vsa/triangle light, old SRS light (neutralisation does not work), no cruise control

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2017, 06:30 PM
K-Fed's Stunt Double

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
vsa/triangle light, old SRS light (neutralisation does not work), no cruise control

hi guys,

after swapping in an 03 navigation wiring harness, my car has run better than it did before. i suspect the replacement blower motor that was wired into my old harness was done so poorly, as i had experienced a lot of weird issues (unintended acceleration in drive, odometer that'd jump a little when the blower motor would draw power, etc).

after doing the ABS clear and trying to perform vehicle position neutralisation as per described here: Error Code 84 - VSA sensor neutral position memorization - Acura TSX Forum i am lead to believe i cannot get out of paying the "stealership" the money to reset the codes.

from what i have read, the TCS/VSA lights cannot be cleared by an OBD reader and/or using the TCS reset described in the manual (both the method in the manual and the one on tsxclub give the same result, the abs/srs light blink in diff patterns but do not terminate as described at the end).
the mechanics i went to tried this, and it wouldn't clear which leads me to believe there is a stubborn code that needs a honda code reader or something.

ABS works great (lots of snow) so the wiring harness is not the problem. saw someone mentioned a faulty TCS switch being the issue, which was a possibility in my case but i pulled one from the salvage yard and it made no difference.

what is also interesting is that i cannot use cruise control either, and the VSA light is off when i start the car but turns on again around 60KM/h (or 40MPH). the triangle and SRS lights have remained on.

the SRS light is from an old accident (8 years ago) and i ended up pulling a new driver side module recently and replacing it. i suspect that i need honda to reset both the SRS and triangular lights using their honda code reader?

the car runs great and all other sensors seem fine. TCS definitely does not work as it does not throttle the motor when the front wheels spin, and given the VSA turning on around 40MPH i am thinking there is a relationship between these two.

could the SRS code be getting in the way of resetting the VSA/triangular light?

thanks.
Old 03-10-2017, 07:09 PM
Pro

Received 61 Likes on 57 Posts
I have reset both of those codes on my TL successfully. SRS should not get in the way of resetting VSA. SRS needs to be reset with a jumper on a connector under the dashboard. What is the exact procedure you're doing to reset the VSA light? Note that it will not reset if there is a fault in the system. Is error code 84 the only error you have? If there are ABS error codes I don't think it will reset.
Old 03-10-2017, 07:21 PM
K-Fed's Stunt Double

per jaystone on this post regarding no cruise control (light on switch is on, but does not light up on instrument cluster) https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-tl-p...ntrol-738998/:

Originally Posted by jaystone
I just purchased a very nice used 2002 TL – S. The Cruise Control is not working. Looked through forums found lots of information. Here is what my problem description is:
Lower Left Dashboard Cruise Button pushed in, Light On.
Instrument Panel light does not come on. Special KUDOS to fsttyms1 and Trackrumer228 for their posts here, especially fsttyms1.

What I have discovered thanks to those people is:
The Instrument Panel light being on or off is determined (assuming a good light) by the cruise brake sensor being adjusted properly. I just went out and determined this by inspecting the brake sensor (seeing how it worked). I had tried fsttyms1’s recommendation of pulling up on the brake pedal but that had not worked; there was no play in my pedal at all. I noticed while inspecting the plunger switch that the plunger did not go ALL the way into its female host. (ALL THE WAY IN = NO BRAKES APPLIED) I taped together 3 pennies and then taped the pennies around the button that makes contact with the plunger; that made the plunger go all the way in. I took the car out for a drive and NOW the instrument panel light is ON but still no cruise.

I will need to inspect the cables tomorrow with a friend. The pics in IllinoisREI’s post are okay if you know what a GOOD one looks like. They’re helpful but only partially. I inspected my Throttle Body this AM and all I could tell was that there are two cables there and things move. I checked the Cruise Control Box (Near The windshield washer fluid) and did notice something interesting. Depending on how much I turned the mechanism to move the cable it did NOT always return to its home position, ALMOST LIKE THE CABLE ON THE OTHER END IS DISCONNECTED??? I will have to check that out in the AM.
i bought a new brake switch and returned it upon feeling the plastic end that retracts upon being contact with the brake pedal, as it felt the same as the new module.

is it possible that my switch coudl be faulty even though the part that recedes upon contact with the brake pedal was responsive?

thanks
Old 03-10-2017, 07:40 PM
K-Fed's Stunt Double

Originally Posted by SuperGreg
I have reset both of those codes on my TL successfully. SRS should not get in the way of resetting VSA. SRS needs to be reset with a jumper on a connector under the dashboard. What is the exact procedure you're doing to reset the VSA light? Note that it will not reset if there is a fault in the system. Is error code 84 the only error you have? If there are ABS error codes I don't think it will reset.
yo.

