Rear View Mirror exploded!

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2006, 09:45 AM
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by georgy_d28
I posted earlier that not 15 minutes after i put the new mirror on it exploded in the return box...
It exploded, not just leaked, it actually exploded?
Old 09-11-2006, 11:15 AM
'02 TL Type S

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by optomos
Pins-3
Wires-3
Wire Color-Black, Grey, White
Plug color-Blue
Housing color-Black
Is this true on my 02 TL-S as well? I am at work and don't have the ability to pop it open for a look!

I just got the form and want to get this out ASAP.

Thanks!
Old 09-11-2006, 11:18 AM
'02 TL Type S

Originally Posted by Bob_F
Did your mirror actually leak?

If so, was there any warning such as an optical distortion or bubble?

Bob
To follow up on this.. My Mirror did not leak. I just started to get a discoloring and then one day I noticed the top was clear when the bottom was tinted.

I guess this might be the bubbling people describe. But origonally, I thought I must have broken the switch. Thankfully I found this thread while looking for the part number.

Gotta love the good old Acurazine forums!
Old 09-12-2006, 02:30 AM
woooo!!

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
Got a email reply from Dani already... quicker than I thought.

He attached a word doc asking for vehicle & mirror information (like some of you guys) so he/they can verify for a replacement I suppose.
Seems pretty hassle-free so far. Let's hope this continues smoothly Will also update as it goes...
Old 09-12-2006, 11:06 AM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Gcope
I received my replacement mirror from Magna Donnelly last Friday and I installed it this afternoon with no problems. I have to say I am quite impressed with MD's service and commitment to product quality.
I do not share your good impression of Magna Donnelly's committment to service and product quality. Since July 20th, I have been trying to get them to reimburse me for the purchase I made of a new mirror. I discovered this thread in the process of looking for advice on how to install the new mirror that I had just purchased at the Acura dealer.

So far, Heath has not responded to my email or voice mails. Dani has said that she has talked to Heath about my request and that he will check into the policy on reimbursement. That was back on the 31st of August. No answer, yet. I do not expect one. Right now, they are replacing mirrors as a "courtesy" to owners who agree to return the old mirror. Clearly, they do not wish to cover those people who have already replaced the defective product and discarded any evidience of the problem.

I am very happy that I found this thread before I started to remove the old mirror. I am very disappointed in the Acura dealership for not warning me about the danger. I am disgusted with Magna Donnelly for not doing a proper recall on this product. How many unsuspecting owners are driving around out there with this time bomb sitting just at eye level?

I am not litigious by nature. So, I am not interested in participating in a lawsuit. But, if there is somebody out there who would like my mirror, as evidence, just let me know.
Old 09-12-2006, 07:08 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by jkloos
I do not share your good impression of Magna Donnelly's committment to service and product quality. Since July 20th, I have been trying to get them to reimburse me for the purchase I made of a new mirror. I discovered this thread in the process of looking for advice on how to install the new mirror that I had just purchased at the Acura dealer.

So far, Heath has not responded to my email or voice mails. Dani has said that she has talked to Heath about my request and that he will check into the policy on reimbursement. That was back on the 31st of August. No answer, yet. I do not expect one. Right now, they are replacing mirrors as a "courtesy" to owners who agree to return the old mirror. Clearly, they do not wish to cover those people who have already replaced the defective product and discarded any evidience of the problem.

I am very happy that I found this thread before I started to remove the old mirror. I am very disappointed in the Acura dealership for not warning me about the danger. I am disgusted with Magna Donnelly for not doing a proper recall on this product. How many unsuspecting owners are driving around out there with this time bomb sitting just at eye level?

I am not litigious by nature. So, I am not interested in participating in a lawsuit. But, if there is somebody out there who would like my mirror, as evidence, just let me know.
Let just clear up my offer. You can have my old mirror. It is from a 1999 Acura TL. It has a bubble in it, but, it has not yet started to leak.
Old 09-13-2006, 11:19 AM
Intermediate

Exploding Rearview Mirror

Yes, I do need your mirror as evidence, as my Acura dealer REFUSED to return mine when they uninstalled it. My mirror had literally EXPLODED a black liquid substance all over the interior of my car. Please let me know how I can reach you to discuss details of shipping. I will cover all costs involved.

