Transmission shifting

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2017, 04:05 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transmission shifting

I took my 2003 Acura to the Acura dealership in Nashua New Hampshire because a couple days ago my car started hard shifting from 2nd to 3rd and 4th the code that they pulled up was p0730 I called another transmission company because Acura wanted to charge me $6,000 for a new trainee so I called another one they want 2400 but they also said that it might be other things that it's shifting hard Acura told me that my transmission fluid looks dark and that I should change my transmission fluid every 30000 miles not once have I ever owned a car and did that in my cars have lasted me forever so I'm on here trying to figure out exactly what it is because I'm going to be taking my van into another transmission place that have it looked at to see why it's skipping gears so I wanted to write this to get some input on what it could be for a 2003 Acura TL it does have high mileage over 2000 something mileage on it so any input would be greatly appreciated thank you
Old 03-13-2017, 05:07 PM

Received 1,016 Likes on 867 Posts
Hi and Welcome to the Forums!

Search for the now uncountable Transmission Issues Threads, This car has a bad transmission that has a design failure that will make it die sooner than expected.
If the transmission is truly dead DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY REBUILDING IT! I cannot stress the importance of this, DO NOT REBUILD OR SWAP FOR A SIMILAR TRANSMISSION.
Check the AV6 Swap Thread in the main page for more information.

Now the silver-lining here is that you got a P0730 which is a different code than the P0740 (This code means trans is dead 99% of the Times). Get it to a reputable shop that wont try to force you a new trans because of incompetence.

DO NOT REBUILD IT!!!

DO
NOT
REBUILD
IT
Old 03-21-2017, 03:25 AM
Drifting

Received 480 Likes on 421 Posts
Originally Posted by Tamra Deeann Perry
I took my 2003 Acura to the Acura dealership in Nashua New Hampshire because a couple days ago my car started hard shifting from 2nd to 3rd and 4th the code that they pulled up was p0730 I called another transmission company because Acura wanted to charge me $6,000 for a new trainee so I called another one they want 2400 but they also said that it might be other things that it's shifting hard Acura told me that my transmission fluid looks dark and that I should change my transmission fluid every 30000 miles not once have I ever owned a car and did that in my cars have lasted me forever so I'm on here trying to figure out exactly what it is because I'm going to be taking my van into another transmission place that have it looked at to see why it's skipping gears so I wanted to write this to get some input on what it could be for a 2003 Acura TL it does have high mileage over 2000 something mileage on it so any input would be greatly appreciated thank you
I wouldn't give up on your trans if I was you. Check out the link below... Post #49.

https://acurazine.com/forums/second-...-955814/page2/
Old 03-25-2017, 11:57 AM
Intermediate

The fact that your trans shifts hard means that there is definitely hope and that it may not need a complete rebuild, however, since it does have 200,000 miles on it, the reality is that even if you can get it to shift properly, or at least good enough to drive it, it will most likely expire soon . This might be in a week, or a month or a year etc, and you have gotten more miles out of your trans than most people have.

I had the EXACT same problem it sounds like you have on my 2003 TL with the exception that my trans would slam into 2nd and 3rd and wouldn't even shift into 4th or 5th when I first got it and my code was 0740, and several people on this site told me my trans was completely dead and that it was a waste of money putting any money into it etc which was wrong because I fixed it and it now has been working perfectly every day for more than a week . The link that 01acls posted is mine and it explains in detail what I did to fix it, however, this does not mean that the same things that I did will fix yours but they were simple fixes and not overly expensive.

Member 01acls also offered me great info in a polite and courteous manner, and from what I have seen on this site, he is by far the most knowledgeable person regarding this trans so I would heed anything he posts at this point.

One issue you will have is finding a trans shop that is EXTREMELY knowledgeable with this trans that will also not overcharge you . Trans rebuilding is a bit of a racket and many shops get way more than they are worth in my experience.

