B1 Service?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 06:06 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
B1 Service?

I would like to ask everybody's opion regrading B1 service. My car is one year old with 11000 miles. MID shows I need B1 servies. Do I really need B1 service? For A1, dealer alreday charge $124. I really can not image how much they are going to charge you for B1 service? Have anybody done B1 service before? I need some inputs. Thanks.
Old 06-19-2010, 12:02 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 82 Likes on 71 Posts
B1 service:

Replace engine oil and filter
Service front and rear brakes
Inspect parking brake adjustments
Inspect tie rod ends, steering gear box and boots
Inspect suspension components
Inspect driveshaft boots
Inspect brake hoses and lines (including ABS)
Rotate tires , inspect for wear and adjust pressure
Check all fluid levels, condition of fluids and check for leaks
Inspect exhaust system
Inspect fuel lines and connections

The 1 code is for tire rotation which you can save $25 by doing it yourself. Normal B1 service should only cost around $200, my dealer charges $80 for A1 service.
Old 06-19-2010, 02:02 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 82 Likes on 71 Posts
Another option for you is to take the car to a Honda dealer instead, they can do the same work for lower price.
Old 06-19-2010, 05:44 AM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
Originally Posted by 09TSXTech
Another option for you is to take the car to a Honda dealer instead, they can do the same work for lower price.
Both acura dealers I take my car for service also sell and service honda's. One of the acura dealers service dept is closed on Saturdays so if you want your acura serviced on that day you have to go over to the honda side (they are next to each other).
Old 06-19-2010, 01:20 PM
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
B1 service:

Replace engine oil and filter
Service front and rear brakes
Inspect parking brake adjustments
Inspect tie rod ends, steering gear box and boots
Inspect suspension components
Inspect driveshaft boots
Inspect brake hoses and lines (including ABS)
Rotate tires , inspect for wear and adjust pressure
Check all fluid levels, condition of fluids and check for leaks
Inspect exhaust system
Inspect fuel lines and connections

The 1 code is for tire rotation which you can save $25 by doing it yourself. Normal B1 service should only cost around $200, my dealer charges $80 for A1 service.
Basically $200 for an oil change and tire rotation. Holy Crap! The rest are just "inspections". What does it mean by "service brakes"?
Old 06-19-2010, 02:31 PM
it's a car-drive it

Originally Posted by hondu
Basically $200 for an oil change and tire rotation. Holy Crap! The rest are just "inspections". What does it mean by "service brakes"?
I think they are talking canadian prices.
Old 06-19-2010, 02:59 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If you don't do these services...does it void your warranty?
Old 06-19-2010, 03:31 PM
Instructor

FWIW: Just at my dealership today, and they have a sign in the delivery bay that says A1 service $68.99. I would imagine that the B1 would be about double given the amount of additional work/checks.
Old 06-19-2010, 03:38 PM
Instructor

I don't think so, those just inspection only. as my understanding, warranty should cover parts at least 4yr/50000miles in US regardless. Those Techs just inspect by bare eyes. It won't make your parts last longer by their "inspections".

I believe Here Maryland they 100% will charge around $200 to have B1 service, b/c they charge me $124 for A1 already. I think I am going to have them to do a oil and filter change for my B1 service. Btw, they charge $54 for Oil and filter change. Do you guys feel is rid off?
Old 06-19-2010, 03:55 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
$54 for an oil change is kinda pricey unless they're putting in synthetic.

I think my Acura dealer charges me $40 for an oil change for my 02 TL-S. That includes a car wash and shuttle ride to and back from my work so it's cool with me.

I haven't taken my TSX in yet so who knows.
The following users liked this post:
AcUrAge703 (04-19-2014)
Old 06-19-2010, 03:59 PM
it's a car-drive it

Originally Posted by tsxuser
I don't think so, those just inspection only. as my understanding, warranty should cover parts at least 4yr/50000miles in US regardless. Those Techs just inspect by bare eyes. It won't make your parts last longer by their "inspections".

I believe Here Maryland they 100% will charge around $200 to have B1 service, b/c they charge me $124 for A1 already. I think I am going to have them to do a oil and filter change for my B1 service. Btw, they charge $54 for Oil and filter change. Do you guys feel is rid off?
is that with synthetic oil- then no but with regular yes
I was looking over the numerous invoices on my 06 tsx
some of my oil change prices were Sharp Honda- Kansas $32.44, Stevenson Acura-NC $31.57 and Lehigh Valley Acura-PA $31.75. These prices included sales tax and they used regular oil. Stevenson and LV hand washed the car and Sharp did not.

