what transmission do i have and what oil is best?

Old 03-21-2017, 04:10 PM
Pro

Received 61 Likes on 57 Posts
I too am thankful that after 11 years of owning and working on my TL, we finally have someone here who knows it all. All I've done is swap my own tranny out for an AV6, and also before that I brought my tranny back from the dead at 170K to last until 206K, but according to our new friend I am an "idiot" so I'll just keep the details to myself. I'm actually going to flush all the DW1 out for redline and maxlife after his 100 miles of pure success with it.
Old 03-21-2017, 07:43 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by thoiboi
Curious why did you opt for Valvoline oil as opposed to ATF DW1 from Honda?
Mainly because of availability . I looked into it after you mentioned it and the only place I could find it near me was more than 30 minutes away with no traffic in a direction I never need to go, so that night I looked into trans fluid for these particular trannies a bit more and found a lot of info on the various oils that people run in them, and the majority of the ones I found use the Valvoline I mentioned which was available at a store that is less than 10 minutes from my home . There was mention of people using this oil and having over 100,000 miles on both rebuilt and orig trannies and they still work fine with no noticeable change in performance . The info came from a couple other Acura sites and a site dedicated to oil called bobistheoilguy.com . I also read about some people on this site using a combination of Red Line Racing fluid or all Red Line Racing fluid because it does not have friction modifiers, or at least not nearly as many as the DW1 and most other tranny fluids have, and I have mixed type F with dexron/mercon before in other trannies to "adjust" the firmness of the shifts and so have many other people so I knew it would not create a problem providing I only used a small amount.

The max life has also been proven to be virtually shear free in several tests, which means its viscosity does not change to any significant degree over time . The Z1 fluid shears a great deal which may be one of the causes of premature failure in some of these transmissions.

Here's just one of several threads regarding it.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forum...pics/2946485/1
Old 03-21-2017, 07:55 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by SuperGreg
I too am thankful that after 11 years of owning and working on my TL, we finally have someone here who knows it all. All I've done is swap my own tranny out for an AV6, and also before that I brought my tranny back from the dead at 170K to last until 206K, but according to our new friend I am an "idiot" so I'll just keep the details to myself. I'm actually going to flush all the DW1 out for redline and maxlife after his 100 miles of pure success with it.
ummmm...hey stupor greg, after you sober up you should try doing some research before you humiliate yourself by making comments on things you obviously know absolutely zero about .

Originally Posted by SuperGreg
....I brought my tranny back from the dead at 170K to last until 206K,...
ummm...sorry, but according to several people on this thread it is impossible to bring a tranny back from the "dead" like you allege you did and like I actually did . oh wait, maybe it wasn't really dead like they said it was.
Old 03-21-2017, 08:41 PM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Angry

Originally Posted by barnett468
ummm...sorry, but according to several people on this thread it is impossible to bring a tranny back from the "dead" like you allege you did and like I actually did . oh wait, maybe it wasn't really dead like they said it was.
Semantics. Dead to some means it doesn't work at all or you'll be walking soon. Dead to others means it still works and I don't mind walking soon. If you're strictly going by the bottom line, spending less than a rental on the car for as long as it lasts - a day, a week, a month then you're ahead at the moment (minus time spent fiddling around I suppose). As long as you don't incur any costs when it doesn't move anymore, you'll be ahead I guess. Then there are other less scrupulous folks who would sell the car if it's running good and not disclose the tranny problems, but of course, I know you're not one of those.
Old 03-21-2017, 09:28 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by tripleguy
Semantics. Dead to some means it doesn't work at all or you'll be walking soon. Dead to others means it still works and I don't mind walking soon. If you're strictly going by the bottom line, spending less than a rental on the car for as long as it lasts - a day, a week, a month then you're ahead at the moment (minus time spent fiddling around I suppose). As long as you don't incur any costs when it doesn't move anymore, you'll be ahead I guess. Then there are other less scrupulous folks who would sell the car if it's running good and not disclose the tranny problems, but of course, I know you're not one of those.
I have an AAA tow card so I will not incur any costs if it dies before I retire it, also, the salvage yard will not only give me some money for it if it dies, they will come pick it up for free so I will not incur any costs disposing of it either if I go that way, however, I can easily part it out and get a few thousand dollars back, then pay around $200.00 to have it delivered to the local recycling center, therefore, I have nothing to loose and will only gain if it dies.

As far as the time I spent on fixing the trans and getting the codes cleared and buying the parts etc, it is probably around a total of 14 hours and I spent more time getting the parts than I did actually working on it . Since the dealer near me charges well over $100.00 an hour and way more for the parts and oil than I paid and I had spare time to do it, the time and cost was relatively nominal . They wanted $390.00 for the top solenoids . I got factory Honda ones from autozone for $260.00, lol.

As far as selling a car that has tranny problems and not disclosing them, well it no longer has tranny problems, therefore, there is nothing to disclose, however, you are correct in that unlike many people, even though the trans now works just fine, I would tell prospective buyers what was wrong and what I did to fix it and they can make their decision based on that as well as on how it drives and shifts etc, which in fact is basically perfectly, and it is only a wild guess as to when the trans will truly die, but in my case, I am already just about breaking even from not having to pay for a rental car, therefore, from here on out I get farther ahead every day it continues to run.

Search this Thread