Here is a link explaining what the 0730 code means, however,unfortunately, when your car gets a code, it does not always mean that the problem is with one of the items the code reference guide says it is and this is when it can become complicated to determine exactly what the actual cause of the problem is.

P0730 - OBD-II Trouble Code

Common Problems That Trigger the P0730 Code
  • Defective Shift Solenoids
  • Defective Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor
  • Defective Valve Body
  • Dirty transmission fluid that restricts the hydraulic passages
Common Misdiagnoses
  • Engine Misfire problem
  • Internal Transmission problem

If you have a friend that is a mechanic, they can easily do a couple things to see if they can bring it back to life and I and others here can explain how to do these things or simply post youtube videos that explain how to do them, but in your particular case, if you want to invest a little money to see if you can get it going again, I would at least do the following.

Change the trans fluid 3 times as mentioned in my thread with Valvoline Max Life dexron/mercon . The fluid will cost a total of around $75.00.

Check the solenoids to see if they are operating, however, even if they test good, they may still be bad or may improve shifting if they are adjusted.

Clean the solenoid screens. One of mine was nearly 100% clogged . I have not checked the other one yet . Just because it is clogged it does not mean that your trans is dead, it simply means that the internal parts are wearing . It may or may not be worn beyond repair and the only way to know this for certain is to disassemble it and measure the parts etc.

Install a new external filter.

REBUILDING THE TRANSMISSION

A rebuilt trans will easily go 100,000 miles or more providing it is rebuilt PROPERLY, and this is where the problem comes in because in my experience, there are very few shops that know how to do it properly.

The AV6 trans swap/upgrade is a good one, however, unless you get one that is PROPERLY rebuilt instead of a used one, you run a risk of paying a lot of money to install a bad trans . The lower the mileage is on the vehicle the AV6 trans comes out of, the more likely it is to be good so if you want to try a used one, I would look for one that has no more than around 75,000 miles on it at the most and bear in mind that even if it does work fine it might only go for another 10,000 but it might go for another 50,000 . Unfortunately it is a gamble.
Old 03-25-2017, 05:26 PM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by barnett468
Change the trans fluid 3 times as mentioned in my thread with Valvoline Max Life dexron/mercon . The fluid will cost a total of around $75.00.
Agree - I'd start with the 3x3 drain and fill but I'd use genuine Honda ATF as mentioned hundreds of times on this forum. Honda engineered this formula specifically to combat the problems inherent in their transmission design.
Old 03-25-2017, 06:14 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by tripleguy
Agree - I'd start with the 3x3 drain and fill but I'd use genuine Honda ATF as mentioned hundreds of times on this forum. Honda engineered this formula specifically to combat the problems inherent in their transmission design.
One of the problems with the trannies was the original fluid Honda used which sheared to a much thinner weight than what it started at . The Valvoline is virtually shear free and countless numbers of people use it and have no problems and it is less costly and far more easy to come by than the DW1 fluid . Another problem is that some people think these are race cars and beat the crap out of them which in turn causes premature tranny failure than they complain and incorrectly claim that the tranny is a pos.
Old 03-25-2017, 07:04 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by barnett468
One of the problems with the trannies was the original fluid Honda used which sheared to a much thinner weight than what it started at . The Valvoline is virtually shear free and countless numbers of people use it and have no problems and it is less costly and far more easy to come by than the DW1 fluid . Another problem is that some people think these are race cars and beat the crap out of them which in turn causes premature tranny failure than they complain and incorrectly claim that the tranny is a pos.
No again. The problem wasn't the fluid - it was the design of the 5 speed stuffed into the 4 speed transmission housing. As for beating them, the car came with Sport Shift and was meant to (as opposed to designed to) be driven aggressively. Numerous TSBs on this as well as tons of evidence of failures, some leading to deaths. You can believe what you want to believe. You've owned your car for how long now and yet profess to be an expert? I would suggest that anyone with Honda transmission experience in the form of owning and repairing one of the Honda V6 automatic transmissions manufactured from 1999 to 2005, take the advice of the countless people on this and other forums who have dealt with this issue. Your week or two experience is not going to equate to a long-term or even mid-term solution. Once you have driven your code throwing, hard shifting car for 10,000 miles or more, you can weigh in with your fix.
Old 03-25-2017, 08:38 PM
Intermediate