Last edited by nj2pa2nc; 06-19-2010 at 04:01 PM.
Old 06-19-2010, 04:29 PM
Instructor

no, $54 is regular one. I don't know why is so expensive in Gaithersburg Maryland.
Old 06-19-2010, 07:40 PM
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
The TSX looks like a relatively easy oil change. Will probably switch to synthetic after 10,000 miles and do my own.
Old 06-22-2010, 09:53 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I work at Tischer Acura in Laurel MD. We charge (with tax):
A - 43
A1 - 65
B1 - 185
Syn O/C - 70

2-6 varies by car but generally:
2 - 220
3 - 90
4 - 1500
5 - 90
6 - 90

Cody
Old 06-23-2010, 09:49 AM
Instructor

Local dealer in Wilkes _Barre Pa wanted $75 to do a synthetic oil change + wash. I laughed at him.
I don't mind paying a little more for dealer service but when it is a outright rip off..... Continue to change it myself, and rotate tires, and do brakes.....
Old 06-29-2010, 03:45 PM
Advanced

My dealership just sent me a coupon for a free B1 service but I need to bring the car in by August 31. I'm at 90% oil life currently and I'm not sure if they'll honor the coupon if my B1 service indicator doesn't show. I'm thinking they'll have to honor it anyway so we'll see. I doubt I'll do enough driving to drop the oil life down to 15%.
Old 06-29-2010, 04:53 PM
it's a car-drive it

Originally Posted by RKeatF1
Local dealer in Wilkes _Barre Pa wanted $75 to do a synthetic oil change + wash. I laughed at him.
I don't mind paying a little more for dealer service but when it is a outright rip off..... Continue to change it myself, and rotate tires, and do brakes.....
motorworld-that is a big dealership
Old 06-29-2010, 04:56 PM
it's a car-drive it

Originally Posted by Omega751
My dealership just sent me a coupon for a free B1 service but I need to bring the car in by August 31. I'm at 90% oil life currently and I'm not sure if they'll honor the coupon if my B1 service indicator doesn't show. I'm thinking they'll have to honor it anyway so we'll see. I doubt I'll do enough driving to drop the oil life down to 15%.
I would have it down by then (probably in the - zone)Right now my oil life is at 5%-due for an oil change which I am getting done Thursday. It will be back down in a few weeks with all the driving I do
Old 07-01-2010, 01:44 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 215 Likes on 169 Posts
When I log in to myacura.com I get an ad for a "national service event" coupon which is an A1 or B1 service for $69.95, expiring July 31. Since I skipped my B1 when it was due on the MID last time (did my own oil change), I plan to take advantage of this to do a B1 (instead of an A1 which is what the MID currently indicates as the next service). FYI.
Old 04-09-2012, 04:09 PM
Advanced

My car indicator just came up for B1 service (5% oil left) and I decided to call around to (3 local Acura dealers) to see how much it would cost.

*Dealership A: $169 (tax incl)
*Dealership B: $99 + tax
*Dealership C: 75 (tax incl)

Dealership C serviceman told me that B (means tire change) and 1 (means tire rotation) and he will inspect the car as well. Very honest and now has my service. Good Thread!
Old 04-09-2012, 05:07 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,276 Likes on 951 Posts
Originally Posted by MrTee12
My car indicator just came up for B1 service (5% oil left) and I decided to call around to (3 local Acura dealers) to see how much it would cost.

*Dealership A: $169 (tax incl)
*Dealership B: $99 + tax
*Dealership C: 75 (tax incl)

Dealership C serviceman told me that B (means tire change) and 1 (means tire rotation) and he will inspect the car as well. Very honest and now has my service. Good Thread!
Although you bumped an ancient thread, I would also suggest that you call a Honda dealer or two - same parts, same fluids.
Old 04-09-2012, 09:32 PM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I will try that next time my service comes up. I never thought about service at a Honda dealer since the last time I wanted to take my Type R to a Honda dealer they told me not to come since they cannot cover any warranty parts. I had a problem with the clutch and was not in need of a service job.
Old 04-10-2012, 05:31 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by TrojanTSX
I will try that next time my service comes up. I never thought about service at a Honda dealer since the last time I wanted to take my Type R to a Honda dealer they told me not to come since they cannot cover any warranty parts. I had a problem with the clutch and was not in need of a service job.
Correct. Warranty Service and maintenance are two different animals.
Old 06-05-2012, 03:22 PM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
For the local DFW guys:

MacChurchill Acura wants $132 for B1 service.
Huggins Honda will do it for $73. I think I will use Huggins unless someone knows of a cheaper deal in DFW?
Old 09-24-2013, 03:06 PM
9th Gear

I go to a Mazda dealership and it is MUCH cheaper there. Of course, you have to make sure that the service advisor follows what the manual says and checks EVERYTHING that is in the manual.
Old 09-24-2013, 05:28 PM
I Spit On You.