Old 09-13-2006, 11:20 AM
Intermediate

Yes, I do need your mirror as evidence, as my Acura dealer REFUSED to return mine when they uninstalled it. My mirror had literally EXPLODED a black liquid substance all over the interior of my car. Please let me know how I can reach you to discuss details of shipping. I will cover all costs involved.
Old 09-13-2006, 03:00 PM
TL = Tranny Lubrication

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Basically the form asks for your vehicle information: Model Year/type, vin number colour of the housing your address and your phone number. Also providing your detailed description of the mirror problem.

Old 09-13-2006, 03:56 PM
Cruisin'

Question ...nothing dead or decaying in the car.

Originally Posted by indyboribbon
A couple other things to note which may be coincidence but I have no other explanation:
-About a week or two before it was parked the car had a sulfur/rotten egg like smell which could also be caused by irregularities in the heating/cooling system. The heat or a/c were never on and since discovering the explosion, there has been no odor. To date, I have also not found anything dead or decaying in the car...
Boy, while I've sat reading all the posts and realizing mine is messed up too (it stopped working and has had a floating bubble in it for some time) I didn't get too excited til I read "indyboribbon's" post making the comment about a smell in the cabin of something dead or decaying. I haven't seen anyone else mention this as a part of the mirror failing but it leaves me wondering if the mirror is the source of the odor.

I'm drafting an email of complaint & concern to Mr Lynam & Mr Baumgardner of Magna Donnelly and will quote many of the points brought up in this thread. I also plan to question why it is that they had at one point stopped answering to the requests for replacements and have now resumed with otherwise unquestioning comply's. I had called their corperate number back when they must have been "getting inundated with requests" and chaulked it up to a good thing being ruined through the power of the internet. Interesting that one person files a class-action and they resume replacing their product via "good-will".
Old 09-15-2006, 07:56 PM
woooo!!

Talking

Wow! I sent in the information sheet Dani asked me to fill out (VIN #, mirror plug wire colors, etc) and he sent out the replacement via fedex the next business day. It just arrived earlier today. I am out of town right now but once I get back im gonna put the sucka on
Old 09-15-2006, 09:03 PM
HELP!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
word, i also got my mirror in today. Install was a breeze.
Old 09-16-2006, 12:28 PM
5th Gear

Magna Donnelly

Well, Magna Donnelly seems to be all over the map on responses. Sometimes they are quick. Sometimes they are slow. Sometimes they totally ignore you. But, they and Acura have not done the right thing by notifying people about something that is potentially very dangerous. Even if the contents of the mirror are non-toxix and only ruin you interior, what would happen if one of these things decides to blow while you're tooling down the highway at 65 MPH?

I have personally warned three other Acura owners about this problem. They had no idea about the danger. I am going to print up some cards that explain the problem and start leaving them on windshields of cars that might be affected.

This is just another example of a corporation reduding the safety of its customers to a dollar and cents equation. It is wrong. Magna Donnelly and/or Acura should do the correct thing and recall this product.

I still have my old mirror. I sent a private message to cemflc on how to contact me, but, I have not had a response, yet. Here's another idea. Is there somebody on this forum who has access to a chemical lab? It would be good to do an analysis of the liquid in side this product and post the results for everyone to see.
Old 09-20-2006, 01:54 AM
woooo!!

old & new mirror:

Replacement was very simple, just 4 screws & some nudging, bam!

I feel much safer with the new mirror now... autodim actually works now too!!