No again. The problem wasn't the fluid - it was the design of the 5 speed stuffed into the 4 speed transmission housing. As for beating them, the car came with Sport Shift and was meant to (as opposed to designed to) be driven aggressively. Numerous TSBs on this as well as tons of evidence of failures, some leading to deaths. You can believe what you want to believe. You've owned your car for how long now and yet profess to be an expert? I would suggest that anyone with Honda transmission experience in the form of owning and repairing one of the Honda V6 automatic transmissions manufactured from 1999 to 2005, take the advice of the countless people on this and other forums who have dealt with this issue. Your week or two experience is not going to equate to a long-term or even mid-term solution. Once you have driven your code throwing, hard shifting car for 10,000 miles or more, you can weigh in with your fix.
FACT - Yes, the fluid was part of the problem.

FACT - Yes, they put a sport shift in it which suggested to owners that it was a race car that could be beat on but that does NOT change the fact that it is not a race car trans and that they last much longer if they are not beat on . I know way more about trannies in general than most people but I did not profess to be an expert as you wrongly claim, therefore I suggest you take some reading comprehension improvement classes.

FACT - This is NOT the only Acura forum and it does NOT have a monopoly on Acura knowledge.
Old 03-25-2017, 09:36 PM
Advanced

FACT - You do profess to be an expert (don't make me quote your 50 years of automotive experience and other quips)
FACT - You are condescending and a poster child for Dunning - Kruger effect.
FACT - You have way, way less experience with modern, Honda transmissions than many who have weighed in here (per your own admission).
FACT - The bogus stuff you spout may steer people seeking knowledge, in the wrong direction.
FACT - any car will last longer if you don't beat on it (duhh).

Now that I've got that off my chest, have a nice day. To the OP and anyone else reading this post, please don't put a lot of stock on what Barnett is offering. Take the word of people (not me) who have been at this a long time and know what they are talking about with this particular transmission. They know the design flaws and its shortcomings and will give you proper advice. All I can attest to is experience from owning an 2002 Honda Odyssey with the same crap tranny and a 1999 TL with a much more reliable 4 speed. Both have been maintained with genuine Honda ATF.
Old 03-25-2017, 09:43 PM

but
As thoiboi suggested "Mod Hat On"
I know you are trying to help "tripleguy" but please do not engage him any further.. People his age are very Stubborn and its futile to keep arguing with him as nothing will come off it.
Old 03-25-2017, 10:10 PM
Intermediate

Once you have driven your code throwing, hard shifting car for 10,000 miles or more, you can weigh in with your fix.
ummm...triplegay, your lack of reading comprehension skills are unparalleled . I suggest you find the nearest 5th grader and have them read, then explain to you, what my words in my post on my thread mean . My car does NOT throw codes or shift hard.
Old 03-25-2017, 10:28 PM
Intermediate

FACT - You do profess to be an expert (don't make me quote your 50 years of automotive experience and other quips)
FACT - You are condescending and a poster child for Dunning - Kruger effect.
FACT - You have way, way less experience with modern, Honda transmissions than many who have weighed in here (per your own admission).
FACT - The bogus stuff you spout may steer people seeking knowledge, in the wrong direction.
FACT - any car will last longer if you don't beat on it (duhh).

Now that I've got that off my chest, have a nice day. To the OP and anyone else reading this post, please don't put a lot of stock on what Barnett is offering. Take the word of people (not me) who have been at this a long time and know what they are talking about with this particular transmission. They know the design flaws and its shortcomings and will give you proper advice.
LOL

FACT - I did NOT profess to be an expert regarding this specific transmission
FACT - Nothing bogus about anything I posted.
FACT - Nothing I posted will do any harm to this type of transmission.
FACT - You are the one whom initially made a condescending remark to me and because you didn't like my reply to it you are now crying for your mommy trying to twist the FACTS around in a feeble attempt to make it appear as if I initiated the situation.