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by ewu.bruin
I go to a Mazda dealership and it is MUCH cheaper there. Of course, you have to make sure that the service advisor follows what the manual says and checks EVERYTHING that is in the manual.
Just curious, what made you go to a Mazda dealership to get your Acura serviced?
Old 10-03-2013, 10:18 AM
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Last time I did the B1 service at Goodyear Auto Center for $31.xx including MA tax.
It was a Summer Car Care Package (now is Falls http://www.goodyearautoservice.com/c...t_specials.jsp), that included oil/filter changed (regular oil though), 4-tire rotation, and a bunch of inspections (they call 29-point inspection) plus free alignment but strongly recommend not to do it.
The reason I went with Goodyear was that I emailed my dealer (Peabody) for the quote and they never responded (actually, they got my email, they did email back and promised they would get back to me with quote but they didn't)
Old 10-03-2013, 12:38 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by ewu.bruin
Originally Posted by pinatubo
Last time I did the B1 service at Goodyear Auto Center for $31.xx including MA tax.
It was a Summer Car Care Package (now is Falls www.goodyearautoservice.com/catalog/current_specials.jsp), that included oil/filter changed (regular oil though), 4-tire rotation, and a bunch of inspections (they call 29-point inspection) plus free alignment but strongly recommend not to do it.
The reason I went with Goodyear was that I emailed my dealer (Peabody) for the quote and they never responded (actually, they got my email, they did email back and promised they would get back to me with quote but they didn't)
You can go to cousin Moe's garage and crab shack for service too, but do you really want somebody totally unfamiliar with your car do the service? Where did the Mazda guys get the proper oil and filter and what goo did the Goodyear guys pour in?

Thiese services for our cars are really pretty cheap if you shop around a bit at the local Acura and Honda dealers. Both use the same oil, fluids and filters and work on these cars all the time. Is it woth the risk to have some unknown work on the car to save a few bucks?
Old 10-03-2013, 03:53 PM
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by ceb
You can go to cousin Moe's garage and crab shack for service too, but do you really want somebody totally unfamiliar with your car do the service? Where did the Mazda guys get the proper oil and filter and what goo did the Goodyear guys pour in?

Thiese services for our cars are really pretty cheap if you shop around a bit at the local Acura and Honda dealers. Both use the same oil, fluids and filters and work on these cars all the time. Is it woth the risk to have some unknown work on the car to save a few bucks?
I hear you but there are some points
a. It's not a few bucks difference. It's around $150.
b. Do I trust them, the Goodyear guys? No,yes, yes, no, no, .....
c. Do I trust them, the Acura dealer? No, yes, yes, no, no, .....
Do I really see what they are doing when servicing my car? At Acura, I don't. At Goodyear, I do.
d. Majority of the B1 service is really oil change and tire rotation. Everything else is "eye" inspections.
e. Do Goodyear guys not know our car? Hmmm. I personally think they know more than we do, in general. Oil changing and tire rotation are basic stuff that we, normal people, know, why not them. Will they carelessly do it? Same trust issue with the Acura guys. Different oil viscosity or wrong type??? Well, unless we buy our own, then you guarantee, other than that, again, you have to trust your Acura guys, right.
f. That was the very first time that I didn't go to the Acura dealer. Reason was already listed in my previous post.

Again, it's not about being cheap but about what needs to be done.
Old 10-03-2013, 08:10 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by pinatubo
I hear you but there are some points
a. It's not a few bucks difference. It's around $150.
b. Do I trust them, the Goodyear guys? No,yes, yes, no, no, .....
c. Do I trust them, the Acura dealer? No, yes, yes, no, no, .....
Do I really see what they are doing when servicing my car? At Acura, I don't. At Goodyear, I do.
d. Majority of the B1 service is really oil change and tire rotation. Everything else is "eye" inspections.
e. Do Goodyear guys not know our car? Hmmm. I personally think they know more than we do, in general. Oil changing and tire rotation are basic stuff that we, normal people, know, why not them. Will they carelessly do it? Same trust issue with the Acura guys. Different oil viscosity or wrong type??? Well, unless we buy our own, then you guarantee, other than that, again, you have to trust your Acura guys, right.
f. That was the very first time that I didn't go to the Acura dealer. Reason was already listed in my previous post.

Again, it's not about being cheap but about what needs to be done.
My local dealer does a basic oil change for under $70. That oil change includes all the "B" item checks and I get a printout. If I get a B service at the same dealer then I get the same printouts and spend over $150.