Those of you who have the weird bubbble should get to it immediately.
Old 09-23-2006, 04:50 PM
woooo!!

kris, or any other mods: do you think we can sticky this thread? i believe this is a very serious issue and all car owners should be informed about it... thanks!
Old 09-24-2006, 08:32 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by subtledreamer
kris, or any other mods: do you think we can sticky this thread? i believe this is a very serious issue and all car owners should be informed about it... thanks!
I second that request! Magna needs to do a recall!!!
Old 09-25-2006, 04:10 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by cemcflc
Magna needs to do a recall!!!
Maybe a recall will be a result of your class action lawsuit. What happened to that?
Old 09-25-2006, 07:54 AM
The Talk of New York

could somebody please tell me if they will replace my mirror. I have an 02 TL-S and I dont really see anything wrong with it yet, but I just wanna be on the safe side and get it replaced.

Could somebody please provide me with the contact information for this company, as I wanna get this done asap, thanks
Old 09-25-2006, 11:35 AM
1st Gear

Thumbs up Magna Donnelly was very responsive to me

I had no problem getting my mirror replaced. I sent the following email to Dani (Dani.Andriacchi@magnadon.com) and got a reply the same day with a form to fill-out (all that was left was VIN# and my address). Got my new mirror only 3 days after my intial email. I could not have asked for better service from a company.
Dani,

I have an Acura TL that has your basic EC Mirror. I have encountered what appears to be a known defect in the product. I noticed the problem the other day. A lighter color "bubble" started in the middle of the mirror. It has now moved such that the top half of my mirror is light and the bottom half is dark. I have read in newsgroups that this liquid can leak out and cause damage to the inside of the vehicle. Is it possible to get a replacement for this mirror?
Old 09-25-2006, 01:56 PM
The Talk of New York

I just received the form via email, and there are a few things I gotta fill out.

What Color are the wires?
What color is the plug?

I have an 02 TL-S, so could somebody with the same year please answer the above questions, thanks
Old 09-25-2006, 02:00 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Gamezilla
I just received the form via email, and there are a few things I gotta fill out.

What Color are the wires?
What color is the plug?

I have an 02 TL-S, so could somebody with the same year please answer the above questions, thanks
The answers are somewhere in this thread but it's become so long it's hard to find any useful info. Here's the info you need.

Wires are Black, Grey, White
Plug is blue
Old 09-25-2006, 02:08 PM
The Talk of New York

thanks alot for the info Mike, I just sent the email so hopeully I'll get my mirror soon.

and also, since my mirror isnt showing any signs of damage yet, when they get it, will they make me pay for the new one?
Old 09-25-2006, 03:32 PM
Drifting

thanks alot for the info Mike, I just sent the email so hopeully I'll get my mirror soon.
You're welcome.

and also, since my mirror isnt showing any signs of damage yet, when they get it, will they make me pay for the new one?
They didn't for me and mine wasn't showing any signs of damage either. I opened the box, put the new on one, put the old one back in the box, slid in the return FedEx slip into the plastic envelope on the outside of the box (it's inside the plastic envelope along with the one that has your address on it), taped the box shut and dropped it in a FedEx 'mailbox'.
Old 09-25-2006, 03:46 PM
The Talk of New York

cool, so im all good then, cause I just received an email from Dani saying that he will process my form today and will ship out my mirror tomorrow.

thanks alot for all the help and info
Old 09-26-2006, 10:33 AM
Cruisin'

Another "atta-boy"!

I also received a very fast and positive response after returning completed form. Mirror being shipped via FedEx same day they received the form and also provided me with tracking info. Thank you Dani and MagnaDonnelly!
Old 09-26-2006, 10:37 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by MikePA
Maybe a recall will be a result of your class action lawsuit. What happened to that?
The case is still in progress and may be for quite some time. The lawfirm that I've selected specializes in vehicle tort and they're located in Miami (near my home).

