Recommendations for Complete Strut & Spring Options + Install Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2017, 09:11 AM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Recommendations for Complete Strut & Spring Options + Install Question

Hey Guys,

As some of you may have seen in this thread, https://acurazine.com/forums/second-...3-tl-s-954491/, I have decided to hang on to my 2003 TL-S (135K miles) for now. One of the things I want to do on it is to replace the front struts. The front right is definitely leaking badly and the car has been always leaning to the right since 2008 when I hit a curb real, real hard. Not sure if replacing the strut will solve the leaning problem, but I believe the leak isn't good so might as well give it a shot.

Anyways, I am a novice DIYer, so I'm trying to find a a complete assembly that includes the strut and the spring rather than trying to buy them separately and compress it myself.

One question I have though, is there any difference between the struts of a TL-S vs. TL-P? Either way, I have found the following options on the web. Does anyone have experience with these or perhaps recommendations for others? Is it also possible to buy the struts and springs separately and have a shop put it together for me?

Here's one from Rockauto for the brand FCS for $150: More Information for FCS 2336305R
Here's one from AM Auto Parts for $109: https://www.am-autoparts.com/product...l?m=585&y=2003
Here's another one from eBay for $155: 99 00 01 02 03 ACURA 3.2 TL FRONT COMPLETE STRUT SHOCK SPRING ASSEMBLY LIFETIME! eBay

Also, as far as the install goes, based on some videos I watched and the service manual, once you have put the new stuff in, you should jack up the knuckle before tightening everything, correct?

Thanks guys!
Old 02-12-2017, 01:05 PM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
The Type S has a stiffer spring than the Type P.

When you say leaning to the right, do you mean steers to the right if you were to let go of the wheel when driving? Or are you taking about stance at stand still?
Old 02-12-2017, 01:26 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Buzzman996
The Type S has a stiffer spring than the Type P.

When you say leaning to the right, do you mean steers to the right if you were to let go of the wheel when driving? Or are you taking about stance at stand still?
Hey Buzzman, so, it's kind of a long story but to answer your question, it will steer to the right if I were to let go. The steering wheel will want to turn and the car will turn. I made a post about it here a while back: https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-tl-t...-right-948998/ and based on that decided to go get an alignment. The shop came back and said they'd recommend replacing the struts first.

So, I figure I'd give it a shot since it's the most obvious part.
Old 02-13-2017, 12:14 PM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
You may also want to consider replacing the sway bar links and tie rods in case they are older... or at least have them handy... you can always return them if you decide not to replace it...