The Acura guys will have the proper filter and oil - that's because that's all they have. If something goes wrong then I have some recourse - what is my recourse at Goodyear if they forget an "o" ring or cross thread the drain plug? That $31 could end up costing you a whole bunch.
Old 10-03-2013, 09:19 PM
TSX AMG Type //M i-VVT

Received 856 Likes on 643 Posts
Oil change and tire rotation... i can do that myself for much cheaper than $70 and in under an hour. Now if i take my car to the Acura dealership they take hours, go through all my shit, move my seat, "wash" my car when i tell them not too, fuck with my mirrors, etc. imo much better to just do it yourself. And then you know exactly what was done too.
Old 10-04-2013, 07:20 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by iCrap
Oil change and tire rotation... i can do that myself for much cheaper than $70 and in under an hour. Now if i take my car to the Acura dealership they take hours, go through all my shit, move my seat, "wash" my car when i tell them not too, fuck with my mirrors, etc. imo much better to just do it yourself. And then you know exactly what was done too.
Easy to say, but most owners don't have the space/time/tools/knowledge/interest and have a choice of dealer/indy/iffy lube - the idiots go to iffy lube and get their cars screwed up.
Old 10-04-2013, 10:29 AM
TSX AMG Type //M i-VVT

Well that's true. I'd never take my car to jiffy lube though after reading all the horror stories.

The acura dealership gave me free oil changes for a year but i don't even think i will use them since its such a hassle. They won't give me a loaner car when i go in either (probably cause i am under 25?)
Old 10-04-2013, 05:58 PM
Will chop for food...

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I used to just do everything on both my TLs at home (not much cheaper since I used Royal Purple oil and filter), but now I just drop the TSX off at Acura and get a loaner if I'm busy or stay and have free Starbucks and a massage when the masseuse is there some Saturdays if I'm not busy.
Old 10-04-2013, 10:03 PM
TSX AMG Type //M i-VVT

Originally Posted by Skwatoe
I used to just do everything on both my TLs at home (not much cheaper since I used Royal Purple oil and filter), but now I just drop the TSX off at Acura and get a loaner if I'm busy or stay and have free Starbucks and a massage when the masseuse is there some Saturdays if I'm not busy.
You have that at your Acura dealer?!
Old 10-04-2013, 11:13 PM
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts
Diy ,you will save whole heap.
Or find a trusted mech and get him to service.

I do all my services and benifets are huge,use oil and filter i want,take care so no damage to car and know its done.

Theres too many horrid stories being charged for oil change and it never gets done,damages to car bla bla.

I know not all mech are like this but they are hard to find, end of day its your cash and ip to you.
Old 10-05-2013, 08:11 AM
it's a car-drive it

Originally Posted by boki_cu2
Diy ,you will save whole heap.
Or find a trusted mech and get him to service.

I do all my services and benifets are huge,use oil and filter i want,take care so no damage to car and know its done.

Theres too many horrid stories being charged for oil change and it never gets done,damages to car bla bla.

I know not all mech are like this but they are hard to find, end of day its your cash and ip to you.
that is great you diy-personally I have no desire nor knowledge. Do not want to learn. My car is 100% stock-mod money goes to having the service done by someone else not me.

Last edited by nj2pa2nc; 10-05-2013 at 08:16 AM.
Old 10-05-2013, 08:26 AM
it's a car-drive it

Well that's true. I'd never take my car to jiffy lube though after reading all the horror stories.

The acura dealership gave me free oil changes for a year but i don't even think i will use them since its such a hassle. They won't give me a loaner car when i go in either (probably cause i am under 25?)
when they did the investigation of jiffy lubes they also said there were very good ones with seemed to be forgotten.
Old 10-05-2013, 08:45 AM
TSX AMG Type //M i-VVT

Originally Posted by nj2pa2nc
when they did the investigation of jiffy lubes they also said there were very good ones with seemed to be forgotten.
Yeah but you really can't know which ones are the good ones and which are the bad ones. You have to assume the shop will do as little as work as possible and also try to make the most money off you. You have no idea what they are doing when they take your car into the shop (And they don't let you watch usually)
Old 10-05-2013, 09:07 AM
it's a car-drive it

Yeah but you really can't know which ones are the good ones and which are the bad ones. You have to assume the shop will do as little as work as possible and also try to make the most money off you. You have no idea what they are doing when they take your car into the shop (And they don't let you watch usually)
the jiffy lube near me has a window so you can watch everything that is being done. It gets excellent reviews-many of my neighbors go there.

Quick Reply: B1 Service?