The mechanic kept my car for two weeks

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2017, 07:33 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The mechanic kept my car for two weeks

I had the transmission replaced in my TL the mechanic kept the car for two weeks. He replaced the rear main seal as well. Now I have an oil leak that seems to be coming from the oil filter? I don't think that this is my engine; I can't put my finger on it, but something looks odd.
​​​​How do I tell if the mechanic swapped my engine? Are there any serial numbers I can look for?
Old 02-12-2017, 01:19 PM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
That's alot of work to steal your engine. I would think you have a coincidental oil leak. I would mek sure it coming from filter area first, then I would jack it up do and oil change w/ new filter. or you could just change the filter and add a quart of oil. If it's coming from you oil filter it may have been put on too tight or a gasket issue on the filter. When you remove it inspect the area for a smooth gasket surface. The oil filter metal threads are softer than the engine threads, so the filter will strip first. When tightening, I just hand tighten pretty good. Then check for leaks.
The following users liked this post:
I1100ran (07-01-2017)
Old 02-12-2017, 04:22 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts
Man no one in world would bother to do it.
Old 02-12-2017, 08:46 PM

Received 1,016 Likes on 867 Posts
2 Weeks? What the hell he was doing with it? We swapped the AV6 in a single day in a transmission shop.
I1100ran (07-01-2017)
Old 02-13-2017, 06:24 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 185 Likes on 150 Posts
So what your asserting is he not only took yours out but sourced another and installed that? Sounds like my level of paranoia but its very highly unlikely due to costs he would do that and to answer your question yes most blocks are stamped with some identifier to track to the car. Where it is on this motor I have no clue. This is sounding like a coincidence. How many miles on motor? And if its from the filter you sure its not result residual from a recent change or other work?
I1100ran (07-01-2017)
Old 02-13-2017, 07:11 AM
Intermediate

Thank you

I think I'm just paranoid because it took so long. He got another transmission out of Japan, problem is it's dropping gears and being erratic to. Car is going back to him today.
Old 02-13-2017, 07:31 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Buzzman996
That's alot of work to steal your engine. I would think you have a coincidental oil leak. I would mek sure it coming from filter area first, then I would jack it up do and oil change w/ new filter. or you could just change the filter and add a quart of oil. If it's coming from you oil filter it may have been put on too tight or a gasket issue on the filter. When you remove it inspect the area for a smooth gasket surface. The oil filter metal threads are softer than the engine threads, so the filter will strip first. When tightening, I just hand tighten pretty good. Then check for leaks.
Originally Posted by bbsitum
Man no one in world would bother to do it.
Originally Posted by Skirmich
2 Weeks? What the hell he was doing with it? We swapped the AV6 in a single day in a transmission shop.
my mistake...I'm a bumbass this morning...I think I may have entered a complaint on this instead of a reply. I apologize to you. Please forgive me but, I haven't had any coffee yet.
Old 02-14-2017, 09:51 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Why on earth would he get a trans from Japan? The car is made in America, the JDM tans isnt any different or better. Ot just costs more to get.

Have the Mechanic put in the AV6 trans. DO NOT call it a SWAP...... Most shops mechanics will stay away from it thinking its going to be complicated or have to modify and dont want the responsibility. Source out a AV6 trans and simply swap over the range switch and solenoids that need to be swapped over as they are slightly different and call it a day.