semi worn out at that point.

Idk what the purpose of your inquiry is, though.

Holding in the pedal at stoplights absolutely does nothing for the life of the disk. This is not the reason that your clutches lasted 100k miles. There is nothing astonishing about a 100k mile clutch.

My 01 GSR's 127k mile original clutch was absolutely fine. I changed it because I replaced the trans with a B16 trans (I hate GSR gearing) and thought I might as well replace it while I was in there.
Old 03-04-2015, 12:25 PM

Roland -

I believe nj2pa2nc was looking to see if you have real world long clutch life as she has said she has. While what you have posted in this thread is sound advice, I think the point she is making, the sky won't be falling if you don't follow it to the letter. She has had plenty of longevity with her MTs even though she holds the clutch pedal to the floor instead of releasing it at lights and stops.
Clutch life depends on lots of factors and as I mentioned above, I've been driving MTs for nearly 30 years and have never replaced or even come close to replacing a clutch. Simply out of habit, like nj2pa2nc, I always have held the clutch pedal to the floor when stopped. As mentioned what you have posted is sound advice - but am I (and guessing nj2pa2nc) going to change my driving habits - nope!
nj2pa2nc (03-05-2015)
Old 03-04-2015, 12:31 PM
Safety Car

My intention is not to turn this into some internet battle. I'm saying that its not sound advice to tell someone to hold down the clutch at stoplights in order for it to last longer and here's why:

-lets say that a normal set of diaphragm springs requires 1200lb force to extend fully (pedal all the way down, master cylinder properly adjusted for stroke).

When you push the pedal all the way down, you are putting 1200lb on the throw out bearing, pressure plate face, and most importantly....the thrust bearings of your crank while the car sits with idle-spec oil pressure.

With the pedal left up, however....in neutral, there is nothing on the driveline side that restrains the disk from freely spinning at engine RPM (it will not slip). You're not loading up the assembly with diaphragm spring pressure. You're clamping the friction disk....which is meant to be clamped.

Again...the pedal being depressed while idling does nothing good for the life of any of the above components. Its highly detrimental to quite a few components, however.
Old 03-04-2015, 12:53 PM

No internet battle needed or intended.

Completely understand what you are saying and it all makes sense. However, my driving career and wallet have seen ZERO detrimental impact from not following this. Accordingly as habits are hard to break, I'm not going to change my driving habits.

Look at it this way: Do you always obey the posted speed limits when driving? If you don't, you are putting yourself and the general public at a much higher risk of danger/injury and death. It is much better and safer for everyone if you follow the posted speed limits, so you should slow down and only follow the posted speed limits. "Speed Kills"

Old 03-04-2015, 12:57 PM
Safety Car

No...that comparison doesn't really work.

If I told someone that the safest way to drive is 35mph over the limit because it prevents squirrels from catching you...and that sincs I've never gotten a ticket, it CAN'T be illegal. you might say "hey, do what you want...but you're wrong as hell".

Which is what I said before: something like "you're gonna do what you want...but the fact is that holding the clutch is detrimental to a lot of components and does absolutely nothing to improve disk life".
Old 03-04-2015, 12:59 PM
Safety Car

I dropped a brick on my foot. I've never gotten herpes. So...dropping bricks on your foot is the DIRECT right way to prevent herpes. Agree with me?
MC MiYoung3269 (03-05-2015)
Old 03-04-2015, 01:06 PM

Okay, tell you what. When my clutch fails, I'll have my car towed to your house for your inspection. Upon which you can say "I TOLD YOU SO!!"

I will see you the second Tuesday of next week.
Old 03-04-2015, 01:21 PM
Safety Car

Haha. Sure thing. My rates are reasonable!
Old 03-04-2015, 01:28 PM

Haha. Sure thing. My rates are reasonable!
And I'm sure you would do a hell of a job too -

However I don't see me needing your services.