All I can attest to is experience from owning an 2002 Honda Odyssey with the same crap tranny and a 1999 TL with a much more reliable 4 speed. Both have been maintained with genuine Honda ATF.
You now admit what is blatantly obvious to me which is, your mechanical knowledge and knowledge about oil is extremely limited, yet you bloviate and pontificate, expousing that I am wrong and you are right, xln't job Adolph.

Old 03-25-2017, 10:47 PM

barnett468 I do not understand why you have to follow through your previous comment 18 minutes later but:
1.- Please refrain from calling names.
2.- Stop Antagonizing people, Your second response was entirely to provoke him.
Old 03-25-2017, 11:12 PM
Pro

Received 61 Likes on 59 Posts
Following the SIMPLE 30k mile change of the atf the transmission will help it last longer. Overall though the fluid design of the new DW1 does not make a real big difference in longevity of these transmissions.

The main reason the transmission fails is a bad design in the way the third gear pack is fed atf. If one takes apart the transmission it is more easily understood.

Cleaning solenoids and changing fluid helps sure...but your transmission will still fail eventually.
Old 03-25-2017, 11:24 PM

For sure!
I actually recommend changing the ATF Every year because of the wear breakdown that its stressed to due to the 3rd gear clutch basket, Old ATF with debris makes it lose its viscosity faster and will affect the clutch pack.. Even then is not guaranteed to help, Fatty also pointed that out since he did fast ATF changes for a while and the trans still died the same. DW-1 main advantage is the different Anti-Slip packages that makes for a more firm shift than Z1, I remember when I first test it out before it became Mainstream (https://acurazine.com/forums/second-...-1-atf-821230/) and it surprised me how firm the transmission shifts got.. Z1 was really allowing more slippage so the shifts were smoother but the oil broke down faster.

Blackstone Lab analysis were here somewhere but I cannot find them.
DW-1 for sure is Superior to Z1.. Universal ATF does not stand a chance to a dedicated OEM Oil but The use of Redline RACING oil was exactly to keep as low slip additives as possible which made up for an even firmer shifts.
Old 03-25-2017, 11:38 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Skirmich
barnett468 I do not understand why you have to follow through your previous comment 18 minutes later but:
1.- Please refrain from calling names.
2.- Stop Antagonizing people, Your second response was entirely to provoke him.
FACT - He initiated the problem . If he does not like how people reply to his abrasive comments he should not make them.

Don't start nothin and there won't be nothin.

Originally Posted by Skirmich

but
As thoiboi suggested "Mod Hat On"
I know you are trying to help "tripleguy" but please do not engage him any further.. People his age are very Stubborn and its futile to keep arguing with him as nothing will come off it.
You yourself are being hypocritical by telling me not to antagonize him and then making a comment that is meant to antagonize me . Why don''t some of you grow up and act like "mature" adults instead of children . None of this rhetoric is useful to the poor op whom came to this site for help and may very well leave to go to another site because of it . Also, your responsibility as a moderator is to be "moderate" and to try to mediate any problems . It is NOT your job to create problems or make existing ones bigger by making antagonizing comments to people.

Old 03-26-2017, 02:07 AM

I stopped him from continuing to comment on yourself while he didn´t have to and he stopped.
But please continue and you will be banned, So suit yourself.

Last edited by Skirmich; 03-26-2017 at 02:32 AM.
Old 03-26-2017, 08:41 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,181 Likes on 1,210 Posts
To Barnett and tripleguy, consider this a warning. If this type of behavior continues -from either of you - you will be given a forced vacation from this site. If either of you have ANY questions regarding this admonition, PM Skirmich and/ or myself. Thank you in advance for your anticipated cooperation.

This thread is closed.
The following users liked this post:
cu2wagon (03-26-2017)