I just called a few minutes ago to get an update, but my attorney is currently working on another deadline. I should hear back from him, shortly.
Old 09-26-2006, 11:11 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by cemcflc
hey why dont everyone send him pictures so he has some evidence to work with. maybe we all can get it replaced for free from acura if the recall goes through. mine hasnt gone bad yet but if it does ill probably have to look back into this thread.
Old 09-27-2006, 05:04 PM
'02 TL Type S

People keep asking for this so I am reposting:

Pins-3
Wires-3
Wire Color-Black, Grey, White
Plug color-Blue
Housing color-Black

My request sent in today!
Old 09-30-2006, 10:45 PM
Instructor

I got my replacement in a couple of days ago, but just got around to installing it tonight. Installation was relatively painless, but the hardest part was getting my new mirror to slide onto the metal bracket on the windshield. I ended up having to loosen the torx screw on the mirrors bracket just a little. One I did that though, it went on with just a little coaxing. Other than that it seems to work great!
Old 09-30-2006, 10:58 PM
The Talk of New York

can somebody please tell me how to disconnect the wire that comes from the mirror?
Old 10-01-2006, 12:26 AM
Instructor

In case you havn't done it already, you need to take off the sunglass holder/maplight combo. To do that you have to remove four philips screws. Two are easily accessible when you open the sunglass holder, and the second two are only accessible after you take off the maplight diffuser. To take off the maplight diffuser, you can just stick a small flathead screwdriver into the small slots in the front of it and pry it out slightly. Once you get this off, the two screws are easily visible, and with those removed, the console comes out nicely. With the console hanging there, you will see several sets of wires, but the only thing you need to concern yourself with is the plastic connector that you should see in the center. Just sqeeze the tab on it and pull and it should come right off. The rest should be self-explanitory.
Old 10-03-2006, 12:40 PM
'02 TL Type S

Ok, mine is done! The turn around from the email to getting the new mirror ended up being about 4 days.

The removal was easy and I am now good to go! Thanks for all the help on this one.
Old 10-04-2006, 10:48 PM
8th Gear

I also have a replacement mirror. Very pleased with Dani, and the company response.
Old 10-09-2006, 11:47 AM
ballengerross

10-9-06-- My rearview mirror leaked and I called Magna Donnely and they replaced it for free- they even provided a return shipping label so shipping them the old one back didn't cost anything. I saw some comments in this thread that they were not honoring warranty any longer, but I had no problem with them whatsoever. Still curious if the stuff that leaked is dangerous?
The lady I eventually dealt with at Magna Donnelly is Dani Andriacchi. She was very helpful and polite. Her direct number is (616) 786-5115.
See instructions elsewhere in this thread about how to replace. That advice was perfect and absolutely necessary since it was not very clear how to remove the old mirror.
Good luck!
Old 10-09-2006, 12:34 PM
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 49 Posts
Old or New Version of Rear View Mirror

How ca we tell if the mirror in our car is EC Mirror or the Newer version of the Mirror? Can we tell by looking at the mirror?
Old 10-09-2006, 02:59 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
wow, I just noticed my mirror getting the bubble yesterday. I've emailed Dani and await her response. Do you guys think it would be a good idea to just take the mirror out now and live without a rearview until i can get a replacement?
Old 10-09-2006, 05:42 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by acutee
How ca we tell if the mirror in our car is EC Mirror or the Newer version of the Mirror? Can we tell by looking at the mirror?
Remove the sunglasses holder and map light assembly and check the plug at the end of the wires coming from the mirror. OEM has a blue plug, the new one is gray.
Old 10-09-2006, 08:34 PM
10th Gear

officially the next victim of a rupturing rearview...luckily, i happened to have a cloth on my passenger seat right when it started dripping. i first noticed the "amoeba" bubble about one hour before rupture. temp was 78F.
Old 10-09-2006, 10:32 PM
No He Can't

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Health Risk

READ THIS!
Was very interesting to hear what this guy has to say. Not sure how true it is but it seems reasonable since MagnaDonnelly seems so open to giving new replacements without asking many questions. Mine has the bubble and I am trying to contact Magna about getting a new one.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...ht=health+risk
Old 10-09-2006, 11:21 PM
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 49 Posts
Thanks much for the info. Appreciate it.

Originally Posted by MikePA
Remove the sunglasses holder and map light assembly and check the plug at the end of the wires coming from the mirror. OEM has a blue plug, the new one is gray.

Quick Reply: Rear View Mirror exploded!