no ABS errors at all. ABS works perfectly okay.
using the 4/9 paper clip in the OBD connector successfully clears the ABS codes (two blinks)

but the step after where you push the VSA button in coordination the ABS button results in the SRS and ABS light flashing in a pattern (no other lights flash). in that sequence, i noticed they flash together once (at the same time), but had different patterns.
- mechanics tried the SRS reset via jumper to the yellow connector under driver's side fuse panel (MBD or whatever?), but the car wouldn't "take it".

given that the VSA/triangle light part of the procedure (hit vsa when abs goes off when turning on ignition, then hit it again when ABS comes back on) "reset" is actually neutralising the position (i.e. "zeroing out" the car's position so the relative measurements aren't causing errors), the aforementioned ABS & SRS blinking sure screams OPDS module.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/ac...01318_opds.pdf
saw this service bulletin two days ago.

when my front left wheel hit the curb hard and broke the shock absorber, it deployed the left side airbag (but not the wheel). i wonder if the ensuing SRS light stores some sort of position information, and if that light has been sitting there with it for the past 7-8 years.

i got a new bag last week and i am wondering if the honda datalink connector affords the mechanics options that a generic obd2 cannot, which in this case would pertain to zeroing out some information held by the car harness (the honda mechanic probably can get wire harness-specific operations just by connecting)
Old 03-10-2017, 07:42 PM
K-Fed's Stunt Double

bingo:
per this guy here https://acurazine.com/forums/second-...tester-440661/

Originally Posted by mr tl
the one that honda uses is by far the best. it'll let you temporarily disable certain features which is nice
it'll set you back a couple grand easily

the scanners the public buys usually only reads ecm values
i suspect the wire harness is OBD2 *compliant* meaning it will allow you to pull rudimentary information using a universal interface, however it may "offer" more information that may not comply with the typical obd2 standard when using the honda PGM tester.

ugh the STEALERSHIP -__-
Old 03-10-2017, 08:15 PM
K-Fed's Stunt Double

yeah i think i'm going to have to get it looked at. should get them to order the airbag inflator for the recall, too.

the left side of my seat cover popped when the bag went off, so i suspect that is part of the problem (the sensor is expecting some tension from the seat cover that is absent, probably causing the sensor to stay on).
my usual mechanics said the light wouldn't stay when they did the MES method, which would probably be because it doesn't allow you to recalibrate the sensor readings to account for the decreased force on the top of the module (airbag).

hopefully their diagnosis (pgm tester, honda data system cable, whatever) will allow them to set these.
Old 03-10-2017, 08:31 PM
K-Fed's Stunt Double

vsa/triangle light, old SRS light (neutralisation does not work), no cruise control-23ydxcl.png

per page 19-52, i would expect both DTC 34 and 36 to go off (new harness, new reference voltages).

question is, can the PGM tester set these? i hope so?
Old 03-10-2017, 09:53 PM
K-Fed's Stunt Double

UPDATE: THERE IS ANOTHER VSA NEUTRALISATION THAT SHOULD BE TRIED BEFORE TAKING YOUR CAR TO THE DEALER.

PER PAGE 19-189 OF THE SERVICE MANUAL:

engage your vehicle's parking brake
2. jumper 4 & 9
3. release the parking brake
4. hold the (regular) brake down and turn on the ignition (ii)
5. after the ABS light goes off. rapidly push the parking brake, release it, and push it again.

your indicator will flash twice if done correctly.

i turned on my car and the indicator is now gone (srs still there though).

i suspect engaging the parking brake prior to jumpering 4&9 resets the TCS ground (i.e. reference voltage), so ensure it is engaged before doing the jumpers (it did not work for me when i did steps 2-5, which was my first attempt. second attempt was as described above and worked).

awesomeeeeeeeeeee

Last edited by broly; 03-10-2017 at 09:54 PM. Reason: bolding bullets because i feel this is a new vsa reset wrinkle people should try
Old 03-11-2017, 06:21 AM
Pro

Received 61 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by drtoth
yeah i think i'm going to have to get it looked at. should get them to order the airbag inflator for the recall, too.

the left side of my seat cover popped when the bag went off, so i suspect that is part of the problem (the sensor is expecting some tension from the seat cover that is absent, probably causing the sensor to stay on).
my usual mechanics said the light wouldn't stay when they did the MES method, which would probably be because it doesn't allow you to recalibrate the sensor readings to account for the decreased force on the top of the module (airbag).

hopefully their diagnosis (pgm tester, honda data system cable, whatever) will allow them to set these.
The neutral calibration is simply for the vehicle dynamics sensors (yaw, etc). Sounds like you got the procedure correct though, you need to follow them exactly! I had an issue once on my dad's CRV because I was holding in the brake or something when I shouldn't have.