Shifting Issue and Multiple Misfire Codes.

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2017, 06:42 AM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Shifting Issue and Multiple Misfire Codes.

Hey Guys, so I have what seems like endless issues going on with my car.
Before I get started, I have a 2002 Acura TL Type-S. A little over 195,000 miles, I recently purchased from a friend. The vehicle was sitting in his garage for about a year.

I posted another thread with a starting issue, but this is to cover some major issues I'm having with the vehicle once it is actually started.

For starters, the vehicle shifts very late and delayed. Once I hit about 10-15 MPH, the car seems to be stuck. It will only shift at 5000 RPM's or higher. With WOT it just seems like it's revving and not going anywhere then it finally shifts hard into next gear and repeats issue when I get to about 40MPH. Whenever it gets stuck the check engine light begins flashing which leads me to the next issue.

Next, I have 8 misfire codes. One is like P1399, Acura Specific code. P0300 - Random Multiple Misfire and P0301-P0306, a misfire in every cylinder. I've replaced the plugs a couple weeks ago with NGK Platinum's but nothing changed. I've disconnected the front three coils with engine running and there was no difference in RPM when I pulled any of them. So I'm not sure if I need to replaced all six ignition coils as a start or what.

Does anyone have any advice or previous experience with these issues?
Old 03-13-2017, 06:48 AM

Received 1,016 Likes on 867 Posts
Hi!
First you don´t disconnect more than 1 coil at a time because you wont have a baseline and the fact the engine cannot possibly run on 3-4 cylinders (let alone 1 whole bank of cylinders) alone Start with 1 coil a time a listen carefully if possible get a buddy inside the car to see the RPM drop which will be noticeable.

When you have fixed the Missfire we can continue to the trans issue.
Old 03-13-2017, 07:40 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by Skirmich
Hi!
First you don´t disconnect more than 1 coil at a time because you wont have a baseline and the fact the engine cannot possibly run on 3-4 cylinders (let alone 1 whole bank of cylinders) alone Start with 1 coil a time a listen carefully if possible get a buddy inside the car to see the RPM drop which will be noticeable.

When you have fixed the Missfire we can continue to the trans issue.

I apologize if I did not make it clear, but I did only disconnect one at a time. I was just stating that I just did the front three to check for a difference. Each coil was disconnected one at a time with my friend inside vehicle. He did not notice change in RPM on either of the front coils being disconnected.
Old 03-13-2017, 04:46 PM

Received 1,016 Likes on 867 Posts
Then test the rear coils.. Do not use the codes as a starting point since the ECU will throw false positives on cylinders that are working alright, Do the rear bank as well.
Old 03-22-2017, 08:06 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If the gas is old enough it can cause a misfire and even black smoke from the tail pipe.
Old 04-03-2017, 07:46 AM
10th Gear

Gas has been used up and refilled multiple times, also did the Seafoam in the gas tank as suggested. Misfire still present, mostly noticeable when car is cold. Once it warms up and has been driving for a minute it shifts smoother and the misfire seems to not